Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path of Exile Releases ExileCon Video Discussing Mechanics and Fan Questions - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imagePath of Exile Releases ExileCon Video Discussing Mechanics and Fan Questions - MMORPG.com

Grinding Gear Games released another ExileCon video earlier, this time featuring a discussion on mechanics in Path of Exile.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Arkangel32Arkangel32 Member UncommonPosts: 83
    My questions: Why can't the camera be zoomed out more, make the game more playable. Can we cut back on the Spike damage a little?
  • BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403

My questions: Why can't the camera be zoomed out more, make the game more playable. Can we cut back on the Spike damage a little?

Personally I don't think you need to zoom out anymore, plenty of builds can off screen kill you don't really need a bigger field of view.

In regards to spike damage the only real way to counter it is with block and armour for mitigation, personally never found evasion very good.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    The camera zoom out limit is so dumb.  So many attacks in the game have way more range than what that terribly puny camera zoom out size has.  I keep dying to offscreen crap because of it and every once in a while even feel kinda claustrophobic after a session of playing other action RPGs like Grim Dawn that actually let me zoom the camera out far enough to see things beyond my nose.
    Arkangel32ZenJelly

Tiamat64 said:

The camera zoom out limit is so dumb.  So many attacks in the game have way more range than what that terribly puny camera zoom out size has.  I keep dying to offscreen crap because of it and every once in a while even feel kinda claustrophobic after a session of playing other action RPGs like Grim Dawn that actually let me zoom the camera out far enough to see things beyond my nose.

Completely agree!
    I use windowed mode and change the height of my window making it shorter and I leave the Width the entire width of my screen. This enables me to see farther out on the sides and it feels SO MUCH BETTER being able to see the monsters at least a little more than what I could before.

I believe that players would applaud allowing the camera to zoom out, it just feels so much better than what it is now.
    Current Zoom View = No ability to evaluate what the monster is, I cannot mouse over a rare or unique to evaluate its abilities, getting melted or one shot because I cannot see anything ahead of me.

Whatever their reason is for not allowing us to zoom out more is, it probably is not a good reason.

Personally I don't think you need to zoom out anymore, plenty of builds can off screen kill you don't really need a bigger field of view.

In regards to spike damage the only real way to counter it is with block and armour for mitigation, personally never found evasion very good.

When we say the camera should be zoomed out, it is not so we can kill what is off screen. Yes many attacks kill off screen monsters. While that is awesome and fun, it would actually be more impressive to see what I am killing and how many. This information is valuable in assessing situations, will I live or die based off of prior experience or situations.
    Zooming out the camera gives the player MORE information so the player can use that information to be useful and beneficial to their play style.

Yes Armor and high health can mitigate the spike damage, yet it is still there. I am well familiar with how to get by using mitigation however, one shot spike damage hits from off screen mobs is a horrible mechanic and design. I had no trouble at all with a T11 map the other night and there was 1 ranged monster who was off the screen, I could not see it, I could not mouse over it to see what its mods are and it one shot me. I tried to go back 2-3 times and got one shot. The only time I was able to see it's mods was after I died. Even still the mods did not help me understand what was killing me in one shot except a colorful animation.

Reduce the sudden Spike damage, and allow us to zoom out the camera, and this would alleviate a lot of frustration for a player and encourage more people to play.

I cannot imagine any reason good enough to keep the players at such a disadvantage using these kind of mechanics.

Using Wide Screen view is a nice trick which makes the game feel a lot better, but not a solution. I still cannot see up and down much.
    ZenJelly
    Devs: MAKE IT FAIR, if the monsters can hit you from off screen, AND KILL YOU in one shot, then make it fair, allow the camera to zoom out so I can see them.

It is NOT fair at all a monster can shoot you before you can see it.
    This is not difficult, 0.o
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    While I think PoE is a great game, I do wish they would low the damage numbers around the board. There are a few builds around that are all but immortal if you keep an eye on which map modifiers are active, but in general the game is still very RIPPY. 

Things that one or 2 shot you out of no where with no time to react. And players clearing entire screens in one push of a button. I miss the days when the game was a bit more slower paced and less insta kill everything or be insta killed.