Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BioWare Veterans Form Archetype Entertainment to Create Sci-fi RPG - MMORPG.com News

2»

Comments

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Feels somewhat weird they are going for a sci fi rpg with the bioware background given their latest track record with them.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    IDK why someone would try and post KOTOR to me,this is WOTC,idc who they hire it is still WOTC a developer i have NO confidence in because everything they have touched has turned to CHEAP,SUPER cheap lazy efforts.
    https://www.pcgamer.com/wizards-of-the-coast-announces-story-driven-rpg-studio-led-by-ex-bioware-vets/

I should perhaps paint a picture of WOTC because i go way way back with them.So obviously known for MTG...MTGO,well a number of years ago they made their first MTGO game "2002" but was designed by Leaping Lizard software.Well being as cheap as they come WOTC decided they could handle the game on their own and let Leaping Lizard go,too cheap to pay them.
    What ensued was utter chaos,WOTC had no clue what they were doing ,could not handle bug reports,glitches massive problems that angered MANY a player.

What followed after were other MTG products all looked like some weekend warrior Indie dev made them.

As long as WOTC is tied to a product,it is almost a guarantee this will be a lackluster effort.Besides that KOTOR was never very good either.So far we don't even know if they have much of a team,likely never will have much of a team because this will be a low cost effort and likely ends up as an EARLY access for sale game,i would bet on it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Story driven is definitely the way to go. Always.

I'm tired of open world busywork mediocrity.
    Scotcheyane
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2020

Wizardry said:

"story driven"
    So very linear,lockouts and side quests.A whole bunch of connect the dots,hand holding and watching cutscenes.

Call me when they are serious about making a modern game and not something from the 80/90's.

Replay VALUE,longevity VALUE,in depth systems VALUE,deep character progression,OPEN ended game play and not linear paths to an end game.Show me some EFFORT,well unless you don't want my money.
    I don't give 5/10 games a 9.5/10 like websites or paid people do,i EXPECT a great game or it's just vaporware to me.So far there is nothing that sounds great.

You could at least mention an example of an existing game that has the features you are demanding while also missing the things you criticized. And don't mention any mmorpgs, this will be a single player game.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Good luck to them!
    Scot
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    It would be nice to see something along the lines of Mass Effect again. Only this time done properly.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I think the only thing I really liked by them was the first Dragon Age, but I may have forgotten something. I wasn't impressed with the Mass Effect games at all.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Mass Effect 2 was one of the best RPGs ever made, in my opinion. So, the death of Bioware is definitely something I'll mourn. 
    Iselinxpsynccloudacv
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    cheyane said:
    A scifi RPG I would like that very much. James Ohlen worked 22 years for Bioware has Dragon Age Origins for a credit to his success and was with them even during the time of Baldur's Gate. I am optimistic and since it is a single player game without the many pitfalls that could come with an MMORPG even more so. Let's hope for a good game.
    I love this snippet about him from an article on Games Informer:

Referred to as "the godfather of BioWare design" by former co-worker Kevin Martens, who now works as a lead designer for the Diablo franchise for Blizzard, Ohlen's origin story is a great one. BioWare founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk originally heard about Ohlen because of his dungeon master skills. When he wasn't running a comic book store, he ran two legendary D&D campaigns that each had a waiting list. Those talents translated well into his work at BioWare, where he started testing on Shattered Steel but quickly earned the lead design role for Baldur's Gate, the RPG that eventually put the company on the map. 

His D&D roots are deep.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited February 2020
    Anything even close to the Mass Effect series will be 100% welcome.

Played through each of the trilogy versions at least twice (paragon/renegade) well 1 and 2 more than twice actually.

It's about the only time where a well written intriguing novel was a playable game.

I read all the rl novels which were all excellent, well the ones written by Drew Karpyshyn, the 4th was meh, ok. The actual rl novels were side stories more less within the ME universe and were not reflective of the trilogy of games entirely.

So you had 3 excellent paperback reads and 3 games which were playable novels in their storytelling.

The best thing about the 3rd game was all the fan appreciation nods for those whom read all the books, the payoff was huge in the 3rd game.

tbh it's not like i hated the 4th game, but i didn't finish it either, it lost something for sure.

Here's hoping.

Iselin
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
    xpsync said:

Played through each of the trilogy versions at least twice (paragon/renegade) well 1 and 2 more than twice actually.

It's about the only time where a well written intriguing novel was a playable game.

I read all the rl novels which were all excellent, well the ones written by Drew Karpyshyn, the 4th was meh, ok. The actual rl novels were side stories more less within the ME universe and were not reflective of the trilogy of games entirely.

So you had 3 excellent paperback reads and 3 games which were playable novels in their storytelling.

The best thing about the 3rd game was all the fan appreciation nods for those whom read all the books, the payoff was huge in the 3rd game.

tbh it's not like i hated the 4th game, but i didn't finish it either, it lost something for sure.

Here's hoping.

I re-play the first 3 every couple of years.

And TBH, I found enough to like in Andromeda to finish it although, I have to say, only once for that one :) The combat and class-builds were actually better in that one than the previous 3, IMO.
    xpsync
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

Iselin said:

I don't know much about Robertson but Ohlen is a very heavy hitter who was with Bioware right from the start.

The game that made Bioware, the original Baldur's Gate, was his as were KotoR and DA.

Robertson was the director of live service for SWTOR and then Anthem.

And Ohlen didn't finish DAO, he was the original director on SWTOR which started pre-production in 2006 (DAO released in Nov 2009). After that, he was director on a cancelled multiplayer 4 vs 1 game (Shadow Realms) after SWTOR released and was named studio creative director where he got to decided what kind of games BioWare was making. The games started under him are: SWTOR KOTXX expacs, MEA and Anthem.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    I look forward to any good Sci-Fi game.

Have fun
  • MaridMarid Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Holy cow!! Stop the presses!! Two guys that use to work for a company just announced that they wanna make a game! OMG...this is BIG! They say it'll be a Sci-Fi RPG game...can anybody say "undead alien monsters"?! WooHoo! My guy is going to be a hot brunette chic with an overtuned plasma gun...pew, pew, pew!! Huh? They used to work at Bioware? I see. In that case, I prolly won't be able to play a hot brunette chic with an overtuned plasma gun...

Man, I'm loving the Chinese and the Koreans more and more with each passing day! <3

Iselin
    Marid said:
    Holy cow!! Stop the presses!! Two guys that use to work for a company just announced that they wanna make a game! OMG...this is BIG! They say it'll be a Sci-Fi RPG game...can anybody say "undead alien monsters"?! WooHoo! My guy is going to be a hot brunette chic with an overtuned plasma gun...pew, pew, pew!! Huh? They used to work at Bioware? I see. In that case, I prolly won't be able to play a hot brunette chic with an overtuned plasma gun...

Man, I'm loving the Chinese and the Koreans more and more with each passing day! <3

Says the person who actually paid money to buy a POS like Astelia only to complain about the graphics and not the Eastern MMO trademark lolis. Now THAT is funny.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Iselin said:
    Marid said:

Says the person who actually paid money to buy a POS like Astelia only to complain about the graphics and not the Eastern MMO trademark lolis. Now THAT is funny.
    Lolis as pets no less. Pedo creeper mmo.
  • MaridMarid Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Iselin said:
    Marid said:

I did...so what? After many years of shunning it, I'm just now looking into the MMO market again. Things have only gotten worse since we've been away. I never imagined that a company would have the audacity to bring a game that failed in Korea into the NA market. But, I got my money back, so I'm good. GW2 will be our last MMO; after that, it'll be nothing but single player games for us from that point on...but none from Bioware, Electronic Arts, Gearbox, Obsidian Entertainment, Paradox Interactive, Ubisoft, et al.

ps...Your attacks are feeble and your snark is crude and ineffective.
    IselinGdemami
    Marid said:
    Iselin said:
    Marid said:

I did...so what? After many years of shunning it, I'm just now looking into the MMO market again. Things have only gotten worse since we've been away. I never imagined that a company would have the audacity to bring a game that failed in Korea into the NA market. But, I got my money back, so I'm good. GW2 will be our last MMO; after that, it'll be nothing but single player games for us from that point on...but none from Bioware, Electronic Arts, Gearbox, Obsidian Entertainment, Paradox Interactive, Ubisoft, et al.

ps...Your attacks are feeble and your snark is crude and ineffective.
    What? You can allude to the whole Bioware SJW (or is it woke/broke? I forget what you people say) thing but you can't take a counter jab about the loli thing? That's also funny.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited February 2020
    Iselin said:
    xpsync said:

Here's hoping.

I re-play the first 3 every couple of years.

And TBH, I found enough to like in Andromeda to finish it although, I have to say, only once for that one :) The combat and class-builds were actually better in that one than the previous 3, IMO.

Do you find they feel dated now? I've contemplated doing this a few times over the years :) hehe, and i'm on the fence in that the memories are so strong, so fond, and you know sometimes going back it's not what you remember and can potentially tarnish those super fond memories.

If anything i'd probably put back Andromeda as it bothers me (a little) that i did not finish it. As i mentioned it wasn't as horrible as the internet made it out to be, i was enjoying it tbh, i just lost steam along the way and if you took it for it's own game it was really good actually, but when titled as the 4th iteration of ME, well it wasn't in that groove, it was its own game.

My biggest problem is game time for me (there are times i can through tons of time at games), most of the time it's pretty regulated in how much i can throw at them, and "mmorpg's" and the "progression" factor get me every time.

I just love mmorpg's first, and sticking it out on single player games is my biggest problem, it's a decision in that i can throw 2 hours at "insert mmorpg" or play ME:A
    for a couple hours knowing that i 'm not sure i'll finish before losing interest again, then ultimately feeling like i wasted time i could have spent progressing lmao, whacked i know, but that's the deciding factor much of the time, i guess also single player games possibly don't grab me as they once did, is a thing as well.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
    xpsync said:

Do you find they feel dated now? I've contemplated doing this a few times over the years :) hehe, and i'm on the fence in that the memories are so strong, so fond, and you know sometimes going back it's not what you remember and can potentially tarnish those super fond memories.

They don't feel dated at all actually. They hold up quite well. As to fond memories I find that 2 or 3 years is enough time to forget some of the details although they often come back in the moment when I'm doing a mission. One of the great things about 1-3 is that they tell one large story and there are enough choices and consequences from those choices that they can play slightly differently each time. That's specially the case with the last mission in ME2 where you can lose one or more companions that will still be dead in ME3.

The last time I replayed them Jack survived and she hadn't for me in previous playthroughs. It was nice to see what became of her in ME3.

The only thing that is slightly annoying is the different ways of getting resources and how you develop characters in all 3. You will inevitably have preferences having played all 3 before and using the style that isn't your favorite will be a bit annoying at times.
    xpsync

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    cheyane said:
    A scifi RPG I would like that very much. James Ohlen worked 22 years for Bioware has Dragon Age Origins for a credit to his success and was with them even during the time of Baldur's Gate. I am optimistic and since it is a single player game without the many pitfalls that could come with an MMORPG even more so. Let's hope for a good game.
    I always loved his enthusiasm when SWTOR was brand new and he was talking to the fans.
    And you can sign me up for a good sci-fi RPG anytime as well!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/