Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World vs The Lord of the Rings - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageNew World vs The Lord of the Rings - MMORPG.com

Red Thomas explores what we know about Amazon’s excursion into the MMO genre and what New World might signify for future games from the company. Red also explores the timeline of what we know surrounding the new Lord of the Rings project and who that may or may not matter to New World.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited January 2020
    Well I got totally the wrong end of the stick there, thanks for pointing that out Xodic. So this is comparing two games that have yet to come out, that's a tricky task indeed. But what I said about the second age setting stands. I have no idea how NW will effect the new LotR game to early to tell.

Also I have some doubts about both the TV series and the MMO. There are a number of issues that I think will be side stepped, like how few men there are mostly just on an island called Numenor, though they could feature some early mannish tribes I suppose. But such issues make me doubt they will be that faithful to the Tolkien Setting.
    Post edited by Scot on
    Red_Thomas
  • black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154
    A whole article on hearsay and speculation on mmorpg.com... lol
    Samhael
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    edited January 2020
    Part of that is the confidence to break with current fads and going back to a more traditional development process where Alpha/Beta phases were for testing and less for marketing.

This quote completely misses the mark. The only reason Amazon has gone back to a "more traditional development process" is because they can afford to. Most game companies today don't have tens of millions of dollars lying around to build a game. They have to generate interest in their game, and attract investors, in order to fund the development.
    alkarionlog
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Arkade99 said:

Part of that is the confidence to break with current fads and going back to a more traditional development process where Alpha/Beta phases were for testing and less for marketing.

This quote completely misses the mark. The only reason Amazon has gone back to a "more traditional development process" is because they can afford to. Most game companies today don't have tens of millions of dollars lying around to build a game. They have to generate interest in their game, and attract investors, in order to fund the development.

That and they own Twitch, so they don't need to do things for "marketing." However, the problem with anything being developed by Amazon is that it will be desired around Twitch. That was one of the first things the Amazon studio said when they announced they were working on games, games with twitch integration.
  • Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    Basically, during the Second Age, the highly advanced Numenoreans crossed the ocean in big ships. They explored, colonized, and later exploited the people and resources of Middle-earth. Sounds pretty similar to New World to me.
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317

black9ice said:

And the personal, unnecessary grammar attack on Smed. A journalistic assist to the you Mr. Thomas. Use [sic] next time.
    TillerRed_Thomasbamwalla
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    black9ice said:

Every other comment made is hearsay and speculation. The new game looks cool and it seems a lot of people really enjoy LotRO. There's nothing wrong with options.
    Iselin
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Arkade99 said:

Regardless of the reason, there's doing it right and doing it wrong. I for one am sick to death of marketing alphas and betas and all the other names like pre-alpha and early access they invent.

Amazon is in unique position of having big bucks but also being brand new to video game production. They NEED quality releases to establish themselves not like the almost as wealthy but totally jaded EAs and Activisions of the world.

This is a good thing happening here.
    [Deleted User]ultimateduckOctagon7711SovrathretiredmjMaddog666
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    black9ice said:
    Pretty sure you just described pretty much any article ever that quoted someone other than the author themselves.
    Arkade99 said:

I'm not sure that's true.  It's certainly true of most companies, because there are more indie studios than there's ever been.  There are still plenty of larger studios using traditional capital generation models that have still elected to develop their games more openly.   I've heard from a few studios that it hasn't gone well and we'll probably see a slide back to the other method of staying dark until just before release, though.

Crowdfunding and all that hoopla has never been about money for a whole lot of studios.  It's just been a marketing method that paid for itself.  Sometimes a tool to generate market data before they start shopping VCs.

I suspect that we'll see a lot (though definitely not all) larger studios put more and more lead time on their games ahead of announcement over the next few years.
    Chaserz said:

black9ice said:

And the personal, unnecessary grammar attack on Smed. A journalistic assist to the you Mr. Thomas. Use [sic] next time.
    ...yes.    Because it was an attack...   Trust me, John Smedley is incredibly unlikely to take that as an "attack."
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    I'm excited for New World but ugh.. having a complete douche like Smed involved with the company in any way makes my skin crawl.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    All just depends on how well the engine runs on mobile, where the LOTR game will be.
    I'm excited for New World but ugh.. having a complete douche like Smed involved with the company in any way makes my skin crawl.
    Always odd how Mcquaid gets reverence and Smedley gets the hate. I personally enjoyed Everquest.
    mcd6993
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    I find myself feeling pretty indifferent towards Amazon and their attempts at gaming.

On the one hand, I am very pleased that a company with so much money is attempting to enter the MMO market, that's a very good thing in general. I like their approach to testing and their willingness to take a step back and redo some sections of the game. I also like the fact that New World isn't an RPG, so this may well be the very first MMO survival game ever.

On the other hand, I dislike survival games and didn't get on with the alpha, so I find myself with no interest in playing. I also can't help but feel like New World is going to be a relative failure - there are too many design decisions already locked in that are guaranteed to reduce it's lifespan. In particular, they designed the game around vertical progression and PvP....a guaranteed disaster. Power gaps always ruin PvP. Then there is the land-grab situation plus the heavy focus on grouping to get the most out of the game....again, another design that is guaranteed to drive away large numbers of players.

Finally, I'm also curious to see whether, at release, it will actually be an MMO or not. It was during alpha from what I could see, but they were still talking about 250v250 battles during alpha. More recently, they've been talking about "100 player battles" and, iirc, they've been talking about putting those battles into instances. I had doubts that the game would actually be an MMO when it was first announced, in fact I predicted it would just be an normal multiplayer online survival game. I was pleased to be wrong when I tried alpha, but now my fears have returned.
    RexKushmanMaddog666OzmodanVynt
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Utinni said:
    Always odd how Mcquaid gets reverence and Smedley gets the hate. I personally enjoyed Everquest.
    Not sure what Brad has to do with anything in this thread but I am/was certainly no fan of his either, he was a liar, thief and druggie and surprise surprise it killed him.. 
    Ozmodan

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Utinni said:

I think Brad got the credit for making the fun game, while Smedley got the blame for trying to milk people dry off it.
  • trikerytrikery Member UncommonPosts: 15

I find myself feeling pretty indifferent towards Amazon and their attempts at gaming.

On the one hand, I am very pleased that a company with so much money is attempting to enter the MMO market, that's a very good thing in general. I like their approach to testing and their willingness to take a step back and redo some sections of the game. I also like the fact that New World isn't an RPG, so this may well be the very first MMO survival game ever.

On the other hand, I dislike survival games and didn't get on with the alpha, so I find myself with no interest in playing. I also can't help but feel like New World is going to be a relative failure - there are too many design decisions already locked in that are guaranteed to reduce it's lifespan. In particular, they designed the game around vertical progression and PvP....a guaranteed disaster. Power gaps always ruin PvP. Then there is the land-grab situation plus the heavy focus on grouping to get the most out of the game....again, another design that is guaranteed to drive away large numbers of players.

Finally, I'm also curious to see whether, at release, it will actually be an MMO or not. It was during alpha from what I could see, but they were still talking about 250v250 battles during alpha. More recently, they've been talking about "100 player battles" and, iirc, they've been talking about putting those battles into instances. I had doubts that the game would actually be an MMO when it was first announced, in fact I predicted it would just be an normal multiplayer online survival game. I was pleased to be wrong when I tried alpha, but now my fears have returned.

Wait for the PvP blog, I'm thinking instance talk is a misunderstanding of the system by the German MMO site.
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Instanced PvP is a deal breaker for me. PvP doesn't have to be an open world free for all with full loot, but it does have to be a perpetual world with meaning. Nothing turns me away from a game faster than instanced PvP battlegrounds that lasts 15 minutes or until someone captures all of the flags or holds a point, then ends and restarts.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2020
    Who says the Lumberyard engine is good?

This game will not be doing anything that looks better or works better than Atlas.Atlas has the exact same level of detail/graphics only Atlas does more,has more layers to the game design.Let me see 50 creatures in close vicinity,more objects,more animations,let me see what makes this Lumberyard engine so good.
    I realize the little we have seen is not even Beta but still there is also nothing to see there either.How long will it take for New World to deliver on some eye candy or some layers of design that give us a lot to do?

As for instancing pvp,how else would you do it?I realize hardly anyone i ever hear say something,understands how badly pvp ruins the potential of PVE,people just do not get it.I am not saying this team is going to do a better job with both by separating them,i am just saying that separating IS the better option.The idea might not appeal to some but it is a better design for the game that is not catering to any one individual.

My hunch,New World doesn't get pve or pvp done right.or even well.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    black9ice said:
    You honestly believe this is the intent of this article,just to create some hearsay chit chat...lmao.

IDK maybe you haven't seen how this site operates for a long enough period yet.It's ok you'll "get it"after a while.
    There is no reason we should be hearing about New World until there is actually something to offer but hey they want to stir up some interest for the pre orders.I am sure there are loads of people who feel the impulse to pre order a game for no sensible reason at all.

Another thing,all you need to know is SMEDLEY ,then you know this game is going to be an over promoted DUD.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Most interesting mmorpg since EqNext. Well, at least it could be.. Or it could be boring story driven and static like the rest, we shall see.
    Cloud based, AI driven game worlds is still the true next gen in mmos, and it WILL happen just a question of who does if first and best.
    Red_Thomas

Utinni said:

I think Brad got the credit for making the fun game, while Smedley got the blame for trying to milk people dry off it.

Such as?
  • SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192
    edited January 2020
    I was watching a bunch of gameplay recently, and it looks very pretty. But it also looks like every other survival game out there.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    Wizardry said:

As for instancing pvp,how else would you do it?I realize hardly anyone i ever hear say something,understands how badly pvp ruins the potential of PVE,people just do not get it.I am not saying this team is going to do a better job with both by separating them,i am just saying that separating IS the better option.The idea might not appeal to some but it is a better design for the game that is not catering to any one individual.

My hunch,New World doesn't get pve or pvp done right.or even well.

So, the way it was supposed to work before was as follows:

Enter game, grind enemies to level up, join a company (guild).

Companies could claim land and then build on that land. So, once you've joined a company, you can all build your own village / fort  in the actual game world. Other players can come to visit, trade, hand out or whatever you wanted.

Companies could declare war with other companies. This meant that players from each guild could then attack one another in the open world. Additionally, when declaring war, you had to select a time-slot during which your village was attackable. I think it was a 3hour time period within the next 72 hours or something like that.

When that 3hour slot arrived, a large scale PvP fight was supposed to happen between the two guilds. This was in the open world with real consequences if you lost - the enemy might destory most of your village, setting you back weeks or months of gathering resources. Being in the open world, there were no player limits.

It sounded like an interesting system. If you weren't part of either company at war, you could avoid the PvP and it wouldn't affect you. If you joined a PvE company, you could ignore declarations of war - nobody could force your village to open itself to attack. But, if you were PvP inclined, you could accept the declaration of war and then look forwards to some PvP fun.

The new system.....well, I dont know much about it. I suspect that the engine couldn't actually handle large scale PvP, which is why they're talking about instancing the PvP. I think this will just be instancing the village / company PvP, the normal PvP will still happen in the main game world.

I've now typed out "PvP" too many times and it's lost all meaning....

Ozmodan