Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project: Survival

124

Comments

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 30,930
    Kyleran said:

    Random dude pro tip.  Blizzard rarely announces a new project until quite sure it can and will be delivered. 


    More companies should do this. 

    Oh, I get it, they are excited and proud of what they have made and want to share it, want to see if others are equally as excited.

    But most players don't have enough imagination to see the rough, unfinished work and realize it will go through many iterations before it is finished.

    Or, they will get attached to some feature or class or "look" and when developers have to change it they will cry and scream and yell conspiracy.

    Yup, better to announce once it's mostly done.
    Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

    Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w


    Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

    Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

    Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

    Random dude pro tip.  Blizzard rarely announces a new project until quite sure it can and will be delivered. 


    More companies should do this. 

    Oh, I get it, they are excited and proud of what they have made and want to share it, want to see if others are equally as excited.

    But most players don't have enough imagination to see the rough, unfinished work and realize it will go through many iterations before it is finished.

    Or, they will get attached to some feature or class or "look" and when developers have to change it they will cry and scream and yell conspiracy.

    Yup, better to announce once it's mostly done.

    To be fair, 

    Blizzard isn't like most companies, they don't need to advertise in the early stages, they don't need cash, they don't need hype. 

    A burgeoning company has to hype its products to keep cash incoming, very few companies have the luxury that blizzard has. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    "hey guise- I'm making a game. Public test will be soon!"

    2 days later...

    "hey guise! I'm not really making a game but I'm making a commitment to release a video series. One new episode Monday through friday at 9 p.m.!"

    2 days later....

    Welp, that lasted long. JamesP keeps proving the haters wrong.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

    Random dude pro tip.  Blizzard rarely announces a new project until quite sure it can and will be delivered. 


    More companies should do this. 

    Oh, I get it, they are excited and proud of what they have made and want to share it, want to see if others are equally as excited.

    But most players don't have enough imagination to see the rough, unfinished work and realize it will go through many iterations before it is finished.

    Or, they will get attached to some feature or class or "look" and when developers have to change it they will cry and scream and yell conspiracy.

    Yup, better to announce once it's mostly done.

    To be fair, 

    Blizzard isn't like most companies, they don't need to advertise in the early stages, they don't need cash, they don't need hype. 

    A burgeoning company has to hype its products to keep cash incoming, very few companies have the luxury that blizzard has. 
    Somewhat true ,there is more to it,a much bigger picture but yeah somewhat true.Blizzard does a lot more marketing than you might think,most are just blinded by the deceptive marketing done over the last 10 years.There is a LOT of buddy buddy going on,you make my game sound better than it is  and i'll do you a favor in return.
    When Angry Joe blasted Destiny 1 he came right out and said he did not expect to get a free copy of D2 because of how much he roasted the game.Angry Joe is in the same realm as Blizzard,he can sort fo get away with it but most know they can't and give more than favorable reviews and WAY too high of scores for sub par half assed games.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • MyobiMyobi Member UncommonPosts: 63
    edited June 2019
    JamesP said:
    Starting tomorrow I have made a personal commitment to start posting to my youtube channel again... For the next 6 months (At which point I will evaluate and plan from there) I will be posting 1 video per day Monday through Friday. Here is the schedule for the upcoming week:

    Schedule for the Week of June 17th:
    Monday - Intro to the Mirror based MMO Framework
    Tuesday - Revamped Beginners C#
    Wednesday - Unity basics
    Thursday - Game Design 101
    Friday - Using uMMORPG to quickly Prototype your design

     ** The Series on Friday on how to quickly prototype your design using uMMO will greatly take advantage of all of Fhiz's VIP Level 2 and lower addons.

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAvq2fIVpQYPrZChxZhPaRw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9c_KttvQPU

    This one was almost as good as the previous one you announced on RPG Codex about the truth behind Greed Monger, 8/10 metacritic.

    Edited: ROFLMAO, ahahahahaha, I just noticed his signature, hahahaahhaha.
    Post edited by Myobi on
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    edited June 2019
    oh this guy again... good lord, another new game? how many are you going to start and never finish?
  • MyobiMyobi Member UncommonPosts: 63
    edited July 2019
    It has been awhile now, is there any updates on that sweet camp fire UI?

    Also, about that youtube series, when you said June 17th, of what year exactly?

    Really looking forward for those updates!
  • MyobiMyobi Member UncommonPosts: 63
    edited July 2019
    Could anyone imagine a world were failing stops all progress. Ben Franklin, Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla, Wright Brothers , the first bi-pedal human.... Imagine that world were failing kills all progress or future attemps.....
    Did you srly just compared Proctor to Nikola Tesla? Woah.

    I said it before amd I'll say it again, failing is not the issue here.

    This guy already announced over 30 projects along the years, it's not like they "failed", because that sort of implies that there was an actual attempt to finish them, but he just keeps giving up on them after just getting it's bare bones up. Tell me, what do you think it's the purpose of announcing this in it's current condition around the Internet? Why do you think it's something that most video game companies don't do, including indies companies? 
  • MyobiMyobi Member UncommonPosts: 63
    edited July 2019
    JamesP said:
    Last I checked there is no KickStarter or anything... So no begging for money or even getting money for the game until it actually deserves money.


    https://www.patreon.com/UnityMMOCreators

    Look at him proving us haters wrong yet again, one lie at a time.

    "help budding Indie MMO Developers reach their dreams of creating the next Generation of Indie MMOs" <3
    Kyleran
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Myobi said:
    JamesP said:
    Last I checked there is no KickStarter or anything... So no begging for money or even getting money for the game until it actually deserves money.


    https://www.patreon.com/UnityMMOCreators

    Look at him proving us haters wrong yet again, one lie at a time.

    "help budding Indie MMO Developers reach their dreams of creating the next Generation of Indie MMOs" <3
    Unbelievable. 

    Hes gone. Lasted 2 days making his youtube series. He'll be back with greedzombie extreme mmorpg in a few months
  • TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629
    edited July 2019
    JamesP said:
    Starting tomorrow I have made a personal commitment to start posting to my youtube channel again... For the next 6 months (At which point I will evaluate and plan from there) I will be posting 1 video per day Monday through Friday. Here is the schedule for the upcoming week:

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAvq2fIVpQYPrZChxZhPaRw
    Sad you gave up. I personally was looking forward to more videos :( but we know you'll come back next year. :p
    Post edited by Tybost on
  • MyobiMyobi Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Tybost said:
    JamesP said:
    Starting tomorrow I have made a personal commitment to start posting to my youtube channel again... For the next 6 months (At which point I will evaluate and plan from there) I will be posting 1 video per day Monday through Friday. Here is the schedule for the upcoming week:

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAvq2fIVpQYPrZChxZhPaRw
    Sad you gave up. I personally was looking forward to more videos :( but we know you'll come back next year. :p
    Nha, you'll still get one or two announcements before the end of this year., the average is 3-5 games a year, rise of heroes & greed monger re-announcements being in every year menu... shit, every time this guy farts anything related to Greed Monger MessivelyOP writes a couple of articles on it, so why the fuck not.
    Tybost
  • MyobiMyobi Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Tybost said:
    JamesP said:
    Starting tomorrow I have made a personal commitment to start posting to my youtube channel again... For the next 6 months (At which point I will evaluate and plan from there) I will be posting 1 video per day Monday through Friday. Here is the schedule for the upcoming week:

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAvq2fIVpQYPrZChxZhPaRw
    Sad you gave up. I personally was looking forward to more videos :( but we know you'll come back next year. :p
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/kingdoms-faction-based-sandbox-mmorpg.754088/

    Told ya, it's exactly the same shit as usual, but with a different name, enjoy a week of updates before it goes dark again.
  • JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595
    lol wow never takes you long to find out about stuff does it. I had no intention of it getting out on here or other forums until I had the first pre-alpha to a playable state with the features I have planned for the first pre-alpha. However I was posting on the unity forum in the work in progress forum since it IS a work in progress. 

    I've been working on it off and on through out the summer and as you can see it's using the same framework I was talking about in this very thread just with different graphics and a far more advanced version of the framework then the version presented previously in this thread.

    As for enjoying a week of updates before I go dark again I doubt you will even get a full week of updates at least NOT here. I'm going to mainly focus on providing updates through the game's discord server and once in a while on Unity's forum. I have no desire or interest in providing updates on public non-game development forums until I am ready to get people in game. Going public and trying to keep up with the PR side of things is a full time job by it's self and is time better spent on actually developing the prototype.

    Hope you have a fantastic day! :)

    Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

  • JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Since this thread has been revived here's one of my latest screenshots during combat testing... The Combat system still has a long ways to go before it's working the way I want it to but it's working good enough for now.


    Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

  • MyobiMyobi Member UncommonPosts: 63
    JamesP said:
    lol wow never takes you long to find out about stuff does it. I had no intention of it getting out on here or other forums until I had the first pre-alpha to a playable state with the features I have planned for the first pre-alpha. However I was posting on the unity forum in the work in progress forum since it IS a work in progress.

    Hope you have a fantastic day! :)
    … at this point I don’t even have to find shit at all, people are just sending this shit to me:



    I’m grateful for it though, it always provides me a good laugh or two. Also, the previous +30 projects you’ve announced were also “work in progress”, a short progress every time, but progress nonetheless.
    JamesP said:
    I've been working on it off and on through out the summer and as you can see it's using the same framework I was talking about in this very thread just with different graphics and a far more advanced version of the framework then the version presented previously in this thread.

    Hope you have a fantastic day! :)
    Yes, people already noticed that the “game” is always the same, just different assets and a brand-new name.
    JamesP said:
    As for enjoying a week of updates before I go dark again I doubt you will even get a full week of updates at least NOT here. I'm going to mainly focus on providing updates through the game's discord server and once in a while on Unity's forum. I have no desire or interest in providing updates on public non-game development forums until I am ready to get people in game. Going public and trying to keep up with the PR side of things is a full time job by it's self and is time better spent on actually developing the prototype.

    Hope you have a fantastic day! :)
    It never stopped you before though, still best of luck with that!


    PS: The text formatting in this forum is just dreadful.
  • JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Just a little update on this I am still working on this prototype. I still have a long ways to go on it but I haven't giving up on it either. It's harder to find time to work on it now that I am back in school and getting ready to head to College. Getting a Degree in Interactive Media where I will officially be learning Networking, Database management, security, and a bunch of other topics related to MMOs. 

    Some recent screenshots from development over the last couple months:


















    Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,200
    Damn already farther along than pantheon is. Good job man.
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 41,495
    edited January 2020
    Looking better than COE as well

     ;) 
    Putrefee

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595
    The World, assets, ect. are mostly all place holders. This is meant as a Prototype and NOT a full complete game. The UI still needs a ton of work but for development there is no need to have a shiny state of the art UI when everything is very much in a state of flux. The UI is meant to give a rough feel for how things should be and is meant to be flexible enough to be changed as needed.

    The Combat still needs a HUGE amount of work but enough of it is there to allow you to kill mobs and be killed by mobs when a large pack of Wolves decide to attack at once.

    The World is comprised of Chunks each chunk being 1k by 1k meters. Chunks are loaded in a 3x3 grid around the player and is loaded and unloaded as the player moves around.

    At the moment each Chunk is a self contained Island or Ocean Chunk. Each Island has it's own resources, mobs, build-able area, and control point. I will be adding a Non-Instanced Dungeon to each Island once I start work on that part of the prototype. 

    Ocean chunks will have their own unique mobs and encounters as well as facilitate Ship to Ship combat. 

    Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

  • PutrefeePutrefee Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I have much respect for Stardew Valley's ConcernedApe. 

    He built the game he wanted at the level he could and it resonated with a lot of people.

    Build the game you want, something you love and even if no one else likes it, at least you will. 

    Staying organized and focused on one project for years can help. I personally suck at that, which is why I make a living helping more focused (+intelligent, +competent) people achieve their objectives.
  • JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Worked on Character Creation a little this morning.


    Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,200
    Putrefee said:
    I have much respect for Stardew Valley's ConcernedApe. 

    He built the game he wanted at the level he could and it resonated with a lot of people.

    Build the game you want, something you love and even if no one else likes it, at least you will. 

    Staying organized and focused on one project for years can help. I personally suck at that, which is why I make a living helping more focused (+intelligent, +competent) people achieve their objectives.
    The same story with Project Gorgon. It might not be my cup of tea but damn do I respect the folks who've been making it for years.
  • JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Been working further on my UMA (Avatars) integration. Got Armor so it's now equip-able.






    Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

  • JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595
    A shot I took during sun set...


    Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

Sign In or Register to comment.