Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reason for the massive delays?

2»

Comments

• goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    The honest answer as to why the game is not out yet..Caspian literally said himself...this is a learning process for him, every idea they had to make this game has proven to be unsuccessful. VoxElyria, SpatialOS, NodeJS, there is a very extensive list of things they have tried and they can't achieve the scalability they want. Currently they have nothing, Caspian said a few days ago they are doing R&D and experimenting with languages. There is no game yet and when the funds dry up you are likely to see a vast change in vision.
    Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited February 2020
    The honest answer as to why the game is not out yet..Caspian literally said himself...this is a learning process for him, every idea they had to make this game has proven to be unsuccessful. VoxElyria, SpatialOS, NodeJS, there is a very extensive list of things they have tried and they can't achieve the scalability they want. Currently they have nothing, Caspian said a few days ago they are doing R&D and experimenting with languages. There is no game yet and when the funds dry up you are likely to see a vast change in vision.
    Perhaps the reason he can't achieve the scalability he wants is...its just not technically possible? 

Either this, or he just doesn't have the talent (and funding) on his team to bring it all about.

Mendel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Kyleran said:
    Perhaps the reason he can't achieve the scalability he wants is...its just not technically possible? 

Either this, or he just doesn't have the talent (and funding) on his team to bring it all about.

Aren’t these some of the same issues that SpatialOS has struggled with?  Their funding and expertise is orders of magnitude higher than SBS.  Can 3 guys reading up on solutions on the internet really solve what Improbable has struggled with?
    MendelGdemamiKyleranAnOldFart

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:

It might also be possible that someone isn't willing to accept that he and his team can't solve problems that have stymied others.  Pride goes before a fall.

KyleranCopperfieldAmathe

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Mendel said:
    Kyleran said:

It might also be possible that someone isn't willing to accept that he and his team can't solve problems that have stymied others.  Pride goes before a fall.

SBS has said time and again how making DSS/the maps was first in gaming ever. While no idea if anyone has even made a map like theirs before. Why they think it's a good idea to make 4 of them. 

Off that, I doubt he would ever admit that he can't do something. His pride is all consuming. That is proved that nothing is ever his fault and he always blames his team. Not once, from my knowledge, has he ever taken responsibility. All he ever says is "you deserve better". Yet he doesn't act any better. He is like the girlfriend that keeps cheating on you, while keeps saying "I promise I will change". Nope time to drop his lying ass.
    Gdemami
    Torrsk said:
    Mendel said:
    Kyleran said:

SBS has said time and again how making DSS/the maps was first in gaming ever. While no idea if anyone has even made a map like theirs before. Why they think it's a good idea to make 4 of them. 

Off that, I doubt he would ever admit that he can't do something. His pride is all consuming. That is proved that nothing is ever his fault and he always blames his team. Not once, from my knowledge, has he ever taken responsibility. All he ever says is "you deserve better". Yet he doesn't act any better. He is like the girlfriend that keeps cheating on you, while keeps saying "I promise I will change". Nope time to drop his lying ass.
    Well said, i agree 100% with that, and i've been a part of the CoE community for many years. What I can't understand is how an individual can go to bed, knowing you said one thing and then abandoned it. One example: Caspian said multiple times that the state of Elyria will be in December...a couple months pass and here we are...with a snap of the fingers he changes it to "now we will release it after settlers is back online"
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Torrsk said:
    Mendel said:
    Kyleran said:

Well said, i agree 100% with that, and i've been a part of the CoE community for many years. What I can't understand is how an individual can go to bed, knowing you said one thing and then abandoned it. One example: Caspian said multiple times that the state of Elyria will be in December...a couple months pass and here we are...with a snap of the fingers he changes it to "now we will release it after settlers is back online"
    And true to form they've gone totally dark on the status of SOE.

Maybe they are porting it to Rust or something.
    Slapshot1188AnOldFart

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said:
    Mendel said:
    Kyleran said:

Explain to me how a web based event is holding up a document which will summerize the entirety of the project.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I want to help you people out moving forward.
    Stop wasting your time discussing this pile of code.Just look elsewhere and if some day this team has a finished product then we can decipher it's worth...value.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said:
    Mendel said:
    Kyleran said:

Explain to me how a web based event is holding up a document which will summerize the entirety of the project.

Well I think he started to write it and give us an update on the 0.5 version which I think was due like a year ago, but then he realized it was constantly outdated because by the time it was finished they had moved onto researching something else...

In all seriousness though...  what could he write?  Something like  "All the stuff I said would happen last year pretty much didn't happen, just like the year before...  We uhh... launched some sales, screwed up some other sales, found out that our whole backend has to be scrapped... But on the plus side I am writing a Mission Statement based on the Leadership By Numbers book I got for Christmas?  Oh yeah, also on the plus side while I was playing League of Legends instead of running my company I found this really neat song called RISE and it's going to motivate me to be better this year!"?

[Deleted User]Kyleran

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said:
    Mendel said:
    Kyleran said:

Well I think he started to write it and give us an update on the 0.5 version which I think was due like a year ago, but then he realized it was constantly outdated because by the time it was finished they had moved onto researching something else...

In all seriousness though...  what could he write?  Something like  "All the stuff I said would happen last year pretty much didn't happen, just like the year before...  We uhh... launched some sales, screwed up some other sales, found out that our whole backend has to be scrapped... But on the plus side I am writing a Mission Statement based on the Leadership By Numbers book I got for Christmas?  Oh yeah, also on the plus side while I was playing League of Legends instead of running my company I found this really neat song called RISE and it's going to motivate me to be better this year!"?

Nothing is too complex for Caspian, as he stated this several days ago in discord. 

Caspian ☁Last Saturday at 1:52 PM

I'd be interested in hearing what people think is too complex for CoE. But alas, I'm finished with my breakfast. Got things to take care of! Doing a good deal more research this weekend. Maybe taking a couple breaks as well.
    Slapshot1188

Nothing is too complex for Caspian, as he stated this several days ago in discord. 

Caspian ☁Last Saturday at 1:52 PM

I'd be interested in hearing what people think is too complex for CoE. But alas, I'm finished with my breakfast. Got things to take care of! Doing a good deal more research this weekend. Maybe taking a couple breaks as well.
    OK...

I got nothin...
    That is simply amazing.  Each sentence is a Masterpiece.  

The Office: SbS Edition

• DeveronDeveron Member UncommonPosts: 60
    It‘s reminding me more of
    https://youtu.be/ohDB5gbtaEQ
    than the office, at least from a customer‘s point of view. 
    Mendel[Deleted User]
  • DiscordsOfElyriaDiscordsOfElyria Newbie CommonPosts: 8
    D E L U S I O N A L
    No, we are in pre-alpha right now. There is no release date for neither beta nor alpha. Given the track record of the studio, they can't help but being over optimistic on release dates... so I think it is the right move not to make their own estimate public.
  • BladeburaibaBladeburaiba Member UncommonPosts: 132
    At what point does GW Bush's "Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice......well you can't get fooled again!" apply?

Can we even honestly be mad at the developer for taking the money?  At this point, the ones giving the money and support are the criminals.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This thread ought to be stickied, as it will be relevant for a long time to come.
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests