Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Abyss Wants You To Play And Get Rewarded (SPONSORED)

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Abyss Wants You To Play And Get Rewarded (SPONSORED)

The Abyss is a gaming platform focused on online video games and RPG projects. It is geared not just for the developers who choose to list their game on there, but for the players who use The Abyss to find the right games for them.

Read the full story here

Comments

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620
    I believe in coincidence. I see no reason why I, and my 200 guildmates, should not give them our full billing information including credit cards. On a side note though, why is it that anyone would want or need another gaming platform. Everyone has Steam, then we got hit with Epic, Origin, and Uplay. Even Kongregate has their own platform. Do we really need more places to host and play games from?
    SamhaelRoinnewbismx
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    aslan132 said:
    I believe in coincidence. I see no reason why I, and my 200 guildmates, should not give them our full billing information including credit cards. On a side note though, why is it that anyone would want or need another gaming platform. Everyone has Steam, then we got hit with Epic, Origin, and Uplay. Even Kongregate has their own platform. Do we really need more places to host and play games from?

Slightly off-topic of the main post, but the GOG Galaxy beta actually can link to all your other accounts and let you view/install/launch games from all your other launchers.
    foppotee
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    RPG Pyramid Scheme?
    Gorwe
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Yeah... I´d say the same...

Stay... As... FAR... AWAY.. from as you can. Sure if you have some odd burner card.. give them that. But beyond that. Keep the heck away.

This have been a good conversation

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    Finaly we are free from steam !!
    RoinrojoArcueid

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Should I bother coming to this site anymore? This is the second questionable post this week.
    foppotee

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Even if I trusted this company, I have no interest to make my hobby into work. I log into games to not think about money, bills, problems, crime, world politics or anything else stressful.
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited January 2020
    Emeraq said:
    RPG Pyramid Scheme?
    Not to play semantics but I would consider it a MLM scheme more than a pyramid scheme- 

Not that I believe 'multi-level-marketing' is any better than a pyramid- 

edit- My main worry is if this actually works tbh...I'm beginning to trust used car salesmen more than almost any company involved with gaming and I reckon its going to get worse
    Gorwe
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    edited January 2020

OG_Zorvan said:

skeaser said:

aslan132 said:

Slightly off-topic of the main post, but the GOG Galaxy beta actually can link to all your other accounts and let you view/install/launch games from all your other launchers.

How long you figure before Valve and the rest break that feature?

Meh, they cant really because GoG Galaxy doesnt link anything.
    All it does is use the logged in platform accounts to check what is installed and then simply run a script to start up the platform and the gameid the same way shortcuts do.
    Thats why it will never work without having a different platform installed and will several features like shared chats, gameinvites etc. etc. never work through GoG galaxy in combination with other platforms.

Unless other platforms ofcourse build around GoG Galaxy to allow that... but knowing Valve, Epic Games etc ... chances on that are close to 0 :D Also it looks like Abyss has already existed for about 2 years. Which is interesting seeing its incredibly small gameroster of which half are webbrowser games (which i might add they see as a good "feature" .. to have webbrowser games in their store... *shakes head*)
    [Deleted User]Gorwe
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Gorwe said:

Akulas said:

Should I bother coming to this site anymore? This is the second questionable post this week.

I come mostly out of habit, due to community and not having anything better to do. But, yeah, the fishy ads are starting to smell.

Oh and it seems most of the staff is gone or absent. What happened to Bill Murphy, Chris Coke, SB Ford, Mike Bitton etc? I remember back when mmorpg.com had some really high quality content ; not just MMO related. Shit like Vic Barreiro etc.

Nowadays it's just poor ole Pooma Shankar spamming articles at hyper speed lol.

This site is dying a slow death , i look at the traffic everyday (first ) number of people logged in also has been dropping consistently for a couple years now ..  Bill Suzie and others saw this and bailed imo ... WOuld not surprise me if its gone within 2 years
    [Deleted User]
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Gorwe said:

Akulas said:

I come mostly out of habit, due to community and not having anything better to do. But, yeah, the fishy ads are starting to smell.

Oh and it seems most of the staff is gone or absent. What happened to Bill Murphy, Chris Coke, SB Ford, Mike Bitton etc? I remember back when mmorpg.com had some really high quality content ; not just MMO related. Shit like Vic Barreiro etc.

Could be that things are kind of dull out there. I mean what's new in video games? What is there to report?
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Another soon to be defunct Raptr 2.0

You all remember Raptr, right?
    [Deleted User]rojoArcueid
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    As to query above,ummm seems not many pay attention around here.Rather than spell it out even though i believe there are still backdoor ties,it is called CONFLICT of interest.Operating a promotion business then trying to PRETEND or mislead viewers into thinking the threads are legit is in reality illegal.Now they could simply flag every thread as sponsored but of course most businesses like to bend the rules and deceive consumers.

Anyhow this idea here is similar to a Pyramid scheme.

I assume they get a kickback of 10-15%.YOU only get your 10% and ASSUMING there are no other red tape or small print to manipulate the claims,AFTER you get another person on board to the pyramid scheme.
    So i am sure most can do simple math,they get 20-30% and give you back 10%.Yes i know ALL of the arguments,no need to remind me even if i don't mention one.

Perhaps it is better than supporting a monopoly like Steam?If that is your reasoning for supporting this,i can't say it is a terrible reason,maybe even a good reason.

We should also realize that Epic is doing similar however to calculate how WE the gamer get anything out of it is VERY tough to figure.So in a simplistic manner,Epic offers cheaper marketing which should relate to better prices for us?Epic also has some free giveaways,i believe one game a week is free or something like that?Is that one free game better than the 10%?Well obviously depends on how much you spend,If you only buy 1 game every month but get a free game every week,one might say that one game is sort of free.

Bottom line is what we are seeing is what has been happening already in gaming,LOADS of marketing ideas to try and make a buck off of gaming.You know some will aim for f2p,kickstarters,b2p,subscriptions,founders packs etc etc,everyone has their own scummy take on marketing and usually it NEVER does a damn thing for the gamer.
    maskedweasel

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Scorchien said:
    Gorwe said:

Akulas said:

This site is dying a slow death , i look at the traffic everyday (first ) number of people logged in also has been dropping consistently for a couple years now ..  Bill Suzie and others saw this and bailed imo ... WOuld not surprise me if its gone within 2 years
    LOL, Bill and Suzie moved on from MMO. Suzie is doing work on Gamespace which I don't think is technically linked to MMORPG.com now. Bill has his own PR company as per the disclosure that was posted on the Astellia review.

https://www.mmorpg.com/astellia/reviews/astellia-review-1000000534

Full Disclosure: Astellia is represented by Team Critical Hit, a Games PR company co-founded by former MMORPG Managing Editor, Bill Murphy.

Chris and Mike still post articles often. 

Sponsored articles are articles that advertisers pay for. It's like Youtubers that push a product or service simply because they were paid to do so. Most of the time those youtubers don't even use the products, it's just a way to get their name out. It's essentially buying a review, but at least here they are clear with what is sponsored and what isn't.  

When you're a website looking for ad revenue, you can't turn down sponsored content to make money... if you look at the main website, they have like.. 3 sponsored posts this week. I don't think I've ever seen so many sponsored posts in such a short amount of time, which points more closely to them doing a little bit better in revenue than they might have done before.

Seeing as how it's only been a few months for the new editors to get into the swing of things, I really don't see much of a difference between now and a few months ago, with maybe the only major change is that we're seeing MORE sponsored posts.

Sponsored or not, when you're here looking at articles, you make the choice to click on the story... so if you don't want to read the sponsored posts.. why are you clicking on them? 

• MazenealMazeneal Member UncommonPosts: 143

DMKano said:

Gee a game platform from a company that is headquartered in Malta.

"At present, specific definitions of cybersecurity and cybercrime do not exist in Malta’s statutes or case law."

Just happens that Malta has nonexistent cybersecurity laws - perfect for you guessed it - shady companies.

I am sure this is just pure coincidence... right?

Well, considering that blockchain is just about the most secure payment rail there is, maybe the reason for it's locale is the opposite of what you are alluding to!? Just a thought....../shrug
  • MazenealMazeneal Member UncommonPosts: 143
    I guess my only critique would be that this doesn't cover one of the most interesting aspects of this platform, and that is that it uses blockchain as part of it's backbone....that's a big deal, you know the payment rail tech that was created for bitcoin?! There's a lot of potential here that could really change things for the industry.....in a way that doesn't just consider us, the players, as sheep for the fleecing.....