Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Watch Almost 1 7 Minutes of Magic: Legends Beastcaller Gameplay

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageWatch Almost 1 7 Minutes of Magic: Legends Beastcaller Gameplay

Check out nearly 17 minutes of Magic: Legends Beastcaller gameplay.

Read the full story here

Comments

• mandark91mandark91 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    edited February 2020
    How do the spells work? It seems he has a lot of different spells which is not quite common in these types of games. I kinda like it.
    Buschkatze
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    I'm in!
    Tokken
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Ok, you have to pay me to play this crap!
    UnrealRpgdeniterNephethBuschkatzeAlexander.BPanzerbeorne39gastovski1

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Like how they shifted away from just wizard classes.

Hoping to see some heavy melee next preferably a dwarf ;D
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited February 2020

mandark91 said:

How do the spells work? It seems he has a lot of different spells which is not quite common in these types of games.
    I kinda like it.

yeah changes spells on the fly? there is a charge icon down X button
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited February 2020
    I've written this off as the first Cryptic game I won't even try, right after the first two alpha footages. Still, I always fell for it and check the interviews/videos in hope - just to end up with the foul taste in the mouth renewed.

At least their targeting works decently, based on the comments under the video, there's the "I hate Magic and TCGs but I love diablo" people, the "nice, but action ain't fast enough compared to diablo" voices, etc.

I kinda miss the mention of the fact, here's a 17 minutes long video of Magic Legends, and not one second of said time has the slightest resemblance of MtG... a real shame.
    Panzerbeorne39
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Looks good!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    It looks nice.  However, there is one thing I really hate in ARPGs -- predetermined mob spawns.  If you watch, you will notice that the spell casting frequently occurs in areas, just before a hoard of enemies appear.  This makes the "encounter" more of a memorized sequence of activities than anything more reactive.  You learn how to "beat" a map only by knowing what and where the enemies will appear.  It makes these type of games more like executing pattern than an action game.

But, still, it looked good.  I guess that's okay if that's all you are wanting from a game.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Can never have to many ARPGS , great time killers , and Legends looks to be shaping up nicely
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    When I saw the boars charging I new I was gonna play this game right then.
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Looks pretty damn good for a pre-alpha. I'm looking forward to it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The effect animations look good but it pretty much ends there.

Appears to be an arpg with a similar overhead camera.Also appears to be an instance game similar to arpg's.
    I guess we need some competition for POE and Diablo.Instead of gem slots you get card slots.
    QSatu

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    PoE is all you need.
    [Deleted User]NephethIceAgeCryomatrixgastovski1
  • BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240
    This is indeed.. a super hard pass.

• ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Hmm, looks awesome to me, makes me wonder why some of you dislike it, for alpha looks dam good.
    NephethultimateduckLeiHngWei
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Rhoklaw said:

So, I bought the $100 Founders pack for Albion Online back in like 2015. Not a huge fan of isometric games, but I decided to finally activate my account 5 years later and give it a go. Again, nothing, and I mean nothing is more annoying than using your mouse clicks to move / dodge.

I can only wonder how much better Albion Online would have been in a 3D world environment.

That being said, I just can't find a single reason to ever invest in isometric games anymore. At least for me.

Looks Like Pagan Online and it has wasd controls.

[Deleted User]
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Private Mazel was pretty disgruntled. I like the way it looks and plays the summons vary and different animals are called forth . Probably will try it out for sure.
    Chamber of Chains
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Hmm, looks awesome to me, makes me wonder why some of you dislike it, for alpha looks dam good.

For someone like me , who have been playing games such as D3 and PoE and looking forward for (especially) D4 and PoE2, this looks very, very inferior. For me it looks like a pre-pre-alpha KS game(play).
    SlyLoKPo_gg

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    This looks really good already.
    IceAge said:
    For someone like me , who have been playing games such as D3 and PoE and looking forward for (especially) D4 and PoE2, this looks very, very inferior. For me it looks like a pre-pre-alpha KS game(play).
    And for someone like me, who have been playing Cryptic games since CoH, played MtG for a couple years (and playing still, in digital format), this looks a total letdown.
    Also I don't like diablo clones, so that is the icing on the (crap)cake.

My main gripes are: it ain't an MMORPG (there goes the interest of my Cryptic fan side), and ain't MtG either (there goes the rest of my interest).
    The fact it's a diablo clone on top of that, is only a minor insult added to the injury...

Sid Meier already presented a great formulae for open world rpg elements and multiplayer mixed with the authentic MtG gameplay, more than 20 years ago.
    Just slap Cryptic's engine on that game, add in a few hundred cards from the last 20 years, and that's it, you have a good and fun MtG MMORPG.

Instead, they did this... a lame single/co-op lobby diablo game, with some MtG words painted on a few spells. A wasted opportunity, really.
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Po_gg said:
    IceAge said:
    And for someone like me, who have been playing Cryptic games since CoH, played MtG for a couple years (and playing still, in digital format), this looks a total letdown.
    Also I don't like diablo clones, so that is the icing on the (crap)cake.

My main gripes are: it ain't an MMORPG (there goes the interest of my Cryptic fan side), and ain't MtG either (there goes the rest of my interest).
    The fact it's a diablo clone on top of that, is only a minor insult added to the injury...

Sid Meier already presented a great formulae for open world rpg elements and multiplayer mixed with the authentic MtG gameplay, more than 20 years ago.
    Just slap Cryptic's engine on that game, add in a few hundred cards from the last 20 years, and that's it, you have a good and fun MtG MMORPG.

Instead, they did this... a lame single/co-op lobby diablo game, with some MtG words painted on a few spells. A wasted opportunity, really.

You know this isn't beta or even alpha... it's pre-alpha. They put together something to show basic gameplay. Stop pretending this is a finished product that is ready to be released in its current state.

Some of you people will cry about everything. If they release nothing to show gameplay, they are "keeping everyone in the dark because their game sucks". If they release something to show progress, their game is "a crappy Diablo clone".

Pre-alpha people.... pre-alpha.
    cmacqLeiHngWei
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    This looks incredibly bad. I wouldn't even show this.
    IceAge
  • crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Looks pretty polished. Also, looks pretty generic.

Map is linear, yet they have a quest direction marker? Talk about hand holding.....jesus.
    mazut
    Gorwe said:
    Po_gg said:
    I kinda miss the mention of the fact, here's a 17 minutes long video of Magic Legends, and not one second of said time has the slightest resemblance of MtG... a real shame.

Does it need to have a resemblance though? A lot of these Planes / Settings could be used for other genres (a)RPG, (Grand) RTS, Action-Adventures, Horrors etc.
    I might be a purist, but... hmm, I do ramble a lot on how and why those watered down "mmo-lites" aren't MMORPGs... lemme rephrase that:

As a purist ( :) ) I believe it does, yes. MtG is first and foremost the actual gameplay, the lore and setting are only backing it up. It's a pretty vast lore, I agree, and they could make an actual RPG around it - and then, from that RPG there could be easier branching off to different directions.
    But at the moment MtG is about deck building and strategic card duels, and not mindless action. Imo, naturally.

That still gives place to a lot a variations, like the aformentioned Sid Meier MtG 20 years ago. Top-down (kinda isometric) view, where you move your mage on an open world, taking quests (sure, mostly kill quests), fighting mobs and bosses, visit towns with NPCs, etc. The "slight" difference is that you do it for getting more cards, to build your deck, and when it's combat time then it's real MtG.

This Legends has nothing besides the "4 random spells from a pre-selected 12", which ain't even new, SotA had that same mechanic years ago. If only Garriot knew that's enough for the coastal Wizards...
    Magic Shroud of the Gathering Avatar. It has a nice ring to it :)
    Gorwe
    Gorwe said:
    Thank you. WoTC is trying to expand, to gather more casual audience. 
    I agree, and based on the hype around Wolcen and similar games probably this one will be popular enough to make money, which is a good thing overall - maybe more money then to CO and STO... (I know, keep on dreaming)

Sadly it really scratches the "not me"s for me either, and it makes me a bit grumpy... I'd love to have a MtG MMORPG, even if the genre is dead now and just "mmos" are everywhere.

The only good thing with this attempt to reach a different audience, compared to an another Legends (cough Funcom...), is that Cryptic has a new game.
    It might be a missed opportunity for a lot of players (who've waited for something more MtG), but at least it doesn't kill off an another game to step in its place.

I sure will skip it, I fail to see how it could serve as an advertisement and bring any Legends player over to actual MtG, but if it's a fun game for a bunch of diablo-liking people, good for them.

(if WotC really wanna expand, and not by enhancing and updating the old MtG game which would be the best route, they should build a Witcher 3-like open world game around the lore. And then put an easy-mode version of MtG within as a side-activity, like Gwent in Witcher.
    Would be much more effective for bringing people in, than a mere diablo clone.)