Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stil mad, Neva Forget

124

Comments

  • TierlessTierless ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,377
    This time of year this thread always gets some love. Why? "Released June 26, 2003" and we still can't forget her. She was truly once in a lifetime. 
    But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers, knowing no other path.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,486
    I didn't get to try it until well after NGE so I have no idea what it was like in its heyday.
  • TierlessTierless ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,377
    I didn't get to try it until well after NGE so I have no idea what it was like in its heyday.
    It felt lawless like EVE but looked nicer than any game at the time (and many now somehow). It was unpredictable, chaotic and dramatic while somehow being peaceful, creative and wonderful. It felt like an escape to another world that you never wanted to leave. It was living Star Wars. 
    But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers, knowing no other path.
  • itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    TimEisen said:
    I didn't get to try it until well after NGE so I have no idea what it was like in its heyday.
    It felt lawless like EVE but looked nicer than any game at the time (and many now somehow). It was unpredictable, chaotic and dramatic while somehow being peaceful, creative and wonderful. It felt like an escape to another world that you never wanted to leave. It was living Star Wars. 


    that sound like no game right now closer to it.
    Tierless

    image
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,020
    I'm guessing I'm in the minority of liking SWG a lot more after the NGE?
  • TierlessTierless ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,377
    blamo2000 said:
    I'm guessing I'm in the minority of liking SWG a lot more after the NGE?
    In the end it had turned into a decent game with some really nice features. Some those features certainly were on par or better than some pre-NGE but overall the NGE profession system broke so much of what made SWG special to begin with it simply never felt the same (or as good) again (for me). 
    But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers, knowing no other path.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,059
    Dilly dilly to never giving up on a feud. 
    [Deleted User]

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,442
    Tried it a couple of times, couldn't get into it at all. Perhaps because of the schlock Sci Fi setting called star Wars, bleh....

    "Invoking nerd rage one post at a time."

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Tierless[Deleted User]blueturtle13
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...



    'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

    It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

    It is just huge resource waste....'

    Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

  • TierlessTierless ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,377
    lahnmir said:
    Tried it a couple of times, couldn't get into it at all. Perhaps because of the schlock Sci Fi setting called star Wars, bleh....

    "Invoking nerd rage one post at a time."

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Don't tell my base but I wasn't a Star Wars fan growing up! Then I played Galaxies and became a fairly hardcore Star Wars fan. 
    lahnmir
    But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers, knowing no other path.
  • KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    TimEisen said:
    lahnmir said:
    Tried it a couple of times, couldn't get into it at all. Perhaps because of the schlock Sci Fi setting called star Wars, bleh....

    "Invoking nerd rage one post at a time."

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Don't tell my base but I wasn't a Star Wars fan growing up! Then I played Galaxies and became a fairly hardcore Star Wars fan. 

    The same happened to me. The NGE dampened my Star Wars enthusiasm. Disney obliterated it with 'The Last Jedi'. I dabbled with a couple of emulators a few years ago, but there was no real community (no-one stuck around).

    image

  • SWGvohplayerSWGvohplayer Member CommonPosts: 5
    People who enjoyed the NGE at the end  can still enjoy it on swgprophecy if you don't want the nonstop 1-2min lagspikes but meh though here's some footage from said server someone posted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKaTcAkWrog&t though im not a fan of pvp..but i know some enjoy it and gotta admit not having a toxic community is hard to come by now.
    Tierless
  • TierlessTierless ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,377
    Yahssss the EMU's mean it is immortal and glorious. 
    But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers, knowing no other path.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,486
    TimEisen said:
    I didn't get to try it until well after NGE so I have no idea what it was like in its heyday.
    It felt lawless like EVE but looked nicer than any game at the time (and many now somehow). It was unpredictable, chaotic and dramatic while somehow being peaceful, creative and wonderful. It felt like an escape to another world that you never wanted to leave. It was living Star Wars. 

    I thought PVP was voluntary and you had to flag?
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,873
    TimEisen said:
    I didn't get to try it until well after NGE so I have no idea what it was like in its heyday.
    It felt lawless like EVE but looked nicer than any game at the time (and many now somehow). It was unpredictable, chaotic and dramatic while somehow being peaceful, creative and wonderful. It felt like an escape to another world that you never wanted to leave. It was living Star Wars. 

    I thought PVP was voluntary and you had to flag?
    You have to flag for PvP in SWG. It's voluntary.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,415
    I thought PVP was voluntary and you had to flag?
    That's correct as far as open world Pvp went.  There were a few PVP area's where you'd be flagged automatically when you entered (like a arena area out in the middle of no where and the much more popular fight area that was really close to a starport).

    Also if you took a faction mission you'd flag as soon as you opened fire on any enemy NPC.

    SWG was one of those games that you could totally ignore Pvp if you wanted to and it wouldn't effect your game play at all.  They even had a neutral faction for space combat.

    SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO - GnH (beta tester) - SWToR - Neverwinter

  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,873
    People who enjoyed the NGE at the end  can still enjoy it on swgprophecy if you don't want the nonstop 1-2min lagspikes but meh though here's some footage from said server someone posted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKaTcAkWrog&t though im not a fan of pvp..but i know some enjoy it and gotta admit not having a toxic community is hard to come by now.
    Prophecy would be great but they let all VOH players bring all of their previous server inventories onto the fresh server. These players completely dominated the economy which was then further destroyed by making RE trivial, BM components cheap as hell to produce, RLS so common, and double tokens for heroics. There is no economy to participate in. New players are pretty much at the whim of a handful of people who played on another server years ago.

    I do enjoy some of the changes the team has made, and it's nice having space GCW even though there's no one to play with. Eisley is probably completely empty 99% of the time.
  • TierlessTierless ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,377
    TimEisen said:
    I didn't get to try it until well after NGE so I have no idea what it was like in its heyday.
    It felt lawless like EVE but looked nicer than any game at the time (and many now somehow). It was unpredictable, chaotic and dramatic while somehow being peaceful, creative and wonderful. It felt like an escape to another world that you never wanted to leave. It was living Star Wars. 

    I thought PVP was voluntary and you had to flag?
    U had to flag BUT, many people would walk around flagged daring people to fight them and fights broke out a lot. 

    ALSO you could pick to be in a war with another guild so to each other you were also flagged. That was very cool as well. 
    But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers, knowing no other path.
  • TierlessTierless ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,377
    What is the diff SWG EMU, SWG Legends, SWG Prophecy?
    But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers, knowing no other path.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,873
    Tierless said:
    What is the diff SWG EMU, SWG Legends, SWG Prophecy?
    SWGEMU is pre-cu content, no space (JTL). This has a decent playerbase but the least content by far. It's the original pick skills type SWG game. Crafting economy with limited resources. It's the purest form of SWG but also the most archaic and least content by a huge margin.

    SWG Legends is the NGE (the one people hate on) using actual closing server source code with content added and modified over time. This server has space which is its own game itself, dungeons, pseudo raids, but has classes with specs sorta like early WoW. The classes are fun with typical MMO roles. The crafting is the same for the most part, with the same limited resource economy. This server has the largest population and staff by a large margin of any of the servers. Very active discord with lots of trading and healthy economy. Still a somewhat active PvP community and guilds for each type of player.

    SWG Prophecy is sorta like Legends but has custom changes, space content and space PvP. It has the rare loot system, simplified crafting, new sets, and bonus token drops. It also is a server that used a database from a prior server, which allowed the people who played for a year on the prior server to keep all of their stuff. It's a very small community without much opportunity for growth as a crafter and hardly any groups running dungeons. All of the early player economic mechanics have been thwarted through QoL changes. As a new player you have virtually no way to contribute or gain credits aside from straight grind.


    TLDR:

    SWGEMU : Least players, least content, "original game"
    SWGLegends : Most players, most content "final version of the game"
    SWGProphecy : Small but friendly community. modded content but no economy to participate in.

    Played each and enjoy each. As a new player I'd go with Legends as you'll actually see other people and if you've played MMOs you'll be somewhat familiar.
    Tierless
  • TierlessTierless ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,377
    Utinni said:
    Tierless said:
    What is the diff SWG EMU, SWG Legends, SWG Prophecy?
    SWGEMU is pre-cu content, no space (JTL). This has a decent playerbase but the least content by far. It's the original pick skills type SWG game. Crafting economy with limited resources. It's the purest form of SWG but also the most archaic and least content by a huge margin.

    SWG Legends is the NGE (the one people hate on) using actual closing server source code with content added and modified over time. This server has space which is its own game itself, dungeons, pseudo raids, but has classes with specs sorta like early WoW. The classes are fun with typical MMO roles. The crafting is the same for the most part, with the same limited resource economy. This server has the largest population and staff by a large margin of any of the servers. Very active discord with lots of trading and healthy economy. Still a somewhat active PvP community and guilds for each type of player.

    SWG Prophecy is sorta like Legends but has custom changes, space content and space PvP. It has the rare loot system, simplified crafting, new sets, and bonus token drops. It also is a server that used a database from a prior server, which allowed the people who played for a year on the prior server to keep all of their stuff. It's a very small community without much opportunity for growth as a crafter and hardly any groups running dungeons. All of the early player economic mechanics have been thwarted through QoL changes. As a new player you have virtually no way to contribute or gain credits aside from straight grind.


    TLDR:

    SWGEMU : Least players, least content, "original game"
    SWGLegends : Most players, most content "final version of the game"
    SWGProphecy : Small but friendly community. modded content but no economy to participate in.

    Played each and enjoy each. As a new player I'd go with Legends as you'll actually see other people and if you've played MMOs you'll be somewhat familiar.
    Love your name and cant thank you enough. 
    But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers, knowing no other path.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,873
    Tierless said:
    Utinni said:
    Tierless said:
    What is the diff SWG EMU, SWG Legends, SWG Prophecy?
    SWGEMU is pre-cu content, no space (JTL). This has a decent playerbase but the least content by far. It's the original pick skills type SWG game. Crafting economy with limited resources. It's the purest form of SWG but also the most archaic and least content by a huge margin.

    SWG Legends is the NGE (the one people hate on) using actual closing server source code with content added and modified over time. This server has space which is its own game itself, dungeons, pseudo raids, but has classes with specs sorta like early WoW. The classes are fun with typical MMO roles. The crafting is the same for the most part, with the same limited resource economy. This server has the largest population and staff by a large margin of any of the servers. Very active discord with lots of trading and healthy economy. Still a somewhat active PvP community and guilds for each type of player.

    SWG Prophecy is sorta like Legends but has custom changes, space content and space PvP. It has the rare loot system, simplified crafting, new sets, and bonus token drops. It also is a server that used a database from a prior server, which allowed the people who played for a year on the prior server to keep all of their stuff. It's a very small community without much opportunity for growth as a crafter and hardly any groups running dungeons. All of the early player economic mechanics have been thwarted through QoL changes. As a new player you have virtually no way to contribute or gain credits aside from straight grind.


    TLDR:

    SWGEMU : Least players, least content, "original game"
    SWGLegends : Most players, most content "final version of the game"
    SWGProphecy : Small but friendly community. modded content but no economy to participate in.

    Played each and enjoy each. As a new player I'd go with Legends as you'll actually see other people and if you've played MMOs you'll be somewhat familiar.
    Love your name and cant thank you enough. 
    They are all great for different reasons. I used to be a pre-cu guy until I played the final version of NGE and realized it had all of my favorite aspects. Housing, crafting, social aspects, buffing... it was all still there. If anything the NGE classes are more diverse than the early ones too imo. I still love and have accounts that I maintain currency on each though. It's just such a great game.
    Tierless
  • TierlessTierless ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,377
    Utinni said:
    Tierless said:
    Utinni said:
    Tierless said:
    What is the diff SWG EMU, SWG Legends, SWG Prophecy?
    SWGEMU is pre-cu content, no space (JTL). This has a decent playerbase but the least content by far. It's the original pick skills type SWG game. Crafting economy with limited resources. It's the purest form of SWG but also the most archaic and least content by a huge margin.

    SWG Legends is the NGE (the one people hate on) using actual closing server source code with content added and modified over time. This server has space which is its own game itself, dungeons, pseudo raids, but has classes with specs sorta like early WoW. The classes are fun with typical MMO roles. The crafting is the same for the most part, with the same limited resource economy. This server has the largest population and staff by a large margin of any of the servers. Very active discord with lots of trading and healthy economy. Still a somewhat active PvP community and guilds for each type of player.

    SWG Prophecy is sorta like Legends but has custom changes, space content and space PvP. It has the rare loot system, simplified crafting, new sets, and bonus token drops. It also is a server that used a database from a prior server, which allowed the people who played for a year on the prior server to keep all of their stuff. It's a very small community without much opportunity for growth as a crafter and hardly any groups running dungeons. All of the early player economic mechanics have been thwarted through QoL changes. As a new player you have virtually no way to contribute or gain credits aside from straight grind.


    TLDR:

    SWGEMU : Least players, least content, "original game"
    SWGLegends : Most players, most content "final version of the game"
    SWGProphecy : Small but friendly community. modded content but no economy to participate in.

    Played each and enjoy each. As a new player I'd go with Legends as you'll actually see other people and if you've played MMOs you'll be somewhat familiar.
    Love your name and cant thank you enough. 
    They are all great for different reasons. I used to be a pre-cu guy until I played the final version of NGE and realized it had all of my favorite aspects. Housing, crafting, social aspects, buffing... it was all still there. If anything the NGE classes are more diverse than the early ones too imo. I still love and have accounts that I maintain currency on each though. It's just such a great game.
    Its hard for me because I felt the original class system is still the best ive seen. Being able to take points and spread the mover 2.5 classes made for so many fascinating, unique characters that felt like they were your own. The game itself, content wise, hit a stride the last couple years and added a ton of great content. So I suppose I want all the new content, with the old class sytem lol. But yeah I went into the Legends one and it felt great. 
    But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers, knowing no other path.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,873
    Tierless said:
    Utinni said:
    Tierless said:
    Utinni said:
    Tierless said:
    What is the diff SWG EMU, SWG Legends, SWG Prophecy?
    SWGEMU is pre-cu content, no space (JTL). This has a decent playerbase but the least content by far. It's the original pick skills type SWG game. Crafting economy with limited resources. It's the purest form of SWG but also the most archaic and least content by a huge margin.

    SWG Legends is the NGE (the one people hate on) using actual closing server source code with content added and modified over time. This server has space which is its own game itself, dungeons, pseudo raids, but has classes with specs sorta like early WoW. The classes are fun with typical MMO roles. The crafting is the same for the most part, with the same limited resource economy. This server has the largest population and staff by a large margin of any of the servers. Very active discord with lots of trading and healthy economy. Still a somewhat active PvP community and guilds for each type of player.

    SWG Prophecy is sorta like Legends but has custom changes, space content and space PvP. It has the rare loot system, simplified crafting, new sets, and bonus token drops. It also is a server that used a database from a prior server, which allowed the people who played for a year on the prior server to keep all of their stuff. It's a very small community without much opportunity for growth as a crafter and hardly any groups running dungeons. All of the early player economic mechanics have been thwarted through QoL changes. As a new player you have virtually no way to contribute or gain credits aside from straight grind.


    TLDR:

    SWGEMU : Least players, least content, "original game"
    SWGLegends : Most players, most content "final version of the game"
    SWGProphecy : Small but friendly community. modded content but no economy to participate in.

    Played each and enjoy each. As a new player I'd go with Legends as you'll actually see other people and if you've played MMOs you'll be somewhat familiar.
    Love your name and cant thank you enough. 
    They are all great for different reasons. I used to be a pre-cu guy until I played the final version of NGE and realized it had all of my favorite aspects. Housing, crafting, social aspects, buffing... it was all still there. If anything the NGE classes are more diverse than the early ones too imo. I still love and have accounts that I maintain currency on each though. It's just such a great game.
    Its hard for me because I felt the original class system is still the best ive seen. Being able to take points and spread the mover 2.5 classes made for so many fascinating, unique characters that felt like they were your own. The game itself, content wise, hit a stride the last couple years and added a ton of great content. So I suppose I want all the new content, with the old class sytem lol. But yeah I went into the Legends one and it felt great. 
    I enjoyed the skill-based class system for a bit but eventually you see its more the illusion of choice if you want to have a viable character. At least with the final NGE classes each has multiple viable specs that typically play differently. I was always a huge fan of the crafting/beast mastery/economy part of the game so since that remained the game was still lovely for me. That and I can't pass up having JTL. Glad you got back into it !
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 4,040
    I know this feel, HoT was the NGE for GW2, for me.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,694
    June 26th 2003
     

    F





    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter
Sign In or Register to comment.