Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wolcen

GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,493
edited February 9 in General Gaming
How is it? Given that its release date is imminent and that I love aRPGs(more Soulsbornes, but meh, both are awesome variants ; off topic: it's almost Nioh anniversary ; time for a replay I think! <3), I wanted to check on it. And whether I should buy it before its price goes up.

Comments

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,845
    Gorwe said:
    How is it? Given that its release date is imminent and that I love aRPGs(more Soulsbornes, but meh, both are awesome variants ; off topic: it's almost Nioh anniversary ; time for a replay I think! <3), I wanted to check on it. And whether I should buy it before its price goes up.
    If you're an ARPG fan just watch a few videos and you'll know pretty quickly if you want to buy it. Between Pagan Online, Wolcen, and Last Epoch it felt the most polished. Think Last Epoch is my favorite of the three though.
    Gorwe
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 7,262
    I backed Wolcen 3 years ago , have promoted it here thruout the testing(back to when its name was Umbra), have even given away 3 copies here in a promotion ..

That being said as i predicted before , Wolcen will take its place among D3 , POE and Grim Dawn as one of the best in the genre imo ..

A unique approach that combines the fluid combat of D3..

Nice skill and build system with a passive tree with an interesting Spin on it like POE

and great atmosphere and story telling like Grim Dawn

Wolcen really hits a sweet spot combining all those elements and more ..

Definitley worth a purchase for any ARPG fan ..

GorweultimateduckIlayaTruvidienn
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,432
    Wolcen is a great addition to the genre, I have had alot of fun and am looking forward to launch

I also am looking forward to Last Epoch, those two titles have staying power to me

The ARPG world is in a really good place right now, and each title makes me want to play more, I even just got the Titan's Quest latest expansion (which is decent but not as good as the rest)

Gorwe
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,493
    Scorchien said:
    I backed Wolcen 3 years ago , have promoted it here thruout the testing(back to when its name was Umbra), have even given away 3 copies here in a promotion ..

That being said as i predicted before , Wolcen will take its place among D3 , POE and Grim Dawn as one of the best in the genre imo ..

A unique approach that combines the fluid combat of D3..

Nice skill and build system with a passive tree with an interesting Spin on it like POE

and great atmosphere and story telling like Grim Dawn

Wolcen really hits a sweet spot combining all those elements and more ..

Definitley worth a purchase for any ARPG fan ..

Yeah, I remember you giving it away. Regardless, how finished is it?
  • AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 309
    Don't get to much high hopes , it does have a cashshop afterall ... and boy oh boy do we love cashshops! right?! 
    Gorwe
  • Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Don't get to much high hopes , it does have a cashshop afterall ... and boy oh boy do we love cashshops! right?! 
    not to say it wont, but where you get this from its not on the steam page and theres no sign of it in the beta 
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,845
    PoE has a cash shop and somehow continues to churn out content multiple times a year. Diablo 3 doesn't have a cash shop and has done 2 actual game updates(that also cost money) in a decade.

I'll take cash shop and content over box price and maintenance mode.
    Aeander
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    edited February 9
    Gorwe said:
    I backed it in Kickstarter, played some Alpha and it was terrible. I'd expect there to be some issues but the whole feeling of the game was terrible. I logged back in a year or so later and there was a noticeable improvement. Still didn't feel anywhere near as good as D3, and at that point was still a regret purchase.

I logged in around November or December last year I think it was and it felt and looked really good. I didn't want to go too far in since I figured they'd wipe progress, but definitely worth checking out for 20 or 30 dollars. I don't know I would spend 60$ on it even at its best, but that is just me.
    Thanks all. Now only to know more about customization, story etc. Most importantly, does it have Transmog / Illusion system?
    Gorwe said:
    Thanks all. Now only to know more about customization, story etc. Most importantly, does it have Transmog / Illusion system?

Gorwe said:

yes , you can read about it in the latest Dev log.. Fashion,Skills and Endgame...

Gorwe
  • AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 309
    not to say it wont, but where you get this from its not on the steam page and theres no sign of it in the beta 

"EULA concerns

Some of you expressed concerns about microtransaction mentioned in our EULA: First, let’s be clear, there will be no pay-to-win at all in the game.

We are going to provide free DLC and content after the release, we need a way to fund this, cosmetic microtransactions allow us to generate revenue on top of the base game price. The studio employ 40 people and we need a strong business model to ensure that we can maintain the game long term.

In the shop, you will find things like new haircuts, faces or cool character effects, but no pay-to-win related elements."

i bought this game years ago and yes there was no hint that it will have a ingame shop , would i have bought it if i knew ? most likely not.
    I am not saying the game is bad , the music alone is worth the money from my pov because it's amazing! (assuming you bought it from one of the hundreds of deals they already had on the game during it's alpha/beta) but they should point it out that there will be a cashshop.
  • k61977k61977 Member RarePosts: 1,288
    I was really wondering if this game was ever going to be done.  The scrapped the entire game more than once an basically went back to the drawing board.  They did change some things that I don't really like.  They removed the ability to make whatever you wanted, an gave it a more these are the things you can do.  The game they have now is not the game the original backers, backed to be made, but it is what it is.  It isn't a bad game though, but it has actually locked my system down sometimes when I try to launch it.  First game I have had do that in many, many years.  Still has optimization issues.
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 268

"EULA concerns

Some of you expressed concerns about microtransaction mentioned in our EULA: First, let’s be clear, there will be no pay-to-win at all in the game.

We are going to provide free DLC and content after the release, we need a way to fund this, cosmetic microtransactions allow us to generate revenue on top of the base game price. The studio employ 40 people and we need a strong business model to ensure that we can maintain the game long term.

In the shop, you will find things like new haircuts, faces or cool character effects, but no pay-to-win related elements."

i bought this game years ago and yes there was no hint that it will have a ingame shop , would i have bought it if i knew ? most likely not.
    I am not saying the game is bad , the music alone is worth the money from my pov because it's amazing! (assuming you bought it from one of the hundreds of deals they already had on the game during it's alpha/beta) but they should point it out that there will be a cashshop.
    and you posted the company line about cosmetics only. Why is the cash shop a problem if there's no pay to win? From my point of view there are not enough good arpg's to pass on this one on "principle"
    Scorchien
    cmacq said:

"EULA concerns

and you posted the company line about cosmetics only. Why is the cash shop a problem if there's no pay to win? From my point of view there are not enough good arpg's to pass on this one on "principle"

Even over 3 years ago when the game was called Umbra , they said , There game would Never have any P2W , but it would have a cosmetic shop , They have stuck to there word so far , they need to make money to continue there development which has been great .. I dont see a problem with cosmetics ..
    k61977 said:
    I was really wondering if this game was ever going to be done.  The scrapped the entire game more than once an basically went back to the drawing board.  They did change some things that I don't really like.  They removed the ability to make whatever you wanted, an gave it a more these are the things you can do.  The game they have now is not the game the original backers, backed to be made, but it is what it is.  It isn't a bad game though, but it has actually locked my system down sometimes when I try to launch it.  First game I have had do that in many, many years.  Still has optimization issues.
    Yeah, this was exactly why I was suspicious about it. Glad to hear it hit the sail winds(so to speak...it could've hit dire straits just as easily!).
  • CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94
    I been following this game a bit, but wasn't sure i would like it, but now will get it once i get paid. I tried Pagan online, and just didn't like it and though I love PoE.. i can't ever dedicate myself enough to play it. So besides Grim Dawn looks like this one is the best option for me. Some of the features look amazing, honestly. 

Hopeful for Torchlight 3 too. :)
    What a beautiful game this is! Shame to hear that a lot of unique things were cut, but that was more Umbra than Wolcen. I also don't like that they cut down the amount of passive points / level(should've handled it differently). Besides that, it's...really, but really good.

It, again, reminded me how good a PROPER Warhammer Fantasy RPG could be. /meh
  • GravendGravend Member UncommonPosts: 58
    aye it's amazing thus far. I'm only just starting act 3 due to server issues but it's my favorite character customization system of any of the current arpgs.