Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for MMO with grouping and lots of socialization

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey guys,

I should probably know better than to ask this, but are there any active MMOs that encourage grouping and socialization, especially where you develop a group of friends that you level and grind with?  Old school or new are both fine.  I recently tried Project: Gorgon, and while it was a unique game with a small and dedicated community, I found that even there, most people soloed or powered through dungeons.  I miss the old days of EQ where grouping was basically required, so you ended up making good friends to advance with, and the pace was slow enough that you had time to chat.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Dlusion333Dlusion333 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    World of Warcraft is first to come to mind because of the grouping and forcing you to socialize. There is the Raid finder but alot of people enjoy running with guilds/friends.
     Almost any MMO would be good but sadly I dont have anything in mind that stands out. =/ 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

FF14
    Octagon7711
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    I don't know of any that require actual socialization.

GW2 you can kind of auto group if people are around doing the same quest but they usually leave without a word immediately after. Most new games are like this. ArcheAge Unchained is a little better but it's been run poorly in the past so it's hard to recommend it without reservation.

I'd stick to older games. If you haven't tried Dark Age of Camelot, it would be a start. It's free to try. I hear there is a SWG shard, but I don't know how it is set up and I don't trust shards. Maybe Asherons Call or Anarchy Online?
  • GravendGravend Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Socialization and grouping are kinda dead in modern mmos. The only way you'll get the old school experience is to try and find an old school mmo, such as everquest, which is a dinosaur of a game now, or community to join. The community is much more important than the game really. WoW required grouping for higher level mythic plus, but that is in no way social hour, it's just a zerg fest, run as fast as you can borefest anymore. Good luck to you though, hopefully others on the site have more insight than i do. To me, the old school, social mmo is dead.
    Putrefee
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I was thinking about SWG, I play SWG Legends from time to time, it's a great game but grouping isn't required all the time.  Few games do.  The last Final Fantasy MMO has required grouping at certain points I've heard.  
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PutrefeePutrefee Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Gravend said:
    Socialization and grouping are kinda dead in modern mmos. The only way you'll get the old school experience is to try and find an old school mmo, such as everquest, which is a dinosaur of a game now, or community to join. The community is much more important than the game really. WoW required grouping for higher level mythic plus, but that is in no way social hour, it's just a zerg fest, run as fast as you can borefest anymore. Good luck to you though, hopefully others on the site have more insight than i do. To me, the old school, social mmo is dead.
    I agree with Gravend. Old school games, communities or roleplay rulesets tend to be the best for socialization, in my experience.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    World of Warcraft is first to come to mind because of the grouping and forcing you to socialize. There is the Raid finder but a lot of people enjoy running with guilds/friends.
     Almost any MMO would be good but sadly I don't have anything in mind that stands out. =/ 
    Grouping is automated most of the time and once in a group there is usually no socializing and not even really any group/team work.I would say the last 10-20 groups did not meet any criteria other than seeing a group flag.

As to socializing ,there has never been that inside of rpg's unless you are in a static/guild group.

The TRUE grouping rpg's,EQ1/FFXi would tend to cater to the latter,a static group of friends.Modern games like Wow for example are just rush through an instance as fast as possible,the only time someone says something is if your doing something wrong or they don't like.

So when i see the "LOT's" of socializing part,the ONLY answer would be to form a static group within a game,otherwise that game will not exist anywhere.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Hey guys,

I should probably know better than to ask this, but are there any active MMOs that encourage grouping and socialization, especially where you develop a group of friends that you level and grind with?  Old school or new are both fine.  I recently tried Project: Gorgon, and while it was a unique game with a small and dedicated community, I found that even there, most people soloed or powered through dungeons.  I miss the old days of EQ where grouping was basically required, so you ended up making good friends to advance with, and the pace was slow enough that you had time to chat.

Thanks for any advice!
    I am very sorry but I don't really know of any slow paced modern games and Discord seems to be where the social groups are at these days. IMHO, GW2 has some really great WvW social groups going on with it, so does Crowfall, but they are all in Discord. The good part of that, is you don't need to log into the game to keep up with what is going on, also, if you find a good guild/discord group, you can go with them across many various games, so there are a lot of advantages.

But, If you are like me, and don't like listening to people chatter while you try to play a game, this becomes a real problem. I still join the groups, so that I have that social network, but you need to know what will work for you.
    Theocritus
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Astro6Astro6 Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Phantsy Star Online 2 has the most social groups i have seen in any game you often see things like fashion contests and the like going on.
    It has a system that allows players to keep up with friends as well as slow content.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Astro6 said:
    Phantsy Star Online 2 has the most social groups i have seen in any game you often see things like fashion contests and the like going on.
    It has a system that allows players to keep up with friends as well as slow content.
    Not saying you are wrong, but this is almost adbot behaviour.
    Gdemami
  • Mono45Mono45 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I would say group information contains the details about a lot of writing content options. Now many students prefer to find out the https://edubirdie.org/edubirdie-review-the-most-honest-and-reliable/ platform which provides the written reviews of any kind of content which is not easily available for the students. Many groups contain online tips about the writing service which is always helpful for everyone.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Ungood said:
    Hey guys,

Thanks for any advice!
    I am very sorry but I don't really know of any slow paced modern games and Discord seems to be where the social groups are at these days. IMHO, GW2 has some really great WvW social groups going on with it, so does Crowfall, but they are all in Discord. The good part of that, is you don't need to log into the game to keep up with what is going on, also, if you find a good guild/discord group, you can go with them across many various games, so there are a lot of advantages.

But, If you are like me, and don't like listening to people chatter while you try to play a game, this becomes a real problem. I still join the groups, so that I have that social network, but you need to know what will work for you.

Just my opinion but I felt that Discord greatly hurt socialization in MMOs.....It took the socialization out of the games and moved them to their site. I feel more like I am talking about the game in an outside forum than talking with others players while playing. Discord wasn't needed and we got along just fine without it before it existed.
    Brainy
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    This is a necro thread from Jan 2020 =)