Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is The Lord of the Rings Online Too Expensive For New Players To Enjoy? - MMORPG.com

Comments

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    I tried to get into LOTRO a few months ago but it just felt like a cheap F2P game* with pay walls and 'micro'transactions all over the place... so refreshing to go back to WoW Classic** where you simply pay a sub and have access to everything in-game.

Notes:
    * This doesn't necessarily mean LOTRO is a cheap F2P game - as I only made it to about level 15 - but it certainly presents itself like one.

** I would also include FFXIV, but their cash shop seems to be ever expanding, with a lot of new and interesting cosmetics ending up in there.
    OzmodanViper482
  • RPGFiend3RPGFiend3 Member UncommonPosts: 15

muthax said:

As much as I despise 'freemium', I think the way ESO chose is better

Personally, I feel Warframe has the fairest business model out there for a F2P.
    muthaxKimo
  • quix0tequix0te Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Unfortunately it's not LoTR vs movie tickets or a concert, where it looks like a great value. It's LoTR vs GW2, ESO, TOR or Path Of Exile. And in that comparison, people just aren't willing to drop cash. You can get a AAA game for cheap.
    Ozmodan
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    acidblood said:
    I tried to get into LOTRO a few months ago but it just felt like a cheap F2P game* with pay walls and 'micro'transactions all over the place... so refreshing to go back to WoW Classic** where you simply pay a sub and have access to everything in-game.

Notes:
    * This doesn't necessarily mean LOTRO is a cheap F2P game - as I only made it to about level 15 - but it certainly presents itself like one.

** I would also include FFXIV, but their cash shop seems to be ever expanding, with a lot of new and interesting cosmetics ending up in there.
    Why didn't you try LotR Legendary? Has a sub.
  • natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    i understand these guys have got to keep the lights on but i do feel there could make it easier for new/returning players,there are many expansions which imo puts players off,not sure what the answer is but i do feel more could be done to get players to come and stay.
    Ozmodan
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The thing is I didn't mind paying for the expansions at all. I just find it insulting they have the nerve to make you pay for zone quest packs. That is beyond greed as no other MMO does this.
    Ozmodan
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

And just buying the expansions is meaningless in LOTRO because you have to buy the zone quest packs on top of that. I was shocked by this when I last played years ago. I had bought all the expansions and had no idea about zone quest packs. .

By zone quest packs I'm guessing you mean region packs and yes the first part of the game / the area of the game before the first expansion kicks in (Moria) / the Original game - those regions have to be bought separately after you've finished with the first 4 free regions. The thing there is you're only really need 2 more regions to get your level up so you can enter the first expansion area and the first you buy is generally free just because of the store points you collect while playing through those first 4 free regions. so a little cost there yes.

Of course if you want to quest in ALL of the regions just get a sub.

For the expansions you have 2 versions of each (with the exception of Helm's Deep), the full version with quests, raids and any extra shiney's or the quest pack that only includes the quests.
    Ozmodan

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

edited January 2020
    Yes the older packs are over-priced, but
    a) you really don't need them all and
    b) if you're a smart shopper you'll buy your store points when there's a double or rare triple sale so you get more for your buck and then buy the expansions you need when they're on sale so you're not paying full price and
    c) there is a quad pack that includes the first 4 expansions on various 3rd party sites which is quite a deal cost-wise.

I've seen this topic come up on a lot of sites mainly from those knocking the game 'oh heavens the game is SOOOOO expensive' and then they usually toss in 'all at once'. Well if I'm just out of the intro at lvl 5 why would I want to buy the expansion covering the end game levels? At full price?

It's still going to add up, but you buy as you go, you get them on sale and maybe you sub from time to time and save up those free store points you get with your sub and from playing the game and it won't cost quite as much.

I'm sitting at lvl 89 at the gates to Helm's Deep (expansion). I didn't buy Mirkwood, nor Rohan yet I've Epic and Bingo Boffin quested through both area's. So there's 2 I don't need to spend money on.

If you play smart you can lessen the pain on your wallet.
    SovrathPirrayaCryomatrixPo_ggGorweOzmodan

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

Hariken said:
    The thing is I didn't mind paying for the expansions at all. I just find it insulting they have the nerve to make you pay for zone quest packs. That is beyond greed as no other MMO does this.
    Age of Conan does it too.  The whole original base game is there; but Turan, Dragonspine, Valheim are all zones you have to buy to play in.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    What I would like them to do (and see how much of my money I throw at them) is to "slightly" go the Black Desert route, give up on their dopey art style, and actually make kick-ass cosmetics.

Stuff that just oozes lord of the rings as opposed to clown college.

If they made stuff that felt more realistic, weapons that actually looked good they would make a lot more money. Heck, they can even charge more.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    the quadpack , +1 month of vip just for bags traits and swift travel , 500 coins +1000 from quedpack , + all the LP u will earn is enough to bought the 5th expansion

u can farm LP points and make the game free ...its a farm-grind that i dont recommend but its an option.

GorweOzmodan
  • starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230
    its at a 130 levels now and still going higher with no end in sight the grind is that of an asian mmo unless you live your life in there you wont do much. The pvp is shit the humans/elf/dwarves/hobbits have no pvp gear get 1 shotted its just god aweful im personally waiting for the new lotr mmo to come out by amazon
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I agree they should probably come up with a better solution for new players to gain the Xpacs with the most recent one being purchased- But that said, even a few hundred dollars really isnt that much if its going to be your main game and you're spending a good amount of time there.
    someforumguyOzmodan
  • goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Yes, it is too expensive for new players. But it is too old in every aspect of MMOs too. The gameplay is stale, the grafics have been bad on even on the day of its release and the whole game is a pure grindfest only interesting for hardcore Tolkien fans anymore and you are running, running, running.

Modern games offer you much quicker ways to reach you destinations and options to get through the paywall, paying only for the last expansions. I have been a lifetimer myself, liked the game as it was new and some years after that, but time moves on and Lotro never adapted like other MMOs. It is old, clunky and quite repetitive.

Every MMO fan hooked by tolkien will have checked it out by now. New players checking reviews, prices or the grafics have no real reason to try this ancient game.
    Ozmodan
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543
    No, Lotro is not expensive.
    Example: my person. Never spent a dime on Lotro. Always played as free player. Bought almost all content, removed all restrictions, purchased many perks (especially storage spaces).
    Some simple facts:
    1) Starter areas give you some amount of Lotro points and these deeds may be almost auto-completed. You would kill spiders and orcs anyway, no escape, you would visit almost all locations. Lotro-wiki tells all deeds from all 3 regions are ~900 Lotro points.
    2) There are class deeds, like "Use grumpyness 500 times". Gives some LPs too.
    3) There are festival-related deeds. Cartographer (to collect maps) etc.
    4) At higher level, instances gives some LPs.
    In short, player should be able to do all deeds in starter areas, finish some class/race deeds, purchase, say, Trollshaws or Northdowns and still have money for another region or some upgrades (riding, gold cap removal...).

What may be considered as expensive: expansions. SSG makes several mistakes with them:
    a) not giving to VIPs for free
    b) delaying purchase for LPs
    c) overpricing for real cash.
    Minas Morgul may be considered as really expensive. Also, expansions tend to be really bad at return of investment point.

Other than expansions - game may be played if one has some 1,5 hour to spare on grinding extra 200 LP by LP grinding toon. ENough strategies to do it, if you ask me.

So, Lotro is NOT expensive to play. Takes time - yes, but with good Kinship and bit extra work - play without paying.
    Po_ggOzmodan
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited January 2020
    Without putting on the broken record, we said countless times already,
    Is it too expensive for new players to enjoy? - No.

At first I didn't want to add even that much, since we've discussed it back and forth in the past years, but gervaise1 mentioned
    gervaise1 said:
    First off this issue has been discussed in the LotR forums. Me, @Torval, @Po_gg and others have all provided "suggestions" let say. Various threads e.g. 

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/460344/searching-for-the-ultimate-spending-guide#latest

A blast from the past... I wonder how's the Book Club now. They came back to LotRO the next year for an another cycle I think. Fun times.

Nebless said:
    I've seen this topic come up on a lot of sites mainly from those knocking the game 'oh heavens the game is SOOOOO expensive' and then they usually toss in 'all at once'. Well if I'm just out of the intro at lvl 5 why would I want to buy the expansion covering the end game levels? At full price?
    I've made the same point in the previous thread, even with an example about MtG. I don't know how these "new gamers" are wired, can't understand this mindset...
    Maybe I'm too logical, but as I said in there too, a new player (at least a sane one)
    -starts for free, to check if it's even to their liking (it's an old game, not a flashy fortnite)

-after Lone-lands, IF still likes it, a one month sub. Or decide to go the free route like Lithuanian above, it's fully viable just takes extra time. (and if don't want to spend the $15, I don't see how could complain about "too expensive"...)

-if still there after the month (based on their average attention span it's a feat itself...), now that's a good time to think about how to move forward.

But a lot of these theoretical new players never reach that point, and if they complain about "high entry fee" that's their own issue.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care how a fool and his money are parting ways, if they wanna throw money at expansions they won't even see for months even if they wade through the content as no-lifers, go for it, I'm sure SSG will gladly take their purchases. It's a stupid thing to do, but hey, nowadays it's an individual right to be stupid and then complain about it...
    Ozmodan
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Nebless said:
    Hariken said:
    Age of Conan does it too.  The whole original base game is there; but Turan, Dragonspine, Valheim are all zones you have to buy to play in.
    By definition (sure, Funcom's definition :) ) those are all expansions... and Dragon's Spine is one in practice too.
    Turan is on the fence, could be seen just as an extra zone with its own endgame content.
    Vanaheim, yep. They have no excuse to call that an expansion, it was a cheap and greedy move when they priced it as one.
    Ozmodan
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited January 2020
    gervaise1 said:
    acidblood said:

Notes:

Why didn't you try LotR Legendary? Has a sub.

A - I didn't know it existed. B - From the FAQ it sounds like the Legendary server still has the cash-shop, just with certain things locked until the server progresses... i.e. it may have a sub, but it's not exactly sub-only.

Ozmodan
  • OvidelOvidel Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Hi, if i want to start playing LOTR today... How much will cost me to buy all the expansions? and all i need to enjoy the game.. And have all q. Thx.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited January 2020
    newbismx said:
    I agree they should probably come up with a better solution for new players to gain the Xpacs with the most recent one being purchased- But that said, even a few hundred dollars really isnt that much if its going to be your main game and you're spending a good amount of time there.
    But like you said, that only works if they come up with a better solution and more importantly , an easier overview. There needs to be a good starting point without feeling the need to shell out more cash because you feel left out as new player. Before you even know if you are going to like the game.
    Imo LOTRO is one of the MMO's where it's take on a f2p system doesn't work well for trying out the game.
    Ozmodan
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Ovidel said:
    Hi, if i want to start playing LOTR today... How much will cost me to buy all the expansions? and all i need to enjoy the game.. And have all q. Thx.
    Welcome to the forums! :D
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Ovidel said:
    The LotR forums stock answer: if you want to start playing it today: 0. Nothing. Download the game and try it - you might not like it. 

If you do like it much will all the expansions cost?

Pretty sure you will want to take a break before you have done all the content in all the expansions. Many of the early "quest packs" e.g. Trollshaws have content most don't even realise exists! OK the story content is heavily padded with "kill 10 rats" type of stuff but that was the EQ1 way. And it is an old game.

As for cost though from 0 - if you grind everything - through "when is the next 75% off sale -  all the way up to how much do you want to pay SSG.

It is 0 to try it and 0 to enjoy it - or hate it. Always play the game not the shop though.
    Viper482Ozmodan
  • PortzPortz Member UncommonPosts: 118
    What new players? You think people actually want to try this outdated pay2win mess?
    Agent_Joseph
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited January 2020

Sovrath said:

ohioastro said:

It's both ridiculous and deceptive to try and lure people in, and then have them find out that they have to pay for old expansions, and slog through a bunch of empty zones. I'm a huge LOTR fan, but the way that this MMO is set up is an insult to our intelligence. Played through Mirkwood, when the game got absurdly easy and playing it was just boring. Have checked on getting back in, and with the current monetization scheme, just absolutely no.

Anyone who buys a product and who hasn't done their due diligence to understand what they are buying into has to own that decision.

There is nothing luring anyone or deceiving anyone.

It's all on the site. And the game is set up like early theme-park games so it is what it is. There is a die hard community (something that people lament at being lost but one just has to "be" a part of it) and there are active guilds.

So it's on the individual to actually be a part of it if they are looking at being a part of something.

You know, your defense of this game and its monetization practices come off to others like I do when defending my decision to play FO76.

I suspect others are thinking "not sure if he's serious."

Cheers. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited January 2020
    Massively OP recently had a discussion over what was the most expensive MMORPG to play as a "regular" player.

By and large the consensus by the readers was LOTRO.

Some here say this isn't true for "reasons," but apparently this is the perception many have and very likely it costs the game not only new players, but prevents some from not returning as well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon