Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OPINION: Blizzard's Warcraft 3 Reforged Response is Unacceptable - MMORPG.com

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Awesome that people can get the game refunded, now how does that fix my completely messed up and broken OG W3 client? Ohh wait, it doesn’t....

I won’t even get started on the retconned EULA. A nice “thank you” to their community.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AlbatroesKyleran[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    Just a friendly reminder: never, ever, ever preorder games.
    Welcome to the forums! :D
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Utinni said:
    laserit said:
    Utinni said:
    You can get an instant refund for WC3:Reforged. I'd only call their response unacceptable if they didn't allow refunds. Do you want them to apologize to you personally for the product you don't have to buy?

All the people raging over games these days. Vote with your wallet.
    I pretty much agree

They are giving refunds, that’s the proper way to deal with an unsatisfied customer.

What I find sad is that they’re subcontracting out to China to maximize their roi/profits. So far it doesn’t seem to be working very well for them. Interesting also that Diablo Immortal hasn’t got a release date as of yet. Makes me wonder if they’ve gotten more than they have bargained for. 
    A lot of subcontracting out to Chinese companies is so they can sell the game there too. If they just wanted cheap dev labor they could use a few other much cheaper countries. Blizzard itself cannot operate in China. Battle.net is even blocked by the country's firewall.
    If that’s the case then why does your country allow Chinese imports?

answer: because it isn’t Chinese companies selling Chinese products, its American companies selling American products made in China to maximize profits.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2020
    Utinni said:
    Albatroes said:

Utinni said:

You can get an instant refund for WC3:Reforged. I'd only call their response unacceptable if they didn't allow refunds. Do you want them to apologize to you personally for the product you don't have to buy?

Is it really that simple? As I posted in the other thread, this does more that affect the people that bought this garbage version. The people who had the classic version via b-net got affected too. They might be able to get a refund (I haven't followed) but they're still out a full game they had for at least a decade. I think the most important lesson out of all of this is that we don't OWN anything as long as its tied to requiring launchers etc since they can just change it or worse make it so we can't even get to it again whenever they want. Its not like this is the first time its happened (see the GTA games for pc and music getting removed due to expired licensing agreements on Rockstar's part).
    The article is saying blizzards response(which is linked) is unacceptable. That's what I'm commenting on. The game sucks and is causing issues with folks who don't own it (which are addressed in blizzards response) but "unacceptable" is a stretch.

What would you have them say? What could they have posted on a forum that is acceptable?

What would have been acceptable would have telling the people that didn't purchase Reforge but still got forceably "upgraded" to the Reforge edition just for owning classic that they will get access again, but that won't happen. Again, offering refunds only helps the people that bought Reforge. You still have a separate audience that did not purchase Reforge but had classic and still got affected by all of this. Hell, even steam gives you the option to download the 'old' version of 'remastered' titles (in most cases) simply because not all 'remastered' versions are that great (see borderlands 1 and the goty/goty-enhanced editions).
    GdemamiKyleran
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    I want my old warcraft 3, just restore that then we are good. screw reforged.
    Kyleran
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Played Warcraft 3 refund campaigns to end. not sure how many hour its took, over 20 hour i guess. asked refund and got refund in 2 minute. Not much faith for Diablo 2 remake and Diablo 4...
    AlbatroesKyleran
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    laserit said:
    Utinni said:
    laserit said:
    Utinni said:

I pretty much agree

They are giving refunds, that’s the proper way to deal with an unsatisfied customer.

What I find sad is that they’re subcontracting out to China to maximize their roi/profits. So far it doesn’t seem to be working very well for them. Interesting also that Diablo Immortal hasn’t got a release date as of yet. Makes me wonder if they’ve gotten more than they have bargained for. 
    A lot of subcontracting out to Chinese companies is so they can sell the game there too. If they just wanted cheap dev labor they could use a few other much cheaper countries. Blizzard itself cannot operate in China. Battle.net is even blocked by the country's firewall.

answer: because it isn’t Chinese companies selling Chinese products, its American companies selling American products made in China to maximize profits.

It's actually Chinese companies selling American products. Since you seem unfamiliar with how publishing works in China you should probably do some research. NetEase is just as big of a company as activision/blizzard. 5% of blizzards revenue was from China last year.
    edited February 2020
    Albatroes said:
    Utinni said:
    Albatroes said:

Utinni said:

Is it really that simple? As I posted in the other thread, this does more that affect the people that bought this garbage version. The people who had the classic version via b-net got affected too. They might be able to get a refund (I haven't followed) but they're still out a full game they had for at least a decade. I think the most important lesson out of all of this is that we don't OWN anything as long as its tied to requiring launchers etc since they can just change it or worse make it so we can't even get to it again whenever they want. Its not like this is the first time its happened (see the GTA games for pc and music getting removed due to expired licensing agreements on Rockstar's part).
    The article is saying blizzards response(which is linked) is unacceptable. That's what I'm commenting on. The game sucks and is causing issues with folks who don't own it (which are addressed in blizzards response) but "unacceptable" is a stretch.

What would you have them say? What could they have posted on a forum that is acceptable?

What would have been acceptable would have telling the people that didn't purchase Reforge but still got forceably "upgraded" to the Reforge edition just for owning classic that they will get access again, but that won't happen. Again, offering refunds only helps the people that bought Reforge. You still have a separate audience that did not purchase Reforge but had classic and still got affected by all of this. Hell, even steam gives you the option to download the 'old' version of 'remastered' titles (in most cases) simply because not all 'remastered' versions are that great (see borderlands 1 and the goty/goty-enhanced editions).
    This is because they are essentially the same game. They addressed the issues with new models, textures, colors, and bugs bleeding into the original WC3. They are fixing these. You can still play the original WC3 it just has a new matchmaking system coming. This affected like 2500 people worldwide yet people who don't play WC3 or own WC3:R are complaining on the internet. 

Reforged sucks, but not because a handful of folks are currently having issues with the old game.
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    And Poorna Shankar is surprised by all of this? I don't play new games anymore and even I know not to trust presentation videos and developer claims until I see the end results for myself. Presentation videos are frequently polished beyond what you can expect of actual gameplay. Those videos build hype and get people to preorder. How often do the launched titles live up to those videos? Not often enough in my opinion.
    Honestly, Poorna Shankar should be use to this by now.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    "I'm sorry you ran into my fist, maybe you'll enjoy it better next time."
    Blaze_Rocker
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Utinni said:
    laserit said:
    Utinni said:
    laserit said:
    Utinni said:

I pretty much agree

It's actually Chinese companies selling American products. Since you seem unfamiliar with how publishing works in China you should probably do some research. NetEase is just as big of a company as activision/blizzard. 5% of blizzards revenue was from China last year.
    I don’t know a lot about publishing, but I do know a hell of a lot about manufacturing, importing and exporting of physical goods.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Aeander said:
    Just a friendly reminder: never, ever, ever preorder games.
    Unless they are published by Nintendo.  ;)
    Don't they have a no refund policy even for preordered games? I'd say be careful of any company.
    Kyleran

• ShankTheTankShankTheTank Associate Editor / News ManagerMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 217
    And Poorna Shankar is surprised by all of this? I don't play new games anymore and even I know not to trust presentation videos and developer claims until I see the end results for myself. Presentation videos are frequently polished beyond what you can expect of actual gameplay. Those videos build hype and get people to preorder. How often do the launched titles live up to those videos? Not often enough in my opinion.
    Honestly, Poorna Shankar should be use to this by now.
    Read the article in which I explicitly say, “But I’m not surprised.”
    KyleranTacticalZombeh
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited February 2020
    Utinni said:

I'm guessing even a video of the CEO falling over on his sword wouldn't satisfy the angry mob, they would just bitch he didn't suffer enough before expiring.

:D 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2020
    Utinni said:
    Albatroes said:
    Utinni said:
    Albatroes said:

Utinni said:

This is because they are essentially the same game. They addressed the issues with new models, textures, colors, and bugs bleeding into the original WC3. They are fixing these. You can still play the original WC3 it just has a new matchmaking system coming. This affected like 2500 people worldwide yet people who don't play WC3 or own WC3:R are complaining on the internet. 

Reforged sucks, but not because a handful of folks are currently having issues with the old game.

Yet they still support the original starcraft alongside the remaster.....because according to you they are obviously the same game....right....At least get educated on what the original had and what was essentially removed in Reforge before you spout non-sense about them being the same game....
  • supx2supx2 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Preordering is a practice that should be abandoned by the consumer, it just give companies the leverage of releasing unfinished/unpolished products and get away with it.
    Albatroes said:
    Utinni said:
    Albatroes said:
    Utinni said:
    Albatroes said:

Utinni said:

Yet they still support the original starcraft alongside the remaster.....because according to you they are obviously the same game....right....At least get educated on what the original had and what was essentially removed in Reforge before you spout non-sense about them being the same game....
    Educate me bb. What was "essentially" removed from wc3? They retconned some parts of the single player campaign?
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Remember even Blizzard is not your friend. 

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• nomadienomadie Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Just when you think companies were trying to stay away from the Fallout 76 treatment of games... Blizzard comes along and yells hold my beer!
    Kyleran
  • TaltosKhanTaltosKhan Member UncommonPosts: 13
    On the plus side; once I found the right spot the refund was a very easy thing to complete.
    Kyleran
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited February 2020
    How much more dissapointment can Activision Blizzard give to the lifelong fans before they crumble? As Deckard Cain would say: "This does not bode well!"

Gamers are pretty much just like junkies and there isn't a whole lot the industry could do that would stop customers from buying their electronic fix. Free to play that is more expensive than a subscription? Gambling in the form of loot boxes and other RNG systems tied to cash shops? Half baked games with sparse and or lackluster content? Rehashing old games? PC gaming getting the shaft thanks to companies pandering to the console crowd?  Pre-order fiascos that never seem to end? Yet the gaming crowd screams bloody murder even as they throw money at unscrupulous developers and distributors alike.

You see what I'm getting at?

• MowzerMowzer Member UncommonPosts: 78
    The age of false hopes, idiotic self hype and unrealistic expectations is real!!!
    Its articles like this one that have me believe we need more coronavirus in the world... 
    Aeanderbwwianakiev[Deleted User]
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    They have been making some terrible decisions lately in terms of game design choices, all that outsourcing and lack of any significant improvements to their existing products...
    Either the bloat has made them completely incompetent or they have saboteurs in their ranks.
  • Rastan1Rastan1 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Let's be real then. This was the treatment all of s got in the first year of wow when everything was broken. They made retarded money and gained first class business off this very tactic. Why are we surprised now?
    Kyleran
  • ShankTheTankShankTheTank Associate Editor / News ManagerMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 217
    Nyctelios said:
    Mowzer said:
    The age of false hopes, idiotic self hype and unrealistic expectations is real!!!
    Its articles like this one that have me believe we need more coronavirus in the world... 
    Unrealistic expectations? How so?

They advertised content (and that advertisement still up on their site) that is not on the game.

They showcased features that are not in the game.

Unrealistic expectations or false advertisement?

If a company selling any product other than video game would do that kind of thing they would face legal repercussion. Why do game companies get away with it? It's absurd.

Shh, don't feed the troll
    GdemamiKyleran