Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I started playing my favorite childhood game again, Phantasy Star 2

vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
With all this talk of PSO2 coming West, I was struck with nostaglia so I figured I wanted to try to play my most beloved childhood game again. This game consumed me and my friends for a solid year in 1990. It was the first JRPG I ever played and has led to my obsession with JRPGs for the rest of my life. 

I wanted to get the game on Switch but you had to purchase the Genesis game bundle for $30 (which seemed crazy expensive) so I got the game for $1 on Steam. I figured I would play for an hour and be tortured by the random battle and endless grinding needed. After an hour I was hooked and decided to splurge for the Genesis bundle so I can play Phantasy Star 2,3 and 4, plus I was a huge Genesis nerd so it is fun to replay some of these classics (Altered Beast did not age well, Sonic on the other hand is still super fun to play)

So as for PS2, the story is super simple and the writting isn't great but the constant need to keep improving your characters just keeps driving me to play. I really enjoy the grinding (Thanks to the Switch FF funtion makes the battles super fast and less painful). Good lord the dungeons are difficult to navigate. I get lost so easily, there are no maps of any kind, no way to even tell what floor you are on. It is a total maze. I died a ton in the first dungeon but once I grinded enough to get through the first dungeon I haven't had too much of a problem because I spend so much time being lost in the dungeons that I am grinding without even knowing it. The oringinal game came with a 110 page hint book so I don't feel too bad when I have to look up the way to go (which I have had to do in all but one dungeon).

I am really enjoying myself and the $30 is money well spent. I have come to realize that I most enjoy the Switch playing retro games. I recently played though FF7 again and had a blast but for some reason can't bring myself to keep playing Zelda Breathe of the wild, the game bores me to tears (I know it is a me problem)...
GhavriggMikehakitaradAlBQuirkymaskedweaselAmathenewbismx

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I think the difference for me is i am much older,time is running out,i cannot fathom playing mindless games.I need a game design that reels me in long term and not for 1-2 superficial reasons,i want an overall well designed game.
    PSO2 is not in the upper echelon of game designs,it is instead lumped in with the MANY games that all look and feel the same.

FF7 was a sloppy mess but the newer incoming version looks like it might be worth playing.I have never cared for the Zelda games,the recent game was imo way over rated although i did at least see some positives but no way a 9 or 9.5 like so many BS sites gave it,more like a 6/10.

Ever since i quit FFXI i have tried hard to find a new rpg that could hold my interest but everything has been complete duds,more marketing hype than actual quality.

Currently d/ling Kingdom Come,i hope there is at least something there to hold my interest,i know th e combat is garbage though so who knows if i last more than 15 minutes.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Wizardry said:
    I think the difference for me is i am much older,time is running out,i cannot fathom playing mindless games.I need a game design that reels me in long term and not for 1-2 superficial reasons,i want an overall well designed game.
    PSO2 is not in the upper echelon of game designs,it is instead lumped in with the MANY games that all look and feel the same.

FF7 was a sloppy mess but the newer incoming version looks like it might be worth playing.I have never cared for the Zelda games,the recent game was imo way over rated although i did at least see some positives but no way a 9 or 9.5 like so many BS sites gave it,more like a 6/10.

Ever since i quit FFXI i have tried hard to find a new rpg that could hold my interest but everything has been complete duds,more marketing hype than actual quality.

Currently d/ling Kingdom Come,i hope there is at least something there to hold my interest,i know th e combat is garbage though so who knows if i last more than 15 minutes.
    You stopped playing FFXI ? OMG stop the presses!
    AlBQuirky

• kliomanskliomans Newbie CommonPosts: 6
    I installed a Meat Boy, bought a joystick, and now I enjoy it :)

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    You can actually play all 3 games on mobile for "free".  It is ad supported.
    Dakeru

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Phantasy Star 2 still consumes me.  I'll return time from time.

I actually don't mind mazes but I guess that is just the explorer's heart in me.

I try to wake myself up through the grind to enjoy it though.

Truly ahead of its time.  

Our hearts were broken through Teim & Nei savagely killed long before there was an Aerith to speak of.

Profound Darkness, planetary seals, multi generations on Phantasy Star 3 (I liked 3 at least)

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• nazimanazima Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    edited February 2020

Oooh, man, my brothers and I played Epsiode 1 and 2 on gamecube way back in the early 2000s, and we just recently realized there are still active, fanmade servers for it. We live super far apart now, and PSO has become how we hang out very week since then, and we're kinda obsessed again, and probably more so than as kids (those red boxes are like shots of dopamine). I'd be thrilled to see a new one.

Lucky Patcher Kodi nox

Post edited by nazima on