Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

JRPGs I'd Love To See Re-Imagined As MMOs - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageJRPGs I'd Love To See Re-Imagined As MMOs - MMORPG.com

As Bradford is installing Phantasy Star Online 2, an MMO based on an JRPG he loved played on his Gamecube years prior, it got him thinking: What other JRPG worlds would make for a good MMO? Here are his thoughts.

Read the full story here

Ungood

Comments

• XenokevXenokev Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Shadowrun from snes and genesis days with the computer hacking from genesis, Secret of Mana with 1-3 player parties, Suikoden, Breath of Fire, The 7th Saga, Shin Megami & Persona Series
    HengistValdheim
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Valkyria Chronicles, but that's based on the quality of the game as much as the MMO potential. Two faction RvR of course. I doubt media journalists would love a World War MMO mind you. :)
    Valdheim
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    no more weeb games  :o
    AeanderPuReDusTPanther2103momintimcheyanerojoArcueid
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited February 2020
    Fire Emblem, Persona, Xenoblade, Tales, YS, and Trails would be the big ones for me.
  • DafAtRandomDafAtRandom Member UncommonPosts: 125
    edited February 2020
    Lunar...still one of my favorites, and people could eventually go to the moon !

The Suikoden series would be perfect for a RvRvR game... And finally...Shining Force anyone ? Feels like its style and setting could fit as well...
    ShadowStyleBangerbeaver
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Skies of Arcadia of course.....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    lotrloreGrend
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2020
    Based on past history of mmos based on JRPGs i say none.

- Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine, remember that one from 2008? long gone.
    - Record of Lodoss War Online (based on a Japanese tabletop RPG), dead.
    - Wizardry Online by SOE, that one died young.
    - Digimon masters online, maintenance mode on Steam with a small playerbase. TemTem will probably kill it.
    - Langrisser online... mobile.

I'm sure i'm missing a couple.

The only 2 mmos based on JRPGs that i can think of which are both alive and still successful are Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star Online 2.
    UngoodSarlainfomatz

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2020
    Kind of unfortunate that the old SMT online game shut down since I did want an online persona game.

I would expand this topic a bit more broadly and say certain features of certain games even if its not the entire games themselves, like the whole armor transformation of legend of dragoon or summoning robots like in the xeno games (even though a couple of games tried to do both like S.U.N. having pretty much a 'dragoon' and RF Online letting you pilot mechs). AND MORE MMORPGS WITH SCHOOL SETTINGS DEVS!
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Skies of Arcadia
    Suikoden
    Front Mission (tactical, I know)
    Star Ocean
    ShadowStyleBGrendValdheim

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

edited February 2020
    Albatroes said:
    Kind of unfortunate that the old SMT online game shut down since I did want an online persona game.

I would expand this topic a bit more broadly and say certain features of certain games even if its not the entire games themselves, like the whole armor transformation of legend of dragoon or summoning robots like in the xeno games (even though a couple of games tried to do both like S.U.N. having pretty much a 'dragoon' and RF Online letting you pilot mechs). AND MORE MMORPGS WITH SCHOOL SETTINGS DEVS!

SMT: Imagine was a bit generic but the few things they took from the main SMT series made me like it for a while. I was actually sad when it shut down though i was not surprised since Aeria Games was behind it.

I kind of miss S.U.N as well. It was one of those mmos (along with Cabal 1) i would always fall back to when i didn't want to play anything else.

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Dragon Warrior!
    SensaisschruppArgost
    Geeky said:
    Dragon Warrior!

I don't know if Square Enix would want to cannibalize FFXI and FFXIV with a third mmorpg. Maybe when FFXI dies out.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Geeky said:

Dragon Warrior!

I don't know if Square Enix would want to cannibalize FFXI and FFXIV with a third mmorpg. Maybe when FFXI dies out.

They already have an MMORPG based on that universe called Dragon Quest X (or would be Dragon Warrior X in the rest of the world if it came out here).
    rojoArcueid
    edited February 2020

Geeky said:

Dragon Warrior!

They already have an MMORPG based on that universe called Dragon Quest X (or would be Dragon Warrior X in the rest of the world if it came out here).

So that's why they jumped from Dragon Quest IX to DQXI in the single player series. It makes more sense now. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: just googled it and it's only in Japan, but has crossplay with all platforms, even the Switch. Damn...
    sschrupp

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    I would love to give DQX a spin.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081
    edited February 2020
    Chrono Trigger/Cross Star Ocean Xenogears/Saga/Blade Tales of..
    Valdheim
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,165
    Same for me, DQ and Chrono series. DQ10 is not available in the western market unfortunately.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• momintimmomintim Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Baten Kaitos was one of the main reasons i purchased a GC in the first place.
    Grendlotrlore
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I'll list the only jrpgs I like and I think would make awesome mmorpgs - Etrian Odyssey and Strangers of Sword City.

Fallout would make an awesome mmorpg. So would Might&Magic. A real Drakensang Mmorpg would too, especially one ion the vein of the Realms of Arkania trilogy. A Wasteland mmorpg based of WL2 would be great.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Is Dark Souls a JRPG? Technically made by Japanese company and an RPG so, sure?

If so, my answer is Dark Souls.

Be such a cool universe to explore further. PvP already thematically appropriate with Covenants. Already "kind of" an MMO in that if you play it online, you can and do run into random people, sometimes to fight, sometimes just their ghost... or on purpose for jolly cooperation!

Honestly I'm just hoping Elden Ring is more like open world Dark Souls with better/easier/bigger co-op without also forcing the PvP, which while fun, is way too meta.
    Ungood
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    Golden sun....
    WhiteLantern
  • ziabatsuziabatsu Member UncommonPosts: 150
    edited February 2020
    Dark Souls Online (an mmorpg, not just regular dark souls online :P)
    BadSpock
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The SaGa series. They did do a modest 3Derizing of it with water color textures, but the game play was limited.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Lunar
    Star Ocean
    Xenoblade
    theres a few others but id say right now these would be my top 3.
  • TeakStrangiatoTeakStrangiato Member UncommonPosts: 34
    The Trails series would be probably work the best, it has by far the most fully developed world out of all JRPGs