Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Savvis & Alternet Latency Issues

RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Our Networking team has been working with Savvis and Alternet in the hopes to resolve this issue. We received an e-mail back from these providers today stating that the latency seen on their routes is within their Service Level Agreement (SLA) limits. As such, they are unwilling to continue investigating this issue. Since this issue is occurring outside of NCsoft’s peering agreements with them, there is unfortunately little more that we can do. If you have any further questions about this issue, I suggest contacting your ISP and either one of these providers. I regret that this was the outcome and I hope that you’ll understand we have done everything within our power to resolve this issue.

-- Squeeze

Current Lag Issues thread on the official L2 forum.

Anyone here playing L2 affected by lag, or rather ploss [packet loss] caused by being routed through NCsoft's providers Saavis and Alternet?

I was potentially interested in L2, and always read the official forums, FAQ, etc, to get the skinny on titles before I shell out $$$. As a European player, I was drawn towards the Euro Server Teon, because playing on a US server during my EQ days, hurt my sleeping patterns. I thought that the lag was confined to just Teon, but upon reading the thread (see above), I discovered that the issue affects all the servers and is much, much bigger. Apparently, even CoH players are complaining.

Just how serious is this issue? This looks like a game-stopper for me. My new Pc components should be ordered next week and built hopefully next weekend, or the week after. I'm looking to play a title by Friday 26th May and it looks like I will have to scratch L2 from my list.

Regards,
Riotgirl

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

Comments

• EsorllehEsorlleh Member Posts: 129

NCsoft's always been pretty reliable with server stability from my experience. I wouldn't consider it a 'gamestopper' really..

As for me I have no problems with lag or server connection atm.
    Come join us ^^

MMO Fav List:
    Lineage 2 | 5x Silver Ranger, 7x Shillien Elder <- Active
    WoW | 6x Rogue, 1x Priest
    Anarchy Online | 8x MetaPhysicist
    Saga of Ryzom | Matis Light Armourer

Waiting for: Age of Conan, Lineage 3

• Username!Username! Member Posts: 165
    I don't think it is affecting too much considering I am playing fine. Occanically some lag spikes but this has always happened because of my comp.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

I've been playing since Sept and its not a very big issue. I maybe got disconnected 3 or 4 times. The lag spikes happen at peak times but its no worse then in WoW.

It depends on your setup I would think. Like in any other game people with higher RAM and GX cards, DSL or better tend to not suffer as much.

I have 1.5G RAM and a Nvidea 6800 (256mb) card and L2 runs like silk for me with the exception of the large towns with all the shops. It takes a few seconds for them all to pop up. Some of my guildmates complain about the lag at times.

Server side lag spikes hit me once in awhile though but its very minimal.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    I'm also an European player (the netherlands). I play on the sieghardt server, and there is no lag at all. didn't experience a single lag spike.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    It really isn't an issue. some days there is "bad lag" but overall not a huge deal.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Damn Torak,

I'm playing on a laptop piece of crap with 1700 mhz for CPU whatever, 640 ram, and radeon 9000. The game does run smoothly though. But every 5-10 minutes, i have 2 minute lag spikes.

I think it could be that my comp is infested with more viruses than a sex worker in a third world country. Any tips on nailing the viruses, they all seem to pop up and never go away.

So far, I got a lvl 10 human fighter and the game is okay so far, I understand the fun really starts once you get into a clan and get into the politics, but right now, i'm enjoying the graphics and welcoming the fact that I'm actually leveling up for a purpose, not like WoW, where in the end, you really don't level up for anything. I think Lineage 2 still should allow players to control the world more, but then again, I don't know shyte.

Cryomatrix

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Thanks for the feedback, people ::::20::

I was extremely concerned reading the thread on the official L2 forum, and wanted a straw-poll to provide an indication of MMORPG user experiences of any lag spikes.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180

Use an Anti-Virus thing like Norton .

Anyway, the game really starts to pick up when getting into a clan.

The great thing about Chronicle 5 is that they are adding a thing called an Academy in part of a guild that I believe is for level 20 and under? or maybe 40 and under? I don't know but many guilds probably will start wanting lower levels considering of this addition plus they get some experience with it so leveling may be easier.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing