Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grim Dawn?

ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
I was reading another post and someone mentioned liking Grim Dawn more than PoE. Being someone who really likes Diablo 1, 2 and even 3 (to a much lesser degree), it peaked my interest. Having the opinion that PoE is one of the best isolinear multiplayer RPGs released in the last ten years, I had to see what this game was about. To my surprise, it looked quite good.

I watched some videos surrounding gameplay and it seems to offer a lot. Does anyone play this that can tell me if it has any glaring issues? Every game has something that makes someone stop playing. Considering this game has been out for almost 5 years now, there has to be something about it that is keeping it from gaining popularity.

Comments

• DafAtRandomDafAtRandom Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I wouldn't say I like it more than PoE but I do like it a lot...it's a solid ARPG.
    That being said, I think the game can feel like there's a little something missing to it, and I was always not sure what.  The dual class system is pretty neat and allows you to create your own class, but the game progression feels a bit...stale to me.

Still a great game to pick up and if you're into the ARPG it's not gonna be money wasted...it's a solid title, but just lacking that little extra that makes you go "WoW!".  Just too much of a "already did all that feel" I guess...not the most innovative title.
    ultimateduck
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    It isn't better than Path of Exile but it is a good game. They have some interesting classes combining the base class and their star chart thing is good too. Add some flavour.
    ultimateduck

• crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Game is OK.  All in with the expansions you're talking $60ish.

Some of the things I don't like:
    1) Melee is a real challenge (Read: P.I.T.A) for whatever reason in this game.  You will have a much less frustrating experience playing ranged/caster.

2) There are just too damn many damage types that you have to have resistances for.  There are 9 types plus you need stun resistance especially as a melee character.  Becomes tedious to gear especially when you can't roll stuff on to your gear like in POE.

3) It's hard to farm the legendary gear you want because there aren't any real boss specific drops.  Everything is basically a world drop.  You can guess how many legendaries you want that you will actually get......you know RNG and all.....

4) You have to play through the story THREE times on Normal, Elite and Ultimate for every character you want to level.  (There are potions to skip some of this if you have the FG expac).  Still, it's a tedious and boring process that gets old real quick when rolling alts.

Probably more I could think of if I had time.  Haven't played in a while.
    GorweHariken
    Whatever you decide, I would wait for a sale.  Game goes on sale fairly often for $7.99
    rodingo
  • SarlaSarla Member UncommonPosts: 316
    I'm glad the op asked those questions and thanks for everyone who answered because I had been wondering the same thing and pondering purchasing myself
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited January 2020
    I think ranking D3, POE and Grim Dawn is just personal preference. But IMO, those are the top 3 current ARPGs. I have played all 3 and over time I have focused more on one than the other two at different times.

So yeah, it's definitely worth buying f you like ARPGs.
    ultimateduckPalebane
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited January 2020
    Honestly, I would buy it just because Diablo 3 and PoE can't be played offline. That said, yeah you do need to shell out extra if you want to play certain archetypes or whatever the game calls it, but personally, its worth it. You can just wait for a sale or something since it goes on sale almost every other month on steam.
    ultimateduck
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited January 2020
     I play D3 , Grim Dawn , POE and Wolcen .. Alot ..

All are good games

D3 combat is best and most fluid

POE has most interesting and in depth builds ..

Grim Dawn hits a sweet spot right between POE and D3

Wolcen which releases next month 2/13 .. combines them all into a really fun , fluid , in depth experience ..

of course .. this is IMO

ultimateduck
  • irnbru69irnbru69 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    crankked said:
    Game is OK.  All in with the expansions you're talking $60ish.

Some of the things I don't like:
    1) Melee is a real challenge (Read: P.I.T.A) for whatever reason in this game.  You will have a much less frustrating experience playing ranged/caster.

2) There are just too damn many damage types that you have to have resistances for.  There are 9 types plus you need stun resistance especially as a melee character.  Becomes tedious to gear especially when you can't roll stuff on to your gear like in POE.

3) It's hard to farm the legendary gear you want because there aren't any real boss specific drops.  Everything is basically a world drop.  You can guess how many legendaries you want that you will actually get......you know RNG and all.....

4) You have to play through the story THREE times on Normal, Elite and Ultimate for every character you want to level.  (There are potions to skip some of this if you have the FG expac).  Still, it's a tedious and boring process that gets old real quick when rolling alts.

Probably more I could think of if I had time.  Haven't played in a while.
    1. not really true, since game launched melee has shined. Kiting mobs has always been in games.
    2. resists are kinda easy to get the more you play.
    3. Its not hard to farm the gear you want if you play it enough or trade on the GD forums.
    4. you no longer need to play through the story three times, you can buy unlocks in the game for new characters.

Grim dawn is simply better than poe in many ways, lets just face facts here most people that play poe play it solo... and yes its better than d3, i have about 1200 hours in grim dawn and have also played poe since closed beta. So it is easy for me to make up my mind and tell you Grim Dawn will never disappoint any arpg fan. They added movement ability's not so long ago, it keeps getting better and better.
    ultimateduck
  • ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407
    I'm surprised no one mentioned Titan Quest, since Grim Dawn is essentially the grimdark version of Titan Quest, and it's the same Lead Designer on both games.

Damn newfangled kids.
    strawhat0981ultimateduck
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I saw grim dawn for sell at like 5 bucks, i still could not pull the trigger. Go figure.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I absolutely loved this game, and I don't even play that many ARPG's.  Diablo I and Torchfire II were the last two ARPG's I ever played, but this game just met every need I had in the genre many times over.

From the awesome classes, to the varied and interesting builds you can make within them, to the story, to the levels and fights to the awesome looking gearing, I simply loved it.

One other thing is that I almost never re-play games that have a linear story.  Once I've participated in the story, I almost always move on to other games.  But with this game, I played through the entire story six times.  Two times with each character.

It's been two years since I played it last, but the ranged class with dual wield pistols was, by far, my favorite.
    ultimateduckPalebane
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    Any game that gets this much positive comment is a game worth considering... considering the way comments usually go around here. :wink:

I have played it a fair amount... and liked it a lot. This not my favorite genre, so I come and go to the game.
    ultimateduckPalebane
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Awesome, thanks! It looks like the full game can be purchased for $24.99. There's a $64.99 Loyalist option but I don't usually have much use for the gewgaws. 

I think I'll give it a shot.
    Gorwe
    One last question. On their site, they say I can get it through Steam but offer it directly through their site. The two sites don't seem to line up regarding what you get at what price. Would anyone know which pack I need to get to have access to the entire game? It seems I can get "The Full Game" on the official site for $24.99 where Steam has a plethora of options that are all over the place.

Thanks!

edited January 2020
    24.99 gives you the base game.  There are two expansions after that, Ashes Of Malmouth and Forgotten Gods, both of which are around $15-17.  They also have a Crucible DLC which is like a wave based mode and that is an additional $5-6

EDIT: Don't buy the loyalist pack.  It doesn't say it gives you the FG expac.  I would just buy on Steam.  You can buy the base game for $25 and buy the expacs later if you like the game
    ultimateduck
    crankked said:
    24.99 gives you the base game.  There are two expansions after that, Ashes Of Malmouth and Forgotten Gods, both of which are around $15-17.  They also have a Crucible DLC which is like a wave based mode and that is an additional $5-6

EDIT: Don't buy the loyalist pack.  It doesn't say it gives you the FG expac.  I would just buy on Steam.  You can buy the base game for $25 and buy the expacs later if you like the game
    I won't be missing out on any of the features early on by not having the expansions?

The base game has a ton of content to start.  You can play through the original story first to see if you like the game.  

The expacs add more story, an additional class, more end game content. 

If you bought the base game, you would play through the story like normal in all 3 difficulties.  If you later wanted to spend money on the expansions, it's a seamless add-on to continue the story.  I would buy the base game and try it.  
    ultimateduck
    Awesome, thanks
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It's a great game and IMO more fun than POE. But I think it's more fun for a different reason. POE felt a lot more fast paced and less story driven, whereas Grim Dawn is slower feeling and way more story focused. I also really enjoy the dual class aspect of it. 
    Palebane
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Base game GD should be super cheap by now, if not just grab it on sale. PoE is free. Try both!
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited February 2020
    Grim Dawn reminds me of D2 more than any other aRPG I’ve played. My two favorites. I’ve been going to it for my Fallout fix as well.
    Post edited by Palebane on

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Arterius said:
    Honestly I think Grim Dawn is in my top three favorite ARPG's. 

Diablo 2, Grim Dawn, and then Diablo 1

After playing Grim Dawn as well its the standard I hold all other ARPG's too and they simply can not compete. I actually don't like PoE at all. I think its a slog. 
    I agree about POE. I think Grim is so much better since all the major updates and expansions it's got lately. It's still getting great new content. POE is really hyped on this site. Plus Grim has the dual-class system that gives you so much freedom to mix it up.
    Palebaneultimateduck[Deleted User]
  • MaridMarid Member UncommonPosts: 128
    I've played quite bit of Grim Dawn and I really like it...and I love the fact that you can have a dual-class character, with lots of combo variations to choose from. With tons of content and a replayablity factor that is through the roof, you can't go wrong with this one.
    ultimateduckHariken
    So far I'm really enjoying it. Only 2 character slots though?

Hariken