Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crytek and Cloud Imperium Games Come to Agreement in Lawsuit

2»

Comments

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Nobody knows nuttin', both sides claim victory.   

Guess that's part of the advantage of settlements.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

The lawyers are the only winners.
    Zanerkenklash2defBabuinixErillioncheyane

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    kitarad said:

Same as it ever was.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Vrika said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Worth remembering that the $500k bond was made after the court assessed the claims and how they might play out. And they - not me, not you - decided that the most likley option was that Crytek would pay CIG.
    Bond doesn't mean that court judges payment to be most likely option. It's more like an insurance so that defendant doesn't get financially damaged.
    Absolutely. Outcomes are not certain. However bonds are not normally required - CIG did object.

In reviewing each claim however the court - in the published transcript - provided a summary of each claim which underpinned their decision. And that was before the Amazon "reveal" that CIG did have a license to use the software they paid Crytek for. (And not just Lumberyard.) 

Key point however is that the statement that Crytek will not have settled because they cannot pay is - demonstrably - false. Crytek have already put the money up.
    rodarin said:
    that 500 million the were supopsed to get from Turkey or in some stories THEY were investing into Turkey never seemed to transpire. It was one of those things that sort of got lost. It was announced over 3 years ago and there hasnt been a single update or story abot it since. Probaby fake news,but at the time of that comment it was pretty much a done deal and everyone took it s fact
    There were stories that - as you say - don't seem to have come to pass; although Crytek were not specifically mentioned it was the 3 brothers who run it. And that they would be developing Turkish industry etc. on behalf of the Turkish government.

That may or may not have come to pass. A government would not simply hand over $500M to a private company so they cold e.g. buy CIG though.
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited February 2020
    kitarad said:

Same as it ever was.....
    Easy one but, Called it 2 years ago B)
    Rhoklaw said:
    Babuinix said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    After all this time of witchunting and people saying CIG is doomed, we can finally say its over and they won! I know this won't be the end and people will grasp at more straws to say CIG is scamming and pulled a fast one. We get it, people aren't supporting the game you want made and you are mad at SC.
    You have no idea how corruption works, which is probably why you keep supporting it.
    Please do tell us. :)
    Tell you what? I've explained it a dozen times before, not that it matters. I'm not the only one either, but if you believe 100% of the funds donated to CIG are going into this hot mess, you're about 50% accurate, on a good day.
    Could you elaborate?
    Post edited by Babuinix on
  • MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

JoeBlober said:

Wizardry said:

I seriously do NOT want to hear some drummed up speech that both sides lawyers made up to give to the public.

I can see what clearly happened,Chris Robert's Lawyer/s helped Chris Dupe Crytek,take advantage of Crytek anyway you want to word it,Chris knows it,Crytek knows it,we should all know it.

The problem is the law doesn't care about ethics,right or wrong,it comes down to legal terms,contracts signed and most importantly >>>$$$$.

This mention that Crytek wanted out of the lawsuit would be because of $$$ cost to go through a long term lawsuit.Chris has no problem using gamer's money to pay for it all,after all he has already been scamming gamer's of their money for quite some time.

With the amount of money his team have garnered from naive gamer's should be WAY MORE than enough to get the job done,there should not be anymore money grabs until the game is done.

So not only did Chris and his lawyer partner have no problem duping Crytek,he does the same to gamer's that entrust him with their money.

What comes out in the press now will simply make me laugh,no more than a presidential prepared speech full of bull.Ok guys we will settle on a small sum of money IF you guys make us sound like great people in the press sort of ordeal incoming.

... except Court rejected 90% of cCrytek claims and what was remaining was at bets laughable and would have foreced Crytek to recognize the all case had no merits.

You should ask for a job at Crytek... they hire guys pretending to know how to win a case. Crytek had nothing, period, stop acting like a low level hater pretending CIG did anything wrong with Crytek agreement.

They had no case, yet won and got their money? Doubt.gif

They wanted to drop their case and refile after the game launched for  a bigger payday and suddenly Roberts can't settle fast enough.

You sound like a typical clueless fanboi.

who said Crytek won? The settlement doesn't stipulate who is paying who. If the judge had decided on the dismissal there is a good chance that Crytek would have to pay ALL of CIG's legal fees whereas if they settled with CIG maybe they get away with only paying the bond. It would be worth it for both parties if CIG can get a guarantee that Crytek won't try and file a new lawsuit in the future. Well have to wait to see if any of the terms of the settlement are released.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

MaxBacon said:

So much hype and drama over years for nothing.

Dude you're almost there, don't give up now!!

:D
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Rhoklaw said:
    Babuinix said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    After all this time of witchunting and people saying CIG is doomed, we can finally say its over and they won! I know this won't be the end and people will grasp at more straws to say CIG is scamming and pulled a fast one. We get it, people aren't supporting the game you want made and you are mad at SC.
    You have no idea how corruption works, which is probably why you keep supporting it.
    Please do tell us. :)
    Tell you what? I've explained it a dozen times before, not that it matters. I'm not the only one either, but if you believe 100% of the funds donated to CIG are going into this hot mess, you're about 50% accurate, on a good day.
    there isnt anyway they have put 150 million into what they are offering.

Therebest offerings are what we said years ago...movies. Roberts and hiw wife (even before he admitted she was his wife) have always been wannabe actors and cling ons and getting the feelings like they matter. What they should have done is videotaped the interactions they both had witht heir 'celebrity' voice people. I suspect that was as sickening and over the top as anything we have seen from them.

But they built their little movie studio and they have produced some pretty good movies. Also made some pretty good stuff that fooled a lot of people into thinking it was actual game play footage.

But in terms of actually developing a video game from the ground up and showing any ability whatsoever to actually release it not one iota.  Which was the original point to all of the criticism. Thing is so much other crap has been introduced that people can complain about that initial and most relevant one still gets lost.

Until Roberts actually releases something while he is still in charge he is a failure at all of this. He has decent vision and can dream up shit as good as anyone but he has never been able to actually deliver on any ofthose dreams without someone else taking over. THAT is what this project has reinforced over and over again.
    BabuinixErillion
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Minsc said:

JoeBlober said:

Wizardry said:

I seriously do NOT want to hear some drummed up speech that both sides lawyers made up to give to the public.

I can see what clearly happened,Chris Robert's Lawyer/s helped Chris Dupe Crytek,take advantage of Crytek anyway you want to word it,Chris knows it,Crytek knows it,we should all know it.

The problem is the law doesn't care about ethics,right or wrong,it comes down to legal terms,contracts signed and most importantly >>>$$$$.

This mention that Crytek wanted out of the lawsuit would be because of $$$ cost to go through a long term lawsuit.Chris has no problem using gamer's money to pay for it all,after all he has already been scamming gamer's of their money for quite some time.

With the amount of money his team have garnered from naive gamer's should be WAY MORE than enough to get the job done,there should not be anymore money grabs until the game is done.

So not only did Chris and his lawyer partner have no problem duping Crytek,he does the same to gamer's that entrust him with their money.

What comes out in the press now will simply make me laugh,no more than a presidential prepared speech full of bull.Ok guys we will settle on a small sum of money IF you guys make us sound like great people in the press sort of ordeal incoming.

... except Court rejected 90% of cCrytek claims and what was remaining was at bets laughable and would have foreced Crytek to recognize the all case had no merits.

You should ask for a job at Crytek... they hire guys pretending to know how to win a case. Crytek had nothing, period, stop acting like a low level hater pretending CIG did anything wrong with Crytek agreement.

They wanted to drop their case and refile after the game launched for  a bigger payday and suddenly Roberts can't settle fast enough.

who said Crytek won? The settlement doesn't stipulate who is paying who. If the judge had decided on the dismissal there is a good chance that Crytek would have to pay ALL of CIG's legal fees whereas if they settled with CIG maybe they get away with only paying the bond. It would be worth it for both parties if CIG can get a guarantee that Crytek won't try and file a new lawsuit in the future. Well have to wait to see if any of the terms of the settlement are released.

Common sense and a basic understanding of the legal system says Crytek didn't settle for their absolute worst case doomsday scenario.

Even in a bad scenario, like losing at trial, they would get most of their bond back after court costs; CIG would almost certainly get nothing as judges rarely award legal fees except in extreme circumstances. If CIG tried to sue for legal costs, Crytek, as a foreign company being sued in a US court, couldn't be forced to pay them even if they lost.

Then you consider that Crytek's stated intention was to put the case on hold until after S42 launched, and it doesn't make sense for them to suddenly abandon it entirely when nothing has changed.

It seems pretty obvious that CIG caved and paid them to go away and clear the path forward without the problems the case has brought. Like Crytek demanding access to all of their finances and then having them made public. I certainly wouldn't want to have to account for all of the quarter million that CIG has squandered in the world's biggest development boondoggle.
    cheyane
    Minsc said:

JoeBlober said:

Wizardry said:

Common sense and a basic understanding of the legal system says Crytek didn't settle for their absolute worst case doomsday scenario.

Even in a bad scenario, like losing at trial, they would get most of their bond back after court costs; CIG would almost certainly get nothing as judges rarely award legal fees except in extreme circumstances. If CIG tried to sue for legal costs, Crytek, as a foreign company being sued in a US court, couldn't be forced to pay them even if they lost.

Then you consider that Crytek's stated intention was to put the case on hold until after S42 launched, and it doesn't make sense for them to suddenly abandon it entirely when nothing has changed.

It seems pretty obvious that CIG caved and paid them to go away and clear the path forward without the problems the case has brought. Like Crytek demanding access to all of their finances and then having them made public. I certainly wouldn't want to have to account for all of the quarter million that CIG has squandered in the world's biggest development boondoggle.

Finances are public already so that "theory" doesn't make any sense.  :D
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Babuinix said:
    Minsc said:

JoeBlober said:

Wizardry said:

Finances are public already so that "theory" doesn't make any sense.  :D
    I covered that, there are no third party auditing on the claims they mae. But as I said in that post it was probably good enough for Crytek and they settled.

I wouldnt be shocked if it was a contingent settlement. If it is that will be very telling. Hopefully since it is allegedly a crowd funded project the details of the setteent will be made public and people can see for themselves. But right now it doesnt look like anything has been signed.

There could be a story in a weke saying settlement is off and theyre back on court.

Just more drama and there isnt already enogh of that withthis fiasco already
    Babuinix
    edited February 2020
    Problem is you don't "cover" anything lol
    You can't apply logic because you're so blindly focused on hating everything Star Citizen that you make resort to the most hilarious and dumb theories possible neglecting any logic but your own.

One would think a billionaire that evaluated the studio in almost half-billion dollars buying 10% of it would do so knowing how healthy the financial state of the company is.

You, like most haters, year after year have been making all these ignorant and wild claims that age like milk. As shown exemplarily just a posts before by yours truly.

Star Citizen will continue getting better and better, with more players and more funding! Rinse & Repeat. 

But don't let that stop ya, just keep on digging! B)

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    rodarin said:

I wouldnt be shocked if it was a contingent settlement. If it is that will be very telling. Hopefully since it is allegedly a crowd funded project the details of the setteent will be made public and people can see for themselves. But right now it doesnt look like anything has been signed.
    Usually settlements like this aren't made public. One big appeal of settlements is that as long as they agree to keeps the contents secret, neither party has to lose publicly.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    So seems Crytek lawyers did make a case, whom praytell might file next ?
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    Can we stop using the pic of Roberts where he looks so punchable? It's very distracting.
    edited February 2020
    Elsabolts said:
    So seems Crytek lawyers did make a case, whom praytell might file next ?

Nothing to support what you say. Read what has been filed and post the bit that supports your claim if you feel otherwise. (Crytek and their original high powered lawyes parted ways as well.)

That aside:  

Crytek - or Crytek's lawyers if you wish - made "lots" of claims. Crytek's win rate so far: zero; nothing; not a single court ruling for Crytek. As I say feel free to post anything that is currently a "win" for Crytek.

Now many of the claims might be considered "trivial". One of the ones which wasn't however was the following - which we learnt recently:  

- CryEngine contains(ed) feature X;
    - SC were (are) using feature X;
    - Lumberyard does not contain feature X (something Crytek knew or worked out). 

And on that basis Crytek claimed that SC were illegally using CryEngine software.

To be clear what was generally assumed was that Amazon had simply bought CryEngine (version x) and added it to Lumberyard. We did not know that they had left out some features - presumably using some other stuff instead.

Crytek's case fell apart - however - when they finally got around to asking Amazon what they had licensed to CIG. And Amazon said they had licensed the whole engine to CIG not just what was in Lumberyard. 

Shortly after this came out Crytek moved to dismiss their own case. (There were also reports that Crytek had said they were stuffed if Amazon came back with this reply.)

Oh and if anyone believes Crytek reasons for wanting to dismiss the case must think that Crytek are totally stupid. Crytek moved to go to trial in October/November 2019 last year. The original trial date they agreed to was January 2020. And yet SQ42 was never in a month of Sundays going to launch by Jan '20. Oh but we were so stupid we thought it was .... yeah. Just an excuse I suggest to try and avoid costs - they are not that stupid.

But as I said feel free to post an excerpt from the many pages of court documents backing up your claim. I won't be holding my breath however.

Erillion
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    gervaise1 said:

Crytek - or Crytek's lawyers if you wish - made "lots" of claims. Crytek's win rate so far: zero; nothing; not a single court ruling for Crytek. As I say feel free to post anything that is currently a "win" for Crytek.

I don't know why people try to make an issue of this.

Welcome to the American justice system and shotgun litigation. When you sue you name every party even loosely bearing responsibility and lay every charge that could ever conceivably be related to your case.

I was named in a lawsuit as a passenger in a vehicle because I said in the police report I was talking to the driver at the time of the wreck, which the plaintiff claimed contributed to distracting them and was contributory negligence. The judge let me out of the case, but not until I'd spent $1.5k on lawyers that I'll never get back.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited February 2020
    >>>> shotgun litigation >>>

Crytek achievement: to miss with a full shotgun load from close distance.

Have fun
    Babuinix