Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Current thoughts on how and when SoTA will shut down

urinal_gooseurinal_goose Member UncommonPosts: 89

I think the game will actually survive this year, but there will be a steady decline of whales who stop giving money once they wise up to the latest batch of empty promises. So I predict that the game will skid to a stop in early 2021, due to (what else?) a lack of whale money.

What're people's current thoughts on how and when this train wreck will finally end?

AlleineDragonfyre

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Do you play the game?  
    [Deleted User]bwwianakiev
  • urinal_gooseurinal_goose Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Mikeha said:
    Do you play the game?  

Do you always answer a question with another question?
    bwwianakiev
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Mikeha said:
    Do you play the game?  

So that's a no.  :D :D :D :D
    tweedledumb99moshra
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I would actually be surprised if it makes it all the way through 2020- I say by fall it will be pretty evident.

And no- I dont play it. Its garbage... I own it and actually paid money for it before it went 'free to play'
    urinal_goosetweedledumb99
    Utinni said:
    Mikeha said:
    Do you play the game?  

No, that's my way of addressing a common whataboutism that people employ when their reasoning skills are underdeveloped. I no longer play because the game is a buggy mess, and when I occasionally come back to fart around, I see the same glaring bugs that for some reason are not fixed.
    tweedledumb99
    Utinni said:
    Mikeha said:
    Do you play the game?  

No, that's my way of addressing a common whataboutism that people employ when their reasoning skills are underdeveloped. I no longer play because the game is a buggy mess, and when I occasionally come back to fart around, I see the same glaring bugs that for some reason are not fixed.
    His point was that you're stirring up shit and predicting closures about a game you don't even play. That's not what "whataboutism" is.
    moshraultimateduck
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Utinni said:
    Mikeha said:
    Do you play the game?  

Yep, that exactly what it is.   ;)

Utinni said:
    Utinni said:
    Mikeha said:
    Do you play the game?  

His point was that you're stirring up shit and predicting closures about a game you don't even play. That's not what "whataboutism" is.

A whataboutism is an attempt to derail the main discussion topic by bringing up other topics, tangentially related or unrelated, without addressing the main topic. His or her question was an attempt to do exactly that. To keep the thread on topic, this will be my last reply on the matter.
    Mikeha
    it will keep going as long as British has blood in his veins...for sale.

Do you think he'll attempt that again, though? It worked once, so maybe!
    Utinni said:
    Utinni said:
    Mikeha said:
    Do you play the game?  

A whataboutism is an attempt to derail the main discussion topic by bringing up other topics, tangentially related or unrelated, without addressing the main topic. His or her question was an attempt to do exactly that. To keep the thread on topic, this will be my last reply on the matter.
    Whether or not you play the game you're criticizing isn't tangential or unrelated. Hope your day gets better though man. There's plenty of other games you don't play that might close soon too. Can't wait to hear your thoughts of those.
    urinal_gooseultimateduck
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    I think they might survive for years. Updates are likely to stop, but the game is likely to still stay alive.
    tweedledumb99

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Utinni said:
    Mikeha said:
    Do you play the game?  

But technically hes right....you dont play, and its pretty clear you would like to see the game shut down for some reason.  Doom and gloom posts I call these.
    edited January 2020
    But technically hes right....you dont play, and its pretty clear you would like to see the game shut down for some reason.  Doom and gloom posts I call these.

And I call squirrels "tree rats" and seagulls "sky rats," but that doesn't mean that's what they are. They're just subjective labels.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    I can see it carrying on another two or three years based on similar MMOs in the past.
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    We all make poor investments some times, let it go and move on.  Who cares how long this game lasts if you're not actually playing the game and enjoying it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    moshra said:
    We all make poor investments some times, let it go and move on.  Who cares how long this game lasts if you're not actually playing the game and enjoying it.
    Folks "care" because it's just so damn much fun to dance over the grave when it all comes to an end.

>:) 
    [Deleted User]ultimateduck

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    moshra said:
    Folks "care" because it's just so damn much fun to dance over the grave when it all comes to an end.

What I'd like to see more than anything is the scammy liars (RG, CS, SL) who brought this monstrosity to life get what's coming to them--bankruptcy and litigation. I'd love to see every single player and backer get every dime of their money back.
    Iselin
  • HilltHillt Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Since it's quickly coming up on the second year since release and the devs lost their office, laid off 3/4 of their staff, staff that's left only work part time, RG's company Portalarium sold the game to its only full time dev, I think it could go on for a few more years.

The game turned out to be a naked dance party doll house sim and those types of games seem to linger on so I'm sure it can squeak out a few more years. 
    tweedledumb99
    edited January 2020
    Kyleran said:
    moshra said:

What I'd like to see more than anything is the scammy liars (RG, CS, SL) who brought this monstrosity to life get what's coming to them--bankruptcy and litigation. I'd love to see every single player and backer get every dime of their money back.
    I would expand on this and say that with the sheer amount of "kickstarter" and macro-transaction (unfinished) mmorpgs- This entire industry needs a kick in the ass and a wake up call.

I believe this was nothing more than a cash grab capitalizing on name recognition. I think most of these Kickstart mmos that sell themselves as being made 'from the heart' are more scammy than what we've seen coming from corporations- At least we all pretty much understand corporate motives and they  are giving us more complete games.

This 'new era' of Kickstart was the downfall of gaming (edit- I meant to say mmorpgs as kickstart has been generally good for gaming ) in the sense that when that all started we were still bitching about Horse Armor for $2.99 and how greedy that was and look where we are now- Buy an Idris.

So yes- This deserves to go and the people responsible ran out of town with pitchforks and torches. Time to clean house... Sadly, the people behind the curtains already made their money.
    urinal_goose
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Stop caring if a game shuts down and move on with your life. It doesn’t actually affect you. 

And that is not a whataboutism.
    urinal_gooseHillt
    Stop caring if a game shuts down and move on with your life. It doesn’t actually affect you. 

Nope.  Just an off topic troll post.

Or did you have an opinion on how long it will survive?

Me, I think another few years so when it finally goes under RGs assets are fully protected from any investor or tax claims in case anyone were to try and pierce the corporate veil.
    urinal_goose

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I have a better idea: you can stop caring about whether or not I stop caring. Sound good?
    Kylerantweedledumb99
  • GrandpaDJGrandpaDJ Member UncommonPosts: 132
    I bought the game and then uninstalled and never looked back when I saw a bunch of SoTA ads on far-right websites. I just checked and the ads are still around those sites. If that is the type of player they are trying to attract there isn't a place for me in that game... (I'm not talking Drudge - go much further right).
    Hillttomahawk1930urinal_goose
    edited January 2020
    GrandpaDJ said:
    I bought the game and then uninstalled and never looked back when I saw a bunch of SoTA ads on far-right websites. I just checked and the ads are still around those sites. If that is the type of player they are trying to attract there isn't a place for me in that game... (I'm not talking Drudge - go much further right).
    I can think of several good reasons why not to play SotA, but this isn't one of them.

;) 

newbismx[Deleted User]

Kyleran said:
    GrandpaDJ said:
    I can think of several good reasons why not to play SotA, but this isn't one of them.

;) 

Makes me want to give it a try again.