Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 MMOs That Were Gone Too Soon (And 3 That Should Have Been Gone Sooner) - MMORPG.com

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Despite the issues with the latter expansions in SWG, the "Jump to Lightspeed" was it's best part.  Spent many hours dog fighting and was never bored, even after NGE.  That is what killed SWTOR for me their absurd design of space combat.  

I think most of us agree that the article was on the money.  The Matrix online being the absolute worst MMO I have ever played and I did not like any of those that he mentioned as not gone soon enough.
  • illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Ad spamming both sides of the Page:   BLACK DESERT
    missing from Should have gone soonerBLACK DESERT

*(and this is coming from someone who stupidly played it for 3 years straight)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    iller said:
    Ad spamming both sides of the Page:   BLACK DESERT
    missing from Should have gone soonerBLACK DESERT

*(and this is coming from someone who stupidly played it for 3 years straight)
    Not really on topic but I'm curious what caused you to reach a point of totally disdaining a game you must have somewhat enjoyed, at least for a time.
    wingood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Actually Vanguard was tuned to need groups.  It was a ton more soloable/duoable in the early betas except for a small number of very hard areas they added in mid beta.  It didn't start to really be group only for meaningful play until around when microsoft came into it. 
  • TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    EQ is the poster child of "should have gone sooner". It has been declining since 2002ish.
    Ozmodanseraphis79
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    I don't think that Vanguard was gone too soon, as it was around for several more years after it had a deserted game world that left any group content basically unplayable.
    Ozmodan
  • AquilaSimAquilaSim Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Another game gone too soon imo, The Sims Online.
    maskedweaselOzmodanwingood
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    AquilaSim said:
    I never played that one. I didn't realize that was a thing.

Welcome to the forums though! 

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited January 2020
    Let's not forget Chronicles Of The Spellborn
    TheocritusAndraxxwingood

• AquilaSimAquilaSim Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    AquilaSim said:
    I never played that one. I didn't realize that was a thing.

Welcome to the forums though! 
    Ty!
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Marvel Heroes Online seems tame now compared to some of the games now with regards to their packs. I think it went too soon so disagree with that one. I liked Warhammer and Vanguard Saga of Heroes so an agree there.

• spriggannysprigganny Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Finally a good article!
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I liked Vanguard but no matter how good my PC was it ran like garbage.
    Ozmodan
  • taltos007taltos007 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I really enjoyed Tabula Rasa. Me and friend bought it the day it came out and played the hell out of it. Lol
    Ozmodan
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    City of Heroes bad combat was part of it's charm he says. Just Wow people trash other games for having bad combat but give COH a pass.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    100% across the entire list.....might be a first time ever here for me lol.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I agree with everything but I would have to move VG to its own category of "released too soon".
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• stamincosminstamincosmin Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I miss Voyage Century :(
  • GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    I miss Vanguard Saga of Heroes.
    Sovrath

• killcritkillcrit Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Warhammer Online was pretty awful from a balanced standpoint. And not much content, i think we were all max character in just a couple weeks.. The level questing I recall was extremely rough for certain classes, I recall trailing behind everyone as a Shaman Healer, unable to solo properly. However, as PvP, there is no doubt the Shaman was the God of the Battlefield when set to a 50/50 heal damage spec. He was the class that changed those endless healing contests with properly assessed DOT damage attacks on key targets that turned the battle. Pure healing shamans scored kudos for endless healing points in battle, but they're lack of damage were the reason those battles persisted forever. What killed the game, was no end game, and the end game that was available technically failed.. If you like .005 fps with your army standing in a castle, for 3 hours straight is a good time.. lol. It closed for that reason. As it was a reminder of past experience Shadowbane that had the same issue. That and the straight up player base abuse of guild mergers for the allegience system. This literally led to personal abuse of guild leaders stopping others from playing with their friends, this started the dwindling playerbase and probably is unknown to the developers.

Wildstar, a lot of wasted work on that game... I know it inside and out better than anyone, and I have a screenshot and was the one who discovered the flaming pile of shit the employee's left in game on one of the non accessible buildings in the game the probably was a symbol of residence of the owners of the company. Definitely internal issues, the game release was mechanically broken, and I got to experience how broken it was playing the assassin.. Technically flawed and the combat was just outright silly in its design.. perhaps they broke the assassin on purpose eh? :D. Aside from that, broken network code, and a horrible resource system, and a playerbase of scammers as all gamers seem to be today...
    There's nothing to be proud of, everyone exploits everything.. hence why we are not playing a MMORPG right now :D

Regards,
    Killcrit
    Twitch: Killcrit
    Twitter: Killcrit

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    DMKano said:
    Hariken said:
    City of Heroes bad combat was part of it's charm he says. Just Wow people trash other games for having bad combat but give COH a pass.
    I am an old Lineage and Asheron's Call player. I trashed all other mmorpg combat for years. ( I have not always been proud of that tbh)
     I blame the static EQ for the 'stand there whack a mole' combat the genre was stuck in for years.
     I was never a fan of EQ but to me the combat was and is just terrible.  
    Eq1 combat was based on 6 second rounds - it was meant to be more strategic hence super slow.

I enjoyed it for what it was meant to be - I think they pulled it off rather well for 1999

But having said all this - it was never meant to appeal to everyone, so understandably many didn't like it
    I agree with that yet I found Asheron's to be just as strategic and more in depth. I do understand the appeal though. 
    Many EQ fans didn't play the game for the combat is what I found to be true when I played it with my guild. It was the world they loved and the classes. 
    Funny thing, I have always always loved doing combat in MMORPGs, but it never had to be "good" or challenging combat, if that makes any sense.

Combat was just a means to progress my character, so it didn't matter if was running a key rotation to endlessly kill hundreds of thousands of hapless NPCs, or mine entire asteroid belts of all useful minerals.

PVP was mostly a nuisance to be largely avoided as it generally did not lead to any sort of useful progression,  in fact could very easily lead to backsliding some which always is something I loath in any game.  
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FreelancerNDFreelancerND Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Tabula Rasa
    Auto Assault
    Vanguard
    Warhammer Online

Heh =(
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited January 2020
    Which version do I miss from SWG? That shows the problem with SWG imo.

I miss the skills system from preCU, but I miss the rest from late NGE. They added/expanded on so many features during NGE (especially loved the crafting updates) and added so much content. But in all iterations there was one serious problem.

I loved :

- The world. It was a virtual world, or worlds because of the many planets.
    - Space combat and spaceships. Spaceships you could walk around in, decorate and multiplayer spaceships with different roles to fulfill for different players. (Star Citizen is not really inventing something here). Especially the (postNGE) multiplayer ships were awesome.
    - Multiplayer mounts (speeders etc)
    - Housing, player shops and player cities. You can write a thesis on this alone.
    - Crafting and it's own unique way of gathering quality based resources. Surveying, putting down harvesters, putting down factories to automate crafting. It makes the whole 'whack-a-node' gathering of most other MMO's very lame. Everything had to be crafted. It created a player based economy
    - Social aspects and RP possibilities because of the more socially aimed classes.
    - Bio engineering, to create and enhance combat pets / mounts.
    - Robot engineering, to create and customize droids (late NGE version)
    - City invasions where you could join rebels or empire and take over main cities during events.
    - Story telling and mission crafting (late NGE version)

Neutral (started out to hate them and then growing to like later on):

- NGE classes. At launch they were bare bones at best. Compared to other MMO's very limited. And even more compared to preNGE ofc when there were no classes, just skills .

But they added talent trees for the classes and also kept adding class independent talent trees to add more customization to characters throughout the NGE. Bio engineering or droid engineering for example had to be taken from these talents. This could be done with any class. So you could go full combat in your class, or go hybrid. Making a combat role that can craft or use healing droids for example. It also let crafters use powerful combat droids. Or for entertainers.

I didn't like : (this was a serious problem imo)

- Ground combat. The SWG engine was seriously outdated. There was no real Z plane in the engine. So even a small ditch in the ground as high as your foot, would block shots. Sometimes only one way! Or walls that would not block shots because of cheesy tricks in player movement.
    - Trading cards. I liked to play the trading card game, but it all became about buying packs for ingame items.

Where with any MMO I would've uninstalled the game because of that combat. SWG offered so many fully fleshed out features that I simply accepted it. But it put off many new players.

But even back then, I wished for a recreated SWG for an updated engine, so that combat would become as good as the rest of the features.