Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG’s in 2020

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
I still enjoy my MMORPG’s in 2020 and been playing around 20 hours a week for the last decade (much less then in the 12 years before that)

but for the last 5 years or so, i been rotating around in the same games, playing them when they expand..

WoW
ESO
GW2
LOTRO
BDO (for the last few years)

with only one other game in mind i would like to play for its content, and thats FF14, really want to playtrough all its stories and content)
SWTOR also used to be in that cycle, but its been out of my Radar since BDO entered it..

But when i look to the future, there is not much that offers 
maybe Pantheon, if it offers a truely different experience from the above games..

But then let me ask you this question.
Do you need a truely refreshing mmorpg experience
or are you just like me happy as long as there is enough content to devour in your current games?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

AlBQuirky

Comments

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited January 2020
    Damn where do you get so much time.

Went from fanatic mmorpg player, to single player and some moba. Sometimes I try to pick up an "old" mmo for old time sakes but its lost it sparks.

Edit: Love Monster Hunter World Iceborn atm

• blunteybluntey Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I'm happy for the current mmo's content, but eventually i'm going to want something new again (5-7+ years).

FFXIV has a boatload of content, and it's one of, if not my favorite PVE MMO (PVP is kinda bad). They are shortening the Realm Reborn storyline in July, so if you want to experience the whole (and very long) thing, then I suggest to check it out before then.
    Cosmoguard
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    bluntey said:
    I'm happy for the current mmo's content, but eventually i'm going to want something new again (5-7+ years).

FFXIV has a boatload of content, and it's one of, if not my favorite PVE MMO (PVP is kinda bad). They are shortening the Realm Reborn storyline in July, so if you want to experience the whole (and very long) thing, then I suggest to check it out before then.
    Yes, i reckon that is what holds me back, i am mostly a PvE player, but need a good shot of PvP from time time

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Dragnelus said:

Went from fanatic mmorpg player, to single player and some moba. Sometimes I try to pick up an "old" mmo for old time sakes but its lost it sparks.

Having a 40 hour job that pays good..
    and children having left the house..

makes life and time management a lot easier..
    Cosmoguard

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Still having fun with the old games when it comes to MMOs. Sprinkle in some new releases and im good.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    I find it really hard to put this into words.

I do not need a refreshing experience to get me to play.

However, simply having content will also not get me to play.

What I do need is compelling SYSTEMS. Gameplay is king, and in an MMORPG longevity is also very important. If the game doesn't have the systems or longevity to keep it entertaining, I won't play it.

To give you an example, I require DEPTH in my combat systems. However, the last decade has seen the rise of action combat in mmorpgs. Action combat is always shallow as fuck, takes about 30seconds to master mentally and maybe 10-20 hours to master physically depending on your age. How long do you play an mmo for? For me, an mmo needs to be engaging for at least 6 months. so, if a game has action combat, i know that I'll find it engaging for week 1, but the next 25 weeks that I'd expect to be enjoying it, id be bored every time I entered combat. It doesn't make a difference how much content there is, if all that content is boring.

So, when looking at a game, either new or old, the first thing I look at is the systems. if they are good, then I'll start looking at content. I don't really care if the systems are based on old games, or modern games, or are completely refreshing in their originality, as long as the systems are good.

All this means that I haven't been able to find an MMORPG to play for any length of time in the last 7 years. the rise of action combat means virtually all modern games are too shallow and thus too boring for me personally. then there is the insistence of sticking with vertical progression, a system that i know to be really bad for the massively multiplayer genre. then there is the general absence of support roles, but i find sticking to the trinity, or even going role-less, also too shallow and restrictive.

Luckily for me, Camelot Unchained looks like it will provide me with what im looking for. It has a very deep combat system, so combat should be engaging for months/years. It is built on horizontal progression, essential for a PvP-focused MMORPG. It has a ton of roles, not just the trinity, which should allow for even more depth in combat with all the possibilities of group combinations. I'm not sure if it is on track to release in 2020, but im hopeful.
    AlBQuirky
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    TemTem is pretty refreshing for an MMO.   It's also a kickstarter that did well on their promises, to get into an "actually viable" early access.   It even improves a bit on Pokemon's combat in my opinion by using a stamina bar over PP being a pretty massive improvement, having larger health pools to minimize 1 hit KOs, and always being a doubles format.

There's probably a few other's floating around that are actually going to do something from KS/EA standpoints.   I guess there's always the next K-MMO.

jazz.be

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Dragnelus said:

Having a 40 hour job that pays good..
    and children having left the house..

makes life and time management a lot easier..
    Pfew idd :)

• DunmerSwitDunmerSwit Newbie CommonPosts: 9
    edited January 2020
    I have no hope for the future. Pantheon looks impressive, but I don't think it will escape this zeitgeist that seems to have infected everything. I need an mmo with a huge grind, a clear anti-solo prejudice, no instances, no fast travel. I've been craving this for years. But it's never going to come.

What the hell happened to MMOs? Wasn't it about the journey and the interactions with others in a persistent, shared world? Why does everything need to be solo friendly, atomized and easy? Even now that I'm older, I still don't understand the aversion to slow progression and this desire for fast, easy rewards. If I wanted fast immediate progression and an equal playing field, I would play a game that's not an MMO. And a barrier to pvp entry doesn't concern me so much. My appetite for pvp has greatly diminished.

Mildly hopeful for the Broadsword DAoC classic server proposal; although, I know they are going completely to smother it's spirit with quality of life changes. In the meanwhile, I'm thinking of picking up some old mmorpgs, maybe start on one of the Everquest classic servers, which I never played. Also, mulling over Project Gorgon.

Departed from mmos for ten years. Came back with WoW classic. Obviously was disappointed. Went to Lineage 2 classic and got level 20 in 15 minutes, lmao what? DAoC is dead. Endless sorrow, wtf. How can there not be a decent mmorpg.
    delete5230PutrefeeAlBQuirky
    I have no hope for the future. Pantheon looks impressive, but I don't think it will escape this zeitgeist that seems to have infected everything. I need an mmo with a huge grind, a clear anti-solo prejudice, no instances, no fast travel. I've been craving this for years. But it's never going to come.

What the hell happened to MMOs? Wasn't it about the journey and the interactions with others in a persistent, shared world? Why does everything need to be solo friendly, atomized and easy? Even now that I'm older, I still don't understand the aversion to slow progression and this desire for fast, easy rewards. If I wanted fast immediate progression and an equal playing field, I would play a game that's not an MMO. And a barrier to pvp entry doesn't concern me so much. My appetite for pvp has greatly diminished.

Mildly hopeful for the Broadsword DAoC classic server proposal; although, I know they are going completely to smother it's spirit with quality of life changes. In the meanwhile, I'm thinking of picking up some old mmorpgs, maybe start on one of the Everquest classic servers, which I never played. Also, mulling over Project Gorgon.

Departed from mmos for ten years. Came back with WoW classic. Obviously was disappointed. Went to Lineage 2 classic and got level 20 in 15 minutes, lmao what? DAoC is dead. Endless sorrow, wtf. How can there not be a decent mmorpg.
    To me MMO’s are still about the journey..
    I refuse to do an endgame that has you repeating the same content over and over agian
    Thats why i play several games..

I enjoy new content, exploring new area’s, doing quests that actually have a story to tell, do some PVP and PUG dungeons on the side..  i also ALT a lot

SOme games are better at this then others.. really like how GW2 and espescially ESO handle this.   WoW is moving further and further in the wrong direction.. where its near impossible to level alts to the same level as others mains..

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605

To me MMO’s are still about the journey..
    I refuse to do an endgame that has you repeating the same content over and over agian
    Thats why i play several games..

I enjoy new content, exploring new area’s, doing quests that actually have a story to tell, do some PVP and PUG dungeons on the side..  i also ALT a lot

SOme games are better at this then others.. really like how GW2 and espescially ESO handle this.   WoW is moving further and further in the wrong direction.. where its near impossible to level alts to the same level as others mains..
    I always wonder why people keep calling mmorpg single player games.  They are so casual, they won't grind the journey to reach endgame where they can do group content.  
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Nailed it !

Except Pantheon doesn't impress me until they stop simple character testing and show us what the game is about.  I'm off the band wagon until they show the game is even started. 
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    For MMORPG's, I bounce from WoW expansions, to LOTRO, to ESO and that's about it.
    I love following the story when I play, so usually end up solo while friends leave me behind.
    Plus, unless I'm with friends, I rarely do group content at all either way.
    FF14 has been said to have an awesome story. I've tried playing it a few times, but just couldn't get into it for some reason. Maybe I'll try it again.
    I'm not hanging my hat on any MMORPG coming out.
    I'll try New World, but will stick to the usual rotation.
    Until then, I have thousands of other games to play and slowly chip away at my backlog.

In any MMORPG, I hate getting to endgame and grinding away at what's available. I get burned out on that shit fast. I typically roll new classes and try to play through different parts of the story when that happens. Then, when re-rolling gets old I move on until next time old friend.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Still playing Ark Survival Evolved.  Got Aberration dlc on Steam sale for my alt-mule.  Hint: you can run supplies to your main.  Aber is a dlc players get stuck in with no way out.  Trick is to have an alt-mule running in cache.  Like chainsaw, doed, anklo, igu, cement paste, gasoline, frig, fabricator, generator, then build build build build build as fast as you can.  

SALE - https://store.steampowered.com/developer/studiowildcard

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    pretty much left the scene of PC / Console MMO since 2018, but i do play few Mobile MMO such as Toram Online and Rangarok, but again it has started to die down a bit and i haven't touch any MMO since Q3 of 2019. 

This year im suddenly looking forward to the release of New World, it is the only title that interest me to make a come back to MMO

notable is: EvE Echoes 

So What Now?

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Do you need a truely refreshing mmorpg experience
    or are you just like me happy as long as there is enough content to devour in your current games?

New is NOT a must for me. Fun is the number 1 criteria I seek. Also, with MMOs, how the game deals with interactions among players.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR