Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Magic Comes Full Circle With Cryptic CEO Steve D'Angelo In New Interview

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageMagic Comes Full Circle With Cryptic CEO Steve D'Angelo In New Interview

Magic: Legends is coming from Cryptic Studios, though the studio has a history with the IP thanks to CEO Steve D'Angelo. In an interview with Game Informer, D'Angelo talks about his history with Magic: The Gathering as well as how the upcoming MMO was pitched.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    This guy is real and knows wtf he's talking about.

Compare this to some other streams where people running their games need to have other people ask them the most basic questions and even then they struggle to give an honest answer.

Not saying this game will be fantastic but at least now everyone knows they are starting off in a rough spot and working up from there.

Hearing this guy speak about the opposition to getting the Magic license then saying "why not" is more of what the gaming industry needs IMO.
    A lot more "why not" for everyone please.
    Greatnessetlarsakin13ultimateduckMcGamerxybedoutThupliinfomatz
  • cloudacvcloudacv Member UncommonPosts: 210

BruceYee said:

Compare this to some other streams where people running their games need to have other people ask them the most basic questions and even then they struggle to give an honest answer.

Not saying this game will be fantastic but at least now everyone knows they are starting off in a rough spot and working up from there.

Hearing this guy speak about the opposition to getting the Magic license then saying "why not" is more of what the gaming industry needs IMO.

Thanks for being the first person to not be completely toxic. I am still going to try the game just because it’s an ARPG. I agree with you people need to take more risks. Making a magic arpg is a definite risk.
    McGamer
  • GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    Wow great video, really insightful and his enthusiasm for wanting the players to know the IP! Cannot believe their first task was basically read all the books over.
    McGamerZenJelly

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 558

cloudacv said:

BruceYee said:

Thanks for being the first person to not be completely toxic. I am still going to try the game just because it’s an ARPG. I agree with you people need to take more risks. Making a magic arpg is a definite risk.

In case you guys missed it too, we talked to the EP about the MMO elements of the gameplay as well! https://www.mmorpg.com/magic-legends/interviews/magic-legends-exclusive-interview-with-executive-producer-stephen-ricossa-1000014264
    ultimateduckThupliinfomatz
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited January 2020
    Rule of thumb: if you see a person named "Angelo" - avoid the game like a plague. Both Amatangelo and D'Angelo destroy the games they touch. D'Angleo is responsible for idiotic RNG progression / extreme grind updates in STO and Neverwinter after Cryptic was acquired by Chinese company. Apparently Magic: Legend is going to be yet another typical SE Asian grinder / gatcha if D'Angelo is involved.
    Panzerbeorne39McGamerAsm0deusThupli

Thank you for your time!

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    edited January 2020

Craptic talks crap about their soulless cash grab pay to win fiasco and IP abuse. More at 11.

Lets be frank here. A MTG game that was not a blatant cash grab, really would not be true to the IP now would it?

Looks promising by the way.
    ScotMcGamerGorweinfomatz
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    edited January 2020

hfztt said:

Craptic talks crap about their soulless cash grab pay to win fiasco and IP abuse. More at 11.

Lets be frank here. A MTG game that was not a blatant cash grab, really would not be true to the IP now would it?

The original card game was seen a disgraceful money spinner by role-players who at that time did buy these sorts of games. But the game became a phenomenon as a kids toy and the player base exploded. Indeed I have seen people argue that loot boxes are OK because we had things like "trading card" games in the past. This kind of card game and loot boxes are both gambling in games and that needs to be removed from gaming.
    McGamer
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    I doubt Wizards would allow this game to be made if it were garbage. They are fairly protective of MTG.

I, for one, like all things MTG and hope this game will be solid.
    McGamerPo_ggPemmin
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    When it comes down to it, WotC went with the lowest bidder like in any construction job IRL apparently. I see way too many naive comments here and not enough truth. Cryptic Studios has a horrible track record with any IP and just because their guy has a silver tongue, it doesn't mean they can somehow "magically" escape their real history. I am a long time MTG player, but I fully expect this new IP to bomb.
    Asm0deus
    edited January 2020
    McGamer said:
    When it comes down to it, WotC went with the lowest bidder like in any construction job IRL apparently. I see way too many naive comments here and not enough truth. Cryptic Studios has a horrible track record with any IP and just because their guy has a silver tongue, it doesn't mean they can somehow "magically" escape their real history. I am a long time MTG player, but I fully expect this new IP to bomb.

It didn't seem like they went with the lowest bidder because they didn't come up with the idea to market in the first place. In fact, it seemed as if Wizards were against any action type game being made from the get go. According to the interview, an idea was pitched to them that they liked, so they gave the green light to have it made.

They guy didn't have just a silver tongue. He had in depth knowledge of the game and how it worked putting him in a unique position to develop a game.

• newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited January 2020

Scot said:

hfztt said:

The original card game was seen a disgraceful money spinner by role-players who at that time did buy these sorts of games. But the game became a phenomenon as a kids toy and the player base exploded. Indeed I have seen people argue that loot boxes are OK because we had things like "trading card" games in the past. This kind of card game and loot boxes are both gambling in games and that needs to be removed from gaming.

I've seen the same arguments regarding 'Trading cards' in comparison to loot boxes or digital cards-

The difference being I owned a tangible product that I could pull out of my closet (*I actually cannot since I sold my Magic cards for a nice sum a long time ago) and use whenever I wished or sell. I'm not certain I made a profit or not when I sold mine because I had purchased many packs and never really kept track of how much I had spent- But I made enough for a downpayment on a car.

Anything digital costs almost nothing to make but oddly enough costs as much to the consumer as a product that was created, printed, shipped and sold in stores (with each level of distribution actually making a small cut) and you no longer own anything- Your use being subject to their whims more or less.
    Po_gg
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited January 2020
    newbismx said:
    The difference being I owned a tangible product that I could pull out of my closet (*I actually cannot since I sold my Magic cards for a nice sum a long time ago) and use whenever I wished or sell.
    Physical product is really a difference, just as Gorwe's mention of the secondary market. But beyond those Scot's right, it was the same gamble technique lootboxes use.
    I didn't like it either, and was my main reason why I stopped MtG in the late '90s. Even with using the trade dens ("hubs" - web was still in its infancy yet), and was building my favourite decks from direct purchased cards, the RNG factor you couldn't really eliminate.

On the topic, I can't really add anything to what I posted earlier... I like Cryptic, I like MtG, still I pass on this one since I despise diablo clones.
    It might end up as a solid game like ultimateduck hopes for, might be even popular based on how these games are welcomed by the masses, I just personally can't stand them, so I just stay away.

In part I even root for its success, maybe then they will have more budget for CO and STO as well... but I don't have high hopes for CO, considering he (the CEO) talked a lot on how good they are with the IPs, Trek and D&D, and not a single word on the IP which they don't simply handle but fully own...  (hint, maybe because they aren't really good with that one)
    edited January 2020
    Po_gg said:
    Physical product is really a difference, just as Gorwe's mention of the secondary market. But beyond those Scot's right, it was the same gamble technique lootboxes use.
    I didn't like it either, and was my main reason why I stopped MtG in the late '90s. Even with using the trade dens ("hubs" - web was still in its infancy yet), and was building my favourite decks from direct purchased cards, the RNG factor you couldn't really eliminate.

On the topic, I can't really add anything to what I posted earlier... I like Cryptic, I like MtG, still I pass on this one since I despise diablo clones.
    It might end up as a solid game like ultimateduck hopes for, might be even popular based on how these games are welcomed by the masses, I just personally can't stand them, so I just stay away.

In part I even root for its success, maybe then they will have more budget for CO and STO as well... but I don't have high hopes for CO, considering he (the CEO) talked a lot on how good they are with the IPs, Trek and D&D, and not a single word on the IP which they don't simply handle but fully own...  (hint, maybe because they aren't really good with that one)

I've seen a lot of people refer to this as a Diablo clone. Why isn't Diablo a Baldurs Gate clone? I don't think all isolinear type games are necessarily Diablo clones. UO was isolinear and it isn't a clone.  I don't even think Diablo 3 is a very good Diablo clone in terms of overall gameplay...lol

Magic Legends isn't even isolinear. You can move the camera.

On a side note, I think Wizards should send you a physical copy of any card that you purchase with actual money for games like MTG Arena and possibly thins one.
  • DeutschinDeutschin Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I like the game play but when would it launch?
  • jaymesbondjaymesbond Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Po_gg said:

I bet the Champions Online players thought so too when Star Trek Online was announced and what happened after that?  I bet the Star Trek Online players thought so too when Neverwinter was announced and what happened after that?  I bet both the STO and NW players thought they would get more after their games were ported to consoles and what happened after that?  If anything, the exact opposite happened, like the resources that came out of these games to go toward new games never came back.

I don't know why people think Magic: Legends would be any good, it's not like there isn't literally a decade's worth of evidence to the contrary.  Hear anything good about Champions Online?  See anything good posted about Star Trek Online?  When was the last good thing anyone said about Neverwinter?

To the people who think Wizards of the Coast will keep a tight rein on this game: isn't the Dungeons & Dragons IP owned by WotC?  And, isn't there a game developed by Cryptic that is based on D&D?  How's that game?  How's that game doing?

• WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    He looks like a cross of Joe Pesci and some random creep
    Po_gg said:

I bet the Champions Online players thought so too when Star Trek Online was announced and what happened after that?  I bet the Star Trek Online players thought so too when Neverwinter was announced and what happened after that?  I bet both the STO and NW players thought they would get more after their games were ported to consoles and what happened after that?  If anything, the exact opposite happened, like the resources that came out of these games to go toward new games never came back.

I don't know why people think Magic: Legends would be any good, it's not like there isn't literally a decade's worth of evidence to the contrary.  Hear anything good about Champions Online?  See anything good posted about Star Trek Online?  When was the last good thing anyone said about Neverwinter?

To the people who think Wizards of the Coast will keep a tight rein on this game: isn't the Dungeons & Dragons IP owned by WotC?  And, isn't there a game developed by Cryptic that is based on D&D?  How's that game?  How's that game doing?

I have never seen an iteration of Dungeons and Dragons done correctly, whether it be a movie or a cartoon or a video game. Anytime anyone tries, it fails.

Star Trek is hit and miss and I have nothing there. Some things work, other's don't. In general, I like most things Star Trek. I think STO was done poorly, but I honestly haven't put more than mayby 2 hours into the game and that was a decade ago.

On a flip side, I've never seen MTG done bad. Whether Wizards just knows how to direct people to work with their game or the game simply translates into other things well, it's always done well.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited January 2020
    Actually I said I don't have high hopes... but as Carrey said (as Lloyd) there's a chance :)

For the rest, about CO I used post some positives, during the last few years there was some money trickling down towards them, it got some new content, a new zone (ok, "new" zone in brackets), some new powers, lots of new cosmetics, etc.
    And lootboxes sadly.

STO got some decent crossover with Discovery, and while it was on the "other" side of the landscape, still I believe it fits for your anything good posted about STO question: https://massivelyop.com/2020/01/23/why-i-play-is-star-trek-online-worth-playing-in-2020/   So, answer is two days ago.

When was the last time good things were said about Neverwinter, probably before Mod 16 :)  ok, in this point you may be right...

On a flip side, I've never seen MTG done bad. Whether Wizards just knows how to direct people to work with their game or the game simply translates into other things well, it's always done well.
    Never? What about Battlemage?
    That was pure garbage, and guess what, that was the only MtG game (up to this point, until Magic Legends) which tried to insert action gameplay into the mix.
    No wonder it crashed and burned.

Looks like the 20+ years have made the WotC people forget that while they've listened the sales pitch of "We'll make a diablo-like action game from MtG and it will be awesome"
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I liked CO, I liked STO and I also liked NW. I guess there is something wrong with me, I don’t care and actually am looking forward to this. It won’t be my main game though, none of their precious work was, perhaps that is why the cash shop shenenigans haven’t bothered me at all.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Po_gg said:
    Never? What about Battlemage?
    That was pure garbage, and guess what, that was the only MtG game (up to this point, until Magic Legends) which tried to insert action gameplay into the mix.
    No wonder it crashed and burned.

Looks like the 20+ years have made the WotC people forget that while they've listened the sales pitch of "We'll make a diablo-like action game from MtG and it will be awesome"

Never even heard of Battlemage. Looks like it was published in 1996...lol. That's 3 years after the creation of MTG. I doubt they had a high a standard for offshoot products as they do now.

lahnmir said:
    I liked CO, I liked STO and I also liked NW. I guess there is something wrong with me, I don’t care and actually am looking forward to this. It won’t be my main game though, none of their precious work was, perhaps that is why the cash shop shenenigans haven’t bothered me at all.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I loved CO, didn't care for STO and thought Neverwinter was done well, just not a good example of D&D. You're not alone. ;)
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited January 2020
    Bleh...cryptic still dislike them for for STO and Neverwinter..... and damn impressive tartar build up.....

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    lotrlore said:

cloudacv said:

BruceYee said:

In case you guys missed it too, we talked to the EP about the MMO elements of the gameplay as well! https://www.mmorpg.com/magic-legends/interviews/magic-legends-exclusive-interview-with-executive-producer-stephen-ricossa-1000014264

There are no MMO elements.

It's going to be three players. Three players is not a MMO.

Stop it.
    Asm0deus

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• jaymesbondjaymesbond Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Po_gg said:
    Actually I said I don't have high hopes... but as Carrey said (as Lloyd) there's a chance :)
    I don't want to bring you down for being hopeful, but if there's going to be any good things about Magic: Legends, we would've seen some changes in Cryptic's other three games by now.  I don't say these things to be pessimistic, but if no one talks about their other games' shortcomings, how would new players ever know?
    Po_gg said:

STO got some decent crossover with Discovery, and while it was on the "other" side of the landscape, still I believe it fits for your anything good posted about STO question: https://massivelyop.com/2020/01/23/why-i-play-is-star-trek-online-worth-playing-in-2020/   So, answer is two days ago.
    Just read that article and I just feel it's so shallow and superficial. It doesn't even touch lootboxes or the overpriced in-game store, which doesn't make sense because the game shoves it in your face with a window popping up every time you log in with your character telling you about the store or a bunch of text popping up across your screen whenever someone wins the grand prize from a lootbox.  That is casino-style manipulation: mimicking the lights and sirens going off in a casino when someone wins because the player has no idea how many lootboxes have been opened, has no idea how much money was spent, and has no idea how many losers there are because all he sees is that one person winning the grand prize and thinks he can get it himself.

The positives the article talks about is the story from six or seven years ago, which was probably the high point of the game.  The game has been steadily declining with less content released, yet releasing higher priced ships and introducing three additional types of lootboxes.

Oh, I really hate when people mention that the developers are passionate or they really love the IP that their game is based on.  So they're passionate, so what?  It feels they're trying to deflect from problems with the game.