Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Turns 21, Details New Overseer Feature

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageEverQuest Turns 21, Details New Overseer Feature

EverQuest, one of the hallmarks of the MMORPG genre, is turning 21 this year, and the folks at Daybreak are still going strong.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    You're 21 now (or very soon). You can drink. Go ahead. It will help you forget you're owned by Daybreak.
    lotrlorekitaradnewbismxShinyFlygonMcSleazTacticalZombehdragonlee66strawhat0981Sovrathmigthefig

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Is this like auto-questing or something from mobile games? So confused.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Amathe said:

You're 21 now (or very soon). You can drink. Go ahead. It will help you forget you're owned by Daybreak.

You mean Darkpaw ;-)

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Utinni said:

Is this like auto-questing or something from mobile games? So confused.

If you ever used the followers table in WoW its similiar to that. You "recruit" these NPCs that you send out on time-based missions and they have a probability of returning something of value. We dont know what that will be in EQ but they said its purpose is to help people catch up so I'm thinking gear, plat, or something like that.
    jimmywolfLackingMMOUtinni

• ShinyFlygonShinyFlygon Member UncommonPosts: 332

Amathe said:

You mean Darkpaw ;-)

... a division of Daybreak.
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260

Amathe said:

You mean Darkpaw ;-)

... a division of Daybreak.

I have to say... when EQ first went from Sony to Daybreak, the consensus was it was the death of EQ. It seems to me that DB has done a decent job of sustaining the game, and has kept the updates and expansions coming. Nothing is perfect, and no game company hits all the marks.
    Reverielle
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Sounds like auto-raiding to me. The only way to catch up in the game is to get raid geared for the next level of raids. The rest of the non-raid content is superfluous. Platinum is worthless thanks to the invention of Krono. It's next to impossible to get people together to do older raids so you can gear up for the newer raids.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Sounds like auto-raiding to me. The only way to catch up in the game is to get raid geared for the next level of raids. The rest of the non-raid content is superfluous. Platinum is worthless thanks to the invention of Krono. It's next to impossible to get people together to do older raids so you can gear up for the newer raids.
    This is pretty much why the game started dying in 2002-2003. Group gear was no where near viable for raid content of the same era. You had to get raid gear from previous expansions to do even current group content. Top tier raid items from Velious (2000) are on par with group items from OoW (2004). The only thing they did to soften the issue was the 85/15 rule which just wasn't enough. 

I'm all about requiring you to flag and do prior raids for content (like TBC WoW) but EQ just never gave even a slight head start 5-6 years into the games life. I did enjoy having reasons to do last expansions raids still, but for a new player needing to find a guild doing 3 year old raids was really tough.
    Mendel
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    I might re-install & play around again. EQ began the glory days of community driven mmos imo. I subscribed to EQ shortly after Scars of Velious & stayed subscribed till right before Gates of Discord. What killed it for me was the game got to a point where I couldn't keep pace with those Alternative Points & the entire game seemed to focus lots more on raiding content & I liked soloing or small grouping so lost more & more interest & unsubscribed.

I even tried EQ2 for a year & had fun initially. It's still the only game where I actually enjoyed the crafting system & my all time favorite mount that rhinoceros. Only played & was subscribed for a year though, it was decent & good but nothing that hooked me.

I even think I still have some Station Cash on my old dusty account lol.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Utinni said:
    This is pretty much why the game started dying in 2002-2003. Group gear was no where near viable for raid content of the same era. You had to get raid gear from previous expansions to do even current group content. Top tier raid items from Velious (2000) are on par with group items from OoW (2004). The only thing they did to soften the issue was the 85/15 rule which just wasn't enough. 

I'm all about requiring you to flag and do prior raids for content (like TBC WoW) but EQ just never gave even a slight head start 5-6 years into the games life. I did enjoy having reasons to do last expansions raids still, but for a new player needing to find a guild doing 3 year old raids was really tough.

I think you highlight one of EQ's few major failings -- the inability to "catch up".  The development mindset was to cater to the player who was at the limit of the game, never to consider the "new" player.  It was next to impossible for a casual-geared tank to actually tank in each new expansion.  For Instance, the Dragons of Norrath expansion was so tough that a casual tank simply couldn't survive in most of the missions.  The missions were absolutely necessary to gain points in order to buy the gear to help "catch up".  However, that same gear was pretty weak compared to raid drops from the GoD/OOW expansions (and some of the older expansions).

The result, raiders with quality gear were needed in order to tank the content, but the gear wasn't an upgrade for them, so they were disinterested in doing the missions.  The gap between raiders and casuals peaked in that era.

The developer's answer?  Defiant armor.  At least, it was supposed to be an answer.  It wasn't.  Even today, a casual 70th level tank with full Defiant gear has significant difficulty doing the same DoN content unless they have Auto-Grant (AAs) enabled.  Auto-grant requires All Access, so F2P players will find themselves with no place where they can succeed because they will have neither the gear nor AAs necessary to actually "catch up" and join a raid guild.

It really sounds like this new expansion is going to attempt to fix the problem by allowing new players to create new 85th level characters.  That's not likely to work, much like it really didn't work for EQ2.  The new characters will be given new level appropriate gear, but that isn't likely to be sufficient to function beyond level 87-88, if EQ2 is any guide.  Putting a new starting level gear doesn't address the lack of non-raid gear progression, nor the nightmarish time investments that the game requires.

foppotee

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Eq made strides in later xpacs to really improve group gear. I think that started to change around SOD? It bridged the gap more than in previous xpacs where raid gear was essential to be of any value. It's still a very very raid heavy game, though. Getting to 21 years is one hell of an achievement. UO and EQ are still chugging along and that's pretty amazing when you see how many games have died since the late 90s.
    foppotee
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    My,my 21 years old. How could I have ever realised when I saw that beautiful elf staring at me from a display in a huge computer shop in Singapore that I would be carrying on a love affair with this genre for next 21 years. 
    Chamber of Chains
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    EQ needs to take a page from the WoW handbook for catch-up mechanics. Gear in particular is highly problematic for a new player. There needs to be a set of entry level quests that reward "Heirloom" style gear that scale up with the player as they level to max level and be slightly worse than tier 1 group gear from the current xpac upon reaching max level and equal to raid gear before max level. Nobody is really chasing loot during a leveling process so I don't see this as a problem, just a solution.