Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you feel about MMO credentials for the people who write for this site?

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Welcome to aging OP. You know you're getting old when people writing about something that you lived only read about it in a history book or worse, the internet.
    UngoodAlBQuirky[Deleted User]Sovrathalkarionlogseeyouspacec0wboy
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    edited February 2020
    This whole thread is ridiculous and the issue isn't the staff, its the spoiled self entitled brats on this site that still act like brats 20 years later who in a narcissistic way assume and have always assumed that the masses, old and new, should follow their way of thinking of what makes a good MMO based on some nostalgic game from 20 years ago that had it's own issues, but yet they can't seem to let go of that game. 

It's also ludicrous to assume that you have to be just as old with as much experience as the person whining to write an interesting article. I find many of the more recent articles on this site quite interesting. I may not agree, but I still see that there is some effort in what is being put together. Personally, I was more bothered by writers like Bill who glorified games like Wild Star and it's 'artistic' graphics ignoring most of it's short comings or embellishing the game's strengths which ultimately proved incorrect (which I stated as soon as he started writing those articles). 

Regardless, the toxic vocal minority community which still lingers on this site is the problem, not the writers, it's always been this way, and I'm glad the site has attempted to evolve despite all the whiny and rude comments. People should be thanking the writers for their effort whether you agree or don't agree. I appreciate the articles and happy I have connected brain cells to absorb the information given and decide what makes sense for me. The articles are just a piece of the puzzle in researching what games I'm interested in and what games I'm not.
    maskedweaselWenchesnmeadNarugOGDeathRowSlapshot1188bcbully

There Is Always Hope!

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:
    The "MMORPG" credentials of the folks running this site?

A bit like walking into your local Chinese restaurant only to find out no one working there is actually Chinese.

;)

Chinese people rarely make good "Chinese food" in my experience. Authentic Chinese feed is pretty bleh, and I much prefer the Americanized version. Kind of like the difference between Mexican food and Tex-Mex. 99% of Americans who say they love "Mexican food" actually prefer Tex-Mex and would find authentic Mexican food gross or at least unappealing.

That's probably why the attempts by "industry veterans" to recreate old MMOs have met with such disaster. We've been exposed to beef fajita nachos covered in molten cheese with savory spices and can't go back to green goop on a corn tortilla.

The MMO industry needs fresh ideas more than the current trend of "old is new again."

Backwards is rarely the way forward.  This genre really needs some new ideas.  Really, how difficult would it be to make abstractions of politics to supplement the current combat and crafting activities?  Or incorporate social media ideas for the players to evaluate other players play styles by their actions, acting as a gestalt GM?  Give me new ways to play, improved UIs, more reactive worlds, and more choice of things to do in a game world, not rehashed ideas from a bygone era.

I'm convinced that people don't really want *another* first generation game, they want a *better* game.  Developers, however, are struggling to recreate that first generation.  The factors that made the first generation games great are very unlikely to be repeated.  Too much has changed.

WenchesnmeadNarug[Deleted User]

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Kyleran said:

A bit like walking into your local Chinese restaurant only to find out no one working there is actually Chinese.

;)

Chinese people rarely make good "Chinese food" in my experience. Authentic Chinese feed is pretty bleh, and I much prefer the Americanized version. Kind of like the difference between Mexican food and Tex-Mex. 99% of Americans who say they love "Mexican food" actually prefer Tex-Mex and would find authentic Mexican food gross or at least unappealing.

That's probably why the attempts by "industry veterans" to recreate old MMOs have met with such disaster. We've been exposed to beef fajita nachos covered in molten cheese with savory spices and can't go back to green goop on a corn tortilla.

The MMO industry needs fresh ideas more than the current trend of "old is new again."
    No disrespect but me thinks you've never had real authentic Chinese food. I have a saying here, "if a Chinese restaurant is full of white people... leave". Good Chinese food is where the Chinese go to eat and here in Vancouver you have a lot of options and a lot of the cuisine is amazing.

more to the topic ;)

At heart I've always been an optimist.

I've been a huge fan and really heavy invested into flight sims over the decades since the 1980's. Flight sims were in a real bad spot a decade ago. Microsoft disbanded Aces, flight simmers were depressed, there was nothing to look forward to. We all believed and commented on how the market for flight sims was too small and how the genre was pretty much dead.

Today I'm in an real Alpha under one of the biggest publishers and developers there is. I can say that the flight sim genre is far from dead. What is going to be released late this year or next is going to knock the socks off fans of the genre.

I believe the same type of thing will come to pass with MMORPG's

AmarantharAlBQuirkySovrath

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I feel like the reviews and articles have been better this year so far than last. But I agree it would be nice to have an old school player or two on staff.
    AlBQuirkyNarug

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689
    I started playing mmos during the Mud days so I can relate somewhat to the OP. However, as another above posted my life has changed a lot since back then. I played EQ1, but mostly stuck to Muds and Wow when it launched for quite a while. I use to have all day to sit after school and game. Now I have only about 2-4 hours a night and not all nights to play. So I have been enjoying more casual experiences like Elder Scrolls Online lately. I even tried to go back and play classic Wow and after a month I just couldn't do it. I prefer newer QoL features, and how it takes less time to get things done. I guess I am part of the "masses," as I just want to have fun and make progress each time I login. I won't ever forget those times, as yea they were a blast, but life changes. 
    AlBQuirky

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    Amathe said:
    I feel like the reviews and articles have been better this year so far than last. But I agree it would be nice to have an old school player or two on staff.
    I'd offer my services but I guarantee they can't afford me =P 
    UngoodKyleranAlBQuirkyAmathe
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    cheyane said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    Good thing this does not happen in Malaysia. We have pretty authentic Chinese, Indian, Malay cuisine and we are really lucky in this respect. If you have eaten authentic Chinese food you will love it. Being Indian in Malaysia I have had the wonderful pleasure of growing up eating Cantonese, Hokkien, Hakka, Teochew , Hainanese food in Malaysia because many of the Chinese originated from these areas of China. A lot of the food were also solely developed in Malaysia the so called local Chinese food found only in Malaysia and Singapore. 

If you have eaten 'authentic' Chinese food you will never settle for less. Anyone who says otherwise has no inkling of what authentic Chinese food is like.
    I was mostly making a joke, here in the States it is mostly an illusion.

While a majority of local Chinese restaurants are in fact staffed mostly by Asians, I couldn't tell you whether they were ethnic Chinese or not, much less what variant they might be.

Once had an extended conversation with our table chef at a local "Japanese" steak restaurant when one of woman in our group asked him if the Japanese symbol tattoo on her shoulder really meant what she was told it represented. 

He confessed no one in the restaurant was Japanese, rather everyone was Vietnamese, chefs, servers, etc with the exception of one Chinese manager.

She eventually stopped by, and if she wasn't just BSing us said the women's tattoo was actually a Chinese symbol and told her what it meant. (Nothing bad fortunately)

So yeah, all Italian restaurants aren't run and staffed by only Italians, but with foods such as Indian, Mexican, Greek and Asians their customers tend to expect most of the staff to "look the part."

Hrrm...probably something wrong with that when you think about it.

Anyways, back to gaming, I don't care if people started later, cutting their teeth on more recent games.

I just take issue when they "lose their way" and fail to distinguish properly on what an MMORPG is (or was) or even what is a proper MMO these days.

I mean, FO76, MMO right folks? ;)

Not a chance.

AlBQuirkyNarug

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Sovrath said:
    As far as the title/discussion, the idea that we can have video game credentials gives me the shivers. But "whatever."

I look at it like "Street Cred" same basic idea.
    AlBQuirkyNarugSovrath
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    cheyane said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    Good thing this does not happen in Malaysia. We have pretty authentic Chinese, Indian, Malay cuisine and we are really lucky in this respect. If you have eaten authentic Chinese food you will love it. Being Indian in Malaysia I have had the wonderful pleasure of growing up eating Cantonese, Hokkien, Hakka, Teochew , Hainanese food in Malaysia because many of the Chinese originated from these areas of China. A lot of the food were also solely developed in Malaysia the so called local Chinese food found only in Malaysia and Singapore. 

If you have eaten 'authentic' Chinese food you will never settle for less. Anyone who says otherwise has no inkling of what authentic Chinese food is like.
    I eat authentic Asian food five days a week. 

Its to die for :)
    IselinSovrath

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    For me, it all changed when they start calling any game that's online an MMO.
    AlBQuirkynewbismxNilden
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    For me, their "credits" or bona fides don't matter.  Reviews are and have always been (and will probably always be) useless to me.  Reviews seem to try and showcase the reviewers writing skill, hoity-toity tastes, and use of a thesaurus more than giving me useful information.

Until reviews are objective and focus on facts, explanation of systems, and relaying of actual useful information it really doesn't matter what their credits are, how many games they've played, or how long they've been playing.  

I also just assume most reviewers have absolute shit taste in games.  It would be helpful if reviewers had to list their top 5 favorite SP and MMO games at the top of a review so I could know right off the bat if this is someone that may have something to say worth paying attention to or not.
    maskedweaselAlBQuirkyHariken
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited February 2020
    Based on a documentary I watched:

"Chinese" food as we know it in the United States really began when Chinese immigrants started coming to America in large numbers to take jobs building railroads.  Often these immigrants were male, and they planned to send for their wife and children later. 

Once here, they worked hard all day, and at night they were tired (with no one else to cook for them). So Chinese restaurants began popping up where they could eat.  Non-Chinese didn't like this food, for the most part. So the restaurants started experimenting with their dishes, until the ones we all know today were developed. 

The "Fortune Cookie" is not a Chinese thing, for example. It was a gimmick to please American customers.

I'm not sure people of Chinese origin make this food any better than anyone else. It might actually be a contraindication, because they might prefer traditional Chinese food and not its American hybrids and fusion foods. 

Somehow this relates to mmorpgs, but about half way through this little story I forgot how. It's @Kyleran's fault. 
    CaffynatedAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Kyleran said:
     with the exception of one Chinese manager.

She eventually stopped by, and if she wasn't just BSing us said the women's tattoo was actually a Chinese symbol and told her what it meant. (Nothing bad fortunately)

So yeah, all Italian restaurants aren't run and staffed by only Italians, but with foods such as Indian, Mexican, Greek and Asians their customers tend to expect most of the staff to "look the part."

Hrrm...probably something wrong with that when you think about it.

Anyways, back to gaming, I don't care if people started later, cutting their teeth on more recent games.

I just take issue when they "lose their way" and fail to distinguish properly on what an MMORPG is (or was) or even what is a proper MMO these days.

I mean, FO76, MMO right folks? ;)

Not a chance.

Actually Japanese and Chinese share some of the same characters so it could have been both. The only way to be sure is to ask a person who is fluent in the langage as sometimes certain things have a meaning but it means slightly something different.

I live in the Boston area and we have decent Japanese and Chinese food places and I only go to places where Chinese or Japanese people go. If it's filled with anyone else it's probably not good (as the person above mentioned)

As far as games, since language IS fluid, I'm ok with mmo meaning something different. All I have ot do is look at the features to see if it's an "mmo" I might be interested in.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Iselin said:
    Welcome to aging OP. You know you're getting old when people writing about something that you lived only read about it in a history book or worse, the internet.

worse is when you are not even in the 40ths, and know the some writers really don't know what they are even saying
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    edited February 2020
    I come here because I like the idea of gaming just as much as I like gaming. I like to see what the future of gaming holds and the people take on that future. Sometimes it's as fun to discuss or argue hypotheticals as much as it is to play.

I know this is "MMORPG.com", but in reality it's a gaming site that tries to focus on MMORPGs. I like all sorts of games throughout all sorts of genres. I will spend three months lost in a VR title like Stormland then flip a complete 180 and play an old school type ARPG like Grim Dawn. This is where I come to read up on, and talk about, games.
    maskedweaselAlBQuirky
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    laserit said:
    cheyane said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

Yeah we're lucky that way in Vancouver. Lots of great authentic Asian food. Love Thai and Szechuan for the extra spice but Hon's noodle soup with BBQ pork and wonton and a side order of potstickers is my go-to comfort food.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    cheyane said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

Yeah we're lucky that way in Vancouver. Lots of great authentic Asian food. Love Thai and Szechuan for the extra spice but Hon's noodle soup with BBQ pork and wonton and a side order of potstickers is my go-to comfort food.
    To be honest, authenticity doesn't matter. Sure, I love authentic food from all over the world, but the only reason why authentic matters at all, is because it's a flavor that you may not have tried before. 

That's the thing. 

Being authentic, or original, means nothing to the consumer if they don't like it. 

I've had authentic dishes from Asia, Africa and beyond. I've had authentic chicken feet, and I've had them prepared starkly differently, in a more american style. I've eaten all manner of snakes to bugs. Not everything "authentic" is good.

Likewise with games though. It's all personal preference. While I personally believe that anything can be palatable if prepared properly, what is good to one, is bad to another.

If you don't like the "authentic" cuisines, it's not only okay not to eat it, but it also shouldn't be looked down on. It's okay that people like different things.

On topic, it's the same with people who write and play games. There will be a day that our oldschool dinosaur perspectives may not have the clout we all believe they do. I don't hear the younger generation clamoring for SWG to return, even if they've read and researched it. I don't hear a lot of old timers shaking the rafters for the next Fortnite update either. 

Both perspectives are okay. Let people eat what they want.
    CaffynatedAlBQuirky

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    cheyane said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

To be honest, authenticity doesn't matter. Sure, I love authentic food from all over the world, but the only reason why authentic matters at all, is because it's a flavor that you may not have tried before. 

That's the thing. 

Being authentic, or original, means nothing to the consumer if they don't like it. 

I've had authentic dishes from Asia, Africa and beyond. I've had authentic chicken feet, and I've had them prepared starkly differently, in a more american style. I've eaten all manner of snakes to bugs. Not everything "authentic" is good.

Likewise with games though. It's all personal preference. While I personally believe that anything can be palatable if prepared properly, what is good to one, is bad to another.

If you don't like the "authentic" cuisines, it's not only okay not to eat it, but it also shouldn't be looked down on. It's okay that people like different things.

On topic, it's the same with people who write and play games. There will be a day that our oldschool dinosaur perspectives may not have the clout we all believe they do. I don't hear the younger generation clamoring for SWG to return, even if they've read and researched it. I don't hear a lot of old timers shaking the rafters for the next Fortnite update either. 

Both perspectives are okay. Let people eat what they want.

I find I dislike most "ethnic" foods to be honest. They tend to lack subtlety and complexity favoring strong/overpowering flavors that all blend together into a uniform taste.

It tends to just slap you in the face with strong spices from the first bite and doesn't really have a lot of depth. I'm big on salty and sweet, which is something most (obviously not all) authentic dishes are lacking. It was a pretty big surprise when I went to Taiwan that very few of their dishes are fried (almost all Americanese dishes are) and were instead boiled or steamed.

They also love to include things that I find undesirable like organs, tofu, insects, things Americans would consider redneck food like snake, turtle, frog, and even external body parts like eyes and feet. I don't care how much seasoning you put on it, I'm not eating offal.

But to each their own. It could be worse, you could like Fortnite and mobile games.
    Amathemaskedweasel
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    I like Chinese food. 
    Caffynated
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    cheyane said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

Vancouver has amazing restaurants. I was there in October as I took a rail trip through the rockies and it ended in Vancouver. Every restaurant we went to was amazing.
    Iselinlaserit
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    edited February 2020
    Speaking strictly as an older gamer... does this feel like the type of job that would pay enough to eventually allow one to retire? If not, then it's really only a spot for someone to do a few years at most. So it's going to be super tough for a site like this to retain seasoned professionals. So the regulars are going to change out every so often.  Whether it's to the readers' gain or loss is up to the individual reader and what they like to read and where they are coming from in their gaming life.  

So yeah, I'm personally not feeling like most of the current staff represents my interests. I check it daily but most of the time I don't even seen an article headline that resonates so I move on.  edit: also can't stand the new look of the site. Gah, even more of a cluster than the last couple.
    newbismxAlBQuirkyMendel
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I agree- Just saw the new look and not digging it at all.

-Again though- I'm here for the forums, to hear what you guys have to say and to laugh at Star Citizen so its all good.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I kinda don't care about the authors on this site at the moment. I will admit that I took a break from the website in early 2018 for about a year and was shocked when I came back. Bill and Suzie had left and so the number of articles seemed to have dropped off dramatically, along with the quality of the articles. But, it was the forums that surprised me most. In the course of a year, the activity in the forums seemed to have at least halved, if not more, and its full of spam bots. But, I'm not surprised. The MMO market is in a bad way, particularly in the west. What was the last AAA MMO release from a western dev? Wildstar? ESO? Its been 5+ years of a really shit market with hardly anything releasing at all. Is it any surprise that both the authors and community of this site got discouraged and left? If the market ever picks up again I'm sure the community and the quality of the writers here will improve again. Simply having something to be excited about is likely to pick things up around here.
    AlBQuirkySamhael[Deleted User]Mendel
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    This site, and all others that aren't related directly to MMO games (company game sites and the RMT crowd doing the detailed breakdowns, etc.) have been slowing down for years. With times such as the last year where there were boosts in the slowdown. 
    This site used to be very active. That was back in the heyday of MMORPGs in the west. 
    Back when players knew what terms meant, lol. 

I have no problem with the writers here, myself. I've never expected or seen really well done articles, here or anywhere else. It's all got fluff and positivity, and a lack of real detail. The only places I've seen details was on a few YouTube videos from a few guys that did it well. 
    But I could still get a feel for a game, if it was Themepark Level Grind or what. Almost always Themepark, but that's a different story. 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....