Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizard/Pirate 101 for adults?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
From what I've seen of these games, which is very little, they seem not without their charm.  But can an adult expect to have a rewarding experience?  Is it true that you can't actually have dialogue with other players, just some kind of limited interaction with a few words like Hearthstone?  Thanks!

Putrefee

Comments

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Yes, No. 

The games are aimed at a young audience so chat is confined to pre-selected tidbits, thereby assuring a safe place for kids to play.  But you can get text chat fairly easily.  Just Google either game and "chat" or "text chat" and you'll find instructions.

As you note, both games have their charms.  Wizard is encounter based.  You have a deck of skills and you enter a circle to fight, playing your skill cards in turns.  Other people can join your team simply by taking a place in the circle.  You can solo some bosses, but for others you definitely need a group, which often means waiting until others show up.  One thing about Wiz, though, you get a nice house and lots of trophies to hang in it. 

Pirates is a step up from Wiz.  You own a ship, which you can upgrade through the cash shop or just wait til you earn stuff.  Your deck, instead of being skills are crew members who use their skills.  Each fight, instead of being in a circle, takes place on the landscape but in squares, a lot like King's Bounty fights.   You also have straight up ship battles, where you blast away with your cannons.  Other players can randomly join your fight, which increases the number of mobs and difficulty.  

I found both games enjoyable for what they are, not bringing any preconceptions to the table.

Hope this is helpful.   
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited November 2017
    Both games have the option to select text chat from account settings of their webpage. Then you can chat freely to other players who also have it enabled. (Young) players who have it disabled will be unable to see that chat, though.

It's mostly a limitation when you're LFG. Once you've found a group where everyone has text chat enabled you'll be able to chat normally within that group.

For adult the game experience is a bit childish: Expect graphic suited for children, story that's more aimed for children, etc.

But on the other hand the turn-based combat mechanisms are more complex than most MMOs out there, and if you're not too bothered by the childishness both games can be enjoyable to play. If you like turn-based games I'd suggest testing Wizard 101 and Pirate 101 for the combat mechanisms alone.

Wizard 101 starts to get good slower than Pirate 101. Pirate 101 allows for some complexity in combat quite quickly, whereas with Wizard 101 the good side of the combat becomes visible only once you've played far enough to be casting more buffs and debuffs than attack spells.
    titanwraith

• AaronAsburyAaronAsbury Member UncommonPosts: 2
    edited April 2018
    Don't Judge Ö¿Ö ... I was skeptical of this game at first when my then 14 year old daughter wanted me to create and quest with her... But being a good father & all, I was like..  OK, I'll try it.. This was in like 2013 I think. I'm 48 years old now & not ashamed to say that I absolutely enjoy this game along with my Wife who has been playing now for the last couple of years...  Just like any other game you start out on, you must rank yourself up on the Ladder in order to gain access to better equipment. All Schools have Great Qualities & lack thereof...  As for the Chat issue you mentioned, Nothing Major there. Depending on your age at Sign Up, you will either have Open Chat or text Chat or Easy Chat.... Most game Buddies I know that Quest together use VOIP or mIRC in order to talk to one another anyway. All I can say is, Give it a Shot & I bet you will be surprised just as I was.

jentouz1titanwraith
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Thanks, guys!  Which of the two would you says is more appropriate for an adult?  Or are they about the same?
  • XxkillzxX360XxkillzxX360 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Take it from someone who has a 10yr mute sentence, honestly I can see people in the game that chat in the same way as I had to be sentenced with no penalty. I believe there should be specific locked servers for people 18+ to enjoy, they always mention how "Oh our game is so safe, fun, and we have the best enviroment". < That's a joke. lol.
  • PutrefeePutrefee Member UncommonPosts: 46
    edited January 2020
    Thanks, guys!  Which of the two would you says is more appropriate for an adult?  Or are they about the same?
    Edit: I should have looked at the date. Oops.

My wife and I prefer Wizard101. We mostly decorate houses, breed new pets and farm (plants, not mobs). 

I can't explain why I enjoy it as much as I do because it is the antithesis to the hardcore PvP games I usually enjoy. 

You can get pretty deep designing and decorating houses... 

Some people put a lot of work and creativity into their homes.