Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained Team Announces Ragnarok: Colossus, Backers Request Refund of CU and Mark Jacobs Re

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageCamelot Unchained Team Announces Ragnarok: Colossus, Backers Request Refund of CU and Mark Jacobs Responds - MMORPG.com

The Camelot Unchained team announced a new game, Ragnarok: Colossus, earlier. However, the announcement itself isn't the big news, as reaction from the community, and indeed City State Entertainment design chief Mark Jacobs' responses to the community, has taken center stage.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Sounds like CU backers just now found out what the rest of us found out a decade ago. You pay to test games now.
    Ozmodan
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    edited February 2020
    I think there is a disconnect between what makes business sense and what makes sense to the community. We see this being detrimental to players in gaming a lot, which in turn makes gaming communities suspicious this is the wrong move. If any more issues for players actually needed to be added to this we have seen other CF games do something similar and it all end up being abandoned or not a success.

I see no reason they could not have got the first game out before they started developing the new one. How well CU is doing is another matter, but if you do something like this expect questions to be asked about your original game.
    SovrathGdemami
  • black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154
    I have not backed all but one CF/Kick starter, this was not it. But 7 freaking years to not have a playable game, then you release this footage of some basic tower defense 'game', huh? And people bought into this idere in an office and wrote checks to this guy? All the staff agreed to it being a 'good' idere.

WTF he can't even pronounce words properly and people are handing over money to this guy. Seems very trust worthy to me... 100% legit rofl
    [Deleted User]GdemamiDragonJockey
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I paid in, but have never worried about the timeline. It releases when it releases and now I get a second game for free.

Don't understand what there is for donors to be upset about when their tier states ni refunds. They new signing up, the money was written off in their own minds at that time.

The biggest question is where is CU at? This announcement is not an encouraging sign that it is ready anytime soon.
    RenfailOyjordSailorMominfomatz

Scot said:

I think there is a disconnect between what makes business sense and what makes sense to the community. We see this being detrimental to players in gaming a lot, which in turn makes gaming communities suspicious this is the wrong move. If any more issues for players actually needed to be added to this we have seen other CF games do something similar and it all end up being abandoned or not a success.

I see no reason they could not have got the first game out before they started developing the new one. How well CU is doing is another matter, but if you do something like this expect questions to be asked about your original game.

The reason why is this one is simplified and streamlined off their engine. It will be way easier to push out and get a cash infusion back into the company.
    Renfail
  • DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573
    edited February 2020
    You pay, they feed on the money and take their damn time create families feed their kids go on vacations as long as money is coming in thinck about it.¹
    Gyva02
  • NekordNekord Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    This mark guy is a real super turd "owning it". What a super chump. People are going to react how people react... You took their money 7 years ago. You take a beloved game and shit all over it and the community. Watch both "games" flop... Next year, maybe.
    [Deleted User]GdemamiSailorMomOzmodan
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    well people who want a refund be ready for it to take 30+ days, i tried back in 2016 and this is what was sent back to me. I didnt purchase a top tier, i think only like 30 dollars i just said screw it, didnt want to go through all the hassle for it.

Hello,

We are sorry to hear you would like a refund! Is there any information we can give you regarding the game or concerns you would like to discuss other than the delay in the Beta?

Would you like a full or partial refund (you can go down to the lowest tier of your Backer (whether you are a Founder/Builder) Tier and still keep your status if you want)? For example, if you are a Builder, you can choose to downgrade to a Basic Builder Pledge Tier and still keep your Builder Status. The reason you might want to consider this is that once we go into Beta, the same tiers that are available now will not be available later. Thus, if you have either Founder/Builder status, at any tier level, you can always upgrade your account before the game goes LIVE. However, the choice is yours of course.

Please send us your transactionID#, full name, address, email address attached to the account (if you used a different email to make the purchase, please send us the refund request from that email for verification), and phone number. We will also need to know if you would like the refund via Paypal (can take 30 days to process and can carry fees) or by check (slower to process, but does not have fees).

GdemamiDragonJockeynatpick

DMKano said:

Thupli said:

I paid in, but have never worried about the timeline. It releases when it releases and now I get a second game for free.

Don't understand what there is for donors to be upset about when their tier states ni refunds. They new signing up, the money was written off in their own minds at that time.

The biggest question is where is CU at? This announcement is not an encouraging sign that it is ready anytime soon.

CU has missed the window of opportunity -  now, if it ever releases, it will be completely irrelevant. 

So you can safely scratch CU off the list - it's a lost cause.

The reality is - city state is incapable of doing anything on time or that is worth doing.

Tower defense game.... lol, seriously?

Disagree on timelines, but who knows?
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    edited February 2020
    AN ARTICLE!!!!  HALLELUJAH!!!!

PS: The game is not called Ragnarok:Colossus but I'll let @ShankTheTank go do some research to see what the name is.   So embarrassing...  3 days late and gets the name wrong. /sigh
    [Deleted User]RenfailJamesGoblin

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Studio says its going to make a PvP game, then decides to put out a PvE game first. 

It's almost like they want to survive as a studio.  :D :D
    mklinicKajidourdenKyleraninfomatz
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

DMKano said:

Thupli said:

CU has missed the window of opportunity -  now, if it ever releases, it will be completely irrelevant. 

So you can safely scratch CU off the list - it's a lost cause.

The reality is - city state is incapable of doing anything on time or that is worth doing.

Tower defense game.... lol, seriously?

I disagree on the window part. The systems being offer are (were?) pretty special.

Regardless this whole thing is sad to see.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    edited February 2020
    Ya know.. it's a damn good thing these game designers are not as spiteful as I would be, because if I was making a game, and got a secured backer that waved money in my face and wanted me to add some stuff, I think I would do it, and for the people that wanted a refund, I would keep their info on file  and not only lock their accounts from any deals or offers, I'd also charge them a 75% re-processing fee if they wanted to buy the game again.

Which might also be why I was not allowed to work in billings.

cameltosisGdemamiRenfailMcSleaz
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Arterius said:

PS: The game is not called Ragnarok:Colossus but I'll let @ShankTheTank go do some research to see what the name is.   So embarrassing...  3 days late and gets the name wrong. /sigh

Exactly my thought haha
    All the article was missing was a quote from Chrissy Teigen and a part telling us that Twitter "clapped-back" and it could have come from Yahoo.
    Renfail[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

DMKano said:
    Ungood said:
    Ya know.. it's a damn good thing these game designers are not as spiteful as I would be, because if I was making a game, and got a secured backer that waved money in my face and wanted me to add some stuff, I think I would do it, and for the people that wanted a refund, I would keep their info on file  and not only lock their accounts from any deals or offers, I'd also charge them a 75% re-processing fee if they wanted to buy the game again.

Which might also be why I was not allowed to work in billings.

Haha yeah actually doing this would ensure that you would never work as a game developer period.

MMO Game devs have to bow down to players even if they cant stand the thought of it, such is the nature of designing the gamea for masses.

Funcom says hi
    IselinUngood
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Arterius said:

Exactly my thought haha
    All the article was missing was a quote from Chrissy Teigen and a part telling us that Twitter "clapped-back" and it could have come from Yahoo.
    It's kind of a stupid name anyway. May as well get the big words in there, not that it will matter. Ostracizing your player base is rarely the way to be successful. 

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    It looks like bankers have discovered gaming. Take all the money and deliver nothing in return. Keep doing it year after year. Leeches.
    Panzerbeorne39

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    Thupli said:

Scot said:

The reason why is this one is simplified and streamlined off their engine. It will be way easier to push out and get a cash infusion back into the company.
    What CF MMO thought the same thing about a BR or Voxel version of their game? This sort of idea has bad form for CF MMO's it seems to me not worth the risk.
    Gdemami
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Wow.....not a backer but I had higher expectations than for them to go to the ashes of creation route. The big difference? Ashes wasn't accepting refunds, City-State is......they're boned.
  • black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154
    After reading his responses to people in the comments of that MOP article, why do I get the feeling he is the type of boss that drives into the office in one of his 6 figure automobiles at 10-11am, parks, and as he is walking to the door he is rubbing his nose excessively...

• hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    stop feeding these sort of project...
    they all have a place in graveyard before their release...
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    edited February 2020
    I have many conflicting feelings about this.

CU is still the only MMORPG that im looking forwards to. Established western devs have stopped making new mmos, all we have is indie mmos in the pipeline and CU is the only one that interests me. So, whilst I'm annoyed at how long it has taken to develop, I can continue to wait because its not like there are any other mmos taking my attention. Additionally, the design of CU is attempting to fix many things I view as fundamentally wrong with mmo design, whereas most of games in development are just repeating the same mistakes of the past.

Also, Mark has said that this new investment money for Ragnarok is going to benefit the development of CU, by having additional staff working on the engine and being able to port some of the NPC work from Ragnarok into CU. If that is genuinely the case, then this is good news for CU.

On Ragnarok itself, its not really my sort of thing yet.

However, I'm a big fan of LARGE SCALE content. In the demo in the livestream, we can already see 1000s of NPCs on the battlefield, ready to be slaughtered. Granted, the combat looked shallow as fuck and the NPCs didn't do much, just swarm, but those things should get improved over time. Once the enemies get more diversity, more abilities, more decision making, and once the player progression is added in, it has the potential to be a fun game (at least for a few hours).

What is encouraging to me is knowing, for definite, that the unchained engine can definitely handle 100s of players in the same battle, and now can handle 1000s of NPCs in the same battle. As a fan of large scale content, that is great!

Just imagine all those cool movie or tv battles you see all the time but could never be a part of. the limits on player numbers or npcs means we have never really been given that sense of scale, we have a very small part in it. But imagine, say, the battle of helms deep where literally every single defender and attacker is represented and played out on the battlefield! Maybe there are 100 real players on the defenders team, so between us we can have a meaningful impact. Or, take the battlefield series, but instead of being limited to 128 players and no npcs, we instead have 500 players and 10,000 npcs so we can actually simulate a proper war. Like, playing through the D Day landings with real life numbers of participants.

I doubt ragnarok will give us those experiences, but it's the start of the process to get there and has the potential to give us some basic versions of those experiences.

SensaiMendelUngood
  • LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Beware Patheon ROTF backers, this is our future and present.
    Gdemami
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    Ltldogg said:
    Beware Patheon ROTF backers, this is our future and present.
    No, please don't say that.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited February 2020
    Wow.....not a backer but I had higher expectations than for them to go to the ashes of creation route. The big difference? Ashes wasn't accepting refunds, City-State is......they're boned.
     Not even a close comparison product wise. Ashes has a good looking game backers are playing and buying cosmetics. 

What Jacobs has here after 7 years looks like a handful of people from this site could do in a year.
    GdemamiThupli
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"