Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Safe, steady SWG Emulator?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey guys,

Is there a Star Wars Galaxies emulator that's known to be legit and virus-free, and that is also stable and likely to be around for a long time?  If you know of one, would you mind linking it?

Thanks!

Edit:  Ah, forget I asked.  I guess you need the original game discs to play.
Post edited by MightyUnclean on

Comments

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Hey guys,

Is there a Star Wars Galaxies emulator that's known to be legit and virus-free, and that is also stable and likely to be around for a long time?  If you know of one, would you mind linking it?

Thanks!

Edit:  Ah, forget I asked.  I guess you need the original game discs to play.
    I'd wait for SWGEMU launch. I wouldn't bother right now, because there will be a wipe and that's a lot of wasted grinding.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    SWG Legends is the most populated and best supported SWG server. If you never tried NGE in its final form it's a really solid game. If you need to play pre-cu then bloodfin is your only real answer. SWGemu servers were fun for a little but with no content or JTL I got bored really fast. 

Legends if you want content, thousands of players, plenty of pvp, different guild types, and JTL
    Bloodfin if you want to grind skills with macros while afk
    Octagon7711
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Utinni said:
    SWG Legends is the most populated and best supported SWG server. If you never tried NGE in its final form it's a really solid game. If you need to play pre-cu then bloodfin is your only real answer. SWGemu servers were fun for a little but with no content or JTL I got bored really fast. 

Legends if you want content, thousands of players, plenty of pvp, different guild types, and JTL
    Am I right that Legends, and maybe all the others, require the original game discs to play?
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    require the original game discs to play?
    My son plays / played and I was talking to him about that.  He said No, you can now just download the game.   Here's one I found with a quick search:

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/star-wars-galaxies-an-empire-divided-be9

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

edited January 2020
    Utinni said:

Am I right that Legends, and maybe all the others, require the original game discs to play?
    Use the link other poster provided. It's what 99% of players use. Pretty simple to set up, get into Tansarii Point Station and do noob quests or skip and go down to eisley and say hi to the folks, grab some ent/med buffs and get working on the legacy quest line which is actually pretty fun.
    Tokken
    Cool thanks guys!

Cool thanks guys!

Don't be afraid to ask folks for help if you're new to the game. Lots of people hanging out that can show ya the ropes!
    Octagon7711
  • HazenXIIIHazenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Been following SWGEmu since it's inception around the time of the first Combat Upgrade in the live version of SWG. I've been playing on Legends for several years on and off while I wait for SWGEmu to hit their 1.0 milestone where they wipe the Basilisk server and start Suncrusher. A lot of people gave up on SWGEmu however because of their recent announcement that 1.0 might launch without JTL due to the enormity of writing that code, so if anyone here can contribute in that way, they could use a dedicated JTL programmer.
    Hatefull
    edited January 2020
    Arterius said:
    Thanks for this been looking for a SWG server. Played on legends for about a hour or so playing the tutorial area. Now a lvl 4 Wookie Medic
    once you're on the ground you'll see all the folks hanging out!

Also check out their Discord, lots of great info and activity.
    Post edited by Utinni on
    HazenXIII said:
    Been following SWGEmu since it's inception around the time of the first Combat Upgrade in the live version of SWG. I've been playing on Legends for several years on and off while I wait for SWGEmu to hit their 1.0 milestone where they wipe the Basilisk server and start Suncrusher. A lot of people gave up on SWGEmu however because of their recent announcement that 1.0 might launch without JTL due to the enormity of writing that code, so if anyone here can contribute in that way, they could use a dedicated JTL programmer.
    Yea that project is losing steam because of the amount of work involved. At least for the pre-cu folks if they want JTL its a completely separate game even in NGE. I know folks on Legends that barely ever set foot on a planet.
    Arterius said:
    Utinni said:
    Arterius said:
    Thanks for this been looking for a SWG server. Played on legends for about a hour or so playing the tutorial area. Now a lvl 4 Wookie Medic

I'll do that thanks. First time playing SWG so going to need help
    Hey @Arterius is the game pretty smooth and stable so far?  Any lag problems?

Arterius said:
    Arterius said:
    Utinni said:
    Arterius said:

I'll do that thanks. First time playing SWG so going to need help
    Hey @Arterius is the game pretty smooth and stable so far?  Any lag problems?

I only played for a hour and half because I had to get some slip. Still in the tutorial area. There was only two other actual players with me on the station, so I can't speak for the whole game, but it was working fine for me. I haven't gotten to an actual planet though were there are going to be hundreds of people running around though.
    It'll be just fine when you get into the regular areas. Legends has a larger dev team and customer support staff than most actual MMO's these days. 
    [Deleted User]
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    It is running great for the wife and I we are so stoked about being in.
    Do you guys have a suggested guild I think we might go imp not sure yet

Abimor said:
    It is running great for the wife and I we are so stoked about being in.
    Do you guys have a suggested guild I think we might go imp not sure yet

I'm not as versed in the guilds on the server anymore, but the discord should have a channel for guild recruitment. It'll list the type (pvp, rp, pve, beastmaster etcetc) for city benefits and content they do. I always picked alignment based on the ships I wanted to fly and cosmetics I wanted to wear. Imps do have a sweet cape :)
    Imps are the only ones who can fly the Jedi Starfighter too right?
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Love SWG Legends.  Been playing it off and on for a few years.  Plays well and plenty of players around even on the starter space station.  Each class has it's own tutorial story that overlaps some with other classes.  

Played SWGEMU but I don't want to back to all that grinding. 

Legends gives one free character boost to 80 and you get all the reward perks that came out over the years of the original game, some perks, only for one character other for all characters you create, so every character gets that space yacht.  :-)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Love SWG Legends.  Been playing it off and on for a few years.  Plays well and plenty of players around even on the starter space station.  Each class has it's own tutorial story that overlaps some with other classes.  

Legends gives one free character boost to 80 and you get all the reward perks that came out over the years of the original game, some perks, only for one character other for all characters you create, so every character gets that space yacht.  :-)
    Does Legends have a pay system?
    What do you mean by pay system? Can you donate?
  • lin8995lin8995 Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    SWG Legends is the most populated and best bolstered SWG server. On the off chance that you never attempted NGE in its last structure, it's an extremely strong game. Been playing it now and again for a couple of years. Plays well and a ton of players around even on the starter space station.
    Octagon7711
    Abimor said:
    What do you mean by pay system? Can you donate?
    I've never seen anything like that. You might be able to donate to help cover server costs like P99 etc? Not sure. You can't buy anything.
    Abimor said:
    Imps are the only ones who can fly the Jedi Starfighter too right?
    The quest for the Eta-2 is imperial but anyone can fly it.  https://swg.fandom.com/wiki/Eta-2_Actis_Interceptor
    edited January 2020
    My wife and I talked about it and were going to treat it as we would any other game and just donate our monthly fee why we play. if you go to their website they post the financials and have a donate here button 
    Post edited by Abimor on
    Octagon7711
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Does Legends have a pay system?
    I haven't spent anything on it in all these years.  I do think they take donations.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

@MightyUnclean have you given it a try yet? If you have what are your impressions? I made it to space with my structure trader I also got his profession to lvl 10 so I can build wind harvesters. it has been fun.  

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I really wanted to like this game but man, the combat pretty much ruined it for me. I played a Jedi to the mid 40s and every fight was the same simple rotation, over and over again. That might not have been a problem if the animations weren't so inconsistent (sometimes firing properly, other times not at all). The way they sped things up with the NGE didn't translate too well with those pre-cu animations, imo. After seeing that I wouldn't really be getting any other abilities and that my current rotation was more or less what I'd be using at end-game, I decided to pack it in. It's a  shame too because the game pretty much ticks every other box I have (aside from perhaps having more meaningful solo content, I guess).

I know this post comes off as really negative but I'm not joking when I say I REALLY want to like this game. I've just become such a snob in terms of combat these days. It's more of a personal problem than anything, and it's frustrating.
    [Deleted User]