Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review Day at the studio

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
Caspien posted these screens from his "review day":

Course time?
Your time?

WTF are they reviewing?

His description: 

Caspian ☁Today at 1:40 AM

The review today focused on the dungeon generator and the mechanics in the first playable experience for the Alpha 1 backers.

----------

Is this really what he thinks people want to see as a playable experience?  Ziplining on a course?
Maybe, but I don't think that's what most people are looking for.  I'd be more interested in actual mechanics and rough game loops like harvesting, crafting and combat.

Thoughts?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Amathe

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I hope my character never has to wear the green yoga pants. What class is that so I never roll one?

Also, the Dev on the far left. Is he stuffed? He seems not to move (except a little with one hand).

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    I don’t even know what I am looking at here.
    The graphics are getting worse, to the point that now it looks like a Nintendo Wii game.
    No UI, no textures, everything looks so amateurish.

I mean, if the game just started development now, I guess it would be ok.
    But how many years this game has been in development? And that’s all they have to show?
  • DeveronDeveron Member UncommonPosts: 60
    That’s the Parcours / locomotion testing dungeon course. The low poly graphics are placeholders. It is very much what folks been asking for. Something to get their hands on and maybe play against each other competitively.

Wether that’s too little too late can only be told when that releases and how long it will take to get any of the MMO features into testers’ hands, methinks. 
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Isn't that just the parkour demo video again?  Or are they claiming that multiple Alpha 1 backers are actually in this video?  I really can't imagine that anyone looking for an MMORPG (and donating to this particular one) are really all that interested in an action oriented parkour course, which is all this appears to be.

So, your king/lord/mayor can slide down a rope slide and hop on some blocks?  Isn't this action stuff more for the peasants, anyway?  Pay for a title, why?

Amathe

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Mendel said:
    Isn't that just the parkour demo video again?  Or are they claiming that multiple Alpha 1 backers are actually in this video?  I really can't imagine that anyone looking for an MMORPG (and donating to this particular one) are really all that interested in an action oriented parkour course, which is all this appears to be.

So, your king/lord/mayor can slide down a rope slide and hop on some blocks?  Isn't this action stuff more for the peasants, anyway?  Pay for a title, why?

I think this is the module they are working on to hand to Alpha backers as their first experience in Elyria.

Moving around and jumping etc... is literally something a dude can do as his Sr Project in college.  I'm hoping they release actual game stuff and loops like harvesting, crafting and combat.  With a decent number of players.

Let's be honest here.  @jamesP has shown more actual gameplay thus far, and more than just moving/climbing.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Well, if I had to make a guess, that’s probably single player and the only online portion will be the leaderboards. But it‘s just a guess.

Hence it won’t quite suffice as a proof there‘s actually a MMO somewhere in development and it would be paramount to deliver an online test client asap. 

Or it‘ll just end up as a flash in a pan. Tho that might be enough for them to make it through the next funding event. Kickstarterversary is around the corner, after all.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Mendel said:

I think this is the module they are working on to hand to Alpha backers as their first experience in Elyria.

Moving around and jumping etc... is literally something a dude can do as his Sr Project in college.  I'm hoping they release actual game stuff and loops like harvesting, crafting and combat.  With a decent number of players.

Let's be honest here.  @jamesP has shown more actual gameplay thus far, and more than just moving/climbing.
    Let’s be honest James P has better game play footage than the #1 voted game on this site... 

Anyways yes CoE is lacking completely on game footage. Forgive me original backers I’m not concerned about the look at all. If they manage to fit this look into all the systems that are planned things will be great.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Deveron said:
    Well, if I had to make a guess, that’s probably single player and the only online portion will be the leaderboards. But it‘s just a guess.

Hence it won’t quite suffice as a proof there‘s actually a MMO somewhere in development and it would be paramount to deliver an online test client asap. 

Or it‘ll just end up as a flash in a pan. Tho that might be enough for them to make it through the next funding event. Kickstarterversary is around the corner, after all.
    If they actually send this as a single-player run around in a parkour demo... that will quite possibly be the end of them.  I cannot imagine that would go over well.

People are starved. Many still fans. It will do. For a time. 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    The backers are getting restless, gotta give them something... anything... :wink:
    strawhat0981
    Deveron said:
    I don't think it will.  I think it will utterly enflame people. Especially if it is single player only.  
    Mendel[Deleted User]

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Amathe said:
    I hope my character never has to wear the green yoga pants. What class is that so I never roll one?

Also, the Dev on the far left. Is he stuffed? He seems not to move (except a little with one hand).
    I didn't watch it, but I think he's preparing the next screen in real-time while sitting there.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• DiscordsOfElyriaDiscordsOfElyria Newbie CommonPosts: 8
    What a piece of s***

It looks like fornite on lower settings, once again, no actual gameplay footage

Just that shitty cartoonish character moving around

VaPoRwArE
    No, we are in pre-alpha right now. There is no release date for neither beta nor alpha. Given the track record of the studio, they can't help but being over optimistic on release dates... so I think it is the right move not to make their own estimate public.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Deveron said:

Be careful how you word these things, @Deveron.  You just might give SBS ideas about a powerful, modern back-end solution for their game -- Flash!  B)

[Deleted User]Deveron

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Everyone has different opinions on what has been shown and what SbS has accomplished thus far. Being a backer and a part of the community for many years here, personally i am appalled and saddened with the trashbin that this project has become. Shame on Caspian and shame on the white knights supporting this, after Caspian has defrauded this community over and over. Seriously, shame on you!

There is zero means to make an actual mmorpg out of this. Where is the soulborne engine? Why do we keep seeing this low poly trash with zero mechanics, when will you people wake up and see the money has been spent and there is nothing to show for it? Whatever, i'll stick around and can't wait to see this unfold. I have my popcorn ready.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I think the entire team is in that one picture,like 4 maybe 5 people and likely only 1-2 are coders,maybe one artist.
    Not sure which will happen first,the USA gets rid of Trump or this game has some glimmer of hope.Right now both are a dark cloud full of bad weather.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I'm voting for Trump and no way would I give these guys money. So, you tell me.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

Corona kills us all. Problem solved. 
    Deveron said:
    Corona kills us all. Problem solved. 
    I don't drink that beer.  I'm safe.

TEKK3NKyleran

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Seriously though, where’s all the money gone?

This is something anyone can do with Unity, are we actually sure they even using their own engine?

On top of that, parkour, seriously?
    That’s the last thing CoE backers are interested in, if at all.
    How they get away with it?
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Deveron said:
    While it be cool to do some course. I would most likely muck around in it for an hour. Then never touch it again. I have zero care for trying to top some leaderboard. I really want to see the world in action, even just a county size. With all the bells and whistles of towns there/NPCs. Basically that little part of the world working away. 

I think SBS sharing these shots does one good thing. It publicly shows how far along they are. There isn't a hope in hell that A1 is going to drop this year. There is even a chance that Pre-Elyria won't. 

Remember the only thing Caspian said on discord was, "A1 backers will get something playable this year". This course, counts as something playable. He is doing the smart thing really. Keeping the white knights happy, the ones still funding him. Sure he will piss off a ton of people, when they notice we aren't getting anything more this year. But who cares about them.
    DeveronKyleranAnOldFart
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    A game about nation building and all they are working on for it is some dungeon parkour.  Alright.
    [Deleted User]
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    These Topics are reading like:

Caspian did something - It is Bad.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Wish there was an MMO like Mabi

but in the mean time this will definitely not do
  • DafAtRandomDafAtRandom Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Look at that poor guy wasting his time taking notes...whatever is being used right now will be scrapped soon to start anew and save time anyway...