Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old school games were clearly better

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
edited February 2020 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Let's see who reads past the title, as I'm not talking about MMORPGs, or even video games.

I mean the "true" old school board games which we older folks played by candlelight with actual people we knew in real life.  

I was a "gamer" back then too, spending every cent or asking "Santa" for nothing but board games year after year.

So many favorites back then, going to create a poll with some of my favorites but feel free to add any you personally enjoyed before video games changed the world. (Poll will appear shortly)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Old school board games were the best
  1. Which one was your favorite?42 votes
    1. Risk
        9.52%
    2. Stratego
        0.00%
    3. Axis and Allies
        9.52%
    4. Dungeons and Dragons
      40.48%
    5. Broadside
        0.00%
    6. Landslide
        0.00%
    7. Masterpiece
        0.00%
    8. Chess
        4.76%
    9. Green Ghost
        0.00%
    10. Mousetrap
        0.00%
    11. Chutes & Ladders (early predecessor to console games)
        0.00%
    12. What, people used to play board games
        7.14%
    13. Other, you missed so many better games in this list
      23.81%
    14. Feck it, just show the results already
        4.76%
[Deleted User]deniterAlBQuirky[Deleted User]sumdumguy1

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Warhammer Quest.. 

Still have all the pieces hand painted,  played that to exhaustion so many notes  enjoyed it more than D&D , just had better flow to it imo
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Monopoly!

That and I played a lot of chess.

immodiumVrikaMendelAmatheAgent_JosephConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2020
    My favorite board game as a kid was Parcheesi, played it almost every day.

I also played Chess and another one i forgot the name where the board forms a star shape with many holes and the pieces that go in the holes are little spheres.

EDIT: ah found the star shaped board game, it's called Sternhalma, but i knew it from the Japanese name Diamond game.
    MendelAmatheAlBQuirky

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    I thought people still played board games? Also, and maybe it's just me, but there are quite a few good modern board games as well.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]LynxJSA
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Why "were" ? They all still exist!
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    Risk, Stratego, Chutes & Ladders, Sorry, Monopoly, I can remember all those from my childhood with my parents/siblings. 

D&D was the one that took the cake for me as an obsession once I hit my teens, and continued into my adult life. I can't remember the last time I played any of the others. Probably in the 80s?
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Axis and Allies, so many hours playing that growing up. 
    GeekyLynxJSA

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Yeah, well.

Chess was great once, but the computer definitely killed that one.

Last I checked the best human was around ELO 2800 and the best computer program was around ELO 3500. That means the human will be obliterated three times over by the computer. Even a ELO difference of 100, as it was once between humans, namely between Bobby Fisher and Boris Spassky in 1972, was a completely hopeless difference for Spassky, who indeed lost this match without a chance.

Thats just completely demotivating.

[Deleted User]
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited February 2020
    Cluedo was a favorite of mine. I never played board games with friends, just family.

Oh, add Boggle, Trivial Pursuit and Scrabble.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    "You got trouble wait don't run this kinda trouble is lots of fun"

"That's popomatic trouble" ;)

Loved them all including Don't Break the Ice, Buckaroo, and Ants In the Pants just to name a few. :)
    KyleranAlBQuirky

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    While I was tempted to say Dungeons and Dragons, I never really got into the board game, while at the same time I was on the chess team all through high school, and still sit down with my friends to play when we get the chance.

So for me, I would say Chess, was an old school favorite of mine.
    katzklawKyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    As a child I played a few of these games, but as an adult I know there are FAR better board games out there.  I haven't played something like monopoly since I was like 12
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    You forgot some classics

Monopoly
    payday
    battleship
    Clue
    hungry hungry hippos
    Trouble
    checkers
    backgammon
    scrabble
    operation

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Love the D&D and Chutes and Ladders references. Reminds me of this quote from Big Bang Theory:

Howard Wolowitz : Really? On Dungeons and Dragons I enter a dungeon and find a dragon? Isn't that a little on the nose?

Sheldon Cooper : When you play Chutes and Ladders, do you complain about all the chutes and ladders?

KyleranAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    I played most of those games as a kid in the 50's and 60's. But I really loved the Avalon Hill games.

Jutland was fun, we had to play in the back yard to get the scale right. Took up most of the yard.
    gervaise1[Deleted User]

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Sovrath said:
    Monopoly!

That and I played a lot of chess.

I was going to say Monopoly but you beat me to it.
    Chamber of Chains
  • LaeyrumLaeyrum Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    My favorite board games were Mousetrap, Clue and D&D (yep the board game version). The board game version of D&D opened the door to Monster Manuals and all the wonderfulness of "Critical Fumbles" :cold_sweat:
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I don't play bored games.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]GorweAdamantine
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2020
    Pack of cards: one grandmother taught me Fish, Happy Families, Patience whilst one Grandfather taught me Cribbage, Gin Rummy and got me a set of dominoes. 

Monopoly, Risk, Cluedo, Mousetrap as mentioned. Also e,g, Railroader and I have fond memories of one called Exploration. Edit: And Sorry!

Later games e.g. Dungeon (yep TSR did a board game!), Cosmic Encounter. 

Slightly later Civilisation. The original version was prettier than the Avalon Hill version! But mentioning AH means Diplomacy has to get a mention. 

Which leads on to multiple S&T games. One a month with the magazine plus other purchases.

Absolute standouts for me though?

Kingmaker. 

Junta.

(Sorry folks its been another bad year for the budget, what you think I am stashing it all in my Swiss Bank account? And no I was not at the bank when you tried to assassinate me!)

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Dungeons and Dragons.

There are a couple of apps that allow you to play the D&D tabletop game (and other games) in a virtual world with your friends. I just don't have the time to sit around for several hours at a time and game like that anymore.

Kyleran
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Whilst I had a lot of fun with board games as a child, and I still play Chess, Risk and Monopoly on a fairly regular basis, I disagree that old board games were the best.

I've only recently started getting back into board games, but I get the impression that there has been somewhat of a renaissance in the last 5-10 years, especially with crowdfunding. There are an absolute ton of new games to suit a whole variety of playstyles.

My favourite modern board game is Zombicide. It's basically a computer game in board game format - you kill, you get xp, you level up, you loot weapons etc. Great fun, pretty easy to learn but still sometimes hard to complete. 2-10 players.

Also got a love for Citadels, though that is card game rather than an actual board. Pretty tactical and fun to play with people you know well (lots of psychology involved!)
    Also, shout outs for Traveller and Feudal.
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Monopoly!  Was there anything better than sitting at a table, casually dropping a couple of $10s on the floor and yelling "Money on the floor".  When everyone else dived under the table to scramble for that loose money, I'd casually raid the bank for a couple $50 or $100s to replace the dropped cash.  That worked way, way longer than it should have.

In college, Risk, Spades, and Bridge were the games of choice in the dorm.  Of course, there were ways to gamble on these.

In the gaming groups, there were a variety of miniatures rules we used, plus any number of SPI/AH board games, plus other publishers.  We played lots of Reach for the Stars, and lots of odd other games.  When SPI started to produce their monster games, we did those, particularly Terrible Swift Sword and War in Europe.  We were even allowed to set up a game in the Air Force ROTC building for a quarter at a time.

Our collective group "discovered" D&D in December, 1975.  Role-playing took over the good bit of the majority of the group's time, with D&D, Swords & Sorcery, Tunnels and Trolls, and RuneQuest (Chaosium) and Empires of the Petal Throne campaigns (the last run by a entomology grad student) being worked into the group rotation for the next few years.

In my senior year (78-79), most of the AF ROTC types had graduated, and most of us moved to the group in the History department.  This group liked Diplomacy and other board games, and due to the larger number of high school students there, D&D was a staple. 

KyleranAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

My favorite board game as a kid was Parcheesi, played it almost every day.

As it happens, life is Parcheesi. Do you use your rolls to advance all 4 tokens a little at a time? Or send one token first all the way around? That decision is one I make every hour of my workday. Make a little progress on 4 projects, or on one substantially. 
    KyleranbcbullyrojoArcueidAlBQuirky

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Avalon Hill's Panzer Blitz and its early '80s computer offspring, Kampfgruppe. I was a war gamer first and the very first computer game I ever got for the Atari 8-bit was Chris Crawford's Eastern Front.
    KyleranlaseritMendel[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED