Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of Elyria 2020 Preview:

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Caspian ☁Last Friday at 8:58 PM

This year is all about facing the future for us. We had a rough year last year, so my focus this year is on pushing the team to be better than they were before. To really show people what they're capable of. I'm working to cultivate a fearlessness in the studio. As the song says, this year is about pushing forward and rising, making people pay attention to what we're doing.
----

Jeromy the LAST thing you want is for people to pay attention to what you are doing...  IMHO the only reason you're still around is because people do NOT pay attention and believe your same bullshit year after year.   Maybe they will take your advice this year though and call you out on it.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

[Deleted User]AnOldFart[Deleted User]

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Naw, they haven't learned, instead they are sending gift baskets in "appreciation" of being crapped on yet again.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    You never know.  They even turned on one of their moderators because they checked and found that he “upvoted” a taboo topic.  I hear a much wider field of rumbling recently.  Although it seems like some still act like Charlie Brown believing Lucy when she tells them that THIS time she won’t pull away the football on him.  
    Cosmoguard

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

You never know.  They even turned on one of their moderators because they checked and found that he “upvoted” a taboo topic.  I hear a much wider field of rumbling recently.  Although it seems like some still act like Charlie Brown believing Lucy when she tells them that THIS time she won’t pull away the football on him.  
    Yeah, our old friend Dleath is pretty critical these days, King Adam is almost openly hostile to Serp in the rare occasions he drops into forums and yes, turning on Mic was telling how paranoid Serp is these days. 

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I think Caspian may be delusional if he believes that there is any future for SBS that don't involve closing the doors.

Nilden[Deleted User]

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    "We had a rough year last year, so my focus this year is on pushing the team to be better than they were before."

That's the pep talk? It is like a line out of a sports comedy with a duff coach and it comes out two months already into the year.
    Scot said:
    "We had a rough year last year, so my focus this year is on pushing the team to be better than they were before."

That's the pep talk? It is like a line out of a sports comedy with a duff coach and it comes out two months already into the year.
    Well, when your record is like 1-16 it isn't too hard to improve on, right?
    Scot

News from the Grapevine(TM):

Caspian ☁Today at 7:14 PM

So, what have I been up to today? * Interviews * Design Meeting * Candidate Reviews * R&D * Settlers of Elyria guidance * Defining our mission statement

Defining our mission statement.  ROFL.  Someone got a "Leadership By Numbers" book for Christmas...

Kyleran

News from the Grapevine(TM):

Caspian ☁Today at 7:14 PM

So, what have I been up to today? * Interviews * Design Meeting * Candidate Reviews * R&D * Settlers of Elyria guidance * Defining our mission statement

Defining our mission statement.  ROFL.  Someone got a "Leadership By Numbers" book for Christmas...

You know how backers always send SBS gifts? I think I'll send him a book to help him out.

:D 

https://www.amazon.com/Pattern-Oriented-Software-Architecture-Dummies-Robert/dp/1119963990

Slapshot1188

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'll be honest, Elyria has provided me with years of entertainment on just the drama surrounding it. Thanks SBS.
    Slapshot1188
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Honestly I'm pretty much done with all crowd funding and kickstarters. unless you have a finished game I can actually play, forget it.

I'm not buying hope or pipe dreams. So show me something awesome to play or it's all just talk and broken promises.
    DeveronMendel

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Oh I have my software development books from my computer science degree. When I'm done with them in June I'll post them to Caspian 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I probably have better odds at winning the Powerball than I do playing a released version of this game.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Don’t be so negative... they will soon have a Mission Statement...
    KyleranSensai

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Don’t be so negative... they will soon have a Mission Statement...
    And a logo.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

All it takes is a dollar and a dream...

• goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    All it takes is a dollar and a dream...
    I think you guys are harsh on the studios, I am beyond excited right now. Who else got the chance of seeing the newest Shiny, delivered to us by none other then...wait for it....Caspian himself. Please note the word count accompanying this concept image released to us, because remember folks, when you have nothing to show you can mask that by eloquently writing a lot. Finally they are showing concept art of assets promised during Kickstarter. I just can't contain my excitement, finally something the community has been longing for.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/34672/SHINY-DAY-272020-Shine-like-footsteps-on-the-water
    Kyleran
  • DeveronDeveron Member UncommonPosts: 60
    And for a second I thought another had fallen victim to the body snatchers. There’s been a few folks who were behaving almost like they were replaced lately. Creepy. 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    By now, the only thing that will shock me regarding CoE is if they actually deliver something meaningful, lol
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    Decided to click the link to see what they were showing for their progress (I havent followed this game much) and got a good laugh. If thats what they have been stringing people along with, they have some real suckers backing and supporting them. 
    By now, the only thing that will shock me regarding CoE is if they actually deliver something meaningful, lol
    Well apparently Caspien thinks that the problem is not their lack of progress but that they have not marketed their incredible work correctly. So he stated they are hiring a marketing manager.

You cannot make this shit up...

Caspian ☁Last Friday at 8:58 PM

This year is all about facing the future for us. We had a rough year last year, so my focus this year is on pushing the team to be better than they were before. To really show people what they're capable of. I'm working to cultivate a fearlessness in the studio. As the song says, this year is about pushing forward and rising, making people pay attention to what we're doing.
    ----

Jeromy the LAST thing you want is for people to pay attention to what you are doing...  IMHO the only reason you're still around is because people do NOT pay attention and believe your same bullshit year after year.   Maybe they will take your advice this year though and call you out on it.

With March already here, I wonder what we are paying attention to? Plagiarized art content or shitty fan fiction peddled as shinies? Should be interesting moving forward as they have playable content to release, StoE, Settlers, KSV event, and so much more. Wonder what the song for 2021 will be?
    Kyleran
    My guess is their big release is going to be the low-res parkour “dungeon” that is going to be spun as some kind of Lore event based on the last silly Shiny story.  They will having people that literally paid tens of thousands of dollars playing a “demo” resembling some students Sr Project.  They seem very proud of the zipline so I’m sure that will be a centerpiece.  They have a timer and show “course record” and will probably have some leaderboard and/or “in game” reward (title or item).

Its so sad yet you will have people eating it up and shouting out the progress and how they now have playable content.   It’s a joke. 

But it’s Groundhog Day over there.  I can’t bring myself to even go read their forums and haven’t been on their Discord in a long time.

I wish I had seen this back in 2016 when i backed this game. If some one told me 4 years in the future there would be no playable content, every deadline missed, and they are gearing up to have people test a low poly parkour dungeon that looks like old school Runescape. I would not have given them one penny.
    AnOldFart
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    edited March 2020
    Thing I struggled with recently when I downloaded ue4 to have a play.

They told us they are using low fidelity assets to be able to test systems. I have to ask why didn't they just use the stock ue4 models to test systems.
    As for character animations that can be done in a seperate sandbox using full animations then incorporated into the game...

But then again I'm not a game developer... 
  • DeveronDeveron Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Because the „systems” weren’t and aren’t up for testing. 

Otherwise, we’d have started testing a long time ago with the MUD or VoxElyria. Or now with the low poly client. It would have been the one thing that would instantly shut nearly all criticism down, but instead of that, we may get an instanced, offline locomotion demo, still lacking every other marketed feature.

You don’t do that and take the unavoidable hit, because you want to protect everything else you got. You’ll only do that if you must show something and that’s the only thing you’ve got slightly resembling one of the game’s mechanics. Not to forget that one ain’t out yet either and movement online will be an entirely different beast to boot, making this demo rather pointless from a testing perspective anyways.

But it may drive sales a bit.