Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the heck has happened to this site?

CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
It's called "MMORPG" and Minecraft is the #1 game listed? 

Site seems to have strayed far from the original. 
RueTheWhirlMikehaAmatheTuor7WalkinGlennnewbismxbcbullyTemp0evilbammo

Comments

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198
    It's because mmorpgs are not so popular anymore and they have to pay their staff, so they write about other games to try and make money.

They do write about minor patches for the games they do follow. I would guess the reason they don't follow patches and news on minor mmorpgs is that they don't have any staff playing those games, and it would be too costly to pay someone to play 50 hours of a game to be able to write something usefull, and then have very few people read it.

When I'm looking for mmorpg news this is still the site I go to. I don't know about any other sites that follow mmorpgs.(I don't read too many game sites either).

Mmorpgs will probably make it back someday. Right now other games are more popular. 
    perrin82natpickNyghthowlerCosmoguard
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Aren't the games voted up by the members of the site? 

Also, the definition the definition of mmo/mmorpg whatever, seems to be morphing and online games that connect large amounts of people no matter how many can play together at once, seem to be included in the definition.

Much to the wailing and gnashing of teeth of some.
    botrytismaskedweaselKyleranGroqstrongbcbullyperrin82natpickNyghthowlerAlBQuirkyLackingMMO
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Honestly I've played many minecraft servers with more players on them than most MMORPg's. 
    DibdabsmaskedweaselNildenThuplinatpickAlBQuirky
  • JensynJensyn Member UncommonPosts: 158
    paul43 said:
    It's because mmorpgs are not so popular anymore and they have to pay their staff, so they write about other games to try and make money.

They do write about minor patches for the games they do follow. I would guess the reason they don't follow patches and news on minor mmorpgs is that they don't have any staff playing those games, and it would be too costly to pay someone to play 50 hours of a game to be able to write something usefull, and then have very few people read it.

When I'm looking for mmorpg news this is still the site I go to. I don't know about any other sites that follow mmorpgs.(I don't read too many game sites either).

Mmorpgs will probably make it back someday. Right now other games are more popular. 

Most of us don't get paid-we volunteer to write. I was actually just about to comment this on another thread, but I'm pretty deep into Runescape (3) right now! I haven't jumped into doing a column about it yet because I figured it would just be laughed off.
    gervaise1
    Bookmarks are for quitters. 
  • MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758
    Sovrath said:
    Aren't the games voted up by the members of the site? 

Also, the definition the definition of mmo/mmorpg whatever, seems to be morphing and online games that connect large amounts of people no matter how many can play together at once, seem to be included in the definition.

Much to the wailing and gnashing of teeth of some.
    Yes, the lists on the homepage are generated from the user powered ratings on each game page.  On the old site we required 20 votes for a game to receive a score.  On the new site it was lowered to 10.

I've set it back to 20 now to weed out some of the less rated games like Minecraft which only has 13 votes.
    maskedweaselJensynBillMurphyMaridAlBQuirky

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Surprised it took this long into the year for this annual topic to come up.

WalkinGlennbcbully
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Jensyn said:
    paul43 said:

Most of us don't get paid-we volunteer to write. I was actually just about to comment this on another thread, but I'm pretty deep into Runescape (3) right now! I haven't jumped into doing a column about it yet because I figured it would just be laughed off.
    I think you should be writing about Runescape.

This is a site that covers mmorpg's. It doesn't always have to be about new games. It can be about visiting games that are still running and still have a following. Maybe even turning people on to those games.

maskedweaselKyleranbcbullyThupliMikehaTalraekkAlBQuirkyCosmoguard
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Same thing that happened to the MMORPG genre, it dwindled and shrunk and forced the site to repurpose itself. 
    AlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Sovrath said:

This is a site that covers mmorpg's. It doesn't always have to be about new games. It can be about visiting games that are still running and still have a following. Maybe even turning people on to those games.

This! I think anyone should write more about their mmos! I'd rather read about someones adventures in runescape because half of the games are mobile sometimes not even mmo thats being covered. 

Hawkaya399SovrathMikeha
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Sovrath said:

This! I think anyone should write more about their mmos! I'd rather read about someones adventures in runescape because half of the games are mobile sometimes not even mmo thats being covered. 

Why not both?  I don't understand why it is such a big deal that they have "news" about games from other genres as well as MMORPGs.   
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    It's all good leave them alone their doing a fine job !
    Kyleran
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I have no idea what intrigues people about Minecraft.....THe graphics are so bad it isn't even slightly amusing.
    Marid
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Honestly I've played many minecraft servers with more players on them than most MMORPg's. 
    Not that I care about this discussion these days, but what does population have to do with it?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    paul43 said:

Massively Overpowered is the other major site which focuses on MMOs / MMORPGS, but no real forums to speak of, more of a news site than anything else.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I have no idea what intrigues people about Minecraft.....THe graphics are so bad it isn't even slightly amusing.
    It's called gameplay and fun. I didn't really know about this game or played it until one day I was babysitting one of my nephews. He played it and asked about it so we fired it up together (With my niece who joined in). And we had a blast. I overlooked the simple graphics and focused on the game with them. It's a fun game plain and simple.
    Sovrath
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Not that I care about this discussion these days, but what does population have to do with it?
    Because Massively Multiplayer means population? lol
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited February 2020
    Sal1 said:
    Because Massively Multiplayer means population? lol
    But what does that have to do with the “overall” population of non mmos?

Just to be clear here, being an mmo doesn’t mean you have a lot of players. It’s the design principles behind it that make it an mmo. Having a lot of players that play your game does not make it an mmo.
    Tuor7
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2020
    Are people actually trying to justify Minecraft as being a quality game....sigh.

My opinion is that a game should have a bare minimum of 200 votes to receive a score 10-20 is imo a joke.Then again idc because what the heck does a score mean to me,i make my own scores,i have my own criteria for good and bad games,i don't need any score to tell me about game design.
    Furthermore,i don't buy games based on a "score"meaning someone else's opinion.
    I have seen what the industry has turned into,tons of people all vying to make money off of the gaming industry.
    There is only one person who should make money,the developer's/publishers.The rest should be making money from other means,advertising whatever.As soon as we get people involved with profits from the game,then we get biased reviews,bad reviews.

As to the MMO argument,i have said it several times, a LOGIN SCREEN does NOT make a mmo.The actual game design is what determines a MMO.Then again why do i care what someone calls a game,everything is marketing gimmicks now a days,i still choose my games by myself.

Login screens have been used more to facilitate cash shops than leading gamer's into an actual mmo design.
    Asm0deusCosmoguard

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Take a look at the new site layout and consider some of the recent articles. They appear to be shifting (in a big way) to mobile games, just like they shifted from MMORPGs to any and all games. That's where the money will be. 
    I had a post deleted from the most recent editorial posted ("MMORPGs are Thriving, and Other Problems) because I mentioned where I think their money will be coming from in the (near?) future. 
    Take a guess where that might be. 

(I expect this one might be deleted too.) 
    maskedweasel

Once upon a time....

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Take a look at the new site layout and consider some of the recent articles. They appear to be shifting (in a big way) to mobile games, just like they shifted from MMORPGs to any and all games. That's where the money will be. 
    I had a post deleted from the most recent editorial posted ("MMORPGs are Thriving, and Other Problems) because I mentioned where I think their money will be coming from in the (near?) future. 

Eh, your post is still there. And I think you missed the point of that other article if you think it was shifting anything *for* mobile games. 

Eh, your post is still there. And I think you missed the point of that other article if you think it was shifting anything *for* mobile games. 
    That article is probably the worst disguised promo ever seen. 
    maskedweasel

Once upon a time....

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Promo for what?! Lolol my goodness, I don't even know where to begin... 

Promo for what?! Lolol my goodness, I don't even know where to begin... 
    Yes, I can see that you aren't following. 
    No matter. Nothing going to change anything anyways. We're all just spectators. 

Once upon a time....

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    DMKano said:
    Minecraft has 480 million players - no wonder its #1
    Chess has 1 Billion players, I dont know why its not on this list
    Tuor7

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    If you want more MMORPG articles, check out https://massivelyop.com/.  It has more coverage of true MMOs with fewer fluff pieces.  mmorpg.com is a better place for fans to discuss the genre, in my opinion.
    maskedweaselk61977GorweAlBQuirky