Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crytek and Cloud Imperium Games Come to Agreement in Lawsuit

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageCrytek and Cloud Imperium Games Come to Agreement in Lawsuit

Remember that lawsuit between Star Citizen’s Cloud Imperium Games and Crytek? Well it appears to have been settled.

Read the full story here

Comments

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    first
    KyleranBabuinix
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I seriously do NOT want to hear some drummed up speech that both sides lawyers made up to give to the public.

I can see what clearly happened,Chris Robert's Lawyer/s helped Chris Dupe Crytek,take advantage of Crytek anyway you want to word it,Chris knows it,Crytek knows it,we should all know it.
    The problem is the law doesn't care about ethics,right or wrong,it comes down to legal terms,contracts signed and most importantly >>>$$$$.

This mention that Crytek wanted out of the lawsuit would be because of $$$ cost to go through a long term lawsuit.Chris has no problem using gamer's money to pay for it all,after all he has already been scamming gamer's of their money for quite some time.

With the amount of money his team have garnered from naive gamer's should be WAY MORE than enough to get the job done,there should not be anymore money grabs until the game is done.
    So not only did Chris and his lawyer partner have no problem duping Crytek,he does the same to gamer's that entrust him with their money.

What comes out in the press now will simply make me laugh,no more than a presidential prepared speech full of bull.Ok guys we will settle on a small sum of money IF you guys make us sound like great people in the press sort of ordeal incoming.
    Thomas2006BabuinixPuReDusTErillion

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited February 2020
    So much hype and drama over years for nothing.

The case ended up on a straw after the disclosed Amazon license bit that Crytek didn't remember to check what exactly was licensed into year and half into the case, that was when their initial lawyer team dropped the case, rendered mute all their claims about the codebase.

All fell into Crytek wanting dismissal without prejudice, CIG countered and brought up the 500k bond that the court did hold,  and ends with settlement bypassing the judge decision gamble.
    ErillionBabuinix
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    mmorpg.com dont have any other image of SC? ...come on there is thousands
    Erillion
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited February 2020
    Every time I see that thumbnail I think of

BabuinixSamhaelMcSleazinfomatz
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 302
    After all this time of witchunting and people saying CIG is doomed, we can finally say its over and they won! I know this won't be the end and people will grasp at more straws to say CIG is scamming and pulled a fast one. We get it, people aren't supporting the game you want made and you are mad at SC.
    BabuinixErillion[Deleted User]ZenJellyrpmcmurphygastovski1
  • JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 585

Wizardry said:

I seriously do NOT want to hear some drummed up speech that both sides lawyers made up to give to the public.

I can see what clearly happened,Chris Robert's Lawyer/s helped Chris Dupe Crytek,take advantage of Crytek anyway you want to word it,Chris knows it,Crytek knows it,we should all know it.

The problem is the law doesn't care about ethics,right or wrong,it comes down to legal terms,contracts signed and most importantly >>>$$$$.

This mention that Crytek wanted out of the lawsuit would be because of $$$ cost to go through a long term lawsuit.Chris has no problem using gamer's money to pay for it all,after all he has already been scamming gamer's of their money for quite some time.

With the amount of money his team have garnered from naive gamer's should be WAY MORE than enough to get the job done,there should not be anymore money grabs until the game is done.

So not only did Chris and his lawyer partner have no problem duping Crytek,he does the same to gamer's that entrust him with their money.

What comes out in the press now will simply make me laugh,no more than a presidential prepared speech full of bull.Ok guys we will settle on a small sum of money IF you guys make us sound like great people in the press sort of ordeal incoming.

... except Court rejected 90% of cCrytek claims and what was remaining was at bets laughable and would have foreced Crytek to recognize the all case had no merits.

You should ask for a job at Crytek... they hire guys pretending to know how to win a case. Crytek had nothing, period, stop acting like a low level hater pretending CIG did anything wrong with Crytek agreement.
    BabuinixErillionAsm0deusMcSleazazarhalZenJellyrpmcmurphyZalgotasgastovski1
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    edited February 2020
    JoeBlober said:

Wizardry said:

... except Court rejected 90% of cCrytek claims and what was remaining was at bets laughable and would have foreced Crytek to recognize the all case had no merits.

You should ask for a job at Crytek... they hire guys pretending to know how to win a case. Crytek had nothing, period, stop acting like a low level hater pretending CIG did anything wrong with Crytek agreement.

They had no case, yet won and got their money? Doubt.gif

They wanted to drop their case and refile after the game launched for  a bigger payday and suddenly Roberts can't settle fast enough.

You sound like a typical clueless fanboi.
    BabuinixErillionNorseGodPhaserlightMcSleazZenJellyrpmcmurphygastovski1
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Settled. Using sheep money. Duh.
    NorseGodMcSleazrpmcmurphyinfomatz

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

MaxBacon said:

So much hype and drama over years for nothing.

the same will likely be said about this whole project
    ZenJellyklash2def
  • hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    please!
    please change this picture, cant see it again!
    rpmcmurphy
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,259
    rodarin said:
    first
    Shouldn't that be "Guess I was wrong, again" instead? 

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7262477/#Comment_7262477

:D 
    Babuinix said:
    rodarin said:
    first

They fought it for how long? And it is all of a sudden settled by BOTH sides. Didnt Roberts say they would never settle? So I dont think it can be seen as a victory for CiG thats for sure. Only 'victory' they would have seen would have been a 100% dismissal of all claims.

I didnt think Crytek would settle but I suspect the money they got was enough so they were 'forced' to. (based on common sense)/

I also posted the link you provided 26 months ago. Crytek got the full disclosure of CiG financial (self audited as they were) a year ago. People have seen just how wasteful and ridiculous the use of money has been. Those financial showed (again self reported) that CiG after raising over 200 million had less than 10 million left. This last one showed they had less than 6 million I think.

So Crytek got what I said they were looking for. Would they have preferred it being a court ordered audit where a third party went over the books? Sure, but like I said the settlement figure was more than likely high enough where the laughable revelation that CiG reported themselves was 'good enough'.

They have gotten nearly 300 million for this abortion, that test bed tech demo everyone gets fee access to every few weeks is EVERYTHING they have. Is that a 300 million dollar project?>

If the money stopped coming (it wont) that is all anyone would ever get from these guys. If they get another 300 million what will THAT get you? How much more feature creep will be introduced between now and then?

Every month the calendar flips is another month this things is in 'development'. The rubber will meet the road once SQ 42 is a complete and total failure and misses its deadline by who knows how long (if it ever actually does get released). Then maybe the people who keep enabling this disaster will see it for what it really is.

Sad to see dreamers and wishers get destroyed by reality but hopefully 'regular' people wont be too hurt and the only ones who see the REAL losses are the whales who can afford to piss money away on this sort of shit.

I wont be surprised to see a few big ship sales come online here fairly soon the more they offer the bigger the pay day for Crytek.
    ErillionnewbismxCaffynatedMcSleazZenJellyklash2def[Deleted User]
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    edited February 2020
    Could you guys please get a different photo for these SC articles? One that doesn't make me want to punch my monitor? Thanks.
    Tilleranemorpmcmurphyfoxgirl
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2020
    "Pursuant to C.D. Cal. L.R. 40-2, Plaintiff CRYTEK GMBH and Defendants CLOUD IMPERIUM GAMES CORP. and ROBERTS SPACE INDUSTRIES CORP., by and through their counsel of record, hereby notify the Court that they have reached an agreement in principle of terms to settle this action in its entirety and are working to document the terms of their agreement. Following execution of the agreement, the parties will promptly file a joint stipulation of dismissal. The parties respectfully request that the Court allow the parties thirty (30) days to document and execute their agreement and to file the joint stipulation of dismissal."

Settle in its entirety - so assuming both sides reach agreement Crytek won't be refiling. 

As far any financial "settlement" goes as they are looking at out of court that suggests it simply comes down to who pays the costs. 
    - worst case for Crytek: they cover all the costs;
    - best case Crytek cover their costs and get CIG to cover some of the other costs?
    - most likely might be that Crytek cover everything except CIG's costs. 

If only Crytek had read the 2017 mmorpg discussions which suggested they ask Amazon about their agreement with CIG. The agreement that CIG cited as grounds for dismisal. And which Amazon - when Crytek finally got around to asking Amazon after c. 18 months - confirmed. At that point of course Crytek had said they were stuffed if Amazon confirmed what CIG were saying, which Amazon duly did.

ErillionJoeBlober
    rodarin said:
    Babuinix said:
    rodarin said:
    first

-snip-
    TLDR :"I was wrong, again. But only because..."  :)
    Asm0deusErillion
    gervaise1 said:
    "Pursuant to C.D. Cal. L.R. 40-2, Plaintiff CRYTEK GMBH and Defendants CLOUD IMPERIUM GAMES CORP. and ROBERTS SPACE INDUSTRIES CORP., by and through their counsel of record, hereby notify the Court that they have reached an agreement in principle of terms to settle this action in its entirety and are working to document the terms of their agreement. Following execution of the agreement, the parties will promptly file a joint stipulation of dismissal. The parties respectfully request that the Court allow the parties thirty (30) days to document and execute their agreement and to file the joint stipulation of dismissal."

Settle in its entirety - so assuming both sides reach agreement Crytek won't be refiling. 

As far any financial "settlement" goes as they are looking at out of court that suggests it simply comes down to who pays the costs. 
    - best case Crytek cover their costs and get CIG to cover some of the other costs?

If only Crytek had read the 2017 mmorpg discussions which suggested they ask Amazon about their agreement with CIG. The agreement that CIG cited as grounds for dismisal. And which Amazon - when Crytek finally got around to asking Amazon after c. 18 months - confirmed. At that point of course Crytek had said they were stuffed if Amazon confirmed what CIG were saying, which Amazon duly did.

Unlikely, if that were the case then CIG would have counter sued which never happened.

No way crytek is paying nay court costs not even their own. They never would have settled if that were the case. For one they dont have the money to afford to do it.

Its always amazing how everything is spun to where CiG gets off scott free for everything. And anything and everything they do (regardless of whether 50 other games have done it in an actual released game or not) CiG has done it the best it could possibly be.

Like I said (and this is slightly off topic) once people see Cyber Punk and what it offers and then start comparing it to SQ 42 (yeah different genres but same goal) it will REALLY show how Micky mouse this project is for the 300 million they have spent, and by then it could be closer to 320 million. (its been delayed to Sept so that gives them 7 more months of sales and spending.)
    ErillionBabuinixZenJelly
    edited February 2020
    rodarin said:
    Unlikely, if that were the case then CIG would have counter sued which never happened.

No way crytek is paying nay court costs not even their own. They never would have settled if that were the case. For one they dont have the money to afford to do it.
    But didn't Crytek got 500 millions and could buy and sell CIG if they wanted to...???

Oh and after NMS, COD Infinity Warfare, Andromeda it's now Cyberpunk
    that will REALLY show them lol... Yeah right.

Just keep on digging :)

Post edited by Babuinix on
    Erillion
  • DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573
    Look at all his special wrinkles.
  • crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    You know the blind/oblivious white knights are just as bad as all the doom and gloomers......

It's like Democrats vs. Republicans in every one of these threads. You're both lunatics.
    BabuinixErillionMcSleazklash2defrpmcmurphyinfomatz
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2020
    rodarin said:
    gervaise1 said:

<snip>

.<snip>

The first paragraph I posted - the court filing - is all we know about the most recent news. Nothing more. You have assumed stuff but that is all we know. Nothing to suggest that CIG are paying Crytek.

As to "no way Crytek are paying" because they have no money. Well you obviously agree with CIG! Since that is what they said. However leaving aside the reported $60-$80M Crytek got from Amazon Crytek put up a $500k bond to continue. So the money for any court settlement - and an agreed settlement will have to be agreed by the court - is already there.

Worth remembering that the $500k bond was made after the court assessed the claims and how they might play out. And they - not me, not you - decided that the most likley option was that Crytek would pay CIG.

As far as CIG suing Crytek I suggested that possibility - based on what Crytek were saying in the New Year - the option to counter-sue for defamation. Which I didn't (and don't) think they will do since, imo, they will want to put this behind them. The threat would strengthen CIG's hand though so well spotted!

Rhoklaw said:
    After all this time of witchunting and people saying CIG is doomed, we can finally say its over and they won! I know this won't be the end and people will grasp at more straws to say CIG is scamming and pulled a fast one. We get it, people aren't supporting the game you want made and you are mad at SC.
    You have no idea how corruption works, which is probably why you keep supporting it.
    Please do tell us. :)
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    gervaise1 said:
    Worth remembering that the $500k bond was made after the court assessed the claims and how they might play out. And they - not me, not you - decided that the most likley option was that Crytek would pay CIG.
    Bond doesn't mean that court judges payment to be most likely option. It's more like an insurance so that defendant doesn't get financially damaged.

that 500 million the were supopsed to get from Turkey or in some stories THEY were investing into Turkey never seemed to transpire. It was one of those things that sort of got lost. It was announced over 3 years ago and there hasnt been a single update or story abot it since. Probaby fake news,but at the time of that comment it was pretty much a done deal and everyone took it s fact
    ErillionBabuinix
    edited February 2020
    rodarin said:
    everyone took it s fact
    Nah, you picked it up out of context and used it because it fitted your narrative, now that it doesn't fit you're trying to ditch it and play "reasonable" lol

Just own it and move on :)