Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now they even plan to sell NPCs? Are there no ends to this?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited October 2019
    YashaX said:
    Wouldn't it be better if the npcs were attracted to towns/areas in an organic way, drawn by the prospect of safety/work/commerce? 
    They are.  As I understand it, npcs are initially seeded into the world according to the algorithms built by SBS.

There are many races wwhich they can be, each with special advantages which can make them better at a crazy long list of professions in the areas of farming, crafting, governing or defense.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/32708/dss-professions-what-are-they-even

NPCs won't be drawn to or stay around if there isn't a solid infrastructure to support them which has often been discussed by the backers especially with regards to maintaining large cities. 

Of course, these are all theoretical conversations as no evidence has been shown to date any sort of complex mechanic such as this actually exists, most of it coming from years old and often out of date dev design journels from years ago.

AnOldFart

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:
    YashaX said:
    Wouldn't it be better if the npcs were attracted to towns/areas in an organic way, drawn by the prospect of safety/work/commerce? 
    They are.  As I understand it, npcs are initially seeded into the world according to the algorithms built by SBS.

There are many races wwhich they can be, each with special advantages which can make them better at a crazy long list of professions in the areas of farming, crafting, governing or defense.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/32708/dss-professions-what-are-they-even

NPCs won't be drawn to or stay around if there isn't a solid infrastructure to support them which has often been discussed by the backers especially with regards to maintaining large cities. 

Of course, these are all theoretical conversations as no evidence has been shown to date any sort of complex mechanic such as this actually exists, most of it coming from years old and often out of date dev design journels from years ago.

I can imagine the pseudo code.

CreateNewNPC ()
           ( NPC := BuildImage ();
             NPC.AssignName ();
             Destination = WhoLikesMe (NPC);
             NPC.Moveto (Destination);
             NPC.Halt;
             NPC.CatchFire;
           );

Note the lack of error trapping pseudo code.  Who really thinks whatever SBS creates will have fully functional error handling routines?

KyleranGdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    lmao this game.
    [Deleted User]
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Wonder if they are selling NPCs to monitor the web sales and buy stuff for the players.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I can't recall ever seeing an article about this game, where they explain how you do "x" in game for "y" reward. It always seems to be "here is another thing you can buy with real money." I am starting to think buying stuff is the game.
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Reading stuff like this makes me appreciate how fast the Devs were able to churn out Everquest back in the day, while being trailblazers.

What a mess the process is now...

Maybe I should buy EQ's new expansion just to show them some love.

Gut Out!
    Gdemami

What, me worry?

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I guess next in store is selling hardware space in the "server farm" of CoE, then actual space in the offices...
  • DeveronDeveron Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Well, I actually always was an advocate for more monetization of in-game items, services and scripts, as long as they wouldn’t just magically pop into existence, but would have to obey the worlds rules and limitations (as in time to build and available resources) and be created like anything “handcrafted” as well, just automatically. 

Think they already would have had an investor by now, if they explored MTs as boldly as their design ideas. Doing that right (no chance items, no unrealistic scam price tags, tied to world mechanics) would create content for all, instead of instant gratification and power boosts to the purchaser only. 

OTOH their current track record does show that throwing money at them doesn’t quite solve the problems. But that outside voice might be helping more than they fear it would interfere. 

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane,

In proving foresight may be vain; 

The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,

Gang aft agley,

An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,

For promis'd joy!

I’m certain there was and is a plan. I’m uncertain wether it changed. I’m certain, in that case however, it didn’t for the better.

Deveron said:

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane,

In proving foresight may be vain; 

The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,

Gang aft agley,

An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,

For promis'd joy!

I’m certain there was and is a plan. I’m uncertain wether it changed. I’m certain, in that case however, it didn’t for the better.

There may not have been a plan but we know there was a Gantt chart that showed they could launch the whole game in 2017...

He should auction that off.  I’d bid...
    Deveron

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    So you buy NPCs now in a game where your character ages and dies in a short time like they're stuck in a timewarp.  

How long until the NPCs die off? 

Can a griefer come along and kill the NPCs?

Will the NPCs stay there and do their job, or will they wander off or have ambitions for a different career, or none at all?

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 374
    NPCs definitely is a boring way to go about it but it is necessary with how they are doing things.  I made the joke in another thread of somewhere along the lines of "If everyone is a king or a nobleman, then whos going to be the serf working the land?"  Well, we just got our answer in the form of this 'latest,' feature they're selling.  Nobody is going to work the different kingdoms, because the only players with an interest in the game are the ones who are buying the different crowns.

To all you kings and dukes, good luck finding a player to boss around.  Everyone wants to be nobility, so you're 100% not going to have underlings who are sentient.
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    WBadger said:

To all you kings and dukes, good luck finding a player to boss around.  Everyone wants to be nobility, so you're 100% not going to have underlings who are sentient.
    Lucky to buy said duke/kings cost so much not everyone could even become one. Even with this upcoming sale. A new person needs to back first at bloodline which is $135. Then if they wait until the highest sale. Around $30-40 bucks. How many people out there, really want to spend at least $165 just to become mayor? For count it's then at least 300 bucks. 

People bitch and complain about a full game costing 60 bucks these days. If you really think everyone going to spend several hundred on a game that is close to a scam, yeah doubtful. 

If anything, why even buy a title in the first place. Just start on the bottom and remove everyone higher than you. Way more fun.
    Well, there’s folks willing to pay 20 bucks and up extra just for moving the projected placements of their maybe soon or never to be delivered settlements, so from a monetization point of view SbS has been rather less exploitive and it’s really the fans just throwing money at them. 

Many are dropping county or duchy sized amounts on small villages or even no domains at all. I know, I once was one of the many.

So I don’t think that’s really the problem here. Just take a look at mobile game scams, where people drop tens of thousands per month. Doesn’t stop the normal addicts to drop their 20/50/100 each month either, clearly knowing they’ll stay fodder for the whales.

I just think MT could be fair, if we were able to discuss that topic with less angst and hate. And that an honest approach would be needed, rather than tiptoeing with calendars around it, which just had to backfire.

But instead of tackling that problem, as usual, they just let their pet troll derail the thread to punish the skeptics afterwards. 
    Gdemami
  • MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188
    edited February 2020
    Caspian ☁08/02/2019
    @Duke Athorias Paleblood֎ You are correct. There is a plan to have NPCs in the EP store for mayors to customize their settlement's population.

Guess they figure the game will be mostly empty and devoid of players so they may as well cash in and sell NPCs to the settlement owners to stock their towns.  The Mayors may not have actual players to boss around but they can at least buy more NPCs to rule over...

Man, this game just gets crazier and crazier...

Slapshot, iirc you have continually attacked this game since the day it was announced so what you say holds no water with me. I believe the intent behind the selling of NPC's is to allow individuals to build the type of town they want. If they want a ton of blacksmith, they can do that, if they want to pre-load their town with different merchants, they can do that. This isn't an effort to fix a low population as we don't know what the population will be at launch. This is an attempt to allow individuals who hold property to set their town up the way they want.

Also, keep in mind that the EP store is something that will only exist during exposition. Exposition is the period where the backers are able to play the game and start to use the pre-game currency they acquired through purchases to build their lands out. This would include placing certain buildings, creating walls or trade route roads, etc, etc, etc.

If you don't like that they are doing stfu, stop with all the hatred/venom towards this game and move the frick on. Your multi-year assault on this game and their development staff has grown tiresome.
    Kyleran
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    MrTuggles said:
    Caspian ☁08/02/2019
    @Duke Athorias Paleblood֎ You are correct. There is a plan to have NPCs in the EP store for mayors to customize their settlement's population.

Guess they figure the game will be mostly empty and devoid of players so they may as well cash in and sell NPCs to the settlement owners to stock their towns.  The Mayors may not have actual players to boss around but they can at least buy more NPCs to rule over...

Slapshot, iirc you have continually attacked this game since the day it was announced so what you say holds no water with me. I believe the intent behind the selling of NPC's is to allow individuals to build the type of town they want. If they want a ton of blacksmith, they can do that, if they want to pre-load their town with different merchants, they can do that. This isn't an effort to fix a low population as we don't know what the population will be at launch. This is an attempt to allow individuals who hold property to set their town up the way they want.

Also, keep in mind that the EP store is something that will only exist during exposition. Exposition is the period where the backers are able to play the game and start to use the pre-game currency they acquired through purchases to build their lands out. This would include placing certain buildings, creating walls or trade route roads, etc, etc, etc.

If you don't like that they are doing stfu, stop with all the hatred/venom towards this game and move the frick on. Your multi-year assault on this game and their development staff has grown tiresome.
    Can these NPCs be obtained through some in-game means?

When does exposition end?
    MrTuggles said:
    Caspian ☁08/02/2019

I suppose that depends on your definition of attack.  I would like to point out that my batting record on points I disagreed with is about .950

Please see this thread https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/487043/reason-for-the-massive-delays#latest if you'd like to discuss the current fiasco.

And if that fails to sway you, feel free to hit the ignore button and never, ever read another word I type.  :)

GdemamiKyleran

Arkade99 said:
    MrTuggles said:
    Caspian ☁08/02/2019

Can these NPCs be obtained through some in-game means?

When does exposition end?
    Exposition is supposed to be a roughly 3 month, no-wipe headstart for high donors.  NPCs will automatically be in game, but this allows you to spend cash to upgrade them.   At least in theory.  As with everything else this is all just cash-shop/forum talk currently and nothing in game.

• ShelvinarrShelvinarr Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Quick! Everyone! Bust out your wallets! You can buy Tier 10 NPCs, grandmaster crafters, grandmaster quest givers, grandmaster tavern wenches! Isn't it amazing?! Spend your money! Upgrade those NPCS. Who wants a game where NPCs are included as part of the base design of the game? Not I. I want to:

pay for the game
    pay a subscription 
    pay for a plot of land 
    pay to be "someone" in this virtual world 
    pay for more storage space
    pay for each shrub and tree on the plot of the land I have 
    pay for a building design
    pay for the materials to build said building
    pay for upgraded NPCs
    pay for icons
    pay for hotbars
    pay for skills
    pay for passives
    pay for attributes  

Everything that was included in games of the past for free, I want to pay for now, piece by piece!
    Quick! Everyone! Bust out your wallets! You can buy Tier 10 NPCs, grandmaster crafters, grandmaster quest givers, grandmaster tavern wenches! Isn't it amazing?! Spend your money! Upgrade those NPCS. Who wants a game where NPCs are included as part of the base design of the game? Not I. I want to:

pay for the game
    pay a subscription 
    pay for a plot of land 
    pay for upgraded NPCs
    pay for icons
    pay for hotbars
    pay for skills
    pay for passives
    pay for attributes  

Everything that was included in games of the past for free, I want to pay for now, piece by piece!
    How about if those items came in at very low price? Like real MICRO-transaction low and starting at just a few cents each. 

How about if you could create said items yourself and be allowed to sell them on a marketplace?

What if any in-game item bought in the in-game shop still had to enter the game naturally? So the resources would still need be to collected, the item still need to be build and delivered to the place where it’s wanted, either by NPC or PC via contract. Interruptible PC action.

Remember, prices would be low. You’d not be losing that much if it fails, but could gain something automatically over time, all the while creating content for others. 

Even big spending isn’t out of the question. A castle with a bigger price tag for instance. As an individual, you probably won’t want to take the risk. As a well-organized group, you might be up for the task to defend it’s creation on every step and maybe even hold it long enough to call it home. Other guilds may try to prevent that of happening. 

Again, content for all. Maybe they’d even chip in a bit, if that means entertainment for a longer period of time.
    And the beauty of it, you could use the same system and just pay by in-game means, too. Tie it to participation and/or successes in game, so the scope of items available adjusts to the character in question.

Sure, there’s many pitfalls, but I still believe it’s worth exploring and discussing at least, how a different monetization approach could be beneficial to all and less exploitive towards the player base and still incentivizing investors to fund world sims. 
    Gdemami
    Deveron said:

pay for the game
    pay a subscription 
    pay for a plot of land 
    pay for upgraded NPCs
    pay for icons
    pay for hotbars
    pay for skills
    pay for passives
    pay for attributes  

How about if those items came in at very low price? Like real MICRO-transaction low and starting at just a few cents each. 

How about if you could create said items yourself and be allowed to sell them on a marketplace?

What if any in-game item bought in the in-game shop still had to enter the game naturally? So the resources would still need be to collected, the item still need to be build and delivered to the place where it’s wanted, either by NPC or PC via contract. Interruptible PC action.

Remember, prices would be low. You’d not be losing that much if it fails, but could gain something automatically over time, all the while creating content for others. 

Even big spending isn’t out of the question. A castle with a bigger price tag for instance. As an individual, you probably won’t want to take the risk. As a well-organized group, you might be up for the task to defend it’s creation on every step and maybe even hold it long enough to call it home. Other guilds may try to prevent that of happening. 

Again, content for all. Maybe they’d even chip in a bit, if that means entertainment for a longer period of time.
    And the beauty of it, you could use the same system and just pay by in-game means, too. Tie it to participation and/or successes in game, so the scope of items available adjusts to the character in question.

Sure, there’s many pitfalls, but I still believe it’s worth exploring and discussing at least, how a different monetization approach could be beneficial to all and less exploitive towards the player base and still incentivizing investors to fund world sims. 
    I, along with others, have consistently said that they should just embrace the P2W path and go for it.  What they have done is try to go part way by saying they will sell all this stuff but once it launches they will close the shop.  That is the WORST kind of P2W as it locks the advantages to the richest people that started before the game launched.  They have a core that loves buying stuff in the cash-shop.  They should give these people what they want.

In my dream world they would also launch a "clean" server with no pre-bought advantages but that would probably be where all the sheep went so it won't happen.
    GdemamiDeveronKyleran

• F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Deveron said:

pay for the game
    pay a subscription 
    pay for a plot of land 
    pay for upgraded NPCs
    pay for icons
    pay for hotbars
    pay for skills
    pay for passives
    pay for attributes  

I, along with others, have consistently said that they should just embrace the P2W path and go for it.  What they have done is try to go part way by saying they will sell all this stuff but once it launches they will close the shop.  That is the WORST kind of P2W as it locks the advantages to the richest people that started before the game launched.  They have a core that loves buying stuff in the cash-shop.  They should give these people what they want.

In my dream world they would also launch a "clean" server with no pre-bought advantages but that would probably be where all the sheep went so it won't happen.
    By Sheep, you mean the people who don't want to spend thousands on a bad game? orrrrr?
    F2Plague said:
    Deveron said:

pay for the game
    pay a subscription 
    pay for a plot of land 
    pay for upgraded NPCs
    pay for icons
    pay for hotbars
    pay for skills
    pay for passives
    pay for attributes  

By Sheep, you mean the people who don't want to spend thousands on a bad game? orrrrr?
    Yes.  I mean it tongue in cheek.   People have literally spent tens of thousands of dollars on advantages for this in-development game.  They need people to lord over.  
    GdemamiF2Plague

• F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    F2Plague said:
    Deveron said:

pay for the game
    pay a subscription 
    pay for a plot of land 
    pay for upgraded NPCs
    pay for icons
    pay for hotbars
    pay for skills
    pay for passives
    pay for attributes  

Yes.  I mean it tongue in cheek.   People have literally spent tens of thousands of dollars on advantages for this in-development game.  They need people to lord over.  
    Probably not gonna happen. The vast majority of Kick Starter games are like this, doling out in game assets to raise funds for a game that will be dead on delivery anyways. This is not a long term business model, its a cash grab at its finest. No one wants to pay box price to play as some whales peasant. Hell I wouldn't play that game for free.

I could probably name half a dozen more Kick Starter games coming down the pipes right now with similar pay to win crowd funding. By the time these games release, a small group of backers will own the world, while new players will fight for scraps. See how long that lasts.

Cant really even comprehend how its fun for someone to just buy everything they can get their hands on for an advantage. Where is the sport? Better yet, where is the game? 

I am probably preaching to the choir, so I will cut my rant short. Should be interesting to see how long these games last at the very least. Don't forget to bring marshmallows for that dumpster fire.
    Gdemami
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    F2Plague said:
    Deveron said:

pay for the game
    pay a subscription 
    pay for a plot of land 
    pay for upgraded NPCs
    pay for icons
    pay for hotbars
    pay for skills
    pay for passives
    pay for attributes  

I thought that was the purpose of buying in-game NPCs, to have someone for the Kings and Lords to lord over.

If there ever was a setup like you proposed, then the worst possible news coming from SBS would be rumors of a "server merge".  At least that would be several magnitudes less horrific than their current announcements.

F2Plague

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.