Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The subscription model is dead. Or is it?

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

AlBQuirkyAmatheOctagon7711[Deleted User]PhaserlightAgent_JosephHatefullGdemami

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Eh.. it's kinda limping along with a few gunshot wounds in it, and some knives in it's back, bleeding out all over the place.. but it's still limping along by the power of the faith of people that still believe in it.

ultimateduckIselin[Deleted User]PalebanealkarionlogTuor7seraphis79IsilithTehrothPhaserlightViper482
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    It's my preferred MMO payment model. You give them money, they give you everything the game has to offer... the end.
    Rich84NorseGoddelete5230RateroIselinLeFantomeBlaze_Rockerskeaser[Deleted User]deniterand 19 others.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2020
    Runescape is not even a good game so idc what it is doing.

Sub games are typically a MUCH better product than say all these games looking for up front crowd funding or the moba's,arpg's,so they typically NEED a stable income.A cash shop game is going to be a volatile market but if your game/investment was sooo low there is literally no risk however the big mmo's cannot afford the luxury of an on/off market because they are much further invested.

FFXI my fave mmo of al ltime was invested and expected to not turn a profit for 5 years.

However the smart people behind the business end of gaming have managed to exploit all the dumb asses with hidden sub fees like "season passes".Can you imagine if ANY of these modern games tried the 5 year in debt idea before turning a profit,just no way.Everyone now a days wants instant up front profits.

Point is that a sub fee is very much warranted and i expect it ,IF the game is of high quality.So far i have not seen a high quality game since FFXIV and even that game is lacking in several areas.To put it in perspective,i wouldn't play Runescape even if the game had 2020 graphics,it is not that good and none of the games coming out are that good.

Will we see another mmorpg subscription game?Well how many big devs willing to make a AAA game 2...3 maybe 4?So yeah it will be very unlikely we see more than 4 sub mmorpg's in the next 10 years.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Sub model works fine as long as the game is good enough to warrant a sub.

FFXIV and WoW are prime examples.

If the game is lacking content, unfinished, or poorly designed of course a sub model fails. But it is not the model it is the game just being bad.

When you think about it, the vast majority of F2P and B2P mmos fail horribly and struggle to keep even a small playerbase, even with the game being "Free". 

I would put money on any real solidly made AAA mmo succeeding in a p2p model. When you look at the games that were forced to go f2p from P2P they all had massive issues or were directly trying to compete with WoW during its prime (aka a subpar WoW clone, when WoW was the mmo god). Honestly if FFXIV released during WotLK... it potentially would of failed as well or at least been a small fraction of the playerbase.
    AlBQuirkyOctagon7711
  • flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Do you think there is a correlation with the sub model dying and the decline of MMORPGs?   I dont think its the only reason but part of the problem.  But again there are many issues.  Personally i love cool cosmetics items, mounts, etc.  It makes it fun if i can actually acquire them by playing the game instead of buying them off a store which i never buy stuff off a cash shop.  Wish we would go back to the sub model.  
    AlBQuirkyGdemami
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    flguy147 said:
    Do you think there is a correlation with the sub model dying and the decline of MMORPGs?   I dont think its the only reason but part of the problem.  But again there are many issues.  Personally i love cool cosmetics items, mounts, etc.  It makes it fun if i can actually acquire them by playing the game instead of buying them off a store which i never buy stuff off a cash shop.  Wish we would go back to the sub model.  
    What data do you have saying MMORPG are in decline? 
    Kyleran
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Arterius said:
    I don't think its dead I just thing the game has to have a buy to play or F2P offer attached. I mean look at ESO. B2P and Almost half of the people who play the game sub. That is pretty damn good. I just think people are turned off by the idea of a sub right off the bat. Where Runescape and ESO you can try the game and decide to sub later for the benefits 
    Agreed. Even WOW lets you play the game free for 20 levels or so I think and FF14 has trials often. If you are going to do a sub at least offer a trial of some sort. 

If a game doesn't have some kind of free trial, then it is a non-starter for me.  It doesn't matter how many great reviews it gets, or how much praise it gets from news, or even if a friend is playing it and want me to join them.  It could be a F2P model, a restricted demo (like WoW's 20 level deal) or a simple demo.  No hands on preview, no purchase.  My days of spending on the hopes a game is good are behind me.  Just a simple personal financial truth I've had to adjust to.

Tuor7

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    edited January 2020
    So do you think runescape is popular because it is subscription based, or is it subscription based because the game remain popular?

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Arterius said:
    I don't think its dead I just thing the game has to have a buy to play or F2P offer attached. I mean look at ESO. B2P and Almost half of the people who play the game sub. That is pretty damn good. I just think people are turned off by the idea of a sub right off the bat. Where Runescape and ESO you can try the game and decide to sub later for the benefits 
    "Almost half of the people play the game sub."

Other than an occasional number I haven't seen Zenimax give out much info at all. Have you a source? 
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited January 2020
    If i remember right , Runescape sub price is $7 right ? or $10
    If ESO is the future of subscriptions though I think there is source for worry.

Arguably a p2w subscription as well since a sub is not required to play so if you are subscribing you are paying "extra money" for "extra stuff". (Which worries me not in the slightest I will add but paying more for advantages is the basic definition of p2w.)

If we are to have cash shops - did I say if? - then we should make a distinction, I suggest, and praise cash shops which only sell cosmetics over those that offer "extras". Fortnite shows that it can work. The problem for "less successful" games without zillions of players that feel the need to increase revenue is to add those tempting extras to their store.
    It's my preferred MMO payment model. You give them money, they give you everything the game has to offer... the end.
    My preferred model is b2p. You give them money they give you stuff. No money no stuff, no stuff no money.

The problem with the sub is twofold:
    - If there is no guarantee of any new content you just have to pay and pay and pay. And you get people rushing through content as fast as possible etc. Potentially "Money no stuff"
    - If there is a guarantee of new content you get subscription free loaders; pay a sub for a month, blast through any new content as fast as possible, unsub and maybe come back in a year. Potentially "No Money, Stuff". 

There are ways to link subs to stuff but doesn't seem high on the agenda.

• SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I prefer subscription.  I don't like being nickel and dimed for my game.  
    AlBQuirkyTuor7Martiander
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Take both WOWs, FFARR, Runescape and every "optional" sub game out of the equation and yes siree bob, it done died.

But I bet you anything there are more players subbed to one MMO or another today than there have ever been at any time.

KyleranAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Subscription model isn't dead.  The problem with a subscription model is that it takes longer to make money. Where as games with cash shops, microtransactions, and DLC are psychologically easier to manipulate people to spend more money.

Subscription you'll pay $15, and some players might spend a little more on a cash shop item from time to time. The other models all rely on whales and psychology to get you to spend as much as possible as quickly as possible.  While things will cost less than $15, in these games you are pressured to spend more than that, a lot more.
    AlBQuirky
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I dont care about the financial model. If it is good enough to get me addicted then it is good enough for my money.
    AlBQuirkyPhaserlight
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    Robokapp said:
    Wizardry said:
    Runescape is not even a good game so idc what it is doing.

citation needed.
    It's his personal opnion, they said it, that's all the citation they need. If you feel that it was the best game ever, then that is what you think.

Good and Bad are subjective.
    Kylerangervaise1
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Gravarg said:
    Subscription model isn't dead.  The problem with a subscription model is that it takes longer to make money. Where as games with cash shops, microtransactions, and DLC are psychologically easier to manipulate people to spend more money.

Subscription you'll pay $15, and some players might spend a little more on a cash shop item from time to time. The other models all rely on whales and psychology to get you to spend as much as possible as quickly as possible.  While things will cost less than $15, in these games you are pressured to spend more than that, a lot more.
    This is no longer true.

There used to be more money to be made on F2P games with Cash Shops, because well, people had come off Sub based games, and were willing and ready to spend money on their hobby. But the population has changed and the numbers do not look anywhere near as good as they used to.

However, one thing that has remained constant about F2P games since their inception, is they have a much higher return rate then Sub based games, so, being F2P makes it far easier for players to go back to their old games, where the sub model functioned as a paywall against returning.

Personally, my prefered model is the B2P with Item Shop, as that keeps out the people who are just looking for a free ride, but it also keeps the door open to return with ease.
    [Deleted User]KyleranPalebaneCryomatrixAlBQuirkygervaise1

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited January 2020
    It’s dead to me, thats for sure. I no longer have the desire to put that much effort or money into one game. Plus, I feel the F2P model gives devs more incentive to put out good content in order to deserve my continued support. I can see what I’m getting before I pay, as it should be, imo.
    AlBQuirkyUngood

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    flguy147 said:
    Great point. I would have to agree that flair and status have become a major focus over community and player agency in modern multiplayer games. Whether the chicken or the egg came first is open to endless debate, imo.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

flguy147 said:
    This has always been something that baffled me.

I hear players talk about how they would spend upwards to, I think the highest I have heard to date was like 30 a month fee to play a game, where they get nothing but access to the game, which they will lose the second they cease to pay their subscription fee.

But If access to the game is given to them for free, even if they are playing and enjoying the game, they won't spend that self same $30 a month for some extra perks to keep the game going.

Never Understood this to be honest, and I don't think I ever will, and I am not sure if I even want to try. 
    Palebane

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    ill pay a subscription anytime if a MMO is good.
    Dlusion333AlBQuirkyTuor7Agent_Joseph
  • Dlusion333Dlusion333 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I'd 100% rather subscribe than these Free to Play games with micro transactions for non-cosmetic items. Why put effort in when a kid with their moms credit card can pass you before even starting the game... Subscription like FFXIV is perfect, I love them, sadly not too into the game itself but I love their model.
    AlBQuirkyUngoodAzaron_NightbladeTuor7