Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fresh new EverQuest being developed?

Comments

• DafAtRandomDafAtRandom Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Yup, news have been out for a few days.  Wouldn't surprise me if the new Everquest innovation is something nobody wants...like a mobile game.
    Gyva02RidelynnScotelockeultimateduckDragonJockeyDibdabsTuor7Rich84NorseGodand 1 other.
  • fcweddfcwedd Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Oh please don't say mobile.   Lol.
    IncomparableelockeAsm0deusultimateducknatpick
  • cheebacheeba Member UncommonPosts: 196
    We know nothing more about it then we did 6 months ago.  Holly Longdale has made some hints they were working on something. 

And no its not a mobile game.  Even though one is in development by NantWorks.  She has said they are not working on the mobile game. 

gervaise1elocke

---------------
    Tested over a 115+ games since 1997.

Currently Playing:

Played(Retired): AOL NWN(91-95), UO, EQ1/2, DAoC, CoX, Lineage1/2, SWG(Pre CU/NGE), Planetside, Anarchy Online, FFXI, AC, Vanguard, D&D, AoC, DCUO, Rift, Eve, others

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Everquest landmask Next Mobile
    AlBQuirky
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Yup, news have been out for a few days.  Wouldn't surprise me if the new Everquest innovation is something nobody wants...like a mobile game.
    Apparently your are still behind in the news. There is an EQ mobile game coming, but it's not being developed by the EQ team. They (the team) are supposedly working in a new EQ title not associated with the mobile game.
    gervaise1
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Arterius said:
    If they make a game that is the best parts of 1&2 I think they can make a successful game. My fear is DBG. I don't know enough about the company. I don't know if I played any of there game, save for the first 10 minutes of EQ2. However, I do know that not just on here but on MassivlyOP they are very much one of the most hated MMO companies

I'm with you there.  I would of course like very much a new game in the EverQuest franchise but do I trust DBG to make it?  I have no choice, but I also haven't a ton of faith.  Has DBG actually built a game from the ground up?  Pretty sure they just took over a bunch of pre-built titles.  Of course, they've done expansions for some of those (old) titles but...I guess I'll revisit this thought again in 6-10 years if they've actually carried through with anything.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Arterius said:
    If they make a game that is the best parts of 1&2 I think they can make a successful game. My fear is DBG. I don't know enough about the company. I don't know if I played any of there game, save for the first 10 minutes of EQ2. However, I do know that not just on here but on MassivlyOP they are very much one of the most hated MMO companies

I'm with you there.  I would of course like very much a new game in the EverQuest franchise but do I trust DBG to make it?  I have no choice, but I also haven't a ton of faith.  Has DBG actually built a game from the ground up?  Pretty sure they just took over a bunch of pre-built titles.  Of course, they've done expansions for some of those (old) titles but...I guess I'll revisit this thought again in 6-10 years if they've actually carried through with anything.
    All true but a new beginning has to come from some place.  Maybe developers want to do more than up keeps on cash shop technology ?
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    EQ Next Next!

Sign me up!

Gut Out!
    PutrefeeAlBQuirkyQuizzical

What, me worry?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I can't see this being anything but a mobile game.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Firiona Vie Looks lovely there.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I would love another Everquest, but if this is a mobile title then NO!

I think they could just take EQ1 redo the graphic engine to be more modern and release it in the stages it was originally released. I think that would work. Retro ALL the way.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    As far as an(y) EQ mobile game goes:

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/475951/la-times-owner-nantworks-partner-with-daybreak-for-mobile-h1z1-everquest-games-more-mmorpg

Which, as @ChildoftheShadows says is not news but "olds" as it dates back to Sept 2018. And if you haven't heard of Nantworks before that is because they hadn't done any games .....

As to the linked article the quote is:

"DarkPaw's mission is to continue to expand upon the unique and amazing fantasy adventure that is Everquest and Everquest II and develop the next innovation for the franchise"

Which, as @cheeba says, is the type of noise Holly has made before.

Holly might dream about a new EQ game. Holly might think about what they might do - if only they had the money, if only they had the devs, if only .... - travelling home from work.

Until something more concrete is said though - well there is a big difference between "mission" and desire and "seriously working on".
    AlBQuirkyMendel
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Everquest Go

Go around, capturing rats and snakes

Careful, the snakes kick.
    AlBQuirkymoshraMargraveDragonJockeyPutrefeeTuor7

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Maybe they're realizing that EQ is their only consistent revenue and the TLP servers are part of that. I doubt they'd make anything to capture that audience though. They seem to keep trying to get the twitch audience.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Knowing Holly Longdale's longstanding hatred toward casual gamers, I'm not interested in whatever kind of hardcore game she's going to spew out, even in the EQ IP. I figure it will be EQ raiding with a smidgeon of dungeon crawling and overland for flavor.
    Narug

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Knowing Holly Longdale's longstanding hatred toward casual gamers, I'm not interested in whatever kind of hardcore game she's going to spew out, even in the EQ IP. I figure it will be EQ raiding with a smidgeon of dungeon crawling and overland for flavor.

Then play one of the thousands of games that are designed for casual game play.
    GeekyVorthanionNarug
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Its probably the sequel to Everquest: Next, Everquest: Never.

I am pretty sure it is never, never ever, going to happen.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    strawhat0981iixviiiixAlBQuirkyTuor7
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    we could probably see a new EQ game if Tencent acquires the new DarkPaw studio lol
    MargraveAlBQuirky

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    I think someone mentioned they were working on an EQ Battle Royale game.  But that was before Darkpaw became it's own studio.  So hopefully brighter minds have prevailed.
  • GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    moshra said:

Then play one of the thousands of games that are designed for casual game play.
    Amen!  I'll gladly take a more hardcore game that I hope Holly puts out.

Narug
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    All of daybreaks games are casual. What?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Arterius said:

On the bright side, all of the launched games that Daybreak has made from scratch so far have been really good.

More seriously, I recommend waiting until we have more information before deciding if the game is good or not.
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    DMKano said:
    Daybreak doesnt have the dev talent left nor the resources required to make a worthy successor - so....

There's that.

This is like finding out that there's a new space shuttle being designed.... by your 5 year old nephews.

Why not. They made the car you drew as a 5 year old kid and it seems to be working. :#

natpickGyva02rojoArcueidSovrathAlBQuirkyCryomatrixTuor7[Deleted User]
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited January 2020
    It's like a lotto ticket. The chance it will pay off is astronomically small. But having one allows you to hope. 
    MendelAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Hope is cheap, but development costs money.  Developers have figured out how to monetize Hope with all the crowdfunded, early-access, pregame money-raising tactics.  They simply give the players Hope and players give the developers money.  Hope costs next-to-nothing to build, just some well-chosen words,  a bit of conceptual level artwork, and a website (with store).  The returns for almost no work seems unbounded so far.  It's the same principle underlying every lottery system.  Raise people's hope, rake in cash.  Lottery systems at least actually deliver on their promises, for a very, very, very, very small number of individuals.

Conclusion: People really want new games, but developers aren't properly motivated to actually build new games.  We've given them the keys to the kingdom.

NildenAlBQuirkyTuor7Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.