Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fractured Stress Test Underway, But Character Creation Available Now to All - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageFractured Stress Test Underway, But Character Creation Available Now to All - MMORPG.com

Character creation for sandbox MMORPG, Fractured, is now open.

Read the full story here

Comments

• PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Is Fractured just another “gankbox”?

It’s not. We’ve always felt that sandbox MMOs tend to discourage players who don’t appreciate hostile interactions. Because of this, we have designed a unique universe that will allow you to choose whether to start in a brutal open-PvP environment (Tartaros), a solely cooperative one (Arboreus) or a mix of the two (Syndesia), according to your race of choice. Travels between planets and interactions with other races will be possible, but subject to limitations.

This part caught my interest. I love sandbox games like ArcheAge, but I think they're ruined by PvP. So I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

It'll be very interesting to see which server turns out to be the most popular.
    [Deleted User]ThupliAlomarStoneRosesTacticalZombeh
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Pesky said:

Is Fractured just another “gankbox”?

It’s not. We’ve always felt that sandbox MMOs tend to discourage players who don’t appreciate hostile interactions. Because of this, we have designed a unique universe that will allow you to choose whether to start in a brutal open-PvP environment (Tartaros), a solely cooperative one (Arboreus) or a mix of the two (Syndesia), according to your race of choice. Travels between planets and interactions with other races will be possible, but subject to limitations.

This part caught my interest. I love sandbox games like ArcheAge, but I think they're ruined by PvP. So I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

It'll be very interesting to see which server turns out to be the most popular.

Ty for posting this. I had written the game off as pvp survival.

What exactly are you playing against on the pve server? How deadly is the environment?
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    One to keep an eye on for sure.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Arterius said:

This game seems to develop quickly and nicely. Each testing phase seems to add a lot to the game. When I heard about this game I kind of chuckled and wrote it off. Crazy to think that it seems to be developing at a faster pace then a lot of other kickstarter MMO's with 5+ years of development time.

I am def keeping a eye on this game to see how it progresses as it interested me anyways. 

Also def going to log in on the 6th to see where they are at. They must be pretty confident to open the floodgates so soon

Its.....very okay? I mean I realize it's got a long way to go still but it's just not very engaging. You load into the world, try to find an open plot...maybe gather materials to craft some stuff and then.....nothing. You just aimlessly wander and hope you don't die in the process to mobs that are randomly placed throughout the world and not in any sort of level-zone configuration.
    Ozmodan
  • RagemasterRagemaster Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Theres 7 design journals or so released so far go check them out. Here the one regarding the three planets the alignment and pvp system. https://fracturedmmo.com/feature-spotlight-6-pvp-alignment-crime/ it sounds like a mix of uos trammel felucca and star wars galaxies TEF system both came to mind when reading the description. Also really seems like their bringing back the whole pk anti pk thing from yesteryear very excited.

There will be three planets a good planet of beast men a neutral planet of humans and the evil demon planet aka free for all. 1 planet for Representing each alignment. Pve players will want to stay on the beast man planet which is the positive alignment planet. Good players can never harm other good players on the good planet for example but will be rewarded for confronting and defeating evil players on the neutral world if they so choose to take that increased risk to going to the neutral aligned world.

Neutral world sounds like its gonna be a political heavy meta a typical sandbox with justice system setup. Pvp with consequences and attempt to curb griefing.

Evil world is gonna be the gank box setup we see in games like darkfall and mortal. No consequences for pking other evils and neutrals anything goes.

To solve the issue of cross planetary escapades, the opposite alignments beastmen and demons will not be able to stay for longer then a half hour or so on each others planets and will be super debuffed in pvp it sounds like. So if your gonna roll a demon and try and go to the good planet to gank carebeaes you'll find a) your debuffed to shit b) all the players and the environment itself is out to purge you. Your literally an invasive species to the planet.

The human world being a bridge between the two will have a mix of beast men and demons as it's more of a middle ground. But beastmen being there will be open to more risk and demons will have to deal with more rules.
    Kalafax
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Still has pvp which is a complete ruin for PVE.pvp/pve zones means some players,likely most would not be using 1/3 or half the game area.A MIXED zone lol,NOT going to work,how the heck do you have a mixed zone,it is either pvp or it is not.

If they debuff races then that would look/feel dumb,again i point to immersion,your this no wait now your this no that no this.Trying to make pvp work is always what this comes down to,pvp DOES NOT work and NEVER will within a rpg environment.Stubborn developers "lot's of them" simply don't get it.

I do like the idea of planets though,been asking for that for a long time but sounds like this game will simply not deliver.
    biaxil

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Whats with that picture though? They look like humans with an animal mask on their head. Gives me an uncomfortable furry vibe.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Deyirn said:
    There need to be things like Neverwinter Online's foundry where players can design quests for other players to play. 
    ...NWN foundry is an example why no game should have anything like that.

Mostly unused, easily abused,discontinued feature - wasted development effort.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,979
    edited February 2020

Gdemami said:

Deyirn said:
    There need to be things like Neverwinter Online's foundry where players can design quests for other players to play. 

...NWN foundry is an example why no game should have anything like that.

Mostly unused, easily abused,discontinued feature - wasted development effort.

Once again you defend anything a MMO developer decides to do. The idea that players can add to their game as content creators is a great one. Of course there are issues, its a rarely tried out system that adds a lot of variables to the mix. But it can add a lot to a MMO, theme parks included, the mission generator in CoH while just doing missions worked well in a theme park.
    edited February 2020
    Scot said:
    Once again you defend anything a MMO developer decides to do. 
    ...I am not defending developers, I am defending common sense.

More often than not, when it is devs(corp) vs players, it is devs(corp) that make more sense.

The idea of user generated content is indeed great, the reality though is very ugly. Just like only few of us are gifted to be good painters, there are only few to be good designers, vast majority of user generated content will be trash.

An idea, that being a gamer qualify you as a designer/developer (or games made by gamers for gamers silliness alike) is common self-delusion, especially on these boards.
    Sovrathcheeba
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Gdemami said:
    Scot said:
    Once again you defend anything a MMO developer decides to do. 
    ...I am not defending developers, I am defending common sense.

More often than not, when it is devs(corp) vs players, it is devs(corp) that make more sense.

The idea of user generated content is indeed great, the reality though is very ugly. Just like only few of us are gifted to be good painters, there are only few to be good designers, vast majority of user generated content will be trash.

An idea, that being a gamer qualify you as a designer/developer (or games made by gamers for gamers silliness alike) is common self-delusion, especially on these boards.
    I think it's fine for players to make content, no matter the level. The issue as I see it is when something is made to exploit the game.
    ScotTacticalZombeh
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    I think it's fine for players to make content, no matter the level. 
    ...no point creating content you cannot use.

Also, like I said, it is wasted development time.
  • WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495

Gdemami said:

Sovrath said:

Yeah I liked when the NWN dev's said robes couldn't be done with the current engine and a player released a mod that added them within a month of release.
  • biaxilbiaxil Member UncommonPosts: 35

Wizardry said:

Still has pvp which is a complete ruin for PVE.pvp/pve zones means some players,likely most would not be using 1/3 or half the game area.A MIXED zone lol,NOT going to work,how the heck do you have a mixed zone,it is either pvp or it is not.

If they debuff races then that would look/feel dumb,again i point to immersion,your this no wait now your this no that no this.Trying to make pvp work is always what this comes down to,pvp DOES NOT work and NEVER will within a rpg environment.Stubborn developers "lot's of them" simply don't get it.

I do like the idea of planets though,been asking for that for a long time but sounds like this game will simply not deliver.

The gaul of non-pvp players to suggest that pvp in rpgs don't work and should not exist. They only have problems because people like yourself decide to play them, and then complain about them, and try to have the devs change the game to be something you like, when the game wasn't made for you in the first place. Go back to anyone of the vast group of pve only themeparks you came from.

Loved EQ Classic and hates that carebears had it changed.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,979
    Gdemami said:
    Sovrath said:

When you see what modders can do you have a very limited vision of what they can offer to a MMO, for you the developer is always right, players do nothing but whinge. I have played good missions by other players in CoH they were not stellar but that's down to the tools. In something like FO some modders create stuff up there with the best the games have to offer.
    Gdemami
    edited February 2020
    Scot said:
    for you the developer is always right, players do nothing but whinge
    ...no, just once again, common sense is on dev's side.

You are just talking, without thinking it through at all and just ignoring everything anyone else says.....back to loling posts...
    Ozmodan
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    biaxil said:

Wizardry said:

The gaul of non-pvp players to suggest that pvp in rpgs don't work and should not exist. They only have problems because people like yourself decide to play them, and then complain about them, and try to have the devs change the game to be something you like, when the game wasn't made for you in the first place. Go back to anyone of the vast group of pve only themeparks you came from.

To be fair, I don't think Wiz plays any of the games he talks shit on.  If it isn't FFXI or unreal tournament, it's trash to him.  Isometric view = trash.  Good story = linear gameplay = trash.  No AAA graphics = trash.

Just try to ignore him as he rarely brings anything meaningful to the conversation.  Neither do I, but I'm at least aware of that.
    TacticalZombehbiaxil
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Wow just played this and all I can say is I dodged a bullet on this one. Would be a bit annoyed if I had kickstarted this one
  • bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Played it for a bit. I understand it's a stress test weekend. Also that it is very early alpha. But if they simply polish the systems in place it wont really bring anything new to the world of berry picking sims. Might be worth keeping an eye on.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    This is smart they are catering to all types of play styles. Good for them. I might try the PvP with consequences will have to wait and see how the game develops it. Otherwise there is always the PvE playstyle.