Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamers are ditching Radeon graphics cards over driver issues (Specifically Navi)

AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Black screens and flickering. The more things change the more they stay the same....

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/306175-amd-is-investigating-black-screen-driver-issues-on-radeon-cards

Now coming to the issues, the first and most prominent bug which users have been experiencing since August 2019 is the black screen issue. AMD has yet to isolate the issue since it's known to occur randomly. Most users have reported a black screen to occur while playing gamers or during driver installation. The first issue could arise due to a driver crash which doesn't reboot the PC but to fix it, you'd have to do it regardless. The second issue occurs due to a buggy driver installation which means that users have to clean all existing entries of the driver install using a utility such as DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), try to reinstall the drivers again and hope that this time it doesn't lead to a black screen.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI8iQa1hv7oV_Z8D35vVuSg/community

Shame

Ozmodanbotrytis[Deleted User]Gdemami

Comments

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    edited February 2020
    Arterius said:
    I always buy Nvidia. I dont know why as I know nothing about PC's. Just seems like a good choice as must games say, "Nvdia the way it's meant to be played."
    I've had both and both have had their fair share of driver issues. For me it's usually been hardware compatibility ones. That said, for me, historically occurrence of issues has always been worst on ATI/AMD.

That poll at the end of the post above has about 50k people voting showing 1 in 5 have issues with AMD. 

The new cards, process node and tech are all good but they really need to sort out the drivers.
    Ozmodan[Deleted User]Gdemami

• 05rsx91105rsx911 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I havent owned a radeon card since the 4850..I picked up a 5700xt liquid devil last month and returned it because out of the box it wouldnt clock past 300mhz...they have an updated bios on powercolors devil club website and even after that it still had massive issue's with clocking properly

Also the bug with the latest drivers where if u have a 144hz monitor and run that refresh rate it maxes navi cards memory clocks 24/7 so it doesnt idle ...drove me crazy
    Ozmodan
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Verkkokauppa.com, a Finnish retailer, lists how large percentage of products have been returned to them once the product has sold enough copies to make listing meaningful. For RX 5700 it looks like all their listed return rates are over 10%.

Source: www.verkkokauppa.com (webpage is only in Finnish)
    AmazingAvery[Deleted User]

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited February 2020
    I stopped buying Radeon long time ago, like 10 years ago.
    They overheat fast, they consume way too much power, and their driver are shit.

This are well known issues which ATI and then AMD never addressed.
    They focus too much on performance, but that’s not all people want from a discreet card.

I prefer spending a little bit more and buy Nvidia, I never had an issue with their cards.

Ozmodan
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I have not actually had a radeon card except on  a laptop but Nvidia has had it's fair share of driver problems. I have bought Nvidia so I can only comment on that card.
    [Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    edited February 2020
    My first AMD (well ATI at the time) gfx card was Rage 128 Pro back in the dark ages. Back then the drivers sucked.

I had another AMD card like 5 years ago. The drivers sucked.

That AMD drivers would still suck is hardly a surprise for me...

Edit: On the bright side i think I got the Half-Life demo with that first card, so not a total loss.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited February 2020
    For AMD this is the first major driver issue they experienced since acquiring ATI. More than likely the issue revolves around heat. AMDs coolers have been insufficient for the past few years. The drivers aren't really the issue to me. You can't driver away poor cooling implementations and clocks. There is something to say in how nVidia GameWorks affects AMD drivers specifically, but that's not the issue here.

As for the poll it shows 22% of nVidia users experience driver issues. Where as 47% of AMD users experience driver issues.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2020
    Between 2010 and now I've only had 3 GPUs, two Nvidia and one AMD. I've had less driver issues with that AMD card in those 10 years. With that said, I'm considering getting another Nvidia card just because they have official Linux drivers. If I'm not mistaken, new Ubuntu distributions don't have official AMD drivers anymore.

EDIT: also, my GTX970 fried last October. I'm afraid of getting an AMD card now since they get much hotter.
    [Deleted User]

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    That's a shame, I was considering AMD for my next PC. I've had a good run on Nvidia / Intel for over 10 years across 3 PCs, but it just feels like both companies are dragging their feet and more interested in gimmicks than solid performance gains at a reasonable price.
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    acidblood said:
    That's a shame, I was considering AMD for my next PC. I've had a good run on Nvidia / Intel for over 10 years across 3 PCs, but it just feels like both companies are dragging their feet and more interested in gimmicks than solid performance gains at a reasonable price.
    AMD CPUs are the best right now, don’t buy Intel.
    For the Graphic card though, stick with Nvidia.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    So you're saying that the problems are so awful and so widespread that it took seven months for anyone to notice?

More seriously, yes, both vendors' drivers have problems here and there, but in most cases, they're pretty good about fixing them.
    [Deleted User]
    Between 2010 and now I've only had 3 GPUs, two Nvidia and one AMD. I've had less driver issues with that AMD card in those 10 years. With that said, I'm considering getting another Nvidia card just because they have official Linux drivers. If I'm not mistaken, new Ubuntu distributions don't have official AMD drivers anymore.

EDIT: also, my GTX970 fried last October. I'm afraid of getting an AMD card now since they get much hotter.
    AMD offers official drivers for the latest LTS version of Ubuntu.  If your plan is to stay on the latest LTS version and only upgrade to a new version of that every two years, then AMD offers official drivers for you.  Nvidia says they offer "Linux x64" drivers, but doesn't specify which distributions are supported, so I'm not sure if they do the same thing as AMD or something different.

AMD's Navi cards are comparable on energy efficiency to Nvidia's Turing cards.  It's the older Polaris and Vega cards that were inefficient.  Keeping temperatures at appropriate levels is the responsibility of the board partner, and there's no real reason to believe that AMD cards would tend to be worse (or better) than Nvidia t this.
    [Deleted User]
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Been putting AMD graphics cards in most of the systems I make and have had zero issues, yet the guy who wanted Nvidia 2080's, 2 of the 3 cards failed within the first month.  These driver related issues could be related to people making poor choices when putting together their systems.  I won't mention who the OEM was on those Nvidia cards, but they all went back.   Buying the cheapest card can come back and bite you in the butt.

To the guy who said that AMD runs hot, they all run hot.  It really comes down to how well the card is cooled.
    [Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Ozmodan said:
    Been putting AMD graphics cards in most of the systems I make and have had zero issues, yet the guy who wanted Nvidia 2080's, 2 of the 3 cards failed within the first month.  These driver related issues could be related to people making poor choices when putting together their systems.  I won't mention who the OEM was on those Nvidia cards, but they all went back.   Buying the cheapest card can come back and bite you in the butt.

To the guy who said that AMD runs hot, they all run hot.  It really comes down to how well the card is cooled.
    Err, you put three 2080 cards in the same box? I think I see the problem.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Make me wonder of the people making these claims actually know wtf they’re talking about.
    Ridelynn[Deleted User]NorseGod
    Kyleran said:
    Ozmodan said:

Err, you put three 2080 cards in the same box? I think I see the problem.

;)
    sorry should have stated that was 3 different systems.  I build systems for people.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    I think the simple fact is this time around it is very prevalent and obviously a large portion of owners have issues. The proof is really there on a level that is massive in scale. AMD drivers are simply not as robust as Nvidia’s and are simply more susceptible to hardware tweaks and changes. 

This doesn’t bode well for AMD’s next card iteration. It can be the fastest ever but if the drivers make it susceptible two things that aren’t an issue with Nvidia’s, then bottom line, I’m going to think more than twice for a purchase consideration.
    OzmodanGdemami

I think the simple fact is this time around it is very prevalent and obviously a large portion of owners have issues. The proof is really there on a level that is massive in scale. AMD drivers are simply not as robust as Nvidia’s and are simply more susceptible to hardware tweaks and changes. 

This doesn’t bode well for AMD’s next card iteration. It can be the fastest ever but if the drivers make it susceptible two things that aren’t an issue with Nvidia’s, then bottom line, I’m going to think more than twice for a purchase consideration.
    How do you know that Navi driver problems are so prevalent?  I'm not saying that it is or isn't.  I am saying that it's nearly impossible to have a controlled trial to find out.  Convenience samples where some people are far more motivated to respond than others are not the same thing as a controlled trial.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    If i had a nickle for every time someone posted "AMD Drivers sux, that's why I only use nVidia"

I have 3 gaming PCs in my house, mine, wife, and kid.

Mine has an 980, wife has a 470 (she's next in line to get a new build), kid as a 580.

I have ~way~ more driver problems with the 980, I have to keep a 399 revision driver to roll back to, seems every other driver release there in the 400s has broke something random. Maybe one issue on the 470 with a driver the entire time it's been in, which was cleared up as soon as I convinced the Wife she should install driver updates from AMD, not Microsoft Update.

Prior to this 980, I had a 6970, for many years. Solid card, no significant issues with that one.

Now - that doesn't mean I hate nVidia, or that the 980 hasn't been a decent card. It's totally ancedotal evidence with a small sample set. But on the whole, I just figure any time someone posts "AMD Drivers Suk, I own nVidia" I can automatically flag that poster as a Ten-Eye-zero-deeTee. It's long been a Team Green propoganda line and people love to throw it around without any real, recent experience, and conveniently forget that Team Green is not only not any better, but has been known to brick cards with updates...

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Was this sponsored by nvidia?
    OzmodanAmazingAvery
    AMD claims that yesterday's driver update fixed a bunch of things that were causing black screens.
    AmazingAvery

What complete nonsense!!!
  • NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756
    I watched the 1st video & the man says around 2 to 3 times I can recollect that the rate is 13%? but he can't reproduce the issue but sites polls among the gamers who say they can.  He talks about making sure you have a clean install too.

Says 20.02.2 drivers fixed things for him.  That's March 2nd.  Your 1st video is 2-13-20.

Now this is from a little over a year and 4 months ago but it still shows Nvidia's spin on the merry-go-round.

They were able to duplicate problems with the 2080Ti.  

He talks about the failures being within a low enough rate, that the problem isn't as widespread as it's appearing, but still acknowledges a problems with a card that users spent a good chunk of money on.  

5 months ago.  Pour soul gave up.

Lights out!

This is from april of 2019

Nvidia CPU usage bug but gets fixed.

Again, my point is both have problems.  Capiche?

It's really going to be pretty dumb if there's no competition.

You think Nvidia or ATI cares about you?  This fanboy thing makes no sense. 
    I've used both. /shrug
    Ozmodan

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    They all look the same to me.
    Ridelynn
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/