Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall combat: I'm too old for this shite!

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
edited January 2020 in Crowfall
Constant movement, constant ability spam with what appears to be a 1/2 second cooldown.  To see it really get frantic, jump forward in the video a bit to the melee combat.  I'll be honest guys, most modern MMO combat just isn't for me.  I'm too old and slow.  MMOs have left me behind!  Anyone else in the same boat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWvBrAYKPag
azzamasinAlomarJHLotB[Deleted User]Kylerancheyanestrawhat0981Azaron_NightbladenatpickBuschkatzeand 3 others.

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Even though i am old i am not afraid of anything speedy,i still have great reflexes but i would not be in the least interested in a pretend rpg that is really just a weak pvp game.

If i saw a good reason and a well designed pvp game,i would play it no problem,idc about my age at all,however this game is NOT the game.

I do rather prefer a relaxed atmosphere when playing a mmorpg,not into the flash n the pan,arpg junk,i actually detest spammy combat.
    FrykkanatpickBuschkatze

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I hear Pantheon has dusted off that 20 year old 56k modem combat which has players standing around, swinging weapons with no hit box every 3.5-4.5 sec animation cycles.  
    [Deleted User]Roincheebanatpick

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    azzamasin said:
    I hear Pantheon has dusted off that 20 year old 56k modem combat which has players standing around, swinging weapons with no hit box every 3.5-4.5 sec animation cycles.  
    Oh thank God.
    [Deleted User]newbismxacidbloodKylerancheyaneCaffynatedScotSlapshot1188cheebaSovrathand 2 others.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    azzamasin said:
    Oh thank God.
    "I believe it's your turn to hit me now, old chap."

"Is it? Do you mind if I wait until I finish my tea?"

"Not at all. Take your time."
    [Deleted User]Theocritus[Deleted User]XAleX360acidbloodRnjypsyGiarclencheyaneScotrojoArcueidand 9 others.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Super old clip, but yeah it's definitely not any slower today.  In fact one of the big things requested was shorter TTK.  It's a lot of fun in 1v1 or 1vX but for seige battles with all the buffs and heals having TTK that long is brutal lol.
    [Deleted User]
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited January 2020
    I still don't understand the need some people have for spamming 100+ buttons per minute just so they can pretend they are doing something - are attention spans really that short?... I much prefer 20-30 button presses per minute (or less), with each having a significant impact.
    Kyleranstrawhat0981newbismxtweedledumb99cheebanatpickMorgenes83
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Xodic said:
    I prefer not to repeatedly smash keys in an MMORPG. 
    I don't have trouble with doing it in older games, especially with tab targeting and more stationary combat.  But you throw in mashing a bunch of buttons quickly while doing things like strafing and dodge rolling, and I have a lot of trouble.  I'm not saying that's a bad form of game play, it's just not for me.
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Xodic said:
    I prefer not to repeatedly smash keys in an MMORPG. 
    I don't have trouble with doing it in older games, especially with tab targeting and more stationary combat.  But you throw in mashing a bunch of buttons quickly while doing things like strafing and dodge rolling, and I have a lot of trouble.  I'm not saying that's a bad form of game play, it's just not for me.
    Don't worry,  one day they'll all understand.

Of course we'll likely be gaming behind the pearly gates by then.

;)
    Azaron_Nightblade[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    a controller is a godsend for us older gamers, it brings back the joys of the old days of button mashing Space Invaders.
    cheebaCosmoguard
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Constant movement, constant ability spam with what appears to be a 1/2 second cooldown.  To see it really get frantic, jump forward in the video a bit to the melee combat.  I'll be honest guys, most modern MMO combat just isn't for me.  I'm too old and slow.  MMOs have left me behind!  Anyone else in the same boat?

Yeah I agree with you on this one.  I backed this game just because I wanted it to succeed.  I have played it a few times an I don't have the twitch skills anymore to play games like this one.  As I have gotten older I find myself not wanting to play a ton of action combat games for this reason.  It is a good game though.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

It does look like crap.

Having 10 skills bar , while dodging, strafing, jumping is what killed WAR for me.
    I felt like playing concert piano.

Good modern games know that its not about having 10 skills but rather having 4-5 ( two bounded to mouse buttons ) to choose from large possibilities. ( more or less called moba setup )

So you both have to build your "deck" and can concentrate on action and not on pressing 10 keys in same time.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I don't think, no, I'm quite certain I cannot play that game. I can manage a small amount of fast combat but I will make a lot of mistakes if I am frantically trying to hit buttons. I need some time to react. Price of age or may be I was never able to even when I was young. 

When I used to play on the console I always played turn based so even before the PC games I was never able to hit buttons fast.

I saw that The Outer Worlds had allowed FOV to 120 and allowed you too turn off head bobbing and decided to buy the game. There was a good deal on Humble Bundle. So far have been able to play it on Normal difficulty. Games like that I can manage the combat but even then it is a scramble. Crowfall will be a waste of money for me to buy because it is unrealistic for me to expect to play it with any skill. I have to accept the game is beyond me.

I bought some games very cheap thinking I could play them like Recore and found it is not a question of trying. My reflexes are just terribly poor and no amount of practice or wishing could improve them. I did manage Monster Hunter World but it was quite difficult and I didn't even get very far and I doubt I will be able to actually take on the tougher bosses.

Some things you have to accept is beyond you and move on.
    Azaron_NightbladeCosmoguardKyleran
    Chamber of Chains
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Are we watching the same video? He's mostly holding left mouse for basic attack and occasionaly activating one of his longer cooldown powers. Crowfall isn't slow but it's far from a fast paced MMO. Faster than TERA but slwer than GW2 or BDO.
    cheebaFrykka
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Guys I am playing Rainbow 6 Siege; my reflexes, eyesight and memory are not as good as they were in my twenties but then that's true for anyone. I still do fine just not as good as in yesteryear. So I think we are up for the "twitch" combat of a MMORPG. :)
    cheeba
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    The problem isn't the other guy's reflexes it's the way some classes are designed that are ultra cheese.

Zybak although informative plays the most cheese characters that exist. If you go back and watch all his videos he basically unintentionally shows every mechanic that should be changed or even removed from the game. Perma stealth, infinite kite, long duration damage immunity are all things that will be abused like crazy when the game comes out and determine the most douchebag meta that has ever existed in any game. All of those have easy fixes though like stealth limit, kite fatigue and limited damage immunity. I haven't played the game in a while so dunno if they changed those things recently.

I don't know if that is the type of game the devs want to have where just a limited amount of classes are played but seeing as there is no limit to how many of a certain class per server can be created there will be entire guilds of all stealth, damage immune etc.

I personally don't care about meta or being the best so I'm just going to play what I think is fun at launch even if it's underpowered and I die a lot. The race variety in CF was the part I liked the most in my time played along with some of the less op classes. Healers really felt like a healer so there's that at least.

Finding a group of other older gamers to play with may be the solution to counter the fast reflex younger people. Maybe strength in numbers and coordination.
    UngoodCosmoguard[Deleted User]
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    azzamasin said:
    Someone didn't have a haste item or buffs I see.
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    I've been playing Crowfall since Hunger Dome, and the animation locking combat they had then was definitely much more my speed. That said, I've gotten better at the current combat. I'm still not great, but I don't PvP much these days. I'm sure I could improve more with practice, but I enjoy the crafting side of the game, and that's likely what I will focus on at launch.
  • MaridMarid Member UncommonPosts: 128

You know what they say, babe: use it or lose it. They also say that practice makes perfect...this, too, is perfectly true. Quick story: My husband and I started playing GW2 a couple years ago and right from the start we knew he was going to have problems...lots and lots of problems. You see, my husband is a really big guy, with really big hands and fingers; this made it practically impossible for him to execute the rapid skill rotations and dodges necessary to play the game. So, we got him one of those keyboards with the really big buttons...the ones for the visually impaired. This helped him a ton, but it still wasn't enough...so, he started doing dexterity training exercises, which was comical at first, but over time he got better and better. Long story short: at this point he is a much better player - better than most, I would say. So, yes, it is possible to "get gud", if you have the determination and enough patience to see it through.

The question that you have to ask yourself is: is a shitty little game like Crowfall worth all that time and effort?

Caffynated
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited January 2020
    Scot said:
    Guys I am playing Rainbow 6 Siege; my reflexes, eyesight and memory are not as good as they were in my twenties but then that's true for anyone. I still do fine just not as good as in yesteryear. So I think we are up for the "twitch" combat of a MMORPG. :)
    Depends- Twitch combat has its place (and I enjoy it) but MMORP's are longer and more focused experiences.

I dont want to sit down for a 6 hour session on a weekend doing twitch combat- I'm looking for depth and something more mentally challenging.

I actually prefer 'turn based' gaming but again, twitch gaming has its place- Just not in a mmorpg imho.

BDO was a fantastic game but the combat ruined it for me- Its not that I cannot do it- Its that I do not want to do it when there are games far better suited for me to play during long play sessions.

An mmorpg (or an RPG period) should be akin to curling up with a good book- Not playing in an arcade.

edit- That said, I've almost given up the genre completely at this point and am back to running tabletop games on weekends and playing single player games (some twitchy) or 'survival/building' games and hoping something is developed that scratches that itch.

...Still waiting....
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Crowfall has less APM than WoW. 
    [Deleted User]
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    meh guys just do like the kiddies today, you really think they press each button? they are fucking lazy for that, they make macro for everything, so use macros

though the combat speed of this game is kinda slower then i'm used to
    Scot
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    newbismx said:
    Scot said:
    Depends- Twitch combat has its place (and I enjoy it) but MMORP's are longer and more focused experiences.

I dont want to sit down for a 6 hour session on a weekend doing twitch combat- I'm looking for depth and something more mentally challenging.

I actually prefer 'turn based' gaming but again, twitch gaming has its place- Just not in a mmorpg imho.

BDO was a fantastic game but the combat ruined it for me- Its not that I cannot do it- Its that I do not want to do it when there are games far better suited for me to play during long play sessions.

An mmorpg (or an RPG period) should be akin to curling up with a good book- Not playing in an arcade.

edit- That said, I've almost given up the genre completely at this point and am back to running tabletop games on weekends and playing single player games (some twitchy) or 'survival/building' games and hoping something is developed that scratches that itch.

...Still waiting....
    I am not saying I want twitch combat in MMOs just that we could handle it, not a fan of it myself. But indeed as the poster above mentioned do some macros.

However I am not sure we can expect the tab targeted combat of old, some degree of action combat is the future just not full on twitch. MMOs like AoC had action elements, Terra maybe went too far but CF does seem to go further than that.

BDO was my last MMO, it was the high level weapon grind/Pay to Upgrade that made me leave. But many of us are still waiting, I won't rule out CF just for arcade combat that's just one factor among many to consider at launch.
  • WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276

It looked like all he was doing was spamming 1 to kill a unsuspecting miner char. I'm also getting older (30+ years old), but it isn't becoming a hassle to press keys on my keyboard. I would recommend you try console gaming if you're having trouble stretching your hands or differentiating more than 4 buttons.
    klash2def
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I love games like dark souls, bayonetta, devil may cry where your attacks has weight and you get animation rooted. I'm not impressed by the type of combat crowfall displays.
    RusqueCaffynated
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276

It looked like all he was doing was spamming 1 to kill a unsuspecting miner char. I'm also getting older (30+ years old), but it isn't becoming a hassle to press keys on my keyboard. I would recommend you try console gaming if you're having trouble stretching your hands or differentiating more than 4 buttons.
    Get off my lawn- Whipper-snapper.
    bcbully