Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

COE 0.5 Development Update, coming "soon"

1235»

Comments

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    He's priming the pump:

Caspian ☁Today at 6:10 PM

Please note, there's a difference between missing a deliverable and changing plans. We decided not to release the Pre-Alpha last year with little content and few mechanics. But we are otherwise where we expected to be at about the same time.
    I'm just going to say one thing here, LOL!

It's a good laugh reading this discord atm:

ForthrightToday at 10:24 AM

Caspian, nobody cares about the word count or the turning of a phrase. Most people just want a few lines that contain some facts. What happened last year. Where are we today. And whats the plan to get us to the finish line.

Caspian ☁Today at 10:24 AM

Takes his toys and goes home.

And he was never seen from again. I do like the 3 minute update he was putting out at one point. I totally needed that level of update and not just getting it an hour sooner.
    Slapshot1188KyleranAnOldFart
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    edited March 2019
    It finally came out around 10PM Eastern.  

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Overall a good update. A few notes of concern. Them giving a date to when DSS will start or at least saying when the launch will be. Every time they give a date, it really never ends well. I would have really hoped they learned by now. But seems not. I so wanna make a post over there linking just this:

"But it's not at all uncommon for key members of the game team to occasionally go on loan to the C&O team. In particular, Raevantiel, Vye, Snipehunter, Heat, and myself occasionally must switch our attention away from the game in order to help out with a promotion, an event, or something similar. This was especially true with Map Voting, and we knew it would also be the case with Domain & Settlement Selection."

All the months they said these stupid pointless events didn't slow down development of the game, which we all knew was a lie. Yeah moving 5 people, from their rumoured 25 team back and forth. Yep, that would really slow the hell out of everything. 

Now maybe I just don't have enough understanding. But surely they could just keep both teams separate. Then stuff just got released together, over them what looks like caring about pointless events over just getting the game made. Hell just hire more community and outreach people, over moving key people over. Anything would be better than the game getting pushed back more and more.
    GdemamiAnOldFart
  • InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Honestly, if they screw up domain selection in any way, they will have shot themselves in the foot. People paid 10's of thousands of dollars in part to pick which area their kingdom or duchy will be in.

I'm not sure how they will do it, they can't wait for each person to choose, that will take ages. But if it's almost like a FFA based on how much influence you have. Then you need to make sure people have enough time in advance to make plans in case they won't be able to pick themselves.

But really they better spell it out clearly very soon so all those people who spent thousands of dollars can try and coordinate. Because if they screw this up...
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    AnOldFart said:
    Well Caspian is giving a constant word count update.
    Good to know he is concentrating on writing his update. 

21.35 Up to 1,500 words now.
    Still got some more writing to do, plus the intro and conclusion.
    I think my estimate of 2,500 words is pretty spot on.
    21.46 1700 words now.
    21.52. I'm still on the stuff in the middle.
    The intro will probably be 250 words, the conclusion a bit less.
    21.53. I'm going to try and keep it under 2500 words.
    21.55 Heh. It's not a release blog.
    The 0.5.0 blog will have a hell of a lot more media.

How about get the f**k off discord and write it, does he not have any time management skill or discipline.
    Oh and this update is just the state of elyria not the 0.5 uodate
    Is this real? When I first read it I thought it was a parody you created to lighten up the mood...
    Harbinger of Fools
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Dakeru said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Well Caspian is giving a constant word count update.
    Good to know he is concentrating on writing his update. 

21.35 Up to 1,500 words now.
    Still got some more writing to do, plus the intro and conclusion.
    I think my estimate of 2,500 words is pretty spot on.
    21.46 1700 words now.
    21.52. I'm still on the stuff in the middle.
    The intro will probably be 250 words, the conclusion a bit less.
    21.53. I'm going to try and keep it under 2500 words.
    21.55 Heh. It's not a release blog.
    The 0.5.0 blog will have a hell of a lot more media.

How about get the f**k off discord and write it, does he not have any time management skill or discipline.
    Oh and this update is just the state of elyria not the 0.5 uodate
    Is this real? When I first read it I thought it was a parody you created to lighten up the mood...
    It really was real... 

I was waiting for an update and instead got an upto date word count. 
    I'm doing a part time degree in my spare time and the only time I check the word count is when I think I've finished, I then either have to cut or bulk out.

But one thing I don't do when writing it is spend time talking to people in discord... 
    He's priming the pump:

Caspian ☁Today at 6:10 PM

Please note, there's a difference between missing a deliverable and changing plans. We decided not to release the Pre-Alpha last year with little content and few mechanics. But we are otherwise where we expected to be at about the same time.

Didn't see your post was too busy thinking that Caspian was p***ing me off.
    And to think I was a one time "white Knight" for this project (I'll call it a game when I get into beta) 
    Gdemami
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    AnOldFart said:

And to think I was a one time "white Knight" for this project (I'll call it a game when I get into beta) 
    No no you got it all wrong.
    At one point someone from the CoE community will join this forum again and open your eyes.

It's not that you were a whiteknight before - it's more that the negativity of this community got you infected and you are now a hater.
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited March 2019
    Dakeru said:
    AnOldFart said:

At one point someone from the CoE community will join this forum again and open your eyes.

It's not that you were a whiteknight before - it's more that the negativity of this community got you infected and you are now a hater.
    LOL, trust me (I'm sure @Slapshot1188 will verify) 
    I was a bad bad white Knight. 
    It also wasn't you guys corrupting me, I stopped coming here... 
    Then I got more and more disillusioned and now I'm an hopeful pessimist... 
    Gdemami
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    ZZZ zzzzz ZZZ...mupdate?...ZZZZ zzzzz.
    Interitus said:
    Honestly, if they screw up domain selection in any way, they will have shot themselves in the foot. People paid 10's of thousands of dollars in part to pick which area their kingdom or duchy will be in.

I'm not sure how they will do it, they can't wait for each person to choose, that will take ages. But if it's almost like a FFA based on how much influence you have. Then you need to make sure people have enough time in advance to make plans in case they won't be able to pick themselves.

I doubt they could screw it up really, it's one thing that should go pretty smoothly. Most people would be already locked into a server. Probably do groups at a time. The only problem I really see is how big of a window people will have. 

If they didn't do it in groups and each person had their own window. Even split up by server. I could just see them giving people 1-2hrs max. If it was in group, though it would create pretty massive backlash since then IP becomes a bit more useless. Could give each group 5-10 hours, depending on the group size. I do wonder if they have anything locked in yet.

Dakeru said:
    AnOldFart said:

This here is why I say this forum is good. It maybe on the more negative side, but it balances out the ass kissers on the CoE forums. This forum wouldn't be needed at all, if people could voice their concerns, on the CoE forums, without being jumped by white knights.
    AnOldFartGdemamiMendel

Dakeru said:
    AnOldFart said:

This here is why I say this forum is good. It maybe on the more negative side, but it balances out the ass kissers on the CoE forums. This forum wouldn't be needed at all, if people could voice their concerns, on the CoE forums, without being jumped by white knights.
    100%  this
    GdemamiMendel
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    AnOldFart said:

Dakeru said:
    AnOldFart said:

100%  this
    The white knights aren't the problem, they are easily shredded,  it's the moderators which stifle conversations at their whims in order to "protect" the game's forums from negativity (aka truth and reality).
    GdemamiAnOldFartSlapshot1188TorrskMendel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    "Their forums, their rules !"

Luckily there are other forums where their rules don't apply...
    KyleranGdemami
  • kjellemannkjellemann Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Soon™ 
    Hahahhahaha

The Secret World

Torrsk said:
    Overall a good update. A few notes of concern. Them giving a date to when DSS will start or at least saying when the launch will be. Every time they give a date, it really never ends well. I would have really hoped they learned by now. But seems not. I so wanna make a post over there linking just this:

Well given that they are starting the D&SS without the tools (starting manually) it looks like you were right.  I'm sure this will turn out just swell!

MadFrenchieGdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Torrsk said:

Well given that they are starting the D&SS without the tools (starting manually) it looks like you were right.  I'm sure this will turn out just swell!

Yeah.. not even surprised by this. Just like in a week time I won't be surprised when they delay it again. I am somewhat surprised they plan is to screw over dukes though. The first dukes only having a few hours to look over the map. Fun times for them. The dukes where many have spent more than some kings.
    Gdemami
    Torrsk said:
    Torrsk said:

Yeah.. not even surprised by this. Just like in a week time I won't be surprised when they delay it again. I am somewhat surprised they plan is to screw over dukes though. The first dukes only having a few hours to look over the map. Fun times for them. The dukes where many have spent more than some kings.
    Indeed that sucks for dukes. 

Fun fact 3 days ago I asked in discord when the announcement that D&SS would be delayed was... 

Turns out 2 days later.... 
    Kyleran said:
    Back on Jan 24th a link was posted saying Caspian was ready to write the .5 Dev blog / update,  but three or so weeks later still no word.

Thought we could use a thread to keep watch for it and discuss the contents when it arrives.

https://forums.mmorpg.com/uploads/editor/xz/4i3fcv48pvrd.jpg
    Hi.. just a glance back a year ago.  Look at the title and topic.  That same topic is currently discussed on their boards and Discord.

You just cannot make this stuff up.