Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained Roadmap, Siege Gameplay Revealed in Stream - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageCamelot Unchained Roadmap, Siege Gameplay Revealed in Stream - MMORPG.com

Remember that live stream from Camelot Unchained's Mark Jacobs in which he was going to show off siege? Well, it happened, and here's a recap.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    18 months?
    [Deleted User]PuReDusTKumaponDryxaline[Deleted User]NonemaneKylerangastovski1tweedledumb99

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    This is just another engine pitch stream lol "What you just saw was a demo of a siege showing the TECH" "the purpose was showing what OUR ENGINE can do"

How can anyone by this point even believe the Ragnarok smokescreen.
    Greatness[Deleted User]GdemamiNonemane[Deleted User]SailorMomgastovski1tweedledumb99pokrak
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    So we're looking at beta in 2023?
    ThupliValentinaAxxarNonemane[Deleted User]Kylerangastovski1

• Rich84Rich84 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    so a siege tech demo is the best they have to show after 7yrs of dev?
    MikehaLeFantomeThupliKumaponDryxalineAxxarPanzerbeorne39XarkoFolmenNonemaneand 6 others.
  • HeyMarceHeyMarce Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Another Star Citizen
    InnitbruvThupliGroqstrongAxxarAgent_JosephXarkoFolmenNonemaneLife2vKyleranand 4 others.
  • strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284

Rich84 said:

So I wonder, what game engines have you produced that makes you the authority. I mean i have no dog in this since I think MMO PvP is a waste of time but please enlighten us.
    ThupliAxxarFolmen[Deleted User]SailorMomInnitbruvGatsuZerkRich84pwnasaurusIsilithTehrothand 4 others.
  • Rich84Rich84 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    strykr619 said:

Rich84 said:

So I wonder, what game engines have you produced that makes you the authority. I mean i have no dog in this since I think MMO PvP is a waste of time but please enlighten us.

did people back an engine or a game? (I'm not a backer). 

after the recent announcement people especially backers want to see that the game they backed is not vaporware id imagine.
    MikehaimmoralthangThupliLackingMMOValentinaDryxalineTuor7GdemamiFearumFolmenand 6 others.
  • EightBitNinjaEightBitNinja Member UncommonPosts: 34

Rich84 said:

strykr619 said:

Rich84 said:

after the recent announcement people especially backers want to see that the game they backed is not vaporware id imagine.

Well, you kinda need an engine to make a game. They stated early in development that they tried multiple premade engines, but none of them could do what they wanted and remain stable. So they had no choice but to make one from scratch.
    ThupliFearumMikehaFolmenpwnasaurusjimmywolftweedledumb99
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

Rich84 said:

strykr619 said:

Rich84 said:

Well, you kinda need an engine to make a game. They stated early in development that they tried multiple premade engines, but none of them could do what they wanted and remain stable. So they had no choice but to make one from scratch.

and 7 years later ..not much progress.
    ThupliRich84GdemamiFearumAxxarFolmenNonemaneLife2v[Deleted User]SailorMomand 4 others.

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815

HeyMarce said:

Another Star Citizen

Haha, SC is so far beyond this can't believe you just said that.
    [Deleted User]Tuor7FearumMikehaPuReDusTKyleranGatsuZerkjimmywolfThuplitweedledumb99
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Well its "a start".

There has been some direct communication, discussing "game elements" rather than the "this week Fred did a belt buckle". (The hard bit is finding something different to talk about once a month say but there are several obvious topics to start with.)

And there is a schedule - albeit only a 90 days to do list. They now need to cross things off as they finish them and add new ones going forward. Its not necessary for them to finish everything on the list; what is essential is that they show "progress".

At the end of the day it the only people who might be "bothered" that CU has been going on - almost but not yet - 7 years are backers who have been with the game for however many years. For others its all about: what does it look like now and does there track record suggest that if "I" decide to back the game they will deliver in a time frame that "I" can live with.

And as it stands they don't have a track record. Why the "to do" list that hopefully becomes something more is a key element.

Always assuming that people "like" what they are making. 

To that end maybe they start "packaging" what they are offering. Do a "promotional booklet" for want of a better term for each of the character classes for example. Its what TV and films do; car showrooms, toasters and coffee makers as well. Yes they can have hundreds of siege weapons launching stuff but .... so what if it doesn't "look good". And that is a divide, I think, that needs to be bridged.

So a new start - maybe. If CU can survive the meltdown of last week it will probably be stronger for it. For so CU has been annonymous.

• AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375
    How can anyone trust this scummy person ... amazing!
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Mark, your sincere apology and credible video of the all important siege PvP made me a supporter today. I loved DAOC and I can see Camelot Unchained will be it's excellent successor!
    FearumXarkoAlexanderVendiSailorMomKyleranGatsuZerkIsilithTehrothstrawhat0981ZenerenThupliand 2 others.
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    The running animation still the same. Look like he shit himself....
    AxxarLeFantome[Deleted User]SailorMom

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Dunno...just sounds more and more like the games are turning into advertising for them to sell their game engine.

Guess we have to wait (more) and see.  But i would not be surprised to hear of them earning financing by engine sells/lease soon.
  • AxxarAxxar Member UncommonPosts: 104

strykr619 said:

Rich84 said:

Wasn’t the original release date 2015?
    Kyleranitchmonjimmywolf
  • LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    This looks so crappy. It is about time that Marc refunds his backers. There has been another similar Developer who could not stand his lies anymore, but he is no more...
    LeFantomeDekahn

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Here is a problem. And i can not believe someone like M.J is making the same mistake: Showing smoothly 1000 animated entities on the screen, is not same as 1000 internet connected players using spamming various attacks and abilities.

If they spent 6 years to do this engine , just so it can show 1000 entities on the screen ? We allready have such games: Serious Sam, Totally Accurate Battle Simulator ... just some that pop in mind.

But damn, make text only game. No animation. And have 1000 players just spam attacks. You will have lag.

Look at EVE. Virtually no animation. Other players are just dots on screen. Still LAG.

So what we have here is nice engine for a game with many creatures on screen. I think he also knows its not enough for MMO. And this is why they are doing that singleplayer game.

That is the truth
    CopperfieldLeFantome[Deleted User]SailorMomjimmywolfMendel

• whoywhoy Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Kickstarter in 2013, enough said.
    LeFantomeSailorMomstrawhat0981
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    edited February 2020
    Trust in crowd funded MMOs is at an all time low and I see other issues like this coming up before we see anything that will raise confidence. The only thing that will truly raise confidence is a successful launch and for any of them that's not going to be for another couple of years.
    XarkoGroqstrong
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Forgot to watch the video ,sooooo i did.

I disagree with his opening statement.Looking over that list it looks like the ENTIRE game makeup,tons of stuff that would have been worked on from the first year and imo some of that or SOMETHING should have already been done.Also there is a TEAM.if i dissect each section onto sections for various parts of the team,again some should be already done and a lot are SMALLish things that you don't spend everyday or even a full day on.
    Spawn points,should have long been DONE ,aside from the obvious,needing to add new ones to new map/area but not like you spend more than 5 minutes doing it.Collision,how long are they spending on that years?

ALL THE THINGS we been working on,is an extremely vague statement.All he is doing is trying to take the entire project and project it all into the last 6 months.At the state of the game now,6 months of work seems more in line.

Overmind...scripted spawn points..haha yeah there is script,scripted control of spawn points and npc's.Just now over the last 6 months he could spawn in npc's?Or what the spawn points never worked so they have spent 6 months working on them...lol,this guy is really stretching this.

"Cutting edge tech"LMAO is he serious?

So he is showing 2....TWO animated effects,a fireball and whatever the other one is and they hit surfaces but do NOTHING to the surfaces.Well they do something,they play out their last sequence of the animation....sigh,this is VERY far from leading edge tech.I played Red Faction,MANY years ago where there was surface damage at least in some form,even if as small as a decal but Mark's leading edge tech is not even showing a decal on the surfaces.
    There is obviously a lot more in there but i can't talk about it all.
    GdemamiLeFantomejimmywolfbgzgamer

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It's ziz asks WHAT IF....

He wished he never started unless he had more money.Well geesh that would be obvious to probably 90% of random viewers,so how was that not obvious to an established game developer.Anyhow yes i agree with that statement but he is still off in his biggest need and that is an already established game engine which would speed everything up and again obviously considering the snail's pace.

So since both are obvious even though he would claim he needed his own engine "i disagree fully"then WHY did he start this project?
    IMO he THOUGHT he would have got more money.I base my opinion on his statement about starting at a bad time during hyped mobile and other crowd funding games.He can't blame the market because he doesn't go in on a whim like this with his OWN money but was more than willing because it was other people's money a very low risk if any risk at all.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    lots of double digit IQ responses here.

lots of stuff going on in the background.. which is the founding layer of any game..

Since this project is on a home made engine it will take time.

the npc's that are added on the game.. are doing background calculations like if a player is playing the game.  The engine is networking these npc's and simulating communications between a ghost client and engine.

having over 10k npc's or more doing these calculations is in the background is major step forward. some order video on the web showed that the engine can handle this.

Another problem comes with these massive battles is a FPS problem.. and they are trying to figure out how high they can stretch the visuals of this game without losing major fps.

might wanne add. that their alpha's and beta's are old school meaning. and not like any other company that launching an alpha that are almost done/playable.

This is game is stretching the possibilites of large scale battles with the current technology available.

Will it take time? ofc.. imo i dont see this game lauching within 2 years.

francis_baudGroqstrong
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I think there is simply not enough money to make MMORPGs in the scale and scope we're expecting. Unless it is like Project Gorgon. 

They are one in many who perhaps underestimated the costs of the endeavour which includes an engine. We will probably see more delays and even hopefully not a shutdown  of the project.
    ScotHerithiusMendel
    Chamber of Chains
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited February 2020
    So basically they showed what the engine is capable of right now...which is basically Ragnarok.

Let's face it, they run out of money, the engine is nowhere near capable of running a MMORPG (yet), so they decided to make a game that can be built with what they have at the moment.

It make sense, but it really doesn't bode well for CU future.

Gdemami