Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What’s Your Biggest MMO Shame?

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageWhat’s Your Biggest MMO Shame?

Without a ton of new MMOs on the horizon, I tend to just go back to old haunts and try to work on things I always planned to do but never did for one reason or another. Some of these things shame me to admit, but it’s time for a confession.

Read the full story here

Comments

• sunnyortegosunnyortego Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I can't stick to a single character and must restart over and over.
    AeanderrojoArcueidultimateduckBonejokerAmatheUngoodAgent_JosephxpsyncMeddlesyltmackaand 2 others.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I played Star Trek Online.  After playing, I came back three times over the years in hopes it would get better.  Alas I am not only a fool, but a fool's fool.
    psychosiz1HuntrezzUngoodHarikenfoppoteenycplayboy78
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I play project entropia. 
    EponyxDamor[Deleted User]
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AngryElfAngryElf Member UncommonPosts: 194
    ArcheAge
    ultimateduckUngoodnycplayboy78
  • samooryesordsamooryesord Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I can't enjoy endgame in MMORPG. I do a few raids or dungeons but I quickly find the gear grind boring and pointless so I make an alt and start over again. I enjoy the leveling process a lot more.
    HiromantElalandBuschkatzeAlomar[Deleted User]TheocritusHarikenmeerclarcheyaneRyuushimaand 4 others.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I have a lot of regrets.

I never reached max level in original Everquest.

I never got Earthcaller for my epic in original Everquest, only Swiftwind.

There was some huge turtle in EQ, Lodizal, who dropped a back piece I wanted very much. Never could get a group going at the right time and place, or win the roll.

I was accepted into a guild called Jaggedpine Defenders in EQ, but quit the game without following through. They were good folks. I should have given them a try.

I never became a Jedi in original SWG.

I never reached max level in CoH.

I started several hunter characters in WoW but never got anywhere. Maxed out Mage, Warlock and Warrior. Hunter pets always looked so cool.

This one hurts me. Secret World had some kind of test you had to pass to attend the highest level content. Never passed it. I suck. So much fail.

I wish I had just once kept my account and password when I rage quit a game so I could return if I wanted. But I burn bridges.

I didn't give ESO a fair chance.

I'm sure there are more regrets. I have suitcases full of them.

BuschkatzeUngoodCryomatrixcheyanexpsyncScotty787Hluillnycplayboy78

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    SWtOR, all of it. Hated it in Beta but still purchased because of my guild going all in.

Not spending enough time in Auto Assault before it shut down.

Discovering Tabula Rasa way too late so I only had 6 months left to play it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    psychosiz1HuntrezzUngood
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Despite having played DAoC for almost a decade, I never reached a high RR or got my lone enforcer title. I'm a horrible alt-aholic and have probably 20 RR4+ but my highest RR on a single character is RR8, and the most solo kills I have on any character is my warrior at just under 600... far short of the 2k required.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Spending hundreds of dollars on Marvel Heroes.

Oof.
    ScotUngoodnycplayboy78psiic
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Amathe said:

I have a lot of regrets.

There was some huge turtle in EQ, Lodizal, who dropped a back piece I wanted very much. Never could get a group going at the right time and place, or win the roll.

He dropped a piece of his shell that you turned in with gold to an otter person for a back piece. GET IT RIGHT NERD
    Amathelotrloreultimateducknycplayboy78
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    My biggest regret?  I *enjoyed* PWI.  My second biggest regret.  I played PWI.

[Deleted User]BuschkatzelotrlorePo_ggUngoodcheyanenycplayboy78psiic

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Utinni said:
    He dropped a piece of his shell that you turned in with gold to an otter person for a back piece. GET IT RIGHT NERD
    I commend your memory. I thought i did well to remember the mob name and item type. I'm old mate. And this was early 2002.
    meerclarcheyaneRidelynnNyghthowler

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 555
    Utinni said:

Amathe said:

I have a lot of regrets.

All this is missing is the requisite, "Um, actually - "
    AmatheultimateduckRidelynnNyghthowler
  • reslresl Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    edited February 2020
    GW2 - Fashion wars. Players can reach nearly the best possible gear(stats-wise, except the infusions) way too easy.. Then what's left is just endless grind for the looks, which does not give me any sense of progression but I spent so many hours hoping that I will find joy in this game..
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    lotrlore said:
    Utinni said:

Amathe said:

I have a lot of regrets.

All this is missing is the requisite, "Um, actually - "
    *pushes glasses up*
    Amathelotrloreultimateduck[Deleted User]Ridelynn
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Heavensward and Shadowbringers are hands down the best expansions FFXIV has, yep.
    ShB more than made up for the rushed feeling Stormblood.

I'm kind of in the same boat with GW2 and ESO. Although GW2 is in part because of what NCSoft did to CoH back then. Which sank my hype for the game so badly that I didn't really play it until years later. ESO, I can never really love the character models. Which makes it hard to really get invested in it, despite liking some of the other gameplay aspects it has.
    Buschkatzenycplayboy78

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Believing for years that MJ wasn't/isn't a con man.

and leaving SWG to play WoW cause it was the "new" thing.
    Ungood
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    I got into Runes of Magic for awhile and I bought 50 bucks worth of diamonds. Worst part is I quit not long after and I probably still have 40 dollars worth left....
  • JensynJensyn Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I still haven't attained the Legendary Defender of Ascalon title from GW. I went back a couple of months ago and decided to make a new character to see how far I could get pre-searing. I think I made it to about level 13 or so, and life kind of took over and I just stopped playing.

I didn't realize but there's still a huge pre-searing GW community. Folks that made it to 20 and just kind of stay around trading, talking, helping folks. I kind of feel the itch to pick it back up again. I really wanted to take the cape with me all the way to the end, across expansions, so I could give it to Gwen. Just as a nostalgia thing. That might make a neat article-going back and revisiting it again.  :)
    Bookmarks are for quitters. 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

DMKano said:

I used to defend Trion and their bullshit - shame level above 9000

Also used to defend game developers shitty decisions and practices .... shame level infinite 

Live and learn

We forgive you....
    nycplayboy78psiic
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I left EQ2 for WOW before really giving it a fair shot... sorry.
    Hluill
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I don't have any thing that I felt I did, that regret as far as gaming goes, because at the time, I felt it was the right thing to do.

I suppose, really, if I had to say my biggest folly was thinking that any developer would realize their mistake in a timely manner.

Like for example, SSG, in DDO, they made a massive revamp of all the classes, now that alone was not really a problem, they then after this massive revamp, and people that play Wizards, like myself, went and reset all our stats, builds, and in some cases, gear, they went and changed wizards specializations again.

Now in DDO, a re-spec (Called "Hearts of Wood") costs money, and the first time they did give everyone a free re-spec, but when they changed wizards the second time, they just flipped them the bird and expected them to foot the bill of a re-spec if they were not happy with how the Dev's changed things.

I when to their official forums and mentioned that this made me very unhappy, and I did not take it well or hold back my frustration when they told me that If I was not happy with their changes that I should buy the heart and be done with it, and that ended with my Forum Account getting banned.  I am not going to say I wasn't rude.. but my point was valid.

Anyway... Taking that as the hint it was, I left the game. (Apparently, I was not alone), and lo and behold, when I went back, like a year of two later, not sure, there were 2 re-spec Hearts waiting for me, for each and every character I had, apparently, they had changed things again, and this time, they caught the clue that is was a smart thing to give out a free re-spec, when they do that kind of thing.

The thing about going back to games however, is when you chose to leave a game, a large part of the game dies to you, and while I was glad they got the message, I never bothered to use them.. because honestly the time I came back, I was just there to screw around and re-connect with some people I knew, I could not have cared less about the game or my build, or anything else for that matter.

So.. I guess.. in that venture.. my greatest folly or shame as it were, is the belief that Devs will ever really listen to players words, that we can reason with them, we cannot. The only real way to let them know we are unhappy, is not to keep playing and swear never to spend another red cent again.. but to shut the game down and walk away.

That seems to the the only message they will ever get.. so.. I guess while it has taken me years and several games to really grasp that, (I'm hard headed I know) , I would say.. my shame is that I really should have caught that sooner.

But you know.. I don't think I ever would have learned that lesson if I never went back to some of the games that pissed me off so much I left for a long time.

Pity tho, that the game becomes so much more hollow when you come back, like a shell of what it once was, still the same game, but.. just that care and investment is not there anymore.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Mendel said:
    My biggest regret?  I *enjoyed* PWI.  My second biggest regret.  I played PWI.
    Let's poker... I call your PWI, and raise it with Scarlet Blade :) 

Jokes aside, maybe I'm just lucky, or have a thicker skin / less emotions, but I have none to cite. To the article, I mean, about shame.
    I'm pretty much content with my MMORPG past and choices...

Regret is a different story, I have a few of those, but mostly financial.
    I regret not buying LTA in LotRO. I also regret buying two boxes of SWTOR... one would've been suffice.
    Mendel
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    EQ1, EQ2, and WoW were the only MMOs I ever made it to max level....Last one coming around 2005-6