Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EULA for Warcraft 3: Reforged Effectively Gives Blizzard Ownership of All Custom Games - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageEULA for Warcraft 3: Reforged Effectively Gives Blizzard Ownership of All Custom Games - MMORPG.com News

It looks like the End-User License Agreement (EULA) for Warcraft 3: Reforged gives total ownership of all custom games to Blizzard.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Hopefully people just don't make any custom content for it then.
    TacticalZombehMcSleazLark3mIsilithTehroth
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Still bitter about DotA?  :D
    Deadrites87ThupliNonemaneAlbatroesrojoArcueidAzaron_NightbladeFolmenAlomargastovski1Waanand 14 others.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    The Blizzard we once loved it no more.

This is just more proof of its death.

At the hands of executives.
    ZenJellySeelinnikoibwwianakievTenohiraRich84seraphis79OzmodanLark3mIsilithTehrothTacticalZombeh
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited January 2020
    Game is riddled with bugs but good thing they were able to adjust their EULA! People can't even play the classic version since it automatically updates it to this garbage if you try to install via the blizzard launcher.
    infomatzLark3m
  • DairiosDairios Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I'm not sure why people are so butthurt by this? I guess it's still trendy to hate on Blizzard for everything? Most developers have something like this nowadays. If you post a champion concept on Riots forums, they have all rights to it. Mods made for Minecraft became official content, etc.Devils advocate, but it makes sense from a business standpoint to do this, because of the whole DotA 2 thing, right?
    Maddog666ZenJellygastovski1bwwianakievMcSleaz[Deleted User]infomatzGorweViper482IceAgeand 6 others.
  • ShelvinarrShelvinarr Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Dairios said:
    I'm not sure why people are so butthurt by this? I guess it's still trendy to hate on Blizzard for everything? Most developers have something like this nowadays. If you post a champion concept on Riots forums, they have all rights to it. Mods made for Minecraft became official content, etc.Devils advocate, but it makes sense from a business standpoint to do this, because of the whole DotA 2 thing, right?
    The difference is, I think, is that in the original Warcraft III you could create anything to your hearts' desire without fear of Blizzard snatching it and utilizing it for profit. And, you were able to use unoriginal/copyrighted material I.E. Final Fantasy RPG maps, Anime maps, Warhammer TD maps, etc etc. Was it right or wrong to use copyrighted material on a custom map in Warcraft III? Not for me to decide, but the point is that you were able to do all of that and more. Some of my favorite memories of Warcraft III are from playing Footmen Frenzy with my friends, or Battle Tanks, or DotA amongst countless other custom maps that let content creators have free reign without fear of their content being taken, or their account being banned for breaking EULA by using a copyrighted source material. But, this is all just my opinion on why people are upset. I don't actually care as I haven't purchased WC3 Reforged, I just know if I had bought it and found out after the fact about the changes to the EULA and the stranglehold on custom content, I'd probably be a little irritated.

Just my 2 cents as a spectator. Just grab some popcorn, either way, it's going to be a good show.
    WalkinGlenn
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Aeander said:
    Still bitter about DotA?  :D
    LOL! First thing I thought of tbh xD
    They wanna make sure that if another LoL rises from their game, that they can sue them for all they're worth. Even if they didn't have a hand in the creative process whatsoever.
    Lark3m

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    Blizzard has become so painfully sick and conniving. I don't think this EULA would hold water, in court.
    Iselin
  • bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Ive never refunded a game so quickly than Reforged. I even gave Bless a bigger shot.
    ThupliGroqstrongLark3m
  • McSleazMcSleaz Member RarePosts: 280

Dairios said:

It's Anti-Consumer Tactics. Maybe you're young enough that you don't remember the times when we OWNED the products we bought and we OWNED the Intellectual Property we created with them.
    Lark3mamithist
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yeah typical Blizzard fanbois calling people Blizzard haters,tells me they have no common sense or understanding at all.

LONG before Blizzard became a popular brand or household name we had what is called MODDING and gave players FREEDOM.Matter of fact it is partially what made the UNREAL series popular,the UNREAL engine the biggest name in the industry,Geesh Epic games offered MONEY to modder's with the best work,labeled "make something Unreal" contest.

Blizzard instead likes to maintain full control and not cater to the COMMUNITY aspect what so ever, a VERY greedy business.

You as a business are SUPPOSED to show respect to the very people who make you rich,you do not instead confine them and tell them NO NO NO.This is NOT about copyright,this is sheer greed and nothing more.

Where do people think Counterstrike came from?

Since i have been very much entrenched in Hearthstone over the years i can point to that game as well.We are supposed to be BUYING the cards,they are suppose to be OURS but they are NOT.Within MTG a game i played for many years,we owned our cards,we could SELL them and trade them freely but apparently Blizzard would rather get away somehow by scamming people with FAKE purchases.A pack sale is clearly labeled as a SALE ...a PURCHASE,yet all we are purchasing is a license to use the cards and nothing more,yet that is not clearly stated in the purchase because it would be a negative way to sell the product,easier to be deceptive.
    meerclar

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    How can anyone reasonably defend this?

This is not a matter of 'do you like the graphics?' It's 40$ for losing features and a game that doesn't work... Srsly imagine someone NOT called Blizzard would release something like this... who would defend this?
  • evolgrinzevolgrinz Member UncommonPosts: 151
    If I was to create a custom scenario, because I enjoy doing that, and Blizzard would use it for their own, I would see that as a big compliment.
    [Deleted User]
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    Blizzard sure have lost their way! 
    Ozmodan

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Dairios said:

Am I the only one who just wants to flood their mods with magna and absolute trash like models in an attempt to say "Sure you can have this neo nazi orc that wears this shirt saying "I support nazi's like Blizzard does".

They can it.
    McSleazLark3m
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

evolgrinz said:

If I was to create a custom scenario, because I enjoy doing that, and Blizzard would use it for their own, I would see that as a big compliment.

Yeah I bet if you made DOTA and then Blizzard just profitted off of your game play elements because you modified their boring ass game to something worthwhile...I don't think compliment is the word you'd be using when crying about "YOU MADE DOTA". YOU!

See modifications drive play after the base game is crushed. So basically blizzard owns literally any idea you put there. Not cool true.

But standards with a company that is basically the real doll to activision? Oh for sure.

Anyhow this is going to screw modders who use patreon to keep funs going.
    Or any service as such.

See... You can't exactly donate to someone who doesn't own the content to even begin to ask for money. Hell that violates the terms right there for anyone using patreon.

You'd take it as a compliment..lol that's how you know someone doesn't mod. FK that. Use my stuff but atleast give me a reacharound in the credits.
    McSleazLark3m
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    They can keep their crap tbh
    Nobody is interested in reviving their museum pieces. This is laughable.
    Lark3m
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    well warcraft 3 is officially dead.
  • rasuXrasuX Member CommonPosts: 4
    Activision and Blizzard are TRASH companies NOW, i dont care and i am stopped support those tards.
    Ozmodan
  • slayerjjslayerjj Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I would claim that everyone should just abandon Blizzard already, but I REALLY like Overwatch. That said, imagine being a graphics artist and making something on a program like photoshop and then all of a sudden your creation and all the advantages that come with it belong to the creators of the tools you used. I understand that in normal situations, unlike w3, you are given way too much to produce something interesting, but with little effort, since you got most of the assets from the game, thus the game company should profit as well. But this is too much, it is ridiculous.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Dairios said:
    I absolutely agree. I was just about to ask "why is this an issue?"

Bethesda has always claimed the rights to players' mods; right up to saying "no you can't use assets to remake morrowind (or Oblivion for that matter).

Why should players piggy back off the work of the developers for their own gain?
    cloudacvOzmodanLark3m
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Riqqy82Riqqy82 Member UncommonPosts: 91

Dairios said:

^blizzard employee
    Ozmodan

• Riqqy82Riqqy82 Member UncommonPosts: 91

Sovrath said:

Dairios said:

Bethesda has always claimed the rights to players' mods; right up to saying "no you can't use assets to remake morrowind (or Oblivion for that matter).

Why should players piggy back off the work of the developers for their own gain?

the company should be vigilante and notice a trendy mod, and then pitch a business offer to help the creator expand on their vision and also make some money on it along the way, but without a doubt in your mind its better for them to just hijack an idea and due the classic twist it and ruin it blizzard move.
    Ozmodan

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I'm a modder. I'll never make anything for them under this EULA.

I don't mind doing stuff for free. I did it to share with the community and friends.

The state of Warcraft 3 Reforged is just abysmal for multiple reasons this is only the cherry on top of the shit sundae they released. Just pathetic.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Sovrath said:
    Dairios said:

Afaik Bethesda only ask for license to player mods and their assets. That's not a big deal for most modders because those were meant to be distributed for free anyway.

Blizzard takes it one step further and asks for ownership of player mods and assets. That's huge for most modders because once you put something into mod for Blizzard game you lose it and can't use it anywhere else ever again.
    gervaise1