Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Novels based on video games

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
Hi guys, 

I just recently read Starcraft: Evolution and it was pretty decent. It was kind of nice to see someone describe what a fight against zerg would actually be like. I've also read some of the Halo books as well. I did read some of the Witcher books but they never stuck with me. I have a feeling reading them in their native polish would be much better . . . 

I heard the WH40K books were pretty good and it is always fun to read some D&D books. What are some other good books based on video games that are worth reading. 

Also, do you think it would be feasible (probably not) to write a short story in a video game world and then see if the devs would purchase it from you or let you license it to them? I assume, you couldn't be a nobody. But i've always wondered if I were to do something in the Path of Exile world. 

Even though i probably suck at writing, i do have a 100,000 word novel sitting in my gmail collecting dust because I play video games too much. 

Thanks
Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
AmatheAlBQuirky

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Reamde and Fall (or, Dodge in Hell) are pretty good.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited July 2019
    Some of the early World of Warcraft books are pretty good, if not totally accurate lore-wise. I loved the War of the Ancients Trilogy (The Well of Eternity, Demon Soul, & The Sundering) as well as Rise of the Horde and Beyond the Dark Portal. There are a literal ton of WoW books that are so-so. I sort of have an axe to grind with Christie Golden so, while I've read lots of hers in the WoW book series, they're not my favorites -- at least her more modern ones.

For Diablo, I really enjoyed The Sin War and Legacy of Blood.

I also loved Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne, Dragon Age: The Calling, and Dragon Age: Asunder as well as Dragon Age: The Masked Empire. The rest were not nearly as good. 

Mass Effect novels written during the original trilogy are sorta "meh", though I did enjoy Mass Effect: Revelation as it tracks Anderson's backstory. The ones that are around Andromeda's timeline are actually very well written even if you didn't care for the game. Mass Effect: Andromeda - Nexus Rising and Mass Effect: Andromeda - Annihilation are really good. Mass Effect: Andromeda - Initiation I found not as good as it centers on Cora's story and...eh.

Lots of people love the Witcher novels too.

As for short stories, a lot of games these days have lore sections with short stories to explain things/people. WoW, in fact, has a huge section of novellas. 

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/story#tab=short-stories
    CryomatrixAmatheAlBQuirky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Basically Warcraft, Diablo, D&D books. Some good, some not so good but good enough to read. Devs aren't really interested in fan written stories you usually go into a private forum either in real life or online and then do afew examples and either it's successful or not. Just from personal experience. Would be nice if some fan written stuff got realized and implemented into games though. Only example I can think of is where a player story made it into a game is Runescape (something about wrestling pigs) good times.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    It's absolutely possible to write a story about video game and the publish it as long as you do it for free.

But if you're planning to write for money you'd more or less need to be a pro with established record.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't like devs using known brands to support selling a half assed game.
    It is WAY easier to put some known title on a game and guarantee some decent sales.Much harder to sell a brand new IP,it will be forced to rely on it's own merit than marketing and hype.

I rather see devs utilize mythology or something similar or just make up a plausible Fantasy theme or Ancient pre Dinosaur era type Lore,be creative.

If i see a Spiderman game...which i did,i am not even remotely interested,if i see an Xmen game,a big no thanks.99% of the time,the game will be much worse than the book or movie.

I used to love Hp Lovecraft stuff,but i am really not interested in a game labeled a Hp.Lovecraft type game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I read some WoW books long, long ago. They were not bad. The movie sucked though. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I liked the movie
    [Deleted User]
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    What are some other good books based on video games that are worth reading.
    Interesting notion, considering most of the examples are not falling into that category... (D&D and WH40k books are backing up the systems and not based on video games, and Witcher novels were before the first game)

Personally I've found most novels-on-games have fairly generic, fanfiction-esque quality.
    If I had to suggest one, I liked a few of the novels around AoC, especially Kern. ( https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/152209.Age_of_Conan )
    Clearly not the style of Howard, but fun nevertheless. For me it was better than the regular post-Howard Conan books, maybe just because of the game, you meet those characters as NPCs.

The first few S.T.A.L.K.E.R. books were interesting too, at least as a project, since I don't like the games much. I more liked to explore the arch of changes, since I love the original material, the Strugatsky brothers' short novel and Tarkovsky's movie.
    Was interesting to see how the books handle the multiple transitions, they cover a game which is loosely based on a movie and a novel before that, and sometimes you can see elements which were not from the game but from the original source.
    Phaserlight
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited February 2020
    The Guild Wars novels really added to the pre-story of GW2. They are well worth reading.

Ghosts of Ascalon

Edge of Destiny

Sea of Sorrows
    Post edited by botrytis on

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    @Renfail has written a novel based on the upcoming Saga of Lucimia MMORPG.  Have not read it myself yet, but will one of these days:  https://www.amazon.com/Echoes-Past-Saga-Lucimia-Book-ebook/dp/B07KDZ1S88

AmatheRenfail

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    edited February 2020
    @Renfail has written a novel based on the upcoming Saga of Lucimia MMORPG.  Have not read it myself yet, but will one of these days:  https://www.amazon.com/Echoes-Past-Saga-Lucimia-Book-ebook/dp/B07KDZ1S88

Thanks for the mention. Buuuut *Technically* it's the other day 'round =P 

Much in the same way that Shadows of Angmar (LOTRO) followed in the footsteps of the Fellowship of the Ring leading up to the gates of Moria, the launch version of our game (yet to be titled, probably the same as the book) follows the events of the story laid out in book one. 

I realize this is an older thread, but I was also reading back through some of the earlier comments and wanted to touch on this one: 

Also, do you think it would be feasible (probably not) to write a short story in a video game world and then see if the devs would purchase it from you or let you license it to them? 
    Thanks

We've taken a more TSR/Wizards of the Coast approach in that we are actively talking with existing authors who will be coming on board to work with us in the world of Lucimia, in much the same way authors worked within the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms worlds. 

For example, the guy we're talking with about working with us on the tabletop version is also currently working with Ed Greenwood on an upcoming project. 

I created the world, set the lore, and am writing the "core" books, but the overall world is one that will be a shared universe that only contracted authors will be working within. 

In terms of licensing fan fiction, there is almost zero liklihood that a fan-written story is going to fit into the lore/overall storyline arc that I have already crafted for the world. Official partner writers are going to be working on stories that already fit into the arc based on existing outlines, and while we may accept pitches from folks in the future on potential stories, they are things that will have to slot into the existing machine in some way or form. 

I guess another way to look at it is the Extended Unvierse (or whatever they are calling it these days) of Star Wars, which kicked off with the first Thrawn trilogy in the early 90s, or the KOTOR games. These were all stories and games that were sanctioned by Lucas and whose storylines were carefully curated and approved before production was allowed to begin. Zero fan-fiction was used. 

UngoodCryomatrixAmathe
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon