Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pearl Abyss Talks MMO Market In New Interview

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imagePearl Abyss Talks MMO Market In New Interview

In a new interview with Gamesindustry.biz, Pearl Abyss America's CEO Jeonghee Jin spoke about how the MMO markets are diverging.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well this guy would be correct if looking at games from my own personal perspective however from most others ...nope.

I have higher expectations and i break down games piece by piece to decide if there was much effort put into them and are they worth playing.
    BDO is NOT a game design i want to play,not even remotely close,i deleted the game in the first week i started playing.

Has the developer evolved,are they making change in the right direction,i won;t know because i have zero plans to ever go back to playing BDO.Seeing how much of the initial game was done really badly i would say no this team does not GET IT,they do not understand how to immerse someone in a mmorpg.

It was so bad that every 5 minutes i was shaking my head thinking WTF,do that for 3-4 days and yep i was not happy with my purchase.

I do not like Wowish games or KR mmorpg's,i prefer JRPG but not with the JRPG graphics which are always cartoons/anime.
    MikehaReveriellegastovski1Mendelwingood

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• cloudacvcloudacv Member UncommonPosts: 210

Wizardry said:

Well this guy would be correct if looking at games from my own personal perspective however from most others ...nope.

I have higher expectations and i break down games piece by piece to decide if there was much effort put into them and are they worth playing.

BDO is NOT a game design i want to play,not even remotely close,i deleted the game in the first week i started playing.

Has the developer evolved,are they making change in the right direction,i won;t know because i have zero plans to ever go back to playing BDO.Seeing how much of the initial game was done really badly i would say no this team does not GET IT,they do not understand how to immerse someone in a mmorpg.

It was so bad that every 5 minutes i was shaking my head thinking WTF,do that for 3-4 days and yep i was not happy with my purchase.

I do not like Wowish games or KR mmorpg's,i prefer JRPG but not with the JRPG graphics which are always cartoons/anime.

Cool story
    MikehaGentrifried_ChickenfearuinfomatzArvenasGreatsword
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    DMKano said:
    The thing he should talk about is how BDO cripples base systems and then fixes them via cash shop.

Also the gear upgrade system is pure evil - even if you don't PvP - they keep adding PvE zones that have 250+ AP requirement, 280AP zone coming, after that 310AP zone...

The only way to realistically get that past the soft cap is - well someone has to spend massive amounts of money on artisan memories to enchant gear to PEN

Bottom line - the cash shop is way greedy and there are entirely far too many ways to drain your wallet dry in this game - there are far too many players in game that regularly spend $100s every week.

The game is just too damn expesive if you want to go high end AP

Sounds like XLGames and Kakao are made for each other.
  • fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288
    edited February 2020

DMKano said:

The thing he should talk about is how BDO cripples base systems and then fixes them via cash shop.

Also the gear upgrade system is pure evil - even if you don't PvP - they keep adding PvE zones that have 250+ AP requirement, 280AP zone coming, after that 310AP zone...

The only way to realistically get that past the soft cap is - well someone has to spend massive amounts of money on artisan memories to enchant gear to PEN

Bottom line - the cash shop is way greedy and there are entirely far too many ways to drain your wallet dry in this game - there are far too many players in game that regularly spend $100s every week.

The game is just too damn expesive if you want to go high end AP

I like BDO but this is fairly accurate.

The barrier introduced by the game, made 1/4 as painful by the cash-shop, is too damn high and that's just talking about upgrading your gear to be able to go to those places.

Gear isn't afforded to you like most MMOs. You basically rely on the in game market place for both the right pieces and for upgrades as you need to use other pieces of the same type to repair durability on your gear. The memories make you need 1/4 of them. This shit gets expensive, both in game and IRL fairly quick and easily depletes your in-game finances when you start to upgrade things. Meanwhile, you need to grind grind grind for hours a day earning piddly sums as you can't access the higher AP areas to earn more money.

It's fairly telling that when the game has in-game events that offer anything related to gear upgrades the community swarms them faster then a fat kid to a cupcake. If you are thinking of playing BDO don't do it for the end-game.

KyleranwingoodAzaron_Nightblade
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    edited February 2020

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited February 2020

edited February 2020

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    DMKano said:
    Mikeha said:

$60+ for those 2 costumes = 660 million silver in game if you sell them to other players

BDO is not P2W guys... 
    Do you win a game wearing a fancy costume?
    Who would have thought, you learn something new every day.....
    Mikeha

edited February 2020

TEKK3N said:

DMKano said:

Mikeha said:

$60+ for those 2 costumes = 660 million silver in game if you sell them to other players

BDO is not P2W guys... 

DMKano is off his rocker thinking that this game is terrible by comparison to other games. lol, to me, it sounds like he has spending issues and refuses to touch the game due to his impulsive nature.
    No, it’s not it.
    DMKano was an hardcore Trion fanboy (to put it lightly), and BDO was in direct competition with Archeage, as they are very similar games at their core.

So he always tried to make it look like BDO was a worse P2W game than Archeage, and even now that Archeage brought down the entire studio (Trion) due to the worse P2W cash shop ever implemented in the West, he refuses to let it go.

Meanwhile BDO is still thriving due to its very mild P2W cash shop, though DMKano doesn’t agree with it because, you know.... reasons.

The only reason why I stopped playing BDO it’s because it has shit group PVE, the cash shop never bothered me.
    On the other hand, the reason I quit Archeage was because of the cash shop, as in my opinion AA was a better game than BDO.
    MikehaKyleranTacticalZombehwingood
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

TEKK3N said:

DMKano said:

Mikeha said:

BDO is not P2W guys... 

DMKano is off his rocker thinking that this game is terrible by comparison to other games. lol, to me, it sounds like he has spending issues and refuses to touch the game due to his impulsive nature.

Spending issues are a bad thing?  A game just shouldn't cost $5000 and up to play.  Not if they want me as a player.  Congratulations to you if your idea of a fair price for a game is $5000 or higher, you're clearly doing better than many gamers.  Another $17.75 bottle of water, sir?

The entry cost barrier aside, I have tried BDO on a free trial.  I found the game far below my expectations.  Sure, there were nice graphics, but the game play was simply too simplistic.  About the only decision I ever made involved "should I stop attacking now".  I out-leveled areas just trying to complete quests in that area.  The travel system allowed movement without engaging the world.  At no time did I feel any kind of immersion.  I doubt I'll be back, even for another free weekend.

Mikeha

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

edited February 2020

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

Mendel said:

TEKK3N said:

DMKano said:

Mikeha said:

BDO is not P2W guys... 

Spending issues are a bad thing?  A game just shouldn't cost $5000 and up to play.  Not if they want me as a player.  Congratulations to you if your idea of a fair price for a game is $5000 or higher, you're clearly doing better than many gamers.  Another $17.75 bottle of water, sir?

The entry cost barrier aside, I have tried BDO on a free trial.  I found the game far below my expectations.  Sure, there were nice graphics, but the game play was simply too simplistic.  About the only decision I ever made involved "should I stop attacking now".  I out-leveled areas just trying to complete quests in that area.  The travel system allowed movement without engaging the world.  At no time did I feel any kind of immersion.  I doubt I'll be back, even for another free weekend.

Again, you don't need to spend $5,000 in a game. I've addressed that doing so wouldn't even put you remotely close to end game gear.

If you put forth little effort in BDO you'll see little in return. If the game's not for you, then it's not for you, but it doesn't take a lot of work to start make large returns with the right knowledge.

It was pretty clear even from a free weekend, that the game wasn't about killing monsters, collecting loot and leveling up.  Those are played with the mouse, keyboard and time.  How I used these elements in BDO did not match what I expected from an MMORPG.  The return on the effort of playing wasn't acceptable.

BDO's game play involves a cash shop as an integral part of success.  That didn't fly with me.  Paying $5000+ to compete in a game is far beyond my comfort zone.

Mikeha

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    edited February 2020

Mendel said:

TEKK3N said:

DMKano said:

Mikeha said:

BDO is not P2W guys... 

Again, you don't need to spend $5,000 in a game. I've addressed that doing so wouldn't even put you remotely close to end game gear.

If you put forth little effort in BDO you'll see little in return. If the game's not for you, then it's not for you, but it doesn't take a lot of work to start make large returns with the right knowledge.

What's the argument here?  Sounds to me like you both agree this game is p2w trash.
    Mendel
    edited February 2020

In BDO you get free pets, weight and inventory by just playing the game, by questing and participating in the periodic events.
    Same for the few P2W items in the shops which can be easily be obtained by afk fishing.

I played BDO for almost 2 years and never paid a single penny.
    I have plenty of pets, costumes and high end gear in my bank, together with a year worth of FREE subscription, all obtained by just playing the game.

So BDO isn’t P2W if you play the game.
    Yes, if you play only 1 hour per day, you have to open the wallet, that’s true.
    But that’s also true for every other MMORPG that you play casually and in which somewhat you want to be competitive.
    RemaliMikeha
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    They should use all that cash to redesign the UI..... What an ugly, convoluted, immersion breaking piece of crap that is.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    Kyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    DMKano said:

moshra said:

Mendel said:

TEKK3N said:

DMKano said:

Mikeha said:

BDO is not P2W guys... 

What's the argument here?  Sounds to me like you both agree this game is p2w trash.

I'm saying that it'd be stupid to spend $5,000 for such little returns. Can you do it? Yes, I've never denied that. but you're a fool to do so. Second, having such a high cost to do so is a deterrent. Literally every other game I can do the same in with significantly less money spent. Something neither of them are willing to admit.

It's almost as if Kano and Mendal are mad because they have to spend more to attempt to be better than others.

Pearl Abyss had intentionally designed the game to milk players.

The fact that you think that dropping $200 on game just to be able to play is not too much... lol

My man, PA got you big time dont you see that?

How much have you spent in total on BDO so far... be honest
    $200 to start?  You get a cool lunch box or action figure for that?  Maybe a bag?
    Anyway whatever you think about BDO monetisation, the reality is that the majority of players likes it, since the game has done really well... unlike Archeage.

Mikeha
    edited February 2020

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited February 2020
    "So I think even for subscriptions, if they really just like the content, if they believe in the value they are getting for the subscription, of course they are going to pay... The subscription model will survive, but probably in a little different way, because there is more and more competition between free-to-play games and not free-to-play, whether they are subscription-based or a one time purchase model."

Even the American CEO of BDO realises subscription/B2P is not going away, it will be supported by players. Can one of those guys like Gdemmani who think our support for using these revenue models is archaic and unrealistic post to tell us how we are so wrong. Thanks.