Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old school games were clearly better

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Iselin said:
    Avalon Hill's Panzer Blitz and its early '80s computer offspring, Kampfgruppe. I was a war gamer first and the very first computer game I ever got for the Atari 8-bit was Chris Crawford's Eastern Front.
    Squad Leader, Flat Top, loved Avalon hill games. I played SSI's Kampfgruppe on the Amiga back in the 80's
    IselinMendel[Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    I still regularly play backgammon and cribbage. Also Yahtzee on my phone.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Probably played the most Monopoly and Chess
    Sovrath
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I thought this was a delete thread from the title.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I thought this was a delete thread from the title.
    Well, it went by some that I was poking a bit of fun at one of our favorite dead horses.

I do know people still play board games, in fact I read there's been a resurgence in recent years, seems even young people enjoying socializing face to face with friends. 

I would enjoy doing such, well if I had any real life friends of course. ;)
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Well since D&D is there and Warhamner has been mentioned....

MARVEL UNIVERSE I read super heroes compendium after compendium. Put it like this if you liked CoH you would of loved it father. Soooo many powers sooo much freedom
    Amatheultimateduck
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Iselin said:
    Avalon Hill's Panzer Blitz and its early '80s computer offspring, Kampfgruppe. I was a war gamer first and the very first computer game I ever got for the Atari 8-bit was Chris Crawford's Eastern Front.
    Combat Atari 2500 Christmas Day ?. Yep I was a pvpr from day one.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Yeah, I think this topic is way, way off.  There was a board game renaissance from the '90's on, spearheaded by a bunch of German game designers, but expanding every which way.  Board games are better and far more extensive nowadays.   

Started out on old Avalon Hill stuff, one of my teen friends was a playtester, and we'd do War in the East stuff with a map covering his living room.
    KyleranAmarantharAlBQuirkyShaigh

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited February 2020
    Some people just can't recognize a subtle  >:)  but it's all good,  I've really enjoyed this walk down memory lane with everyone, thanks to those who shared.

(Lots more Mousetrap fans than I realized.)

;)
    gervaise1AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 371
    Sorry! was the quickest way to get into a fight.  That smug look on Jimmy's face when he sent me back to the start with the equally smug "SORRY!"....
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I used to play the shit out of a game named "Trivia Adventure" and it's sequel "Game of Knowledge."

Like, I used to annoy the piss out of my older siblings, knew I was annoying, didn't give a damn and still wanted to play them all the time....

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Aggravation!
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I never really liked board games and still don't. Wife likes then though.Although talisman was kinda fun the few times I was able to play.
    Frykka
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Yeah, I think this topic is way, way off.  There was a board game renaissance from the '90's on, spearheaded by a bunch of German game designers...
    Yeah Ravensburger especially. My son loved them and we used to play them a lot when he was small. We played a lot of Labyrinth.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Back in the play by mail days there was a couple of generals sitting around a table. They were the days.
    AlBQuirkynewbismx

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    edited February 2020
    Kyleran said:
    Let's see who reads past the title, as I'm not talking about MMORPGs, or even video games.

I mean the "true" old school board games which we older folks played by candlelight with actual people we knew in real life.  

I was a "gamer" back then too, spending every cent or asking "Santa" for nothing but board games year after year.

So many favorites back then, going to create a poll with some of my favorites but feel free to add any you personally enjoyed before video games changed the world. (Poll will appear shortly)
    I hate these kinds of polls that don't have the ability to choose multiples or have an "ALL" option. I didn't vote but I would have voted ALL.

By the way, I still have probably around 100 board games in my collection. Don't get to play many of them anymore though and have considered getting rid of 99% of them.

AlBQuirky[Deleted User]

Let's party like it is 1863!

• jjash71jjash71 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Monopoly, Shogun , Risk, Dungeon,and  black tower
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Warhammer and MTG were my highschool tabletop games of choice. 
  • SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    D&D but pretty much any TT RPG is great with a group of friends.

Board games wise, I loved Axis & Allies as well as all the Gamemaster series.  Played most of them: Shogun, Fortress America, Conquest of the Empire...but A&A was the best.
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    All I had was an empty tin can and a paperclip to play with =(
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited February 2020
    Voted for D&D as it was probably the most fun game for me, but came later in High School. I also played the snot out of Axis and Allies while I was in the Army, again later in life.

Mouse Trap and Chutes & Ladders were fun games in my childhood, as were Candy Land, Sorry/Parchesi, Milles Bornes, Tag/Freeze Tag, and Animal Twister.

You neglected card games! Pinochle, Canasta, War, and my older brother's favorites 52 Card Pick Up and Smoke or Fire were all great past times :)

As an adult, my D&D buddies met other folks and they still play boardgames about twice a month. I join them when I'm able :)

I agree: Old School games were better.

Addendum:
    After seeing the Avalon Hill references, I was reminded of some sports games I played like Monday Night Football, Paydirt! and NBA Basketball.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

My favorite board game as a kid was Parcheesi, played it almost every day.

I also played Chess and another one i forgot the name where the board forms a star shape with many holes and the pieces that go in the holes are little spheres.

EDIT: ah found the star shaped board game, it's called Sternhalma, but i knew it from the Japanese name Diamond game.
    Was star shape game also called Chinese Checkers? I played that where you moved marble-like pieces across the board in a checkers-like jumping fashion from one triangle to another.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

newbismx said:
    All I had was an empty tin can and a paperclip to play with =(
    McGyver? Is that you?
    AmatherojoArcueid[Deleted User]

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The old school board games I played when growing up were pretty bad, the strategic games took way too much time and then you had the luckbased games. Not counting in classical games like chess and go because they are a completely different beast.

I got to knew a friend that bought lots of board games in early 00's and that's when I got into board games and in general you had lots of interesting games that took somewhere between 60-180 minutes meaning you could easily play them in an evening.

Started playing gloomhaven recently, I like those sorts of campaign based RPG-styled board games more than PnP RPG now.
    Kyleran
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.