Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old school games were clearly better

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited February 2020
    Shaigh said:
    The old school board games I played when growing up were pretty bad, the strategic games took way too much time and then you had the luckbased games. 

I got to knew a friend that bought lots of board games in early 00's and that's when I got into board games and in general you had lots of interesting games that took somewhere between 60-180 minutes meaning you could easily play them in an evening.

Hrrm... so even board game makers started catering to "filthy casuals" and whiners who complained the old school games took too much time, and weren't skill based enough.....

Perhaps they were the ones who started such trends, even before MMORPGs went down the same road...

Looks like we have finally identified who was to blame for the decline into easy mode gaming, time to start boiling the tar and plucking the chickens...

They are going to make such a lovely fire as we burn them....

;)

ultimateduckShaighSovrathAlBQuirkycameltosis[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited February 2020
    When I was a kid, it was always "Snakes and Ladders"

After a little reading its interesting to note that the game originated in 13 century India as "Moksha Patam". It made its way to England as "Snakes and Ladders" in 1892. "Chutes and Ladders" was Milton Bradley's version of the game and was introduced in 1943.

Learn something new everyday ;)
    Post edited by laserit on
    AmatheMendelAlBQuirky[Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Kyleran said:
    Shaigh said:
    The old school board games I played when growing up were pretty bad, the strategic games took way too much time and then you had the luckbased games. 

I got to knew a friend that bought lots of board games in early 00's and that's when I got into board games and in general you had lots of interesting games that took somewhere between 60-180 minutes meaning you could easily play them in an evening.

Hrrm... so even board game makers started catering to "filthy casuals" and whiners who complained the old school games took too much time, and weren't skill based enough.....

Perhaps they were the ones who started such trends, even before MMORPGs went down the same road...

Looks like we have finally identified who was to blame for the decline into easy mode gaming, time to start boiling the tar and plucking the chickens...

;)

Blame television! It's just books for casuals!
    AlBQuirkycameltosis[Deleted User]
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,267
    Kyleran said:
    Shaigh said:

;)

Monopoly was a grind fest.
    [Deleted User]
  • FrykkaFrykka Member UncommonPosts: 154
    My favorites were Gostop and Baduk
    For western games my favorite was an old Dune game from Avalon Hill.
    I played that every weekend for a long time with friends.  

See the source image
    With 6 players Dune is by far the best strategic game, I have 2 copies in my collection.  My most complicated being "Freedom in the Galaxy" and "Magic Realm".  I have the original Squad Leader complete and ASL which we played a lot in the 1980s.  I extensively added rules to Titan, Elric, and Dragon Pass.  I used to get a regular game of the classic "Blitskrieg" going at Christmas with my oldest kid.
    laseritMendel[Deleted User]
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,267

Anyone else remember Gamma World. For me, it was between D&D, AD&D and Gamma World... later dabbing in Marvel Superheroes and Star Trek
    laseritMendel
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Warhammer and MTG were my highschool tabletop games of choice. 
    You did not pick a cheap gaming hobby did you?
    AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785

Anyone else remember Gamma World. For me, it was between D&D, AD&D and Gamma World... later dabbing in Marvel Superheroes and Star Trek
    Yes, indeed. 
    My old D&D friends had moved on from gaming, and most had moved away, by that time. But I saw this and on a whim I bought it just to take a look-see. 
    I actually liked it quite a bit. Quite different in a Thundar The Barbarian sort of way, and well designed I thought, since I had no one to play it with for a real test. 

I designed a system of weighted random rolls as a sort of AI that worked really well, and had to try my best to DM myself without bias (lol), in DMing things that wouldn't fall under an AI. 

That game was simple, yet very playable in my opinion, with a good DM and well developed world.
    I've suggested Thundar The Barbarian as a possible type of game for an MMORPG, but this game was what really inspired that idea. 

I loved the Duo-Brain and double action capability. I'm not sure how balanced that would be though. But I'm sure it could be limited and still interesting. 

Once upon a time....

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2020
    newbismx said:
    All I had was an empty tin can and a paperclip to play with =(

don't feel bad, i remember making little "soldiers" and cars with mud and playing with them after they dried up.
    AlBQuirky

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    edited February 2020
    Kyleran said:
    Shaigh said:

;)

I don't think I ever actually finished a game of Monopoly (we called it Monotony)
    KyleranAlBQuirkyultimateduck[Deleted User]
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Kyleran said:
    Shaigh said:

;)

I don't think I ever actually finished a game of Monopoly (we called it Monotony)
    What I find funniest about Monopoly is that it was a game designed to show the evils of Capitalism.  Then it got bought, and turned into a huge long-running asset.   
    AlBQuirkyultimateduck

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    edited February 2020
    Cyberpunk 2020 (pen and paper)
    Monopoly
    Risk
    Axis and allies (sadly I didn't play enough of this, a somewhat tedious game to get going iirc)

I want to take the opportunity to just say, that, given how far off I think Cyberpunk 2077 is from the 2020 pen and paper game, and how I disliekd Witcher 3, and how it is basically a console port of a game, I don't think I will like it, but I will ofc watch reviews of it on youtube.
  • NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756
    edited March 2020
    Sorry to aid in necroing the thread.

Edit:  Sorry my previous comment was in error so I deleted it

Also if the photo bombing is too much I can tune it down

Besides Monopoly before I found video games

Conquest of the Empire - This was one I really enjoyed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conquest_of_the_Empire

Conquest of the Empire is a military strategy board game set in the Roman Empire after the death of Marcus Aurelius, with 2 to 6 players pitting their armies against each other in an attempt to become the ruler of Rome. The game was originally created in 1982 by Larry Harris and published by The Citadel under the title VI Caesars. Harris revised the game for Milton Bradley in 1984 to be reissued under the title Conquest of the Empire as part of the Gamemaster series. The game was re-released in the summer of 2005 by Eagle Games, redesigned by Glenn Drover. The gameplay in Conquest of the Empire shares similarities to Axis & Allies, another Larry Harris project within the same series.

Yahtzee  ;)

Post edited by Narug on
    AlBQuirky

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Risk was a game we use to play day after day. Used to own 3 copies of the game because friends would come over and everyone wanted to play. Guess thats an old fashion lan party lol. 

I still play board games...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003D7F4YY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love this game. Its unique in that everyone playing is playing together to beat the game. You have to plan your moves together to win the game. Its fast paced and a hoot. Sometimes playing the game 2-5 times in a row and its fun as new players start to get how to win. 
    AlBQuirky
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited July 2020
    Scrabble and Monopoly.

Games like Chess, Go or Japanese Chess defeat me because I cannot plan ahead and improvise while playing.

I do play Mahjong well with other old ladies.
    AlBQuirkycheyane

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I played board games alot.  Beyond the family ones, I also played Talisman, Paydirt and Shadowrun the most.  I really wanted to play D and D but had no one who played or wanted to learn among my friends.  
    AlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    kitarad said:
    Scrabble and Monopoly.

Games like Chess, Go or Japanese Chess defeat me because I cannot plan ahead and improvise while playing.

I do play Mahjong well with other old ladies.
    ugh Mahjong,

A friend of mine learned Americna Mahjong and joined a group who played every week. They needed a 4th so I learned. 

It's like some madman created it. Especialy at the start when you are going to the right and the center and the left and back to the center.

I think of all the times I played I only won once. And I can never remember the "hand" on the card and don't know if I should change, etc. 

If you can play Mahjong I think you can play chess!
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    tzervo said:
    Funny how some things did not change that much since then.

We also had cheaters, bugs and exploits (aka holes in the rules that allowed misinterpretation and drama following up), balancing issues etc back then :P
    Your acting like it was 40 years ago
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited July 2020
    Loved all the board games and card games with the family.  My friends and I were more on the tail end of the table top RPG golden era (early 90s) but we played AD&D, D&D, Marvel Superheros... but then we just tried out a bunch of other more obscure ones.  There was even one set in a cold war theme between the USA and USSR ... cant recall the name.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    Oh honest question, did your GMs abide by permadeath of your character sheet during sessions if there was a full wipe?
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    tzervo said:
    Oh honest question, did your GMs abide by permadeath of your character sheet during sessions if there was a full wipe?
    Depends on how much players got on the GMs nerves at that day  >:) (I was the GM).

Nah, the hallmark of a good GM is to be able to give the players the illusion of risk so they try their best but let them keep the characters they are attached to for as long as they want. Some "real" loss that stings helps reinforce that illusion, but not permadeath.

Yes... My AD&D DMs ran the gamut of roll 3 characters, if one lives to level 3, name them to a DM who wanted to write a story about my character so there was no risk at all, even though I tried :)

I was also lucky enough to play with 2 DMs who had just the right touch for me :)

Never had a DM that took a character sheet and ripped it in half, thank goodness...
    [Deleted User]kitarad

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkyBrainy
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    AlBQuirky said:
    tzervo said:
    Depends on how much players got on the GMs nerves at that day  >:) (I was the GM).

Nah, the hallmark of a good GM is to be able to give the players the illusion of risk so they try their best but let them keep the characters they are attached to for as long as they want. Some "real" loss that stings helps reinforce that illusion, but not permadeath.

Yes... My AD&D DMs ran the gamut of roll 3 characters, if one lives to level 3, name them to a DM who wanted to write a story about my character so there was no risk at all, even though I tried :)

I was also lucky enough to play with 2 DMs who had just the right touch for me :)

Never had a DM that took a character sheet and ripped it in half, thank goodness...
    I would have used the Amulet Vs Chaotic GMs at that point.  
    AlBQuirkyultimateduck

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    My favorite board game as a kid was Parcheesi, played it almost every day.
    I also played Chess and another one i forgot the name where the board forms a star shape with many holes..

Chinese checkers?
    AlBQuirky