Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Crowfall in a continuous, playable state?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Is Crowfall at the point yet where there's some form of game that can be played continuously?  I think I backed it way back.  Might as well check up on it if there's something to play.

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2019
    Zegaloth said:
    As far as I am aware they have the servers always online, but they still plan on wiping the servers a couple more times. I am waiting until there are no more wipes.

Keep in mind that the core game was originally pitched to be a 'seasonal' game, meaning there would be 'worlds' for up to various amounts of months and then they would 'die' off or reset as it were. So, hopefully people that backed the game liked that idea, unless they've changed their mind on that....like they have so many other things up to this point.
    JamesGoblin
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    The game has been playable 24/7 (not counting maintenance periods) for a couple years, at least. There are things that aren't in the game yet, but a lot of stuff is coming with the next patch, due to go live in February. Frostweaver, Caravans, the Dregs ruleset, city building, alternate ways to contribute to wins. The landscape will actually change as the seasons change. 

There aren't that many people playing right now because most are waiting for that patch, but if you are unfamiliar with the mechanics, it might be a good time to learn. There will be at least 2 more wipes before the game launches, one for the patch in February, and another for launch. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another when beta starts later next year.
    JamesGoblin[Deleted User]
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    OK, thanks guys.  What's the combat like?  I assume it's action.  Is there dodge rolling?  Dodge rolling is my arch nemesis.
    JamesGoblin
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Arterius said:
    OK, thanks guys.  What's the combat like?  I assume it's action.  Is there dodge rolling?  Dodge rolling is my arch nemesis.
    Lots of Dodge Rolling
    Noooooooo LOL

[Deleted User]JamesGoblinSovrath[Deleted User]
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Backed it when I saw shadowbane devs talking about shadowbane things. Played a few months ago and was astonished at how limiting the character building was. I'll just keep playing shadowbane.
    MargraveKyleranblamo2000[Deleted User]JamesGoblin[Deleted User]
  • FrykkaFrykka Member UncommonPosts: 154
    edited January 2020
    Albatroes said:
    Zegaloth said:
    As far as I am aware they have the servers always online, but they still plan on wiping the servers a couple more times. I am waiting until there are no more wipes.

"Keep in mind that the core game was originally pitched to be a 'seasonal' game, meaning there would be 'worlds' for up to various amounts of months and then they would 'die' off or reset as it were. So, hopefully people that backed the game liked that idea, unless they've changed their mind on that....like they have so many other things up to this point."

This is an MMO fully so the "seasons" thing means both that the environment goes through seasons as in spring, summer, fall, EMO time.  Harvesting resources is more lucrative in spring and falls off while ground based debuffs increase.  The other Seasons he alludes to in PvP sense is campaigns that end with a winner.  This does not ERASE progression.  It resets the world for another month+ campaign with different rules for winning and changes to points given to head taking, resource harvesting, mob killing, base taking, siege winning, area controlling, crafting, epic open world mob killing, city building, caravan robbing, caravan merchanting, buying, selling, trading, politicking, alliancing, enemying, backstabbing goodness that is open world.

ultimateduckJamesGoblin
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Utinni said:
    Backed it when I saw shadowbane devs talking about shadowbane things. Played a few months ago and was astonished at how limiting the character building was. I'll just keep playing shadowbane.
    How limited is it?  I've had my eye on this game for years specifically because it was my impression it has a pretty involved and choice heavy chardev system.  Is it planned but not added, or is what is there what the system is?  
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    blamo2000 said:
    Utinni said:
    How limited is it?  I've had my eye on this game for years specifically because it was my impression it has a pretty involved and choice heavy chardev system.  Is it planned but not added, or is what is there what the system is?  
    When the game was originally pitched, they planned to have archetypes, which was a race/class combo, like human knight and centaur legionnaire. A while back they decided to de-link class and race so that players could choose. Races have different abilities and passives and they are getting a significant update in the next patch. There are limitations on which races can be which classes, mostly due to time and budget constraints, but overall there is a lot more choice, and I would expect them to add more post launch. There are currently 12 total races and 10 classes, with the Frostweaver class due to be added next patch.

They also introduced the Crow and Vessel system a few years back. Players are immortal crows at the account level and they can craft bodies to inhabit, similar to the capsuleer/ship dynamic in EvE. So when you create a character, you can take the default common vessel provided by the game, or you can select a crafted vessel from your vault. Crafted vessels can have different quality levels and you can customize them to have the specific stats you want.

In addition to these, they have skill training, which affects all characters on your account. Skills train over time and they plan to add catchup mechanics for players who join late. Talents can be selected as you level up (leveling is extremely fast in CF and is more to provide new players with a progression to learn the game before diving into PvP). A common vessel can be leveled within 2 hours if you don't already have stuff you can sacrifice for XP. If you do have enough stuff to sacrifice, you can level even a legendary vessel in minutes, so vet players won't be overly burdened by this system.

There are also a variety of disciplines that you can select for your character. Major disciplines (2 max) come in 2 types, combat and crafting, and provide a variety of extra abilities and passives. Exploration disciplines (2 max) are for harvesting, and minor disciplines (3 max, though human is supposed to get a 4th in the next patch) mostly provide passive buffs for combat, crafting or harvesting.

According to a recent Q&A, they still plan to add the Advantages and Disadvantages system. If you played Shadowbane, you'll have an idea of what this is about. It is unclear at this time when that system will go live. It could potentially be post launch.

That seems like a lot of build options to me, but of course they still need to do a pass on disciplines to make sure they are all desirable, and talents will need a pass too. That's all stuff that they'll do during beta.

At a guild level, there are choices to make as well when building a city. Different buildings will give different buffs. We don't know the full list of options yet, but some that they mentioned are no-fly zone, no-burrow zone and a crafting buff. The no-fly zone will protect against Fae, while the no-burrow zone will protect against Guineceans. There will be buildings that spawn guards as well. Guilds won't be able to place every building type in their city, so they'll have to choose.

A lot is going to change in the next patch, so we'll have to wait and see how it all plays out.
    mcrippinsblamo2000ultimateduckJamesGoblin
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Arterius said:
    Lots of Dodge Rolling
    How much dodge rolling is "lots"?  There's quite a difference between:

Astellia:  it's a burst of speed to get to a spot faster, but you can still get hit at any point in the roll
    Guild Wars 2:  you're invulnerable during a roll, but the timer means you can only use it to avoid a small fraction of hits
    Dauntless:  you can and sometimes should spam five rolls in a row, and some bounties and quests demand that you dodge directly through the behemoth a large number of times
    Kritika:  if you do it right, you'll sometimes clear entire dungeons without ever taking any damage
    JamesGoblin
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    They say next patch is a miracle patch that makes the game playable, as it, not at all. I doubt the next patch will really change much anyways.

MurderHerd

edited January 2020
    blamo2000 said:
    Utinni said:
    You pick race (10) and class (12) and learn the powers in a short level grind 1-16  (shadowbane starting island style) and then you get your promotion class choice of 3.  The real worlds (PvP) require lvl 20...   you can grind the last 10 levels in a couple hours with a group.  After that progression is all crafted weapons and getting the mats for them (Mob drop weapons can be good for awhile but you'll want better)  Your build then adds 2 major, 2 gather/craft, and 3 minor(passive power) disciplines like Shadowbane.  We still hope they add the starting runes thing eventually which was shown a few times...  Amazing Str, Far sight, etc.  There should be the full SB style tracking system as well for rogue/ranger classes, we haven't seen that yet either which was the best thing for finding PvP outside of the POI, Caravan, Fort and Keep timers.  The game has Shadowbane elements for sure and about 200+ possible builds (only maybe 50 of which are viable).  There are bardlike skills, furylike skills, Prelate like skills, etc...   I don't get how you think the builds are limited... yes, you have to invest more time into the build than SB because you start over with a Blue vessel from White or even jump to Blue/Purple vessel which makes getting to your specific discs in the build pretty long and grindy.  The mobs drop the discs up to blue but you have to combine like 5 blue discs to make purple, etc...  
    Post edited by Frykka on
    JamesGoblin
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Frykka said:
    blamo2000 said:
    Utinni said:
    There should be the full SB style tracking system as well for rogue/ranger classes, 
    I do really hope they don't add it in full SB style. Clicking one button and seeing everyone in your area by name discouraged more PvP than anything. Everyone just sits with a tracker and constantly checks it, looks up who just came into the area, then decides if they fight or leave. It basically made open PvP in SB consensual. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Quizzical said:
    Arterius said:
    Lots of Dodge Rolling
    How much dodge rolling is "lots"?  There's quite a difference between:

Astellia:  it's a burst of speed to get to a spot faster, but you can still get hit at any point in the roll
    Guild Wars 2:  you're invulnerable during a roll, but the timer means you can only use it to avoid a small fraction of hits
    Dauntless:  you can and sometimes should spam five rolls in a row, and some bounties and quests demand that you dodge directly through the behemoth a large number of times
    Kritika:  if you do it right, you'll sometimes clear entire dungeons without ever taking any damage
    All of the above?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Anhrez1Anhrez1 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Utinni said:
    Frykka said:
    blamo2000 said:
    Utinni said:
    There should be the full SB style tracking system as well for rogue/ranger classes, 
    I do really hope they don't add it in full SB style. Clicking one button and seeing everyone in your area by name discouraged more PvP than anything. Everyone just sits with a tracker and constantly checks it, looks up who just came into the area, then decides if they fight or leave. It basically made open PvP in SB consensual. 

We have not seen much related to 'tracking' yet. It should be a limited skill that you have to give up something else to have so maybe that will make sure its not a requirement for every build. 

JamesGoblin
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    Utinni said:
    Frykka said:
    blamo2000 said:
    Utinni said:
    I had a guild called Thief's Bane.  We were all Scouts (or one dumbass had to make a thief himself) and we just went around hunting stealthed Thieves that were sitting in the middle of groups looting them while they were unaware.
    Was a ton of fun to pop out of stealth with 6 guys and gank a Thief while the XP group was like "WTF just happened?"

JamesGoblin

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Blazzen_LoDBlazzen_LoD Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    There's siege fights going on most days but the population is still pretty low. Expect things to really take off when the 5.110 patch hits in March sometime. That'll be BETA and they'll invite +300k testers in waves. Here's a siege from this weekend though: 
    KyleranJamesGoblin
  • CrusaderWCrusaderW Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Crowfall, even though not done and in constant shift is absolutely playable and in better shape than some games at release. Artcraft Entertainment is realy holding up there part of the bargain, where they promised to provide a playable version of the games at all times for backers until release.
    JamesGoblinfrancis_baudFrykkaKyleran
    edited February 2020
    Current 5.10 playable state

As a guild we are meeting to prep for 5.110 Test server to check build viability and changes.  Full wipe will mean a balanced playing field, 1x passive training will mean equal playing field for a month or more...  no crafted weapons for 2-3 weeks+ that beat any MoB drops.  It's gonna be fun PvP people, don't miss out on Free beta accounts.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Frykka said:
    Current 5.10 playable state

Ughhh that looks like shit
    FrykkaPanther2103

Ughhh that looks like shit
    Unless you actually know what you are looking at...   20+ v 20+   but again this is the current build but the bloom is already toned down.   PvP in an mmo takes a mind that can focus on what is important.  Not sure what you mean though...  don't stand in the red shit, watch your health and debuffs, keep you rotations and your facing on target.   There is zero lag or hitching in Durens vid and that is what counts.   Fort fights are confined and stacked compared to open field.   Looks no different to me than any 25 man boss fight in PvE in a confined space.  Think you must be a troll.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    My lord,that video game play looks way worse than i could have imagined...sad really sad.
    I cannot fathom the attraction to this sort of gameplay,is it because many people are very bad at pvp so when there are a pile of players on screen they can sort of hide in the shadows?
    That is soooooooooooooo much spam in one small area,it gives me a headache.I would exit the game and delete it instantly if that was the type of gameplay i witnessed.

I had a MUCH different vision of what Crowfall might be but this is way worse.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Rhoklaw said:
    As much as people hated the crowd control in DAoC, after watching these videos, I now fully understand the importance of it. Without crowd control, battles ended up as stalemates constantly. Of course, I could be mistaking the lack of cooperation going on for what seems like an endless battle, who knows, lol.
    Crowd control can sometimes give less skilled players a better chance as well. In Darkfall the wall of force was seen as a nuisance but without it many noobs would have been further destroyed by better players. 

Utinni said:
    Agree, it kills me we had better character customization in 2002 than the 5 models we get now days. 
    Sounds like you didn't even get far enough to slot disciplines or reach the promotion class split...  laughable assessment.   Starting runes is probably a post launch patch at this point but is still talked about, only gives small adjustments to stats relative to gear but is a min/max piece.
    edited February 2020
    Wizardry said:
    My lord,that video game play looks way worse than i could have imagined...sad really sad.
    I cannot fathom the attraction to this sort of gameplay,is it because many people are very bad at pvp so when there are a pile of players on screen they can sort of hide in the shadows?
    That is soooooooooooooo much spam in one small area,it gives me a headache.I would exit the game and delete it instantly if that was the type of gameplay i witnessed.

I had a MUCH different vision of what Crowfall might be but this is way worse.

Single stationary tactical objective inside a structure with 3 large entrances...   the fort battle. I have more fun on the approach and getting through the walls when things are spread out and your making the preliminary probes and there is lots of small skirmishing.  Crowfall is adding caravans which will be an open field constantly moving tactical objective which will mean a rolling fight crossing a zone. There are choices in which tactical objective you want to conquer.  But really Wizardry, aren't you barking here with no intention of ever putting skin in any PvP game, your a self admitted PvE player.   You can declare yourself the ruler of God's Reach and pwn mobs.