Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Did You Get Here?

Comments

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    I joined in October 2004 and I'm pretty sure it was because the site used to constantly have great giveaways of hardware, peripherals, and games. 

It was 3 years later when I first posted in the forums, in a thread about the cancellation of Gods & Heroes. 
    AlBQuirky
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited January 2020
    I was trying to get an early beta invite to City of Heroes, and they were running a contest for that game... It was over a year before I did my second post though.  I ended up getting into the last phase of alpha for that game, and then got a beta invite from this contest.  That was back in the days when being an alpha tester was no guarantee of getting into the game beta.
    Blaze_RockerAlBQuirky

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    I joined in 2004 when I was playing SWG. Think I was looking for advice on templates and someone in my guild pointed me at this website. However, despite joining in 2004, I didn't really start posting here until 2012/13 I think.
    Same actually. I joined in 04, been here since then. I do not post much.
    AlBQuirky

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Says Dec 2006 but it was earlier than that by afew years. Must of had a previously forgotten account.
    AlBQuirky

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    F2P mmos brought me here in 2009. I played all of them at the time and frequently used mmohuts.com when Omer was the owner. I never talked on any forums, i just liked to visit websites that listed all available mmorpgs in the market to see what else i wanted to play/try.

That's how i came across mmorpg.com. And after Omer sold mmohuts i just stayed here instead. I still visit other sites from time to time but not as often.
    maskedweaselAlBQuirky

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Online friends mentioned this site gave away access to rift open beta.
    maskedweaselAlBQuirky
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    DMKano said:
    VN forums got acquired by IGN - I hated IGN so the rest is history.
    Me too same reason well not that I hated but they changed the boards and shutdown a lot. I was on those boards from 1999 when I was playing Everquest. I even had some old title since I was an ancient from those boards.

I found my way here having no place to rant :p
    KyleranAlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • CitizenX007CitizenX007 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I came here about a year ago to see if I could find out why MMOs, and video games in general, sucked so badly.
    NorseGodAlBQuirky
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Many years ago I played UO when it launched (and beta). I was always starving for more games that had a massive quantity of players. There were several sites that covered MMO's at the time but they were just kind of a mention, not the actual primary topic. Fast forward several years and I found MMORPG.com. Back then we all knew what MMO stood for. No one argued that Massively Multiplayer Online was actually supposed to be "Massive Multiplayer". We all knew it was the quantity of players in a single shared world, not just a multiplayer game in a massive world. The MMORPG forum was almost always on topic and General was interesting back then too. You didn't have complete and utter idiots arguing that 3 player games were MMO's back then.

I honestly miss the community from back then. They were great. I knew things started to head south when we had people like Narius arguing that F2P was the way to go (now we all hate it). I knew it was almost dead when people started arguing that Destiny and other standard multiplayer games were MMO and that they thought the first word was "massive". Then a couple years ago Bill said there was an argument to call League of Legends an MMO. Since then I don't visit as much. The site is mostly irrelevant now and the forums are useless. Just today a guy explained that MMO stood for Massive Multiplayer and that if a multiplayer game with only 3 players took place in a massive world it was an MMO. So yeah..... thats where we are now. Been quite a journey watching more and more idiots get involved since 2003. I can't even be nice anymore. Like, its in the god damned words.
    maskedweasel
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Ppiper said:
    I started in 2004 albeit with a different account. I searched for MMO's and came up with this  place. Man, back then, this site was like the Wild West or the Howard Stern Forums and filled with all kinds of miscreants including myself.
    This site definitely used to be more fun.  I think I found this place the same way.   I was looking for new games and just did a search for mmorpg.

We used to get some really heated arguments going about game design on this site and about the direction that some game in development was going.  Now...there isn't much to talk about and not many people seem to have much passion about what little there is to talk about.

I honestly didn't expect MMORPGs to crap out the way they have.  I really thought MMORPGs would be in a different (and better) place by now.
    AlBQuirky
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Came here when SWG-NGE released because I was lost. Never visited forums prior to that, lurked awhile. This site has changed a lot since then and not in a good way. It's sad to see. They could have done so much. I pop in out of habit, but usually stick to reddit where I don't get in trouble for my opinions.
    AlBQuirky
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Everquest wizard teleport.
    NorseGodIselinAlBQuirky

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    During the downturn of SWG, was looking for a place for discussions that wasn't the official forums where everyone who had an opinion was banned.
    NorseGodPhaserlightAlBQuirky
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I was looking for a fun and intelligent bunch of gamers that loved to talk about their passion for MMORPGs and their worlds and mechanics. Nice, smart people with whom I could have a proper conversation.

I never found them so settled with you lot.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    NorseGodSovrathPhaserlightAlBQuirkyAzaron_NightbladeGladDog
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Palebane said:
    Everquest wizard teleport.
    I was going to say the 7 layers of osi, but yours was nerdier. lol Nice!
    KyleranAlBQuirkyPalebane
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    2005 I was still playing runescape, but really started diving into mmorpgs or at least looking at others.
    AlBQuirky

MurderHerd

• EthicZHEthicZH Newbie CommonPosts: 11
    I was looking for an active Forum about games.
    Looks like this is one of the fews that are still alive.
    maskedweaselAlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I came here about a year ago to see if I could find out why MMOs, and video games in general, sucked so badly.
    Any insights found?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    I was on my way to the kitchen for a snack and I got lost.
    UngoodScotSovrathPalebanemaskedweaselAlBQuirky
  • MartianderMartiander Member UncommonPosts: 9
    edited January 2020
    I came here a couple Month before Everquest ( the original ) startet around 1999 ( Was playing from europe ). Im reading here since and occassionally let a post go ..... Well uhm that sounded kinda weired ...

I remember that time because it brought so many new things for me. E.G. due to the payment options for playing Everquest it was the first time ever that i got a CC. Back then it was a rare sight here in germany. Even shared the CC Number with a friend for the inital buy and the first month, because ordering an CC was a pain in the ass back then. It took literary month to proceed it.

Got totally excited to do a mail order to the US .. also a first. Th idea to order something from an overseas place was strange for a normal person back then. Some people called me crazy for doing something like this.

We ( the ones who ordered ) even throw a party the day the Package arrived.

In the meantime we took in every info we could get about EQ and one of the top places was MMORPG.com back then.

maskedweaselAlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    Uwakionna said:
    I was on my way to the kitchen for a snack and I got lost.
    Welcome to the forums! :D
    AlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    EthicZH said:
    I was looking for an active Forum about games.
    Looks like this is one of the fews that are still alive.
    Welcome to the forums! :D
    AlBQuirky
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Xodic said:
    I originally found this site by looking for a list of MMOs. It came in handy back in the day.
    Same way I found my way here. I rarely even looked at the forums during those early days, so I didn't register for a long time. Then one day while bored at work, I started posting. Over time visiting the site became part of my daily routine.
    UngoodAlBQuirky

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    For me iirc, WoW's Beta was announced at the time I came across this site and was accepted into the Beta Phase of WoW. I'm 97.5% sure the Beta Sign-up was on MMORPG.com.
    Great times. :)
    UngoodAlBQuirky

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• PutrefeePutrefee Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I do not remember. Somewhere between Centropolis, VN and Allakhazam.
    AlBQuirky