Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BioWare Veterans Form Archetype Entertainment to Create Sci-fi RPG - MMORPG.com News

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageBioWare Veterans Form Archetype Entertainment to Create Sci-fi RPG - MMORPG.com News

A group of former BioWare devs have started a new studio in Austin, TX to build a sci-fi RPG.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Lets see how long this one lasts.
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    edited February 2020
    I enjoyed Dragon Age series, so ill keep an eye on this.
    SovrathTokkenjimmywolfRemyVorendergastovski1ValentinarojoArcueidThupliinfomatzAzaron_Nightblade
  • RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Yes! I hope they start getting around to producing good D&D games. Until then Owlcat will do us right with Pathfinder.
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    This could be interesting.
    Thupli
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    More games to hope for in 4-5 years. 
    strawhat0981XarkoThupliAzaron_Nightblade
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited February 2020
    No hype. It's guaranteed failure when a new company announce MMORPG as their first project. It takes a lot of experiments to create actually interesting player experience. For example, Ultima Online was 9th iteration of the game. WoW was #4 (iterated on Warcraft). Dark Age of Camelot was like # 13 game for the company.

The only company which is capable to create anything interesting in the genre - it's Ubisoft with their Assassin's Creed franchise and upcoming multiplayer version.
    moroelIselinMcSleazdoomexgastovski1KnightEST

Thank you for your time!

• immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300

3dom said:

No hype. It's guaranteed failure when a new company announce MMORPG as their first project. It takes a lot of experiments to create actually interesting player experience. For example, Ultima Online was 9th iteration of the game. WoW was #4 (iterated on Warcraft). Dark Age of Camelot was like # 13 game for the company.

The only company which is capable to create anything interesting in the genre - it's Ubisoft with their Assassin's Creed franchise and upcoming multiplayer version.

Is it confirmed as an MMO? The article on PCGamer I read indicated it was single player.
    MendelKalafaxThupliinfomatzAzaron_Nightblade
  • VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    I am hopeful but my wallet will need more than promises to be moved. Been burned to many times

3dom said:

Is it confirmed as an MMO? The article on PCGamer I read indicated it was single player.
    Says single player rpg. This guy didn't read the article. Just being negative for no reason.
    MendelSovrathMcSleazPanzerbeorne39RoinRemyVorendergastovski1rojoArcueidThupliinfomatzand 1 other.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

3dom said:

Cool rant and all, but the article mentioned RPG, not an MMORPG.
    MendelSovrathMcSleazRoingastovski1phoenixfire2Waan
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• cloudacvcloudacv Member UncommonPosts: 210

Utinni said:

3dom said:

Says single player rpg. This guy didn't read the article. Just being negative for no reason.

Pretty sure I’ve seen him say some boomer jokes too.
    Negative for no reason is right.
    MendelThupli
  • AyuroxAyurox Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Another Sci-fi RPG promise that won't be finished you'll see ...
    strawhat0981
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    "..story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices".

Yet another 'play less, watch more' kind of game. *yawn*
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Dune I want a Dune mmo.
    McSleazRoinHawkeye666
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I don't know much about Robertson but Ohlen is a very heavy hitter who was with Bioware right from the start.

The game that made Bioware, the original Baldur's Gate, was his as were KotoR and DA.
    Relampago[Deleted User]Panzerbeorne39RoinAlomarinfomatz[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    I don't know much about Robertson but Ohlen is a very heavy hitter who was with Bioware right from the start.

The game that made Bioware, the original Baldur's Gate, was his as were KotoR and DA.
    Speaking of oldschool Bioware, Jade Empire is great on ipad just like the kotors are.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    "story driven"
    So very linear,lockouts and side quests.A whole bunch of connect the dots,hand holding and watching cutscenes.

Call me when they are serious about making a modern game and not something from the 80/90's.

Replay VALUE,longevity VALUE,in depth systems VALUE,deep character progression,OPEN ended game play and not linear paths to an end game.Show me some EFFORT,well unless you don't want my money.
    I don't give 5/10 games a 9.5/10 like websites or paid people do,i EXPECT a great game or it's just vaporware to me.So far there is nothing that sounds great.

Furthermore,this is WOTC,a business i do NOT trust what so ever if expecting a solid effort.Instead what i expect from WOTC is about the bottom of the barrel type of effort.That does not mean i am writing this game off,but they will need to change their ways and stop aiming for low budget offerings.
    AeanderValentina

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Wizardry said:
    "story driven"
    So very linear,lockouts and side quests.A whole bunch of connect the dots,hand holding and watching cutscenes.

Call me when they are serious about making a modern game and not something from the 80/90's.

Replay VALUE,longevity VALUE,in depth systems VALUE,deep character progression,OPEN ended game play and not linear paths to an end game.Show me some EFFORT,well unless you don't want my money.
    I don't give 5/10 games a 9.5/10 like websites or paid people do,i EXPECT a great game or it's just vaporware to me.So far there is nothing that sounds great.

Furthermore,this is WOTC,a business i do NOT trust what so ever if expecting a solid effort.Instead what i expect from WOTC is about the bottom of the barrel type of effort.That does not mean i am writing this game off,but they will need to change their ways and stop aiming for low budget offerings.
    You got all that from "story driven," eh?

Just when I thought you couldn't sound any more ridiculous, you prove me wrong.
    [Deleted User]Roingastovski1infomatzcloudacv
  • whoywhoy Member UncommonPosts: 53
    If the game any good I will support and buy it.
    If they are asking money to fund their game such as crowdfunding, I will not entertain.

Quote me and tell me I was wrong when they actually finish creating the game without asking money from gamer to support them.
    jimmywolf
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    So in three years (timescale dependent on single player) we may get a great RPG...hooray! :)
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    where is Dragon Age 4?
    Scot

Wizardry said:

"story driven"

So.... Every Final Fantasy game ever?
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    A scifi RPG I would like that very much. James Ohlen worked 22 years for Bioware has Dragon Age Origins for a credit to his success and was with them even during the time of Baldur's Gate. I am optimistic and since it is a single player game without the many pitfalls that could come with an MMORPG even more so. Let's hope for a good game.
    Chamber of Chains
  • jarsku85jarsku85 Member UncommonPosts: 84

Wizardry said:

"story driven"

This is not recent EA product, it's KOTOR dev product :)
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    2027 here we come... duh.
    I'm sick of promising projects that are a decade late and with 10% of original scope... Yes Star CItizen come to mind. For that amount of money they could have cured aids, corona and world hunger at the same time. But no, they are selling more ships that will never fly...
    Gdemami

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.