Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Current thoughts on how and when SoTA will shut down

Comments

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    I log in often.  Too often my wife would say.  I enjoy the adventure of it.  It's a large world and I don't know much of it.  So its fun for me to go and find a new area and a new mob to see if it'll kill me or I it.
    Kyleran
  • urinal_gooseurinal_goose Member UncommonPosts: 89
    GrandpaDJ said:
    I bought the game and then uninstalled and never looked back when I saw a bunch of SoTA ads on far-right websites. I just checked and the ads are still around those sites. If that is the type of player they are trying to attract there isn't a place for me in that game... (I'm not talking Drudge - go much further right).

And what were you doing on "far-right" websites?
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    I hear incels have a lot of free time on their hand.
    newbismx

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited January 2020
    Kyleran said:
    Stop caring if a game shuts down and move on with your life. It doesn’t actually affect you. 

And that is not a whataboutism.
    Nope.  Just an off topic troll post.

Or did you have an opinion on how long it will survive?

Me, I think another few years so when it finally goes under RGs assets are fully protected from any investor or tax claims in case anyone were to try and pierce the corporate veil.
    You clearly don’t know what a troll post is. 

And no I don't. It's a waste of time to care and there's no reason or benefit to speculate. I played the game, didn't like it and logged off. 
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Hmm.... and I wanted to give it a try.
    flizzer said:
    What's stopping you?
    flizzer said:
    What's stopping you?

The deluge of negative press, reviews and comments, I'm guessing. Possibly also the fact that the game's supporters can't counter any of the criticisms with facts so they instead resort to ad hominem attacks.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • GrandpaDJGrandpaDJ Member UncommonPosts: 132
    GrandpaDJ said:
    I bought the game and then uninstalled and never looked back when I saw a bunch of SoTA ads on far-right websites. I just checked and the ads are still around those sites. If that is the type of player they are trying to attract there isn't a place for me in that game... (I'm not talking Drudge - go much further right).

And what were you doing on "far-right" websites?
    LOL. Fair question! I am politically active and work on various campaigns. I always want to know what people are saying, even if those views are different than my own, cuz I'm going to hear them said at some point and don't want to show my shocked face  :smiley:
    urinal_goose[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited January 2020
    Kyleran said:
    Stop caring if a game shuts down and move on with your life. It doesn’t actually affect you. 

Me, I think another few years so when it finally goes under RGs assets are fully protected from any investor or tax claims in case anyone were to try and pierce the corporate veil.

And no I don't. It's a waste of time to care and there's no reason or benefit to speculate. I played the game, didn't like it and logged off. 
    Lulz, let's see if you do. From Collins Dictionary:

"If you describe something that someone says or writes as off topic, you mean that it is not relevant to the current discussion; used especially of discussions on the internet. A troll is someone who posts inflammatory or off-topic messages in an online forum."

You clearly nailed it in your post, well done.

Darn, now you have me doing it too.

:D

[Deleted User]gervaise1

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    I always thought a troll was a someone trying to get a rise out of someone else. Not an off-topic comment. It appears this is a troll post.
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

"If you describe something that someone says or writes as off topic, you mean that it is not relevant to the current discussion; used especially of discussions on the internet. A troll is someone who posts inflammatory or off-topic messages in an online forum."

How was I off topic?
    hupa said:
    I always thought a troll was a someone trying to get a rise out of someone else. Not an off-topic comment. It appears this is a troll post.

Nope. I genuinely wanted to hear what other people thought. If asking for others' opinions is trolling, well, I guess most people are trolls.
    edited January 2020

flizzer said:
    What's stopping you?

The deluge of negative press, reviews and comments, I'm guessing. Possibly also the fact that the game's supporters can't counter any of the criticisms with facts so they instead resort to ad hominem attacks.
    It’s free to try. There’s nothing stopping someone from testing it out. 

Unless of course you always let others dictate what you do. 
    Hilltultimateduck

flizzer said:
    What's stopping you?

Considering others' opinions before making a decision isn't even remotely the same as allowing others to dictate your actions, but....k.
    Hillt
  • HilltHillt Member UncommonPosts: 72

flizzer said:
    What's stopping you?

Yeah give it try. No one will tell you not to try it. No one here is dictating anything to you except what their opinion of the game is. You'll find most reviews of the game prior to and following release to today are most if not all negative, but don't let that distract you from downloading and trying the game out for yourself. 
  • hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    edited January 2020
    hupa said:

Nope. I genuinely wanted to hear what other people thought. If asking for others' opinions is trolling, well, I guess most people are trolls.
    Oh no I wasn't talking about your thread. My message was aimed at Kyleran's ridiculous quote that an off-topic message is trolling.

Edit. And by "It appears this is a troll post." was aimed at my own message which was off-topic. :smile:

urinal_gooseKyleran
    Hillt said:

flizzer said:
    What's stopping you?

Yeah give it try. No one will tell you not to try it. No one here is dictating anything to you except what their opinion of the game is. You'll find most reviews of the game prior to and following release to today are most if not all negative, but don't let that distract you from downloading and trying the game out for yourself. 
    I tried it the day it became free to play. My point was that if you read a forum or any comment and someone says some dramatic line like “ when is it going to shut down” or “ game is dead” and you won’t even attempt to try it then you could be missing out on something you might actually enjoy. It’s ridiculous to put that much emphasis on a single invalidated statement. 

Now if you were reading reviews and getting an idea for what the game actually played like or what features it had, how polished it was, etc then formulating an opinion. Sure. Go for it. But doom and gloom posts should be ignored. 
    ultimateduck
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

How was I off topic?
    The OP asked what everyone's thoughts were on how and when SotA would shut down.

Did you answer the questions? No, instead you offered him advice on why he shouldn't care, which is clearly off topic.

Now we've got a few more joining us in this off topic conversation about what is a troll post, thread should completely derail soon so again I say, masterfully done.

The bridge welcomes you.

>:) 

urinal_goosenewbismx[Deleted User]tweedledumb99

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

How was I off topic?
    <snip>

The bridge welcomes you.

Bugrit! Millennium Hand and Shrimp.
    Kylerantweedledumb99
    But doom and gloom posts should be ignored. 

So why do you keep responding to what you deem a "doom and gloom post"?
    edited January 2020
    hupa said:
    hupa said:

Oh no I wasn't talking about your thread. My message was aimed at Kyleran's ridiculous quote that an off-topic message is trolling.

Edit. And by "It appears this is a troll post." was aimed at my own message which was off-topic. :smile:

Don't blame me, Collins Dictionary provided the definition and example, I just shared it.

Trolling well is an art form few really understand or appreciate.

It's a combination of the effective use of logic fallacies, hyperbole, arrogance and sometimes psychopathy to achieve whatever the troll's objective is.

Quite a bit written about the subject, here's a fun fact, there's over 130 types of trolls an online provocateurs identified by one source, iPredator.

https://www.ipredator.co/troll/

"Online Provocateur" that's going in my forum signature for sure. (Well, as soon as I get the spelling right)

Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

How was I off topic?
    The OP asked what everyone's thoughts were on how and when SotA would shut down.

Did you answer the questions? No, instead you offered him advice on why he shouldn't care, which is clearly off topic.

Now we've got a few more joining us in this off topic conversation about what is a troll post, thread should completely derail soon so again I say, masterfully done.

The bridge welcomes you.

Just because I did not answer the question does not mean I was off topic. I clearly made a statement about the topic. They one responsible for derailing is you. Per usual. 
    KyleranZenJellyurinal_goose
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    This whole thing is a troll post. Opening a discussion about when a game you don't play will stop being available to those who do play is the epitome of a troll post.

Asking the "troll" that you keep replying to "why do they keep replying to you" (another troll) is, yet again, being a troll.

I liked a lot about SotA. The reality was, I just didn't have the mental capacity to delve into a fairly sandboxy new MMO at the time that I played it, and now I'm in to other things that are taking up my time. It's a bummer it's not doing well.
    KyleranChildoftheShadowsScoturinal_goose
    This whole thing is a troll post. Opening a discussion about when a game you don't play will stop being available to those who do play is the epitome of a troll post.

Asking the "troll" that you keep replying to "why do they keep replying to you" (another troll) is, yet again, being a troll.

I liked a lot about SotA. The reality was, I just didn't have the mental capacity to delve into a fairly sandboxy new MMO at the time that I played it, and now I'm in to other things that are taking up my time. It's a bummer it's not doing well.
    Good reply, but let me demonstrate an advanced technique.  

The OP asked anyone who read it for their opinion on when SotA would shut down.

He did not limit it to or in fact even direct it to gamers who are currently playing SotA.

Had he done so just to get a rise from said audience I might agree with your assessment, but otherwise, no, not a troll.

I appreciated you sharing your experience with and reasons for not doing so, but have to thank you for joining the off topic "club"

Plenty of room for everyone here under the bridge, we'll leave the light on.

[Deleted User]

• Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Yea...I beilive no matter how much they try this company will never make any game that lives up to there Ultima Online days
    Kyleranbwwianakiev
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)