Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Developer Diary Shows Off The Warring Factions Of Aeternum - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2020 in Videos Discussion

imageNew World Developer Diary Shows Off The Warring Factions Of Aeternum - MMORPG.com

Amazon Game Studios have released a new dev diary showing off the enemies you might find throughout your exploration of Aeternum, the Eternal Isle in the upcoming MMO New World. The diary goes into detail some of the enemies you'll encounter, as well as why the land is deathless.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    edited February 2020
    I highly doubt there's much depth to the open world pve beyond clumps of enemies in consolidated areas for leveling and loot drop purposes. The fact they're "waiting to see" what to develop for pve players is shocking as they've taken their game in a direction that's supposed to appease to pve players.
    XAleX360[Deleted User]IsilithTehrothMcSleazRaapnaapGamePlay4Uxmentyinfomatz
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • VoidfarerVoidfarer Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Looks great! Really looking forward to day 1!
    ValentinaIceAgeMargraveSailorMomDekahnGamePlay4Uholdenhamlet
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I had written this one off. But I dunno. Looks kind of cool.
    MargraveTacticalZombehIlaya

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    I hear they ruined the game and totally removed Full-Loot PVP aspect, no PVP servers...

They could have simply done PVE option but an option to toggle PVP with full loot as well.
    ValentinaMikehaDrius75SlyLoKMcSleazRaapnaapalamirkurdiSinsaiThuplichocolate42069and 3 others.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Renoaku said:

I hear they ruined the game and totally removed Full-Loot PVP aspect, no PVP servers...

They could have simply done PVE option but an option to toggle PVP with full loot as well.

They removed non-consensual pvp in the normal world. You can still opt to PvP, in which case you would fight other people who opted to PvP.
    Drius75biaxilbcbullyTacticalZombehAlomarjdnewellSinsaiultimateduckchocolate42069Dryxalineand 4 others.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited February 2020
    Alomar said:
    I highly doubt there's much depth to the open world pve beyond clumps of enemies in consolidated areas for leveling and loot drop purposes. The fact they're "waiting to see" what to develop for pve players is shocking as they've taken their game in a direction that's supposed to appease to pve players.
    Is there any depth to any open world pve?

I can't think of one game that has "depth" to such things other than to provide encounters for the players to battle.

edit "maybe" Guild Wars 2 or Elder Scrolls Online if the story bits connect or have some lasting impact that is greater than just "problem solved."

AlomarRexKushman
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    edited February 2020
    I have to say I really like the asthetic of the world. Some of those cutscenes with the moon were pretty cool.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I'm looking forward to this one so much more now with the recent changes.
    MargraveVoidfarer
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Got an email with a steam product key telling me "We’ve added a tremendous amount of new features and content based on player feedback since you played in the last Alpha Test." I never played the alpha or got a key for it.

They must be ramping up trying to see how many they can get online in one area til server crashes-

"Help us test!
    This Saturday, February 15th at 7-8pm PT make the trek to Cooper Ranch, located just northwest of Windsward. Meet up at Cooper Ranch, create as large a player swarm as possible and kill every creature in sight! This will give us valuable data to help make New World the best it can be.
    See you there!"
  • ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
    I'd just like to be invited to alpha test!
  • biaxilbiaxil Member UncommonPosts: 35

Utinni said:

Renoaku said:

They removed non-consensual pvp in the normal world. You can still opt to PvP, in which case you would fight other people who opted to PvP.

Yea, but no one will though.

Loved EQ Classic and hates that carebears had it changed.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    biaxil said:

Utinni said:

Renoaku said:

Which tells us what? That people in general do not want PvP in their MMORPG.
    AlomarThupliMcSleazchocolate42069VoidfarerDryxalineUngoodMagikarpsGhostTacticalZombehinfomatzand 1 other.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

biaxil said:

Utinni said:

Renoaku said:

It's called a hint. Some people know how to take it.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited February 2020
    SlyLoK said:
    biaxil said:

Utinni said:

Renoaku said:

Which tells us what? That people in general do not want PvP in their MMORPG.

So depends on who is going to sustain the funding of the mmo in the future
    ThupliMcSleazbcbullyinfomatzcheeba
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    I remember when I started seeing "!" and glowing trails (EQ, post wow) telling you where to go on your current quests stage and I was absolutely outraged. It completely ruined the challenge in the MMO genre and it hasn't been the same since. When I complained about it, along with many others that also share this website, people would exclaim, "Just turn it off!", but alas they just don't understand. If you can turn something on (quest guides) or off (pvp) then you are at a clear advantage over anyone that does the opposite.

There is no exploration in a PVE MMORPG when glowing arrows, exclamation points, mystical pathways are telling you where to go, and there is no danger in a PVP MMORPG when you can simply turn it off.

You don't have to like PVP to understand why people are against the idea of a toggle. 
    craftseekerAlomarmandark91ThupliMcSleazbcbullydenitercheebaborghive49
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    This video took them 6 weeks to make and it contains zero actual information, just more repeating of what they said before. Oh look, the game has mobs that stand or walk around.

Mark my words: This game will release with practically no content. This is what happens when you flip the design direction of a game 180 degrees just half a year prior to launching.

Buyer beware, do not pre-order and wait for people to confirm the obvious.
    BruceYeeAgent_JosephRexKushmanXAleX360Panzerbeorne39cheebaborghive49
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Looks like catastrophe waiting to happen
    RaapnaapThuplibcbullyborghive49

• LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    Sovrath said:
    Alomar said:
    Is there any depth to any open world pve?

I can't think of one game that has "depth" to such things other than to provide encounters for the players to battle.

edit "maybe" Guild Wars 2 or Elder Scrolls Online if the story bits connect or have some lasting impact that is greater than just "problem solved."

I suppose the depth here could be being attacked by these faction NPCs. You're an enemy faction, they're going to try and kill you.

The only time I've experienced depth in open-world PvE is when I kill a random enemy and they drop an item that sets me on a quest. Otherwise, I think it's just meant to give a sense of danger to the world in general?
    AlomarThupli
  • DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573
    Uninspiring video.and short, what are they hiding? Its like they are saying "no " "you will love oyr pointless PVE we have removed any pvp death penalty whatsoever!"
    Raapnaap
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I hope failing to please neither the PvP nor the PvE people does not prove fatal for the game. They need to add loads of PvE content or we PvE players will not play.
    mandark91ThupliTacticalZombehinfomatzcheeba
    Chamber of Chains
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    I am still confused of what this game is supposed to be.
  • ZganarelZganarel Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    THIS VIDEO IS A SPOIL :(
    stop explain the story that we want to discover when we will playing ...
    explaine what the 3 factions we can take at the begin !

Amazon game, with this kind of video, you just set fire to hardcore mmo gamer who always find to critic ...
  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    at least a new, hopefully mmorpg, game afterall
    ChaserzdeniterShadus
  • DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Looks interesting enough to jump in! Not much goin on in May anyways.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

biaxil said:

Utinni said:

Renoaku said:

Correct. When given the chance to pvp vs other people who choose pvp, most folks won't. 99% of PvP MMO players don't want consensual PvP.
    ThupliAlomarTacticalZombeh